Perfect words are available everywhere and you might even have a few choice quotes that you have memorized for various occasions. And then comes a challenging time where words leave you. The circumstances are totally different, or you find yourself wracking your brain to say anything to encourage someone. The truth is, words are hard, no matter if you’re reading them, writing them, or saying them.
Jump ahead to these sections:
- Encouraging Quotes for Kids
- Encouraging Quotes for Students and Teens
- Religious Encouraging Quotes
- Funny Encouraging Quotes
- Encouraging Quotes for Someone Who Experienced a Loss
- Encouraging Quotes for Friends
- Encouraging Quotes for Moms and Dads
- Encouraging Quotes for a Sick Person
However, you may not need to pull out a quill and a scroll to scratch down the most beautiful prose to comfort someone. Sometimes, a loved one might just need a little encouragement or a little boost to get them through the day.
Encouraging Quotes for Kids
Bringing a smile to a kid’s face makes you both feel better. Whether they’ve got a cold or you just want to encourage them a little, these are great quotes to write in a heartfelt card.
1.“If you have good thoughts they will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely.” – Roald Dahl, Author
This quote is a kid-appropriate reminder to keep strong and steady and remain positive. That can be really important for a child.
2. “Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts. ” – Albert Einstein, Inventor
Lots of kids have big, exciting dreams. And they can reach those dreams with a little encouragement!
3. “Winning doesn’t always mean being first. Winning means you’re doing better than you’ve done before. ” – Bonnie Blair, Author
It often takes time to learn that you’re only in a race against yourself.
4. “In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.” – Theodore Roosevelt, President
Even kids have to make ethical decisions. Without much life experience to lean on, kids might be tempted to do nothing which can be worse. Teaching kids the value of action helps them to understand how their voices are considered as well.
5. “Why fit in when you were born to stand out?” – Dr. Seuss, Author
Some kids will do anything to blend in. It seems like the best way to avoid being bullied but embracing their own differences is part of growing up.
Encouraging Quotes for Students and Teens
Being a teenager or student is a difficult time. It’s full of transitions and responsibilities that might feel discouraging.
6. "When the whole world is silent, even one voice becomes powerful." – Malala Yousafzai, Activist
As a powerful young activist, Malala’s voice continues to bring global attention to education for girls using her words.
7. "When you get into a tight place and everything goes against you...never give up then, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn." – Harriet Beecher Stowe, Activist
When things get really tough, it’s tempting to give up. You’ve come this far, but nothing is working. Stowe insists that you hang on a little longer.
8. "Sometimes in life, we take a leap of faith. Remember, the leap is not about getting from one side to the other. It's simply about taking the leap...and trusting the air, the universal breath will support your wings so that you may soar." – Kristi Bowman, Author
Trusting in something you can’t see is the definition of bravery.
9. "You can waste your lives drawing lines. Or you can live your life crossing them." - Shonda Rhimes, Writer
Teens are often taught about boundaries, which is a good thing. But many times, self-imposed boundaries constructed from fear are meant to be crossed.
10. "Just don't give up trying to do what you really want to do. Where there is love and inspiration, I don't think you can go wrong." - Ella Fitzgerald, Musician
Many teens are making big decisions about their futures when it comes to work and college. Reminding them that’s it’s good to do what they love is important.
Religious Encouraging Quotes
For many people, religion is the core or foundation of their life. Taking comfort in it supports many people during tough times, no matter what they believe.
11. "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, and for those who have been called according to His purpose." – Romans 8:28
Understanding that your life circumstances will turn out for the better is hard to believe. But for many Christians, this verse could be very comforting.
12. “Life is much larger than birth and death, failure and success. You are the unblemished, pure, eternal self. Knowing this, you will walk like a king.” – Sri Sri Ravi Shankar, Spiritual Leader
This quote may fit some religious philosophies—that believing in yourself is all that’s necessary.
13. "He gives power to the weak and strength to the powerless." – Isaiah 40:29
Trusting in God to carry their burdens is very comforting for some people.
14. "Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you." – 1 Peter 5:7
Giving all your anxiety away to God is a great way to lift your burdens.
15. “The greatest religion is to be true to your own nature. Have faith in yourselves.” – Swami Vivekananda, Monk
Being true to yourself helps some people live boldly and feel encouraged.
Funny Encouraging Quotes
You might not need a major inspirational moment. All you might need is a quick laugh!
16. “Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.” – Thomas Edison, Inventor
Not being afraid to roll up your sleeves is a good way to be successful!
17. “People often say that motivation doesn’t last. Well, neither does bathing – that’s why we recommend it daily.” – Zig Ziglar, Author
Getting a dose of daily motivation is important—because as Ziglar says, it doesn’t hang on as long as we’d like.
18. “If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.” – Dalai Lama, Monk
Consider the persistence of a mosquito. It might change your opinion.
19.“If at first you don’t succeed, then skydiving definitely isn’t for you.” –Steven Wright, Comedian
There are some things that are best left tried once. But that doesn’t mean you can’t try other things.
20. “All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” – Mark Twain, Author
Twain’s tongue-in-cheek humor reminds us what success really takes.
Encouraging Quotes for Someone Who Experienced a Loss
These are great options to put in sympathy messages or special cards.
21. "What we once enjoyed and deeply loved we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes part of us." — Helen Keller, Activist
When you love someone, you never actually lose them. Their memories will always be in your heart.
22. "Perhaps they are not the stars in the sky, but rather openings where our loved ones shine down to let us know they are happy." — Unknown
Looking up at the sky is a great way to remember your loved ones. Maybe, somewhere, they’re looking down at you.
23. "God gave us memory so that we might have roses in December." — J.M. Barrie, Author
As the author of Peter Pan, J.M. Barrie knew all about whimsy and memory, especially when it life feels too cold and boring.
24. "Death is a challenge. It tells us not to waste time. It tells us to tell each other right now that we love each other." —Leo Buscaglia, Author
Relationships and love are always difficult. But death is a powerful reminder of what’s most important in our lives.
25. "When it is darkest, we can see the stars." — Ralph Waldo Emerson, Philosopher
If you’re struggling with what to say to someone who is sick, this might be a comforting option to put in a card.
Encouraging Quotes for Friends
Giving your friends a boost can also make your day better.
26. "Stay afraid, but do it anyway. What's important is the action. You don't have to wait to be confident. Just do it and eventually the confidence will follow." – Carrie Fisher, Actress
Some people struggle with starting. They might not feel confident, or ready. Fisher insists that readiness will come after you take that first leap of faith.
27. "When someone tells me 'no,' it doesn't mean I can't do it, it simply means I can't do it with them." – Karen E. Quinones Miller, Journalist
No doesn’t always mean no. Sometimes it means that you should ignore the naysayers and follow your own path.
28. "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." – Winston Churchill, Politician
Soldiering on takes a lot of courage, even when it feels like the odds are against us.
29."We are products of our past, but we don't have to be prisoners of it." – Rick Warren, Evangelist
It’s hard for some people to move beyond rough pasts. Warren gently reminds us that being held prisoner by your past doesn’t have to happen to you.
30. "I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it." – Thomas Jefferson, Politician
Hard work and luck are always intertwined.
Encouraging Quotes for Moms and Dads
Being a parent can sometimes feel like the hardest job of all, and requires a bit more encouragement at times.
31. “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It’s not.” – Dr. Seuss, Author
As you teach your children to develop into their own little humans with personalities, remember that your care will not go waste with them. Every hug and encouraging thought counts when raising a child.
32. “I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do.” – Edward Everett Hale, Author
The all-encompassing responsibilities of parenthood are never-ending. However, even putting a pair of socks on your little one or reminding your child to bring their shin guards to practice is helpful.
33. “The happiest people I know are those who lose themselves in the service of others.” – Gordon B. Hinckley, Minister
Serving others, especially as a parent, can be incredibly rewarding.
34. “As we lose ourselves in the service of others, we discover our own lives and our own happiness.” – Dieter F. Uchtdorf, religious Leader
While parenthood absolutely changes your life, it can also change your personality and life for the better. Nothing like little accidents to help infuse you with wisdom.
35. “Not all of us can do great things, but we can do small things with great love.” – Mother Teresa, Activist
Doing small things can sometimes turn into great accomplishments if you are consistent.
Encouraging Quotes for a Sick Person
Sick people often have a lot on their plate. Whether they’re just trying to get better or starting end-of-life planning, it can be a very stressful time.
36. "Self-compassion is simply giving the same kindness to ourselves that we would give to others. " – Christopher Germer, Author
It’s easy to be very self-critical when ill. But Germer insists you should give yourself a break, especially when not at your best.
37. "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. " – Dr. Seuss, Author
Don’t force yourself to ‘put up a good front’ or pretend to be something you’re not, it can be more trouble than its worth in terms of energy.
38. "When you recover or discover something that nourishes your soul and brings joy, care enough about yourself to make room for it in your life. " – Jean Shinoda Bolen, Psychiatrist
When you’re sick, it’s easy to forget about things that made you happy. However, this quote reminds us to always seek moments of nourishment and joy, even when it feels less than likely.
39. “I’ve been searching for ways to heal myself, and I’ve found that kindness is the best way.” – Lady Gaga, Singer-Songwriter
Sometimes, you can’t do anything to make yourself better, but showing kindness to others is a great way to start.
40. “I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to my fellow-creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” – William Penn, Politician
Life throws many obstacles our way, and sometimes remembering to be your best can be hard. However, when you try, it can be rewarding and fulfilling.
Sharing Special Quotes
If you’re looking to write something unique in a card, these quotes might be perfect. There may be pressure to find the right words, but never forget that sometimes the right words have already been written. All you have to do is find them. Hopefully some of these quotes above have helped in the journey.
- University of Southern California. “30 Inspirational Quotes for When the Going Gets Tough.” 28 February 2014, msw.usc.edu/mswusc-blog/31-inspirational-quotes-for-when-the-going-gets-tough/
- Independence University. “38 Inspiring Quotes to Help You Stay Motivated Through College.” n.d., www.independence.edu/blog/inspiring-quotes-to-stay-motivated
- American University. “25 Inspirational Quotes for Teachers.” 17 July 2018, soeonline.american.edu/blog/25-inspirational-quotes-for-teachers
- Rasmussen University. “Inspirational Quotes to Motivate You Through the Quarter.” 01 October 2012, www.rasmussen.edu/student-experience/college-life/inspirational-quotes-to-motivate-you-through-the-quarter/
- University of the People. “20 Motivational Quotes for Students.” www.uopeople.edu/blog/20-motivational-quotes-for-students/
- Southern New Hampshire University. “Personal Growth Quotes.” 5 January 2017, www.snhu.edu/about-us/newsroom/2017/01/personal-growth-quotes
- American College of Healthcare Sciences. “7 Inspirational Quotes for When You’re Feeling Unmotivated.” 11 January 2018, info.achs.edu/blog/7-inspirational-quotes
- Tulane University. “15 Inspirational Quotes for Social Workers.” 29 July 2018, socialwork.tulane.edu/blog/15-inspirational-quotes-for-social-workers