None of us get through life unscathed. At some point, you’ll face a heartbreaking situation. Whether you lose a relationship, encounter the strain of financial stress caused by a job loss. And at some point, you will probably lose a grandparent, parent, or spouse.
Jump ahead to these sections:
- Bible Verses for Strength After the Death of a Loved One
- Encouraging Bible Verses About Strength
- Bible Verses and Strength and Courage in Other Difficult Times
- Bible Verses About Strength and Growth
- Bible Verses About Strength and Love
- Bible Verses About Strength and Healing
No matter what’s happening, Christians find comfort from the promises that God makes in the Bible. Here are some verses to refer to when you feel like life has not turned out as you hoped. Whether you need to read a psalm about healing or verses about grief, here are some Bible verses for strength to consider.
Bible Verses for Strength After the Death of a Loved One
If you are a Christian, you know about God’s salvation plan promised in the Bible.
Even if you know that your loved one is in heaven, you may be struggling with the loss. You may feel frightened, lonely, and sad. Here are some verses to help you find strength after experiencing overwhelming loss.
Read and memorize these for your own comfort and share them with others as well.
1. “I can do all things through him who gives me strength.” Philippians 4:13
Many people have a difficult time returning to even daily tasks after experiencing loss. This is a reminder that God gives you strength in any situation, no matter how heartbreaking or overwhelming.
2. “He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.” Revelation 21:4
This verse is from the last book of the New Testament. It is a book of prophecy written by John and offers hope to every Christian.
3. “The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.” Psalm 34:18
If you are feeling “crushed in spirit,” know that God is near you. God is also with you when your heart feels broken. This is promised in the Bible, this time in the Old Testament book of Psalms.
4. “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.” Matthew 5:3
This is one verse from what are called the Beatitudes. They were given to us by Jesus during the Sermon on the Mount. There are eight Beatitudes. Others include: “Blessed are they who mourn, for they shall be comforted. Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.”
5. “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1:9
Joshua had much to be afraid of during his life on Earth. This verse reminds us that there is no reason for fear and discouragement because God is with us wherever we go and whatever we encounter.
Encouraging Bible Verses About Strength
Are you struggling to know what to say to a friend or coworker who is going through a bad time? Consider sharing one of these verses with your friend. Sign the note “sending strength and love.”
Perhaps it is you that is struggling with feelings of weakness. Write one of these verses on your bathroom mirror or post it on your refrigerator. Read it every time you pass by throughout the day.
Someone in your life needs to hear these Bible verses about strength. Consider posting them on your social media accounts so that others can feel uplifted.
6. “God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging.” Psalm 46: 1-3
The Bible doesn’t promise that Christians will be immune to disasters. Instead, the Bible promises that God will be our refuge and strength during those difficult times.
7. “Do not grieve, for the joy of the Lord is your strength.” Nehemiah 8:10
This line appears in many songs, but you may not understand the context of this verse. Go back and read the entire chapter of Nehemiah.
You’ll learn how the Israelites were afraid after hearing of all the laws they disobeyed. They were instructed not to grieve, even though they deserved punishment. Instead, God’s love and joy for having them back deserved celebration.
8. “So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” Isaiah 41:10
The book of Isaiah offers much comfort and encouragement. It describes God’s majesty and compassion. Share this verse with someone going through an overwhelming situation right now.
9. “Surely God is my salvation; I will trust and not be afraid. The Lord, the Lord, is my strength and my song; he has become my salvation.” Isaiah 12:2
Here’s another verse from Isaiah that celebrates God’s salvation plan. Consider reading the entire book of Isaiah to be inspired by gems like these.
10. “My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.” Psalm 73:26
None of our bodies will last forever, but God’s love does. Many modern hymns are psalms set to music.
Bible Verses for Strength and Courage in Other Difficult Times
Cancer patients aren’t the only people who need positive strength and courage messages. Sometimes daily life is overwhelming enough without having a horrible health diagnosis. Here are some Bible verses to share with others who need some inspiration just to get out of bed in the morning.
Remember, even people who seem as if they have it all together may be suffering. It’s a mistake to assume that if someone has a smile on her face that she doesn’t need to receive messages of strength.
11. “That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.” 2 Corinthians 12:10
This verse is for those who feel attacked for their beliefs. God strengthens those who face persecution for holding firm to their convictions.
12. “Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power.” Ephesians 6:10
We shouldn’t rely on our own strength to fight battles. Instead, we need to rely on the power of God.
13. “The Lord is my light and my salvation — whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life — of whom shall I be afraid?” Psalm 27:1
We all need this reminder when life gets overwhelming. Share this verse with your family during your darkest days, so they understand how you get the strength to deal with difficulties.
14. “But Jesus looked at them and said to them, ‘With men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.’” Matthew 19:26
You may feel like you are faced with an impossible situation. While we aren’t promised trouble-free lives, Christians do know that God’s power has no limits.
15. “Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to mankind by which we must be saved.” Acts 4:12
This verse gives details in God’s salvation plan. Luke wrote the Book of Acts in the New Testament.
Get weekly reminders to live life fully.
We'll send inspirational quotes directly to your inbox.
Bible Verses About Strength and Growth
You might not be facing any struggles right now. Perhaps life is easy and predictable, and things are going well. While it would be easy to sit back and enjoy the ride, maybe this is the time to focus on how to help others and your own spiritual growth.
Here are some Bible verses to consider about growing in your faith.
16. “I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the Kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it.” Mark 10:15
Do you have the faith of a child? Think about what this means as you evaluate your relationship with God.
17. “Truly, I say to you, whoever says to this mountain, ‘Be taken up and cast into the sea,’ and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that what he says will come to pass, it will be done for him. Therefore, I tell you, whatever you ask in prayer, believe that you receive it, and you will.” Mark 11:23-24
This is another verse from Mark that records the words of Jesus. This passage is also about faith. Study these words as you work to grow your faith.
18. “In the day of trouble I will call upon thee, for thou wilt answer me.” Psalm 86:7
Are you feeling discouraged by your fickle friends? This verse reminds us that God will answer your calls “in the day of trouble.”
19. “Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.” Matthew 11:28
Jesus offers many words of encouragement to believers. If you are struggling because you feel your faith is stagnant, ask for help from the Holy Spirit.
20. “Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:4-9
We love this verse because it gives strength to believers who find themselves in many different circumstances.
Bible Verses About Strength and Love
Search the Bible for the word “love,” and you will encounter hundreds of entries. We hope these verses will offer you encouragement and comfort.
21. “For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.” John 3:16
This famous verse describes a love story of the ages. These words give every Christian strength and love.
22. “Peace I leave with you, My peace I give unto you; not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.” John 14:27
These are the words of Jesus soon before his crucifixion.
23. “And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God.” Romans 8:28
Share this quote with a brother or sister in Christ to encourage them.
24. “Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I entrust my life.” Psalm 143:8
Consider starting each morning in the word before you face the complexities of this world.
25. “And so we know and rely on the love God has for us. God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in them.” 1 John 4:16
This verse deserves multiple readings. Consider meditating or journaling on this verse.
26. “And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.” 1 Corinthians 13:13
This passage from 1 Corinthians is sometimes used as readings at weddings.
27. “Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves.” Romans 12:10
We know how hard it is to “honor one another above yourselves.” That’s why love requires strength.
28. “For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.” Romans 8:38-39
We hope you feel encouragement from this verse written by the Apostle Paul.
Bible Verses About Strength and Healing
Are you healing from a physical illness or surgery? Or are you recovering from someone’s unkind words or a broken heart? Regardless of why you need strength in the upcoming days, weeks, and years, here are some passages to encourage you.
29. “The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want; He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters; he restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name’s sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil; for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.” Psalm 23
This verse is one of the most recognizable in the Bible, but instead of glossing over it, take time to examine each phrase. It speaks of the promise of God to be with us, even in the darkest of times.
30. “I lift up my eyes to the hills – where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth. He will not let your foot slip – he who watches over you will not slumber; indeed, he who watches over Israel will neither slumber nor sleep.” Psalm 121
As you struggle with healing from physical, emotional, or mental pain, consider these words from Psalm 121. The Book of Psalms is an excellent resource for people looking for strength in times of trouble.
31. “I will not leave thee nor forsake thee.” Hebrews 13:5
If you are new to reading the Bible, and you are uncomfortable with the formal-sounding language (including the words “thee” and “thy”), stop by a local Christian book store and ask for a recommendation for a more modern translation that you might find easier to read.
32. “Let not your heart be troubled. Ye believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father’s house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.” John 14: 1-3
This statement of Jesus leads to Thomas asking how they will know the way. Jesus’ answer? “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.”
Other Ways to Encourage Others
If you know someone going through a difficult time, you can offer encouragement in other ways. If that person is Christian, share one of these quotes from the Bible. Even if your friend is sitting on the fence about his faith, sharing a verse may start a dialogue that could lead to something great.
You may also consider sharing a video of a positive, encouraging song. Surprising your friend with a sweet treat or her favorite coffee might start her day off right. Of course, never discount a simple text message that states, “I know things are hard right now. I’m here for you.”
We hope that these verses encourage you, but you may also consider reaching out to a doctor, therapist, counselor, or social worker if life seems overwhelming.
If you're looking for more ways to encourage a loved one, read our guides on how to write a letter of encouragement for someone with cancer and encouraging gifts.