Are you feeling nostalgic? Let us help you relive your past with some quotes about childhood memories. After reading these, you may want to flip through old photo albums and yearbooks and connect with your childhood friends on Facebook.
Jump ahead to these sections:
- Funny Quotes About Childhood Memories
- Inspirational Quotes About Childhood Memories
- Childhood Memory Quotes About Friendship
- Happy Quotes About Childhood Memories
- Quotes About Innocence and Childhood Memories
You may also want to use these quotes to decorate a memory book or scrapbook of old pictures and memorabilia. Consider texting one of these quotes to your oldest friend or sharing this entire article on social media.
Funny Quotes About Childhood Memories
Why not accompany your trip down memory lane by listening to songs about growing up? Songs like "Jack and Diane" by John Mellencamp or "My Wish" by Rascal Flatts offer bittersweet memories, so check out some funny quotes about childhood memories instead.
1. "Were we closer to the ground as children, or is the grass emptier now?" — Alan Bennett
What was the most significant treasure you uncovered while digging in the dirt as a kid?
2. "I never forget a face, but I'll make an exception in your case." — Groucho Marx
You can use this line at your next class reunion when you meet a bunch of old people who claim to be your childhood friends.
3. "Childhood is like being drunk. Everyone remembers what you did except you." — Unknown
Aren't you glad there wasn't a modern cellphone at every event you attended as a kid? No one wants photographic proof of past mistakes.
4. "If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to avoid the lava, then you've never had a childhood." — Unknown
Avoiding hot lava might be as universal of a childhood activity as playing hide and seek and building forts.
5. "Sometimes I wish I had a terrible childhood so that at least I'd have an excuse." — Jimmy Fallon
You can always rely on Jimmy Fallon to come up with a witty line.
Inspirational Quotes About Childhood Memories
You want to appreciate your past, not live in it. Some quotes can remind us that while you may want to remember the past, remember that good lies in the future as well.
6. "Life isn't a matter of milestones, but of moments." — Rose Kennedy
You may not remember your high school graduation ceremony, but you remember what your crush said to you as you sat next to him in high school physics.
Rose Kennedy was the mother of John and Robert Kennedy.
7. 'Life can only be understood backward, but it must be lived forward." — Soren Kierkegaard
No matter what your childhood was like, you can't return to the past. Soren Kierkegaard was a Danish philosopher who worked during the 1800s.
8. "Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things." — Robert Brault
What little things do you miss about your earlier life?
9. "Most of our childhood is stored not in photos, but in certain biscuits, lights of day, smells, textures of carpet." — Alain de Botton
Even icky smells can remind you of something pleasant about your childhood.
10. "It's never too late to have a happy childhood." — Tom Robbins
This quote may make you scratch your head. What Tom Robbins may have been saying is that instead of focusing on the negative happenings of your youth, you could attempt to train your brain to focus on the positive things that happened.
Childhood Memory Quotes About Friendship
Are you still connected with the friends of your youth? While social media makes it easier to maintain those relationships than ever before, some may feel it better to merely cherish the memories. Read through these quotes about childhood friendships.
11. "With rue my heart is laden for golden friends I had, for many a rose-lipt maiden and many a lightfoot lad." — A.E. Housman
This quote may describe the longing you have in your heart for the carefree relationships of your childhood.
12. "A friend is one who knows you as you are, understands where you've been, accepts who you have become, and still gently invites you to grow." — Anonymous
The type of friend described in this quote should be cherished.
13. "I find as I grow older that I love those most whom I loved first." — Thomas Jefferson
Your childhood relationships may have been simple, easy friendships where you could bond with other kids over the shared love of unicorns.
14. "Lots of people want to ride with you in the limo, but what you want is someone who will take the bus with you when the limo breaks down." — Oprah Winfrey
Do you have friends who have grown with you as your circumstances have changed?
15. "Growing apart doesn't change the fact that for a long time we grew side by side; our roots will always be tangled. I'm glad for that." — Ally Condie
People come and go in your life. Even if you can maintain a close relationship with everyone you have encountered doesn't mean that you can't cherish those memories with them.
Happy Quotes About Childhood Memories
While none of these quotes come from songs about memories, we could have found nuggets of wisdom from "You're My Best Friend" by Queen or even "Friends in Low Places" by Garth Brooks. These quotes about the past may resonate with you.
16. "Nothing recalls the past so potently as a smell." — Winston Churchill
What scent blasts you back to your childhood? Cigarette smoke? Lavender? Pinesol?
17. I am beginning to learn that it is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all." — Laura Ingalls Wilder
Laura Ingalls Wilder wrote the "Little House" books, and she knew a thing or two about the simple things of life.
18. "In childhood, we press our nose to the pane, looking out. In memories of childhood, we press our nose to the pane, looking in." — Robert Brault
Children often dream of being grown and gone. At another point in your life, you may think with longing what you have left behind.
19. "Think for a minute, darling: in fairy tales it's always the children who have the fine adventures. The mothers have to stay at home and wait for the children to fly in the window." — Audrey Niffenegger
Audrey Niffenegger wrote "The Time Traveler's Wife."
20. "Did you know that childhood is the only time in our lives when insanity is not only permitted to us, but expected?" Louis de Bernières
Did this quote make you think of a particular childhood experience?
Quotes About Innocence and Childhood Memories
People long to return to their childhood because it was a time many were protected from some of the harsh realities of life. As a child, you may have experienced very little loss, but now you are struggling to figure out how to keep your loved one's memories alive.
21. "Yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away." — John Lennon
While many perks come with fame, many negative consequences occur from it as well.
22. "I didn't belong as a kid, and that always bothered me. If only I'd known that one day my differentness would be an asset then my early life would have been much easier." — Bette Midler
Bette Midler was from Hawaii and was voted "most talkative" in her class.
23. "I remember, I remember,
The fir trees dark and high;
I used to think their slender tops
Were close against the sky;
It was a childish ignorance,
But now 'tis little joy
To know I'm farther off from heav'n
Than when I was a boy." — Thomas Hood
We love this verse about the magic of childhood ignorance. Sometimes being knowledgeable about life is overrated. Hood was an English poet who wrote in the early 19th century.
24. "There was a time when meadow, grove, and stream,
The earth, and every common sight,
To me did seem
Apparelled in celestial light,
The glory and the freshness of a dream." — William Wordsworth
William Wordsworth was aptly named since he ended up being a famous poet.
25. "No matter what happens, always keep your childhood innocence. It's the most important thing." — Federico Fellini
It's easy to become jaded as you age, especially if you follow politics and constantly watch the news.
Find the Right Words
Were you able to connect with at least a few of these quotes about childhood memories? Since everyone has different experiences, it isn't easy to find a selection that speaks to every situation.
Whether you embrace the memories of your childhood and enjoy thinking about your past or you look back on your early years as some of the most painful in your life, you may appreciate this quote by President John Kennedy: "Those who look only to the past or the present are certain to miss the future."