A life that brought so much joy in its brief existence will always be hard to appropriately describe. For those who must bury a child, finding some tender words as reminders of the love they continue to have can be a small solace amidst the grief.
If you recently lost a child and are searching for an appropriate headstone quote, below we have compiled a list of popular choices.
Jump ahead to these sections:
- Short Quotes for a Baby Headstone
- Poem Verses for a Baby Headstone
- Religious Verses for a Baby Headstone
- Stillborn Baby Headstone Quotes
Here are some short quotes, poems, and verses to consider for your baby’s headstone. Some refer to heaven and the afterlife, and others tell how much the child will be missed on Earth.
Short Quotes for a Baby Headstone
For some folks, finding a short and sweet quote for their child’s headstone helps. Though perhaps their baby’s life was short, the experience and love they had was limitless. Here are some small quotes to engrave on a headstone for a baby. They may also be appropriate to use for a “rest in peace” baby tattoo.
Note: Engravers typically charge per letter. As such, the longer the sentiment you choose, the more expensive the headstone will be.
1. “So little, yet so loved.”
When children enter our lives, they may be small bundles of energy, boundless in providing cheer and smiles. Hopefully, this quote can give you some solace during this heartbreaking time.
2. “R.I.P. Baby.”
You may consider using this traditional headstone epitaph on your child’s headstone. (R.I.P. stands for rest in peace.)
3. “An angel visited earth and took a flower away.”
Consider pairing this quote with the engraved image of a beautiful flower. “God’s garden” is a common theme for funeral poetry as well. There are many different versions of this type of epitaph.
4. “If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.”
This emotional statement may express your deepest wishes, and can be an appropriate quote no matter what someone’s religious beliefs may be.
5. “Forever in our hearts.”
Let others know that you will never forget the life that was taken too soon. This phrase is often found on memorial products, such as photo frames, stepping stones, and jewelry.
6. “I’ll see you on the other side of the stars.”
Some people choose to have moon and star images engraved on a headstone. This would be an appropriate saying to include next to those pictures.
Poem Verses for a Baby Headstone
Some people turn to creative outlets to express their feelings. That’s why there may even be some songs that can feel more poignant as baby funeral songs for a child.
Here are some verses that you might consider appropriate for your baby’s headstone. Some of them are small sections of larger poems, but others are rhyming verses that may encapsulate your feelings.
7. “Two little hands are resting. A little heart is still. A little son we loved is waiting for us just over the hill.”
You can alter the poem to use the word “daughter” or “child” without losing the rhyme.
8. “Before the throne of God, thousands of children stand. Children whose sins are all forgiven In a holy and happy land. Up there among the throng Our little (name) stands. Waiting for us to join him/her/them in that holy and happy land.”
This poem is rather lengthy, but it paints a beautiful picture in your mind of your child in heaven.
9. “Sweet little flower of Heavenly birth She was too fair to bloom on earth.”
Like the third quote in this article, here is another that refers to God’s garden.
10. “A little lamb too sweet and pure upon the earth to roam. An angel came so silently and took our dear child home.”
Lambs are popular images for children’s headstones. This verse can accompany a picture or statue of a baby lamb or a shepherd’s hook, both of which are common in Christain imagery.
11. “Remembering you is easy, we do it every day. Missing you is a heartache that never goes away.”
This quote could be used for anyone, as it amplifies the loss and grief that one suffers after a loved one’s death.
12. “Shed not for her the bitter tear, Nor give the heart to vain regret. ‘Tis but the casket that lies here, the gem that filled it sparkles yet.”
This would be a beautiful verse for someone that views their child’s spirit as still alive, which is another small bit to hold onto when saying goodbye to a treasured little one.
Religious Verses for a Baby Headstone
Many of the previous verses, poems, and quotes include references to the afterlife, God, or heaven. For many, there can be nothing more innocent than a child and the imagery of them going to another loved place can be soothing. Here are some more religious verses to use for your baby’s headstone.
For additional ideas, you might want to find quotes about losing a child.
13. “Father, Mother, Weep Not For Me, For I Am In Glory, Waiting For Thee.”
This rhyme may sound a bit dated, however, it brings home the sentiment that our loved ones will be waiting in a safe and loved place for us when we also leave this Earth.
14. “Sleep on sweet baby and take thy rest. God called thee home - He thought it best.”
The imagery behind this sentiment is another one that is strong in many faiths. However, make sure to explain that sleeping does not mean death if you have other small children, as they may be confused by this metaphor.
15. “Let the little children come to me and do not hinder them, for to such belongs the kingdom of heaven.” - Matthew 19:14
This is an often-quoted verse from the New Testament, and words uttered by Jesus.
16. “Ours for a little while, with Jesus forever.”
The image of Jesus holding a child or baby is often seen on small headstones.
17. “Sleep on now, and take your rest.” - Matthew 26: 45
These are the words of Jesus, but it can also make for an appropriate epitaph for anyone regardless of their age.
18. “So you have pain now; but I will see you again, and your hearts will rejoice, and no one will take away your joy from you.” - John 16:22
If you had a child who suffered from a terminal illness, this could help describe the love you had for them and the peace they may be encountering now. It can also remind you that suffering from grief is not forever.
19. “From Allah We Came and To Allah is Our Return.”
This phrase would be appropriate for a Muslim family trying to remember a young baby with a headstone.
20. “My Lord, Build for Me a Home With You in Paradise.” - Surah At-Tahrim 66:11
Consider this quote, spoken by the wife of Fir`awn, to remember a baby.
Stillborn Baby Headstone Quotes
Some families choose to honor family members who were born still by holding a funeral. Here are some quotes to use for the funeral program or within the text of the eulogy. They would also be good quotes to use on a headstone as well. You may also want to look for memorial ideas for children who did not survive.
19. “The best and most beautiful things in our world cannot be seen, nor touched, but are felt in the heart.”
You may feel frustrated at never having the opportunity to hold your stillborn child for longer than you had. That’s one reason this quote is particularly poignant for many.
20. “Each new life, no matter how brief, forever changes the world.”
This quote takes on many layers of meaning, and for those who have had to say goodbye to an expected child--hopefully they can grieve a little easier knowing that their baby made a mark on their lives in positive ways as well.
21. “There is no foot too small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.”
Some headstones feature small hand and footprints. This would be an appropriate quote to go with such an engraving.
22. “Sometimes the smallest things take up the most room in our hearts.” -A.A. Milne
A.A. Milne was the author of the Winnie the Pooh books. Many of his quotes are used on funeral programs and engraved on headstones. The life lessons shared in these stories apply to anyone, but perhaps more so for treasured children who died.
23. “There is a star in Heaven. It comes out every night. I know that star is you, (name,) who has come to say goodnight.”
Does staring up into the night’s sky remind you of the child you lost? This quote on a headstone would be a lovely way to preserve their memory.
24. “To my dear angel in Heaven, I just want you to know, you are always in my heart and how much I love you so.”
Angel imagery is also extremely prevalent on headstones for children. Sometimes the angel is seen weeping, or other angels are holding an infant in their arms.
Words for Baby Headstones
In addition to engraving words on a headstone for your lost child, you may want to consider other ways to remember them. Sometimes doing work outside or finding other ways to share your love can help you in processing your grief.
Check with your local parks department to see if you can purchase a bench, tree, or playground equipment to honor your child with a memorial plaque. If you would like to create a living memorial closer to home, consider planting a flower garden in memory of a child you lost. Hang wind chimes and plant forget-me-nots and other colorful flowers.
You can also order a personalized stepping stone for your garden that displays your child’s name. Some people choose to carry a memorial item of their loved one at all times, such as a piece of jewelry or a tattoo.
Regardless of how you choose to remember the child you lost, realize that other people have gone through a similar experience as you. Consider reaching out to support groups or grief counselors. It can feel extremely lonely to be dealing with the death of a baby.
A loved one is wanted at any point in their life, but it takes on a truly precious and otherworldly meaning to want and love a child--especially one that briefly experienced on Earth. You are not alone in treasuring the love you experienced and the joy that you felt while having your baby in your arms.
Sharing that love with the world may help you and others process your grief over the death of a loved baby.