Firefighters put themselves in harm’s way every time they show up to a call. Unfortunately, approximately 65 firefighters lose their lives each year in the line of duty.
Jump ahead to these sections:
- ‘RIP’ Firefighter Funeral Quotes
- Short Quotes to Share on a Firefighters Memorial Page or Social Media
- Firefighter Funeral Quotes to Share on a Death Anniversary
We would like to offer our condolences if you are planning the funeral services for a loved one who was a firefighter. It is worth mentioning that some funeral homes give discounts on their services to the families of firefighters.
We would additionally like to help by providing this list of quotes. You might use these in the eulogy, the funeral program, or to display during a slideshow of photos.
‘RIP’ Firefighter Funeral Quotes
Are you looking for a quote about death to use for your loved one’s funeral? While many people use quotes about grief and loss, you might also want to consider using a quote about bravery, sacrifice, and honor.
1. “When I am called to duty, God, wherever flames may rage, give me strength to save a life, whatever be its age.”
There are a lot of different firefighter prayers and poems. These are the first two lines of one of the poems. This particular piece ends: “And if according to your will I have to lose my life,
bless with your protecting hand, my loving family from strife.”
2. “Give Me Concern // A willingness to seek out those in need // Give Me Courage // The boldness of spirit to face and conquer fear, // share and endure the ordeal of others in need. // Give Me Strength // Strength of heart, to bear whatever burden // might be placed on me and strength of body to // deliver safely all those placed in my care // Give Me Wisdom to Lead // The Compassion to comfort and the Love to serve unselfishly wherever you take me. // And please Lord, through it all, be at my side.”
We know that this is more of a poem than a quote, but these beautifully written words would be a poignant choice to use at a firefighter’s funeral.
3. “When a man becomes a fireman his greatest act of bravery has been accomplished. What he does after that is all in the line of work.” – Edward F. Croker
Edward F. Croker was a firefighter and famous for creating laws to safeguard against fire hazards.
4. “The role of a firefighter in today’s society – be it urban, rural, natural environment, volunteer, career, industrial, defense force, aviation, motorsport, or other is one of dedication, commitment, and sacrifice – no matter what country we reside and work in. In the fire service, we fight together against one common enemy – fire – no matter what country we come from, what uniform we wear or what language we speak.” – Lt. J. J. Edmondson
Edmondson is the founder of International Firefighters’ Day.
5. “The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.” – Thucydides
This Greek historian and general may not have been speaking specifically about firefighters, but the quote certainly describes the bravery required for that job.
6. “Fight till the last gasp.” – William Shakespeare
This Shakespearean quote describes the heroism of a firefighter.
7. “The funny thing about firemen is, night and day, they are always firemen.” – Gregory Widen
Even if a firefighter leaves at the end of a shift, they know that they need to be ready at a moment’s notice to help their comrades if an emergency arises. This makes firefighting less of a job and more of a calling.
8. “I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we who know the work which the fireman has to do believe that this is a noble calling. Our proudest moment is to save lives.” – Edward F. Croker
Few would call this profession a “lowly one.” On the contrary, firefighting is always on the list of the most respected professions.
9. “Whether it’s police officers, firefighters, first responders, or 911 dispatchers, many dedicated Americans work long hours, and often in difficult conditions, to make sure that when someone’s in need, they can help.” – Ajit Pai
Ajit Pai is the former chairman of the Federal Communications Commission of the United States.
10. “I was a big fan of Indiana Jones; then I realized he was kind of a fake hero. The real heroes are the people who work hard and do their stuff right, like firefighters and policemen.” – Nathan Gamble
Nathan Gamble is an actor known for his work in Dolphin Tale.
Short Quotes to Share on a Firefighters Memorial Page or Social Media
You might not be in charge of planning a funeral for a firefighter. Instead, you might be looking for a quote to share on your social media page to honor a friend who is a fallen hero. So here are some quotes about firefighters, bravery, and courage.
11. “Courage can’t see around corners, but goes around them anyway.” – Mignon McLaughlin
McLaughlin was an American journalist.
12. “They bravely march into the depths of hell to face the fears of many, and extinguish the demons that rage free.” – Unknown
This description of a firefighter’s duties may sound shocking, but it is probably accurate.
13. “Once you have a firefighter in your family, your family and the families from his crew become one big extended family.” – Denis Leary
One good thing about the firefighter community is that it is often described as a very close-knit group.
14. “Nothing cries out for compassion, concern, and danger as a fire engine screams by carrying firefighters ready to do battle without flinching from any demand.” – Byron Pulsifer
Think about this the next time you hear sirens in your community. But, of course, if you are the family of a firefighter, you probably already pray when you hear the sirens.
15. “Firemen never know what they will encounter on each call but proceed with the same level of commitment and service.” – Byron Pulsifer
The same is often said of police officers. Both first responders start each day without knowing what the day may bring.
16. “But sound aloud the praises, and give the victor-crown to our noble-hearted Firemen, who fear not danger’s frown.” – Frederic G.W. Fenn
Fenn wrote “Ode to Our Firemen” in 1878.
17. “People are always asking me how it is that firefighters run into a burning building when everyone else is running out. Courage is the answer.” – Quote from Ladder 49
John Travolta played Captain Mike Kennedy in the 2004 movie Ladder 49. This quote can be found in that movie.
18. “True courage is being afraid, and going ahead and doing your job anyhow. That’s what courage is.” – General Norman Schwarzkopf
We love this quote from a person who knew something about the meaning of courage.
19. “Courage is resistance to fear, the mastery of fear – not the absence of fear.” – Mark Twain
Mark Twain, of course, was one of the most famous American authors. He was known for creating the characters of Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer.
Firefighter Funeral Quotes to Share on a Death Anniversary
Families sometimes feel alone when commemorating the anniversary of their loved one’s death. While they might have been inundated with love and support immediately following the death, people sometimes forget to continue that support as time passes.
You might consider marking the date of the death on your calendar so that you can reach out to the family of the deceased on significant anniversaries. Here are some quotes to share about death and heroism.
20. “Firefighters never die, they just burn forever in the hearts of the people whose lives they saved.” – Susan Murphree
We love this quote. It reminds the families of fallen firefighters that strangers may be honoring their loved ones for an act performed in the line of duty.
21. “Becoming fearless isn’t the point. That’s impossible. It’s learning how to control your fear, & how to be free from it, that’s the point. The necessity of action takes away the fear of the act and makes bold resolution the favorite of fortune.” – Francis Quarles
Francis Quarles was an English poet who died in 1644.
22. “Unselfish and noble actions are the most radiant pages in the biography of souls.” – David Thomas
“Unselfish” is a wonderful way to describe the heart of the profession.
23. “Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.” – John 15:13
Firefighters lay down their lives for strangers as well as friends.
24. “Firefighters save more than homes. They save hearts, memories, and dreams.” – Unknown
Perhaps the family of the deceased need this reminder.
25. “I can think of no more stirring symbol of man’s humanity to man than a fire engine.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Kurt Vonnegut wrote Slaughterhouse-Five, among other pieces.
26. “If Prometheus was worthy of the wrath of heaven for kindling the first fire upon earth, how ought all the gods to honor the men who make it their professional business to put it out?” – John Godfrey Saxe
This is an interesting take on the firefighting profession.
27. “A hero is someone who has given his or her life to something bigger than oneself.” – Joseph Campbell
We love this description of heroic behavior.
28. “No path of flowers leads to glory.” – Jean de La Fontaine
This French poet was not writing about firefighters, but this quote describes the profession.
How Will You Honor Your Loved One?
As you say goodbye to your loved one, how will you commemorate their lives? Some families keep traditions alive to honor the people who have passed. Others may start a scholarship fund or perform an act of service to remember their deceased loved ones. Still, others may get a firefighter memorial tattoo to say goodbye to someone who gave the ultimate sacrifice.