Remember playing with your cousins at family gatherings and special occasions? Cousins can be your first friendships and the first people you learn to love outside of your immediate family. If you think about it, you likely have some incredible memories with your cousins.
Jump ahead to these sections:
- Funny Quotes About Cousins
- Quotes About Growing Up With Your Cousin
- Quotes to Show That You’re a Proud Cousin
- Quotes for a Cousin’s Eulogy or Funeral
You may feel compelled to speak on a cousin’s behalf when he or she passes away. In that event, it may be helpful to have a quote that expresses exactly what you feel for this person.
Here are a few cousin quotes that express the value of this relationship and some of the memories you may have had together.
Funny Quotes About Cousins
You've likely had your fair share of laughter with your cousin. Here are a few quotes that are silly and fun that may explain exactly how you feel about that special cousin in your life.
1. "God made us cousins because he knew our mothers couldn't handle us as siblings." — Unknown
Cousins can sometimes get into some pretty sticky situations together. This quote will certainly ring true for you if you and your cousin have ever gotten into mischief! Your parents were probably relieved they could send your cousin home after a long day.
2. "Nobody will understand the craziness of your family better than your cousins." — Unknown
Family dynamics are interesting, to say the least. Fortunately, you never have to explain a thing to your cousin because he or she has experienced it with you firsthand. There's something very comforting about having a friendship that completely understands your family.
3. "My cousin is my favorite partner in crime." — Unknown
"Partner in crime" is certainly a dynamic that many cousins share with each other. This is a person you can count on, no questions asked!
4. "I smile because you're family. I laugh because there's nothing you can do about it!" — Unknown
Your cousin never had a choice in the matter! This quote perfectly sums up how many people feel about the cousins in their life.
5. "A grandparent’s house is where a cousin becomes a best friend." — Unknown
There's something about being free at your grandparent's house. This is the place where cousins have the ability to create great memories with each other.
Quotes About Growing Up With Your Cousin
The best part about having a cousin is the fact that you get to create so many memories together! Consider yourself incredibly lucky if you had the joyful experience of growing up with your cousin.
6. "Friendship is the only cement that will ever hold the cousins together." — Woodrow Wilson
Being true friends with your cousins is what keeps your bond strong. Creating memories, having fun, and being there for one another is what cements a lifelong friendship.
7. "At Christmas, cousins are the presents under the tree." — Karen Decourcey
Consider any family function you've ever had in your life. The best part of that holiday or gathering was probably that you got to see your favorite cousin!
8. "A cousin is someone who knows all about you, but likes you anyway.” — Unknown
Cousins often know us on a very personal level. It's nice to have a relationship with someone who truly knows everything about you and still wants to be in your life.
9. "Cousins are friends that will love you forever." — Constance Richards
The love that cousins have for each other is unlike anything else. It's an unshakeable bond that truly withstands the test of time.
10. "A cousin sees the first tear, catches the second, and stops the third." — Unknown
Cousins are often your "no matter what" people. They can see you at your most vulnerable, help you rise above it, and provide a perfectly-timed joke to help you feel better.
Quotes to Show That You're a Proud Cousin
Cousins mean a lot to us. Here are a few quotes that demonstrate just how much they matter in our lives, and how their presence has a significant impact on us.
11. "A real cousin walks in when the rest of the world walks out." — Unknown
Chances are, you'll never have to face the world alone if you have a cousin. These people just seem to "get it" and always show up when they’re needed the most.
12. "Within our family, there was no such thing as a person who did not matter. Second cousins thrice removed mattered." — Shirley Abbott
Even extended cousins could be an important part of your childhood.
13. "Cousins are many. Best friends are few. What a rare delight to find both in you." — Unknown
It’s such a treat to have a cousin that is also your very best friend. It’s someone who understands you on a deeper level.
14. "Cousins are those rare people who ask how we are and then wait to hear the answer.” — Ed Cunningham
Who genuinely cares about you the most? Your parents, sure. And your cousins!
15. "Treasure your cousins. They were your first friends and will love you forever." — Unknown
Cousins are some of the first people that you create a bond within your life. It’s important to understand their value and never take that for granted.
Quotes for a Cousin's Eulogy or Funeral
If you have a close bond with your cousin, then there will come a day when the hardest thing you will have to do is say good-bye. Here are a few quotes that may be appropriate for your cousin’s funeral or as short eulogy examples.
16. "My dear young cousin, if there's one thing I've learned over the eons, it's that you can't give up on your family, no matter how tempting they make it.” — Rick Riordan
This is a beautiful summary of what a cousin may be in your life. The relationship may not be without its ups and downs, but it's still important to love each other through those challenging times.
17. “You don't choose your family. They are God's gift to you, as you are to them.” — Taraji P. Henson
This simple yet beautiful quote is the perfect reminder of what a cousin's friendship truly means to each and every one of us.
18. “Cousins are more than cousins; they are best friends that are there for us through it all.” — Heather Mills
If you have a close relationship with your cousin, then you already know that this statement is so very true. Cousins are more than just family members, they’re friends you can rely on throughout your life.
19. "A cousin is someone whose smile helps when the roads are rough and long." — Unknown
Friendship and care from your cousin are likely so helpful when you’re experiencing a difficult time. Your cousin’s love and presence mean more than you may be able to explain.
20. "Cousins are different beautiful flowers in the same garden." — Unknown
Cousins come from the same bloodline but have their very own strengths and personality — they could be altogether different from you.
21. "In my cousin, I find a second self." — Isabel Norton
So often, our cousins are so close that they become similar to you. This is a testament to how much cousins are a part of your life.
22. "Born as a cousin, made as a friend." — Byron Pulsifer
It's true that cousins are born into our lives, but it is our choice that they become our nearest and dearest friends.
23. "Cousins are connected heart to heart, distance and time can't break them apart." — Unknown
It's not uncommon for cousins to move away from each other and start their own lives. However, time and distance don't weaken the bond.
24. "I always call my cousin because we're so close. We're almost like sisters, and we're also close because our moms are sisters." — Britney Spears
This quote clearly explains how the strength of the family can create a bond between cousins.
25. "Time passes, and we may be apart. But cousins always stay close at heart." — Unknown
Cousins become the people that you can count on no matter what. This quote is a beautiful reminder of that love.
Words that Inspire
It can be difficult to come up with the best way to express how much someone means to you. Each of these quotes offers a different way to express just how much the cousin in your life means.
As you consider end-of-life planning, make sure you have the right words to express just how much your cousin means to you.