It has been six months since your loved one died. By this time, you will have experienced many “firsts” that follow a loved one’s death.
Jump ahead to these sections:
- 6-Month Death Anniversary Quotes for a Father or Grandfather
- 6-Month Death Anniversary Quotes for a Mother or Grandmother
- 6-Month Death Anniversary Quotes for a Partner or Spouse
- 6-Month Death Anniversary Quotes for a Sibling
- 6-Month Death Anniversary Quotes for a Child
- 6-Month Death Anniversary Quotes for a Friend
For example, your loved one’s birthday may have already passed, and your family may have found it challenging to navigate this day that is typically spent in celebration.
You may have had your first Christmas or Mother’s Day without your loved one. You may have “forgotten” that your loved one has died dozens of times and thought about calling or texting them to share news only to have the reality of the situation return with a crushing blow.
We at Cake are sorry for your loss. We want to offer this list of quotes that might help describe the feelings you have experienced over the last six months.
6-Month Death Anniversary Quotes for a Father or Grandfather
Here are quotes about death and grief that will help you realize you aren’t alone.
» MORE: Save thousands on funeral costs by knowing your options – schedule a free consultation today.
1. “For death is no more than a turning of us over from time to eternity.” – William Penn
We like this thought-provoking quote about the afterlife by the founder of Pennsylvania.
2. “Only tears can heal.” – Oscar Wilde
This line appears in The Ballad of Reading Gaol.
3. “Death is nothing at all. It does not count. I have only slipped into the next room . . . I am I and you are you whatever we were to each other, that we are still . . . ” – Henry Scott-Holland
This is from the first and second stanzas of a poem called Death Is Nothing At All.
4. “There is a land of the living and a land of the dead and the bridge is love.” – Thornton Wilder
Wilder was a playwright who wrote Our Town.
5. “She was no longer wrestling with the grief, but could sit down with it as a lasting companion and make it a sharer in her thoughts.” – George Eliot
We love this quote about grief by Victorian writer George Eliot. It reminds us that grief isn’t something we will “get through.” Instead, it is something that will be a part of us for the rest of our lives.
6. “Grief drives men into habits of serious reflection, sharpens the understanding, and softens the heart.” – John Adams
How have you changed over the last six months?
7. “And when great souls die, after a period peace blooms, slowly and always irregularly. Spaces fill with a kind of soothing electric vibration. Our senses, restored, never to be the same, whisper to us. They existed. They existed. We can be. Be and be better. For they existed.” – Maya Angelou
Angelou wore many hats throughout her lifetime. Besides being skilled with words, she was also a civil rights activist. Angelou died in 2014 at the age of 86.
6-Month Death Anniversary Quotes for a Mother or Grandmother
Your friends might struggle with what to say on your loved one’s death anniversary. This is especially true if your friends have never experienced the death of a loved one.
8. “Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality.” – Emily Dickinson
Dickinson wrote over 1,800 poems, but only 10 were published during her lifetime.
9. “The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain.” – Khalil Gibran
Gibran is the author of The Prophet.
10. “Tears are God’s gift to us. Our holy water. They heal us as they flow.” – Rita Schiano
Schiano is a personal coach and motivational speaker.
11. “If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I’d walk right up to Heaven and bring you home again.” – Unknown
This often-shared quote is popular for funeral programs, headstones, and grief tattoos.
12. “Grief is not a disorder, a disease or a sign of weakness. It is an emotional, physical and spiritual necessity, the price you pay for love.” – Earl Grollman
Grollman is a bereavement counselor.
13. “There is a sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness, but of power. They speak more eloquently than ten thousand tongues. They are the messengers of overwhelming grief, of deep contrition, and of unspeakable love.” – Washington Irving
Washington Irving was known for writing The Legend of Sleepy Hollow.
14. “Grief can’t be shared. Everyone carries it alone; his own burden in his own way.” – Anne Morrow Lindbergh
While others may mourn the loss of your mother or grandmother, we all experience grief in our own ways.
6-Month Death Anniversary Quotes for a Partner or Spouse
Whether six months or 10 years have passed since the death of your spouse or partner, you might appreciate some of the quotes about grief.
15. “Grief changes shape, but it never ends.” – Keanu Reeves
Reeves’ daughter was born still. He also lost his partner in a tragic car accident.
16. “You don’t go around grieving all the time, but the grief is still there and always will be.” – Nigella Lawson
Lawson is a food writer.
17. “You can clutch the past so tightly to your chest that it leaves your arms too full to embrace the present.” – Jan Gildwell
We realize you might be ready to embrace this idea only six months following your partner’s death, but it is something to consider.
18. “Give sorrow words; the grief that does not speak whispers the o’er-fraught heart and bids it break.” – William Shakespeare
Do you have a person you can talk to about your grief?
19. “There are three needs of the griever: To find the words for the loss, to say the words aloud and to know that the words have been heard.” – Victoria Alexander
Alexander has written many historical romance novels.
20. “You will lose someone you can’t live without, and your heart will be badly broken, and the bad news is that you never completely get over the loss of your beloved. But this is also the good news. They live forever in your broken heart that doesn’t seal back up. And you come through. It’s like having a broken leg that never heals perfectly – that still hurts when the weather gets cold, but you learn to dance with the limp.” – Anne Lamott
We hope you continue to dance.
21. “Perhaps they are not stars in the sky, but rather openings where our loved ones shine down to let us know they are happy.” – Eskimo legend
Consider this legend as you enjoy the night sky.
6-Month Death Anniversary Quotes for a Sibling
Have six months passed since you lost your sibling? Share memories of your brother or sister with others who are mourning the loss.
22. “Although it’s difficult today to see beyond the sorrow, may looking back in memory help comfort you tomorrow.” – Unknown
Sharing memories of the deceased can be comforting.
23. “It’s so curious: One can resist tears and ‘behave’ very well in the hardest hours of grief. But then someone makes you a friendly sign behind a window, or one notices that a flower that was in bud only yesterday has suddenly blossomed, or a letter slips from a drawer . . . and everything collapses.” – Colette
Perhaps this describes your experience with grief.
» MORE: Need help paying for a funeral? Let Cake help with a free consultation.
24. “These days grief seems like walking on a frozen river; most of the time he feels safe enough, but there is always that danger he will plunge through.” – David Nicholls
Nicholls is the author of One Day.
25. “The grave itself is but a covered bridge, Leading from light to light, through a brief darkness!” – Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
This quote is from The Golden Legend.
26. “Our grief is as individual as our lives.” – Dr. Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Kubler-Ross was known for her study of grief, loss, and death.
6-Month Death Anniversary Quotes for a Child
Those who have experienced the loss of a child say that it doesn’t compare with any other type of grief. If you are trying to comfort someone who has experienced this loss, here are some samples of sympathy messages. If you are the one who has suffered this devastating loss, here are some quotes to consider.
27. “Grief knits two hearts in closer bonds than happiness ever can; and common sufferings are far stronger links than common joys.” – Alphonse de Lamartine
DeLamartine was a 19th-century French poet.
28. “There should be a statute of limitation on grief. A rule book that says it is all right to wake up crying, but only for a month. That after 42 days you will no longer turn with your heart racing, certain you have heard her call out your name. That there will be no fine imposed if you feel the need to clean out her desk; take down her artwork from the refrigerator; turn over a school portrait as you pass – if only because it cuts you fresh again to see it. That it’s okay to measure the time she has been gone, the way we once measured her birthdays.” – Jodi Picoult
This is a quote from My Sister’s Keeper.
6-Month Death Anniversary Quotes for a Friend
You may be suffering from the loss of a friend. Here are some quotes about friendship that will help you celebrate that special person in your life.
29. “A friend is one who overlooks your broken fence and admires the flowers in your garden.” – Unknown
The loss of a unique person such as this is especially difficult.
30. “Many people will walk in and out of your life, but only true friends will leave footprints in your heart.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
Have you been asked to write your friend’s eulogy? Here’s a quote to use.
31. “A good friend is like a four-leaf clover: hard to find and lucky to have.” – Irish Proverb
Instead of mourning the death of your friend, celebrate the fact that you found each other.
32. “True friends are always together in spirit.” – L. M. Montgomery
Montgomery was the author of Anne of Green Gables.
33. “Your lost friends are not dead, but gone before, // Advanced a stage or two upon that road // Which you must travel in the steps they trod.” – Aristophanes
Your friends aren’t gone. You are on the same journey, but they are a few steps ahead.
34. “You cannot stop loving your friend because he’s dead, especially if he was better than anyone alive, you know?” – J. D. Salinger
Salinger was the author of Catcher in the Rye.
The Right Words Are Hard to Find
We hope you can connect with one of these quotes about grief. As you approach the six-month mark without your loved one, consider making a plan on how you mark this sad anniversary.