Though grief may never fully go away, the pain will lessen over time, and you’ll find yourself learning how to navigate life again. Death anniversaries, however, can be particularly impactful times when you relive the circumstances surrounding a loved one’s death.
Jump ahead to these sections:
- 1 Year Death Anniversary Quotes for a Daughter
- 10 Year Death Anniversary Quotes for a Daughter
- Religious Death Anniversary Quotes for a Daughter
- Non-Religious Death Anniversary Quotes for a Daughter
- Condolence Quotes to Share With a Loved One on Their Daughter’s Death Anniversary
Use death anniversaries as they come around to honor the life and memory of your daughter or daughter-in-law, continue her legacy, and remind yourself of the sweet times you shared together. Here are some of our favorite quotes that you can read, journal about, or share online during the death anniversary of your loved one.
1 Year Death Anniversary Quotes for a Daughter
The first anniversary of a loved one's death can be particularly meaningful and difficult to navigate. We hope these daughter-focused quotes about death bring a spark of hope to your heart.
1. “Our daughters are the most precious of our treasures, the dearest possessions of our homes and the objects of our most watchful love.” – Margaret E. Sangster
The love between a daughter and her parents is a precious treasure. Though your daughter may no longer be present, you can carry the love she had for you and her memory with you for all of time.
2. “Our dead are never dead to us until we have forgotten them.” – George Eliot
You will always hold the memory of your daughter close to you. As long as her memory lives on in your thoughts and heart, then she is never fully gone and will never disappear from your life.
3. “There is a sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness, but of power. They speak more eloquently than ten thousand tongues. They are the messengers of overwhelming grief, of deep contrition, and of unspeakable love.” – Washington Irving
We grieve, mourn, and cry because we have loved greatly. Allow the tears you weep to flow on behalf of the precious love you and your daughter shared. You don’t need to be “strong.” Your tears are a testament to the relationship you shared with your daughter.
4. “Words are not enough to express the unconditional love that exists between a mother and a daughter.” – Caitlin Houston
You could probably spend the rest of your life dwelling on the depths of love you had and still have for your daughter. Take some time on the first anniversary of her death to think about what made your relationship so special.
5. “No daughter and mother ever live apart, no matter what the distance between them.” – Christie Watson
Even a separation caused by death cannot truly or fully separate the love and relationship that a mother and daughter share. Keep this love close to you as you miss your daughter's daily presence in your life.
10 Year Death Anniversary Quotes for a Daughter
Along with one-year and five-year anniversaries, a 10-year death anniversary is an important date to recognize. Here are several quotes that are appropriate for reading and sharing for a daughter’s 10-year death anniversary.
6. “Love grows more tremendously full, swift, poignant, as the years multiply.” – Zane Grey
Love grows whether the person we love is present with us or not. If you find yourself missing your daughter more and your love growing deeper as you mark the tenth anniversary of her death, know that this is a natural thing to experience.
7. “Death ends a life, not a relationship.” – Mitch Albom
The relationship you shared with your daughter can never truly be ended. As long as you have your memories, the spirit of your daughter will always be with you. On this tenth anniversary, consider taking time to journal about the ways your daughter’s influence is still felt in your life.
8. “It is not length of life, but depth of life.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
Your daughter’s life might have been short, but the depth of love and relationship you shared is what is most important. Whether you got to love your daughter for one day, one year, or 20 years, the depth of your relationship is something to remember and commemorate.
9. “No one is actually dead until the ripples they cause in the world die away.” – Terry Pratchett
So long as your daughter’s influence is felt and her presence remains with you, she is never truly gone. Keep her memory alive by carrying on her legacy.
10. “Neither fire nor wind, birth nor death can erase our good deeds.” – Buddha
Even though your daughter may not be present, the things she did, the kindness she shared, and the good she accomplished in the world and in her family will always be felt. The ripple effect of one kind deed has the potential to continue indefinitely.
Religious Death Anniversary Quotes for a Daughter
If you need to share a message of condolence for the loss of a daughter, consider adding one of these quotes to your card if the family is religious.
11. “It is not death to die, to leave this weary road, and join the saints who dwell on high, who’ve found their home with God.” – Bob Kauflin
Is your daughter in heaven? Her absence on earth might be unbearable, but knowing that she is with God in heaven can bring comfort to help ease the days of heartbreaking pain.
12. “Even death is not to be feared by one who has lived wisely.” – Buddha
Did your daughter live a life you were proud of? No matter how long or short her life, you can hold onto the good she did, the influence she had, and how she made your family’s world a better place.
13. “We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.” – 2 Corinthians 5:8
If you know your daughter is in heaven, this Bible verse can provide comfort as you mourn her departure. If she was in pain on earth, you can take comfort in knowing that she is free of pain in heaven. Her life hasn’t stopped. Rather, the next chapter has begun.
14. “Goodbyes are only for those who love with their eyes. Because for those who love with heart and soul there is no such thing as separation.” – Rumi
Though there is no denying the pain of physical separation between you and your daughter, you can keep her memory and spirit close with you in your heart for your whole life.
15. “Our lives do not end with death.” – Pope Francis
For those who have a hope of heaven and eternal life, life does not end with death. If your daughter is in heaven, her life has just begun. For those in heaven, death is the turning of a page in a book and the starting of a new chapter.
Non-Religious Death Anniversary Quotes for a Daughter
These quotes about a daughter are timeless, just like your love for her.
16. “To live in the hearts of those we love is never to die.” – Thomas Campbell
As long as you carry your daughter’s memory with you, she is never truly dead. Her presence, memory, and legacy will be felt forever as you carry her with you through life.
17. “Good men must die, but death cannot kill their names.” – Unknown
Though every person must pass away, death cannot fully erase a good person’s legacy and memory from the earth. Even after their names are no longer spoken, their impact is felt in waves like ripples on into the ages.
18. “Those we love and lose are always connected by heartstrings into infinity.” – Terri Guillemets
Death cannot separate us from the love we have for those closest to us. Even though they are no longer present, we can carry the love we shared for all time.
19. “How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.” – A. A. Milne
Saying goodbye to a precious and beloved daughter is one of the hardest things a parent will ever face. What makes it so difficult is that you are saying goodbye to a relationship and a person you treasured, loved, and valued.
20. “What we once enjoyed and deeply loved we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes part of us.” – Helen Keller
Though your daughter is no longer present on earth, she will forever be part of you. Her life, her legacy, her memory, and her love are things that can never be taken away from you, even by death.
Condolence Quotes to Share With a Loved One on Their Daughter’s Death Anniversary
Writing a condolence card and figuring out what to say on a death anniversary can be difficult. We hope these timeless quotes inspire you when you write your message to a hurting mom or dad.
21. “ The goal isn’t to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” – Chuck Palahniuk
What about your daughter lives on today even though she is no longer present? Is it her kindness or generosity? Is it the way she could always make you laugh? Perhaps it was her ability to befriend anyone. Your daughter’s legacy can live on forever.
22. “Mother is a verb. It’s something you do. Not just who you are.” – Cheryl Lacey Donovan
Being a mother doesn’t stop, even if your daughter has passed away. You’ll still think about her, love her, talk to her, and wish she was around. Being a mother doesn’t end, and the love you have for your daughter will continue for the rest of your life, even in her absence.
23. “A mother’s and daughter’s love is never separated.” – Viola Shipman
The love you shared with your daughter can never be diminished or destroyed. Your relationship on earth might have stopped, but the love you had for each other can still continue. Keep her love with you, and she’ll be with you no matter how much time has passed.
24. “A mother’s treasure is her daughter.” – Catherine Pulsifer
Your daughter is a precious treasure even though she is no longer physically present with you. Hold her memory and spirit close in your heart as you would treasure a precious gift, and she’ll never truly be gone.
25. “Children and mothers never truly part, bound in the beating of each other’s heart.” – Charlotte Gray
The love, relationships, experiences, and memories you share with your daughter can never be taken away. Even death cannot take away your daughter’s memory, spirit, or legacy.
Honoring a Daughter With Quotes
The relationship between a mother or father and daughter is unique and special. That bond and love shared never goes away, even if a daughter passes. We hope these quotes will help you to hold the love of your daughter close and remember all the good times you shared together.