Nearly 1 in 4 women will have an abortion by age 45. This is a safe, common health procedure. It's very likely you know someone who has had an abortion. Unsafe abortion is a leading cause of maternal death, and it can also lead to physical and mental health complications.
Like any life event, it’s normal to have mixed feelings before, during, or after an abortion.
Whether you experience grief, relief, guilt, or a complex mixture of feelings, this is normal and valid. These feelings what make us human.
Abortions and pregnancy loss also happen under different circumstances, both personal and medical. Whether you’re supporting yourself or a loved one through an abortion, you’re not alone.
As the leading resource on all things grief and post-loss, we compiled expert resources to guide yourself or a loved one through this process.
If you need immediate support...
- Contact your local healthcare provider to find safe, trusted resources near you.
- Talk to your friends or family about your wishes so you're not alone.
If you’re not sure how to feel after an abortion...
- Learn our expert-backed tips for how to handle grief after an abortion.
- Explore the 7 things to do if you’re feeling resentment after an abortion.
- Take time for these 6 self-care practices after pregnancy loss.
- Discover the Japanese Mizuko Kuyo ritual for healing after pregnancy loss.
- Talk about it on one of these 11 forums for abortion or pregnancy loss.
- Read how to deal with the grief of an ectopic pregnancy from a full-spectrum doula.
If you feel alone after an abortion or pregnancy loss...
- Here’s how to deal with feeling abandoned by a partner after an abortion.
- Journal your feelings with these 64 grief journal prompts and questions.
- Recognize if a postpartum doula is right for you.
- Read one of our recommended books about coping with grief and pain from loss.
- Share your experience on Shout Your Abortion, and read the experiences of others.
If you’re supporting a loved one through an abortion...
- Learn what to say to someone experiencing grief after pregnancy loss or abortion.
- Send one of these thoughtful care package ideas to someone in need of kindness.
- Plan and prepare a meal train for a few days so they can focus on healing.
- Donate to the National Network of Abortion Funds to help those in need access safe healthcare.
If you need to talk to someone....
Get support around abortion, pregnancy loss, or miscarriage.
Text HOME to 741741
Connect with a free crisis counselor 24/7. Though not pregnancy-specific, these providers are ready to help.
The Miscarriage and Abortion Hotline is a 100% confidential, secure call or text line operated by a team of doctors with specific experience in abortion and miscarriage. Call or text for medical support.
National Domestic Violence Hotline
Trained domestic violence advocates are available 24/7 to talk confidentially for anyone seeking resources and help related to domestic violence or relationship abuse.