Think of the life-changing events you’ve experienced during your years on this planet. You may think about walking down an aisle. You may think about when you received the call that said you were hired for your dream job. Probably one of your most memorable events was when you welcomed a baby into the world.
Here are some short quotes about babies to welcome a new baby into the family. You can use them as Facebook posts, to write in cards, or to display in a nursery.
Jump ahead to these sections:
- Quotes to Welcome a Baby Boy
- Quotes to Welcome a Baby Girl
- Funny Quotes About Babies
- Quotes for Baby Announcements
- Quotes to Remember a Baby Who Passed Away
We will also give you quotes to help you express the heartbreak that comes with losing a baby.
Quotes to Welcome a Baby Boy
How do you express the delight of bringing a baby boy into the world? Here are some of the ways our best writers and poets were able to describe it.
1. “There is an enduring tenderness in the love of a mother to a son that transcends all other affections of the heart.” —Washington Irving
American author Washington Irving was known for writing Rip Van Winkle and the Legend of Sleepy Hollow. He must have experienced great love from his mother to have written such a poignant quote.
2. “Sons are born to make their fathers better men.” —Mekael Shane
How many times have you seen what is described in this quote happen in real life? You may wonder how an immature kid who always seems to make poor decisions will ever be able to raise a child. Somehow, many of those immature kids turn into amazing fathers.
3. “If I have a monument in this world, it is my son.” —Maya Angelou
Maya Angelou must have thought a lot about her son. After all, one would think that Maya Angelou’s poetry would act as her most significant monument.
4. “Men are what their mothers made them.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson
For some reason, people are quick to laud fathers for raising good sons. Ralph Waldo Emerson thinks the credit (or blame) should be given to the mothers.
5. “You are loved for the boy you are, the man you will become, and the precious son you will always be.” —Anonymous
We think this would make a lovely saying to hang in a little boy’s room. When he learns to read, he will know that he was always loved and will always be loved.
Quotes to Welcome a Baby Girl
Did you or someone you know recently welcome a little girl into the world? It may be outdated to refer to girls as “sugar and spice and everything nice” so here are some other quotes to use to describe the birth of a girl.
6. “Courage, sacrifice, determination, commitment, toughness, heart, talent, guts. That’s what little girls are made of.” —Bethany Hamilton
American surfer Bethany Hamilton updated the old quote to describe what little girls are made of. Hamilton is known as the surfer who returned to the sport after being attacked by a shark.
7. “She stands firmly on her own two feet, and I just behind her; should she ever need me.” —J. Iron Word
Most women want to raise strong, self-sufficient daughters. This quote reflects how the mother fits into that relationship.
8. “No daughter and mother ever live apart, no matter what the distance between them.” —Christie Watson
Of course, when you first have a baby, you can’t imagine a time when you wouldn’t see your daughter every day. Regardless, it’s helpful to know that the mother/daughter bond can withstand even a great distance.
9. “Words can not express the joy of new life.” —Hermann Hesse
Boy or girl, the birth of a baby brings such joy. Hermann Hesse was a German novelist.
10. “The happiest days are when babies come.” —Miss Melly in Gone With the Wind
Those who remember the 1939 classic, “Gone With the Wind,” may remember this quote that Miss Melly said to Mammy after Scarlett gave birth to a little girl.
Funny Quotes About Babies
Babies are amazing miracles, great blessings, and a lot of work. If you recently had a baby, you are going to have to learn how to develop a sense of humor. Here are some quotes about the lighter side of having babies.
11. “Love can change a person the way a parent can change a baby—awkwardly, and often with a great deal of mess.” by Lemony Snicket
This quote speaks about babies on two levels. We will let you choose whether you want to take the high road or the low road when interpreting this quote.
12. “The only creatures that are evolved enough to convey pure love are dogs and infants.” —Johnny Depp
Sure, Johnny Depp is known for his quirky behavior, but he was able to hit the nail on the head with this quote.
13. “Ah, babies! They’re more than just adorable little creatures on whom you can blame your farts.” —Tina Fey
At least babies are good for something. We bet you have never met a baby that is any good at vacuuming or washing windows.
14. “You can learn many things from children. How much patience you have, for instance.” —Franklin P. Jones
If you are beginning your life as a mom or dad, you may not be able to imagine a time when your sweet infant will frustrate you. Sorry to tell you, but the time will come when this quote will make a lot more sense to you.
15. “Having a baby is like suddenly getting the world’s worst roommate.” —Anne Lamott
They wake you up at all hours, eat all your food, and at some point, seem to manage to put holes in your walls.
Quotes for Baby Announcements
Are you looking for a touching quote to add to a baby announcement? Here are some to consider. You may think about using one of these quotes to decorate the outside of a baby memory box or box that holds baby keepsakes.
16. “And then my soul saw you, and it said, ‘Oh, there you are. I’ve been looking for you.’” —Anonymous
This quote could be used for many different purposes. You could use it to describe when you met your soulmate for the first time. Of course, it could also be used to describe having a baby.
17. “I think that I see something deeper, more infinite, more eternal than the ocean in the expression of the eyes of a little baby when it wakes in the morning and coos or laughs because it sees the sun shining on its cradle.” —Vincent Van Gogh
Who knew that Van Gogh was so poetic?
18. “I love these little people; and it is not a slight thing when they, who are so fresh from God, love us.” —Charles Dickens
We have all felt our heartstring pull when a baby smiles at us. Charles Dickens was right: “it is not a slight thing.”
19. “There are no words that can describe the euphoria you feel when your baby recognizes you for the first time and smiles.” —Jared Padalecki
Infants are said to be able to recognize voices they hear while in the womb. Perhaps this accounts for this early recognition.
20. “Children bring us a piece of heaven on earth.” —Roland Leonhardt
Babies are truly heaven-sent. Hold on to your babies as long as you can.
Quotes to Remember a Baby Who Passed Away
We would be remiss not to include quotes for those parents who lost a baby. This is one of the hardest things that a person can experience. In fact, you may want to seek counseling if you lost a child or at least read about others’ experiences in books about losing a child.
21. “Any woman who’d ever lost a child knew of the hollowness that remained within the soul.” —Brittainy C. Cherry
“Hollow” is often the descriptive word chosen to describe how one feels when losing a child.
22. “We do not ‘get over’ a death. We learn to carry the grief and integrate the loss in our lives. In our hearts, we carry those who have died. We grieve and we love. We remember.” by Nathalie Himmelrich
Remember the child you lost. After all, your grief comes with love.
23. “I have heard it said that the greatest loss a human being can experience is the loss of a child. This is true. It doesn’t just change you. It demolishes you. The rest of your life is spent on another level.” —Gloria Vanderbilt
Gloria Vanderbilt tragically lost her son Carter when he was only 23. Her experience after this loss is poignant here.
24. “Sweet little flower of heavenly birth, you were too fair to bloom on earth.” —Anonymous
Perhaps you might want to use this sentiment on the headstone for a child.
25. “Grief is the price we pay for love.” —Queen Elizabeth II
This often-used quote seems particularly perfect for someone who lost a child.
Other Things to Consider
Hold fast to your infant. The cliche is true: “the days are long, but the years are short.” Before you know it, your infants will be starting school. And that’s when things really start to speed up.
When you hit those rough spots (and you will), tell yourself that this, too, shall pass. Try to be patient. They are only young for a short time.
- “Babies Quotes.” Goodreads.
- “New Baby Quotes. Gifts.com.