Let’s give a shout out to those wonderful sisters of our parents. We love our aunts! They are back-up parents and love you unconditionally. And even if they exasperate your parents, they always make you feel special.
Jump ahead to these sections:
- Aunt and Nephew Quotes
- Aunt and Niece Quotes
- Quotes for an Aunt’s Birthday
- Quotes for an Aunt’s Funeral or Memorial Service
- Funny Aunt Quotes
Learn how to show your aunts that you love them by spending time with them, surprising them with a favorite treat, and posting to their social media page. Here are some ideas of fun quotes to share with your beloved aunt.
We will also share some quotes that could be used when writing your aunt’s eulogy. It’s not a happy task, but you can do it with love and admiration. Let us help you with the process. Although we tried to find all aunt-specific quotes, we decided also to include some more generic quotes that celebrate the special women of our life. Whether you are honoring an aunt, mother, or older friend, these quotes may be suitable.
Aunt and Nephew Quotes
Was your aunt your first best friend? Here are some quotes about family that will warm your heart. Share these and other encouraging quotes with an aunt you love.
1. “Call it a clan, call it a network, call it a tribe, call it a family: Whatever you call it, whoever you are, you need one.” —Jane Howard
Are you lucky that your aunt is part of your tribe? Tell her today that you appreciate all that she’s done for you.
2.“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes Awww!” —Jack Kerouac
We know this quote is rather long, but we love how it perfectly describes that one aunt in everyone’s family. If you immediately know which aunt matches Kerouac’s mad ones, share this quote with her. And if you enjoyed this quote, consider reading some of Jack Kerouac’s poetry.
3. “I have perceiv’d that to be with those I like is enough.” —Walt Whitman
Do you like being with your aunt? Maybe that is enough. All you need in life is the ability to be with those you enjoy. It sounds simple, but perhaps the key to a happy life is that easy.
4. “An aunt is a safe haven for a child. Someone who will keep your secrets and is always on your side.” —Sara Sheridan
Perhaps you are so close to your aunt because she gave you a safe place to be. Some aunts find themselves thrust in the role of surrogate mothers. If this describes the relationship you had with your aunt, make sure you thank her for stepping up when others couldn’t.
Aunt and Niece Quotes
What makes your aunt so unique? Is it that she seems much more relaxed than your mom? Can you share things with your aunt that you can’t share with other people in your life? Maybe your aunt is special because she has a magnanimous personality.
Here are some quotes that celebrate those types of unique relationships.
5. “The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances. If there is any reaction, both of them are transformed.” —Carl Jung
Were you transformed when you developed a relationship with your aunt? Chances are that she enjoys the relationship as much as you do.
6. “People come into your life for a reason, a season, or a lifetime. When you know which one it is, you will know what to do for that person.” —Unknown
The beautiful part of being close to an aunt is that you know that she is a person who will be around for a lifetime.
7. “The best aren’t substitute parents. They’re co-conspirators.” —Daryl Gregory
Does this describe the type of relationship you have with your aunt? If you and your aunt have been known to get into trouble together, consider sharing this quote with her.
8. “I have always maintained the importance of aunts.” —Jane Austen
Victorian novelist Jane Austen was known for taking strong stands such as this. Seriously, aunts are important. They are another female authority figure in your family who doesn’t have as much stake in you as your mom.
Quotes for an Aunt’s Birthday
Celebrate your special aunt by posting a quote on her Facebook wall for her birthday. Or send her a bouquet of flowers and write a special quote on the card. Get creative and do something special for the woman you love. Here are some quotes to consider.
9. “As rare as true love is, true friendship is still rarer.” —Francois de La Rochefoucauld
Is your aunt one of your best friends? If so, you are a lucky person. True friendship is rare, but if you can find it in a member of your family, you are doubly blessed.
10. “Another belief of mine: that everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise.” —Margaret Atwood
Does this describe your aunt’s life philosophy of life? Share this quote with her if your aunt is merely disguised as an adult.
11. “Be a comfortable person so there is no strain in being with you—be an old-shoe, old-hat kind of person. Be homey.” —Norman Vincent Peale
A good aunt makes us feel comfortable and at peace. Thank your aunt for being that kind of person for you.
12. “Aunt: A cherished friend and personal cheerleader who will always see you through rose-colored glasses.” —Unknown
Is this your definition of the word aunt? Then you are lucky indeed. While parents seem to be more critical, aunts have the ability to overlook our faults.
Get weekly reminders to live life fully.
We'll send inspirational quotes directly to your inbox.
Quotes for an Aunt’s Funeral or Memorial Service
The best type of quote to use for your aunt’s eulogy isn’t necessarily about your familial relationship. Instead, describe the personality of the woman whose life you are celebrating. Here are some quotes for a special person’s funeral.
13. “There is only one way to be prepared for death: to be sated. In the soul, in the heart, in the spirit, in the flesh. To the brim.” —Henry de Montherlant
Did your aunt live life to the brim? Then celebrate her! Not many people live life in this manner. Tell others how she lived her best life so that they can learn from your aunt’s example.
14. “A multitude of small delights constitutes happiness.” —Charles Baudelaire
What small delights made your aunt happy? Was it a particular type of wine or sweet? Was it watching birds? Maybe your aunt delighted to spend time with you. The most satisfied people are the most contented people.
15. “There are short-cuts to happiness, and dancing is one of them.” —Vicki Baum
Do you have special memories of watching your aunt dance? Maybe it was at your wedding or perhaps in your kitchen. If your aunt was known for cutting a rug, share this quote at her service.
16. “As is a tale, so is a life: not how long it is, but how good it is, is what matters.” —Seneca
Did you lose your aunt when she was relatively young? Consider using this quote at her funeral, especially if she lived life to the fullest.
Funny Aunt Quotes
Anyone can be thoughtful or inspiring. Most people, if hard-pressed, could even be philosophical. Even though comics don’t always get the praise they deserve, it’s hard to be funny.
Here are some people’s attempts at humor about aunts and family.
17. “My family is temperamental. Half temper. Half mental.” —Unknown
We’re not saying that you can use this quote to describe your favorite aunt, but if the shoe fits... Perhaps it is this vitality that makes your aunt stand apart from others.
18. “‘Well, that escalated quickly’ is our family motto.” —Unknown
Does your aunt stand out in your family as a rabble-rouser? Here is a quote to celebrate that special gift. Perhaps you could design a family crest with this motto drawn across it on a banner.
19. “Families are like fudge. Mostly sweet, with a few nuts.” —Les Dawson
More than likely, your aunt may qualify as the nuttiest member of the family. Share this quote with her to see if the rest of your family agrees.
20. “Happiness is having a large, loving, caring, close-knit family in another city.” —George Burns
Of course, this is true for everyone except for your aunt, right?
What Special Memory Do You Have Of Your Aunt?
Everyone has a unique (or crazy) aunt story. What is your favorite memory of your mom’s or dad’s sister?
Instead of waiting to share your favorite aunt moments on Facebook after she dies, make sure your aunt knows how much you love, cherish, and adore her. Thank your aunt for being the special person in your life.