It’s hard to be there for someone who is going through a difficult time, especially when there’s nothing you can do to fix the problem. You can make dinner, run errands, or help your loved one around the house but none of these tasks will comfort someone who is hurting or grieving.
Jump ahead to these sections:
- Comforting Quotes About Grief and Death
- Comforting Quotes About Finding Peace
- Comforting Quotes About Strength and Resilience
- Comforting Quotes From the Bible
- Comforting Quotes for the Loss of a Parent
- Comforting Quotes for the Loss of a Child
- Funny Comforting Quotes
- Inspiring and Comforting Quotes
- Quotes About Self Comfort
Here are some comforting quotes to share with a friend or family member going through a difficult time. Text the quote, read it in person, or share it on your friend’s Facebook wall. While no words can fix some problems, they can act as a salve for a difficult situation.
Comforting Quotes About Grief and Death
Are you looking for words of comfort to share with someone who is hurting? Here are some quotes to consider adding to the bottom of a sympathy card or using in the text of a eulogy.
Remember, grief is not something that you recover from or get through. Still, these quotes may provide a bit of comfort to someone who is hurting right now.
1. “We are healed of a suffering only by experiencing it in full.” — Marcel Proust
This doesn’t mean your friend will be healed from grief. This quote means grief isn’t something you should try to hide from or avoid. Instead, you should experience it and make it part of your life.
2. “There is a sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness, but of power. They speak more eloquently than ten thousand tongues. They are the messengers of overwhelming grief, of deep contrition, and of unspeakable love.” — Washington Irving
Your tears show that you loved deeply. We don’t mourn those we didn’t love, according to Washington Irving, an American author who wrote “The Legend of Sleepy Hollow.”
3. “Those who do not weep, do not see.” — Victor Hugo
There’s something beautiful about a person’s tears. It means that you genuinely had your eyes open to the person you lost. Victor Hugo’s most famous work was “Les Miserables.”
4. “What soap is for the body, tears are for the soul.” — Jewish proverb
Tears cleanse our souls, but they don’t heal them.
5. “Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality.” — Emily Dickinson
Those who are in our hearts never really die. Dickinson wrote a lot about death and pain in her poems.
6. “Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.” — Matthew 5:4
This verse is from a section of the Bible called the Beatitudes. It is found in the New Testament when Jesus gave his sermon on the mount. Also included in the Beatitudes is this statement: “Blessed are you who are poor, for yours is the kingdom of God.”
7. “There is no normal life that is free of pain.” — Fred Rogers
Fred Rogers comforted a generation of children and adults with his award-winning TV show. At first glance, this quote may not be especially comforting, but when you consider that every person you know has and will feel pain, it helps put things in perspective.
8. “Sometimes it’s okay that the only thing you did today was breathe.” — Yumi Sakugawa
Grief is so encompassing that it sometimes keeps people from performing even the most mundane tasks. If your friend was able to eat, sleep, and breathe today, that might be enough.
9. “May love be what you remember most.” — Darcie Sims
There are a lot of complicated emotions connected with death. Many people feel anger and regret but it’s important to focus on the love we felt for the person we lost.
10. “It’s so much darker when a light goes out than it would have been if it had never shone.” — John Steinbeck
These words from American author John Steinbeck will give comfort to a friend who’s hurting. John Steinbeck wrote “Of Mice and Men,” “The Grapes of Wrath,” and “The Pearl.”
Get our free checklist for navigating loss 💙
Enter your email to get your free roadmap for the steps after loss in your inbox.
Comforting Quotes About Finding Peace
One way you can assist a hurting loved one is by sending comforting text messages.
Remember, a person may need comforting for a variety of reasons. Perhaps your friend is going through a failed relationship, a legal battle, or a job loss. Some of the following quotes may not be appropriate for someone grieving the loss of a loved one, but they may work for other stressful situations. Here are some quotes that may help find the perfect words.
11. “Let life happen to you. Believe me: life is in the right, always.” — Rainer Maria Rilke
Sometimes it does very little good to fight against the pain. Your grieving friend may feel better to accept the pain and find peace with it.
12. “Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened.” — Unknown
If your friend recently lost someone, why not suggest that he or she host a celebration of life? During this event, friends and family can swap fun, happy stories about the person who died.
13. “Tell your heart that the fear of suffering is worse than the suffering itself.” — Paulo Coelho
As some people age, they have less fear and more peace in their souls. Paulo Coelho is most famous for his novel “The Alchemist.”
14. “You cannot protect yourself from sadness without protecting yourself from happiness.” — Jonathan Safran Foer
Sad and bad things are going to happen to you. Trying to protect yourself from sad things means that you may draw barriers up that keep you from good things.
15. “Nothing is as bleak as it seems at the time.” — Unknown
Whether your friend lost a job or broke up with a boyfriend, those tragic events sometimes end up being small blips in a person’s life.
16. “The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain.” — Kahlil Gibran
We love this quote by Lebanese poet Kahlil Gibran. It creates fantastic imagery that is not soon forgotten.
17. “The cure for the pain is the pain.” — Rumi
Rumi was a Persian poet and Islamic scholar who lived in the 13th century.
Comforting Quotes About Strength and Resilience
Are you looking for encouraging quotes to share with someone who is going through a hard time? These quotes talk about showing strength and resilience after suffering a defeat or loss.
18. “The best way out is always through.” — Robert Frost
Think about how one action each day may help you get through any difficulty you’re enduring. You may have to take baby steps, but each movement you make toward recovery and peace should be applauded.
19. “Everything in life is just for a while.” — Philip K. Dick
This, too, shall pass.
20. “The problem is not to find the answer; it’s to face the answer.” — Terence McKenna
Some problems have no solution, or maybe you know the solution, but you don’t want to face it.
21. “When you stumble and fall, there you discover the gold.” — Joseph Campbell
When you think back on your life, what positive things came to you as a result of your darkest hour?
22. “Fall seven times. Stand up eight.” — Japanese Proverb
Life is going to keep knocking you down. You have to stand up each time and keep on moving.
23. “I’m glad to be here. I’m glad to be anywhere.” — Keith Richards
No one seems more resilient than Keith Richards. After living a rock and roll lifestyle, he still survives. He seems to understand how lucky he is, which is why he made this comment.
24. “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson after.” — Vernon Law
The key to a good life is to learn from those hard lessons instead of being defeated by them.
25. “Nothing is a waste of time if you use the experience wisely.” — Auguste Rodin
Instead of lamenting that you spent so much time on a failed relationship or business, think about how the experience helped you grow as a person.
Comforting Quotes From the Bible
If you are trying to comfort a Christian grieving the loss of a loved one, look for quotes from the Bible. Many passages speak of the promise of the afterlife and about God's comforting hand.
26."He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds." Psalm 147:3
The person you are comforting may believe their loved one is in Heaven. However, that doesn't mean the loss doesn't sadden them. Remind your friend that God will help them during their time of grief.
27. "Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of comfort." 2 Corinthians 1:3-7
This is the first verse of a longer passage that you might want to share with a Christian in mourning. It continues with the discussion of how believers share in both suffering and comfort.
28. "A time to mourn and a time to dance." Ecclesiastes 3:1-8
This is a small section from Ecclesiastes 3. The passage begins, "There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven." Included in these seasons is a "time to mourn and a time to dance" as well as a "time to tear down and a time to build."
29. "Now is your time of grief, but I will see you again and you will rejoice, and no one will take away your joy." John 16:22
Your friend or family member may not be ready to hear this promise. They might feel guilty at the idea of being happy after their loved one's life was cut short. However, there will come a time when this quote may bring them great joy.
30. "But Christ has indeed been raised from the dead, the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep. For as in Adam all die, so in Christ all will be made alive." 1 Corinthians 15:20, 22
This message of the afterlife will surely appeal to a believer who recently lost a loved one.
31. "But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." Isaiah 40:31
You might be familiar with some of the praise songs and hymns that were written from this verse.
Download your free end-of-life plan.
Enter your email below to get your free checklist in your inbox.
Comforting Quotes for the Loss of a Parent
Losing your mom or dad can be life-changing. Here are some quotes to comfort a friend who has gone through this type of loss.
32. "A cut finger is numb before it bleeds; it bleeds before it hurts, it hurts until it begins to heal; it forms a scab and itches until finally, the scab is gone and a small scar is left where once there was a wound. Grief is the deepest wound you ever had. Like a cut finger, it goes through stages, and leaves a scar." Unknown
We wish we knew who to credit this description of grief. It is essential to realize that each person's grieving experience is different.
33. "Hearts are breakable. And I think even when you heal, you're never what you were before." Cassandra Clare
This is a quote from the novel City of Fallen Angels. The loss of a parent changes the way you think and feel. It changes your life.
34. "Ah, woe is me! Winter is come and gone, But grief returns with the revolving year." Percy Bysshe Shelly
Perhaps this quote shouldn't be labeled as "comforting." However, its message is important. Your friend won't quit grieving the loss of a parent. The feelings may change, but the grief will be forever a part of their lives.
35. "In a world of such beauty as birds in flight, surely I can come to feel at home again, even after my loss." Martha Whitmore Hickman
Spending time in nature may give your friend or family member a moment of peace. Suggest taking a walk or going for a drive out in the country.
36. "Give sorrow words; the grief that does not speak
Whispers the o'er fraught heart and bids it break." William Shakespeare
If you are spending time with a person who recently lost a loved one, you might hesitate to mention the person's name. This might be a mistake. Your friend might want to talk about their parents. After all, we should "give sorrow words."
37. "The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain." Khalil Gibran
Joy may be the farthest thing from your friend's mind, but this quote might give them hope.
Comforting Quotes for the Loss of a Child
There's little you can say to comfort someone who lost a child. Here are some quotes about the grieving process that speak to what they are going through.
38. "And when great souls die, after a period peace blooms, slowly and always irregularly. Spaces fill with a kind of soothing electric vibration. Our senses, restored, never to be the same, whisper to us. They existed. They existed. We can be. Be and be better. For they existed." Maya Angelou
We love this quote by poet and activist Maya Angelou. It gives us chills.
39. "She was no longer wrestling with the grief, but could sit down with it as a lasting companion and make it a sharer in her thoughts." George Eliot
After realizing that their grief will never go away, the deceased's parents may come to terms with their new reality.
40. "My life was suddenly divided into before and after, and there was no going back to before. But then I realized I had a choice to live the after. I had to decide." Brenda Neal
Of course, living after the loss of a child is easier said than done. Don't push. Just be there for your friend.
41. "Grief is the rope burns left behind when what we have held to most dearly is pulled out of reach, beyond our grasp." Stephen Levine
Your friend may be comforted with this description of how they may be feeling.
42. "The more we love, the more we are hurt when we lose the object of our love. But if we are honest with ourselves, would we have it any other way?" C.S. Lewis
This quote is from C.S. Lewis's A Grief Observed, which he wrote after the death of his wife.
43. "Some things cannot be fixed. They can only be carried." Unknown
As much as we would like to take away the pain of our friends, it is impossible. We can only hold their hands as they continue with life.
Funny Comforting Quotes
It takes great skill to make someone laugh when they are going through a stressful time. It also takes a special relationship. Here are some quotes that might work to comfort someone stressed and anxious if they are not easily offended. Of course, they may not be appropriate in every situation.
44. “Life is a short visit to a toy shop between birth and death.” – Desmond Morris
Desmond Morris wore many hats. He was a zoologist, author, and sociologist.
45. “It’s never too late, in fiction or in life, to revise.” – Nancy Thayer
Nancy Thayer is an American author.
46. “Life is full of misery, loneliness, and suffering – and it’s all over much too soon.” – Woody Allen
Yes, this is a dark quote about life, but it’s pretty funny.
47. “Life is one long process of getting tired.” – Samuel Butler
This quote might comfort someone who has recently gone through the wringer.
48. “Life is better than death because it’s less boring and there are fresh peaches.” – Alice Walker
Alice Walker is the author of The Color Purple.
49. “Time is a dressmaker specializing in alterations.” – Faith Baldwin
We love the imagery of this quote.
50. “If life gives you lemons, squirt the juice in people’s eyes.” – Leo Roberts
Leo Roberts is a British actor and singer.
51. “Life is a game played on us while we are playing other games.” – Evan Esar
Evan Esar was an American humorist.
52. “Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.” – Voltaire
Even though we like this quote, it didn’t sound like something that the French philosopher would have said, and although this quote is widely attributed to Voltaire, he really wrote, “Everything is a shipwreck; save yourself who can!”
53. “Life is a moderately good play with a badly written third act.” – Truman Capote
Truman Capote was famous for writing In Cold Blood, which is considered one of the first true-crime novels.
54. “If you reduce your expectations to zero, life becomes a series of happy surprises.” – Tuck Andres
Tuck Andres was a French philosopher.
55. “It may be that the sole purpose of life is to serve as a warning to others.” – Steven Wright
Steven Wright was a comedian known for his unique style of delivery.
56. “Any idiot can face a crisis – it’s the day-to-day living that wears you out.” – Anton Chekhov
Anton Chekhov is often considered one of the greatest fiction writers of all time.
Get weekly reminders to live life fully.
We'll send inspirational quotes directly to your inbox.
Inspiring and Comforting Quotes
Caregivers and those who care for caregivers have a tough job. Here are some quotes to inspire and comfort those going through difficulties.
57. “Life isn’t a matter of milestones, but of moments.” – Rose Kennedy
Rose Kennedy was President Kennedy’s mother.
58. “I am beginning to learn that it is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all.” – Laura Ingalls Wilder
Focusing on those sweet, simple things may help someone get through a crisis.
59. “If I had my life to live over again . . . I would have more actual troubles and less imaginary ones.” – Nadine Stair
This is a quote to read before you go to bed – especially if your anxiety causes insomnia.
60. “Life is too tragic for sadness. Let us rejoice.” – Edward Abbey
Edward Abbey was an author and environmental activist.
61. “Life is no brief candle to me. It is a sort of splendid torch which I’ve got hold of for the moment and I want to make it burn as brightly as possible before handing it on to the future generations.” – George Bernard Shaw
George Bernard Shaw wrote My Fair Lady.
62. “Life is like a blanket too short. You pull it up and your toes rebel. You yank it down and shivers meander about your shoulder. But cheerful folks manage to draw their knees up and pass a very comfortable night.” – Marion Howard
I don’t know if I’ve ever heard of life described in this way. This is brilliant.
63. “Life is not the way it’s supposed to be. It’s the way it is. The way you cope with it is what makes the difference.” – Virginia Satir
Many quotes offer this similar sentiment.
64. “Remember, life is not what happens to you but what you make of what happens to you. Everyone dies, but not everyone fully lives. Too many people are having ‘near-life experiences.’” – Unknown
Here’s another “grab life by the horns” quote.
65. “So much sadness exists in the world that we are all under obligation to contribute as much joy as lies within our powers.” – John Sutherland Bonnell
It’s our obligation to spread joy. Let that sink in.
66. “The grand essentials to happiness in this life are something to do, something to love, and something to hope for.” – Joseph Addison
Many people struggle with the “something to do” when they retire.
Quotes About Self-Comfort
Do you struggle with a negative internal dialogue? Here are some quotes to replace that negative energy throughout your day.
67. “I live by this credo: Have a little laugh and look around you for happiness instead of sadness. Laughter has always brought me out of unhappy situations. Even in your darkest moment, you usually can find something to laugh about if you try hard enough.” – Red Skelton
Red Skelton was an American comic and actor.
68. “Happiness is not a state to arrive at, but a manner of traveling.” – Margaret Lee Runbeck
Consider traveling with people through life who also look for happiness.
69. “Make up your mind to be happy. Learn to find pleasure in simple things.” – Robert Louis Stevenson
Robert Louis Stevenson was the author of Treasure Island.
70. “There is only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving, and that’s your own self.” – Aldous Huxley
Aldous Huxley was the author of Brave New World.
71. “Nothing can bring you peace but yourself.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
Read this quote again.
72. “Every day, in every way, I’m getting better and better.” – Emile Coue
Emile Coue was a psychotherapist who encouraged the practice of optimistic autosuggestion.
73. “What you think of yourself is much more important than what others think of you.” – Seneca
Seneca was a Roman philosopher.
74. “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
Eleanor Roosevelt was the First Lady longer than any other woman in history.
75. “Don’t compromise yourself. You are all you’ve got.” – Janis Joplin
Janis Joplin was born in Texas.
76. “We have a mental block inside us that stops us from earning more than we think we are worth. If we want to earn more in reality, we have to upgrade our self-concept.” – Brian Tracy
Brian Tracy is a motivational speaker.
77. “Know how to live within yourself: There is in your soul a whole world of mysterious and enchanted thoughts; they will be drowned by the noise without; daylight will drive them away; listen to their singing and be silent.” – Fyodor Tyutchev
Fyodor Tyutchev was a Russian poet.
78. “I celebrate myself, and sing myself.” – Walt Whitman
Take time today to read Walt Whitman’s “Song of Myself.”
79. “We are the choices we make.” – Meryl Streep
While true, this is sometimes hard to hear.
80. “The important thing is this: to be able at any moment to sacrifice what we are for what we could become.” – Charles Du Bos
Charles Du Bos was a French essayist and critic.
How to Be a Good Friend
A good friend helps others during difficult times. This can be done in a variety of ways.
You can provide rides to the airport, clean your friend’s bathroom, or show up to her house with a breakfast casserole. You can help your friend create a dating profile, a resume, or assist your friend in writing a eulogy for a loved one's funeral.
But you don’t always need to complete an action item to show that you are a good friend.
You can also be a good friend by sitting together in silence. You can be a good friend by keeping your friend’s confidences. You can also be a good friend by sharing comfort quotes or reassuring words, including the quotes we’ve included above.