Scripture is a path to personal revelation. These readings bring Christians closer to the Bible and the word of God. After the passing of a loved one, scripture brings peace and understanding when Christians need it most.
Jump ahead to these sections:
- Funeral Scriptures for Mothers
- Funeral Scriptures for Fathers
- Funeral Scriptures for Sons, Daughters, and Children
- Funeral Scriptures from the New Testament
- Funeral Scriptures from the Old Testament
- Scriptures for a Funeral Card
- Comforting Funeral Scriptures
- Unusual Funeral Scriptures
- Funeral Scriptures About Family
- Funeral Scriptures About Love
If your loved one wished to have a Christian funeral, including scripture as part of the service is a way to honor their memory. What Bible verses are best for funeral readings? This guide shares the 50+ best funeral scriptures and readings for every situation.
COVID-19 tip: If you chose to use a virtual Christian funeral using a service like GatheringUs, you can still recite these funeral scriptures with your online guests. Coordinate with your planning team and ensure you have the right mics and speakers to accommodate your guests.
Share your final wishes, just in case.
Create a free Cake end-of-life planning profile and instantly share your health, legal, funeral, and legacy decisions with a loved one.
Funeral Scriptures for Mothers
Losing a mother is never easy. There’s no better way to say “I love you” in Heaven than with a meaningful Bible verse.
1. "As a mother comforts her child, so will I comfort you" from Isaiah 66:13
This is the perfect image of maternal love. The comfort found in a mother’s love will last an eternity.
2. "She is clothed with strength and dignity" from Proverbs 31:25
Mothers are strong, dressed in their own dignity and courage.
3. “She opens her mouth with wisdom” Proverbs 31:26
A mother's words are always kind and wise, and she teaches of Godliness with her own character.
4. "Honor her for all that her hands have done" from Proverbs 31:31
A mother’s children are the fruit of her love, and they will go on to sing her eternal praise.
5. "You should be known for the beauty that comes from within" from Peter 3:4
A mother’s beauty shines from within and radiates out from her joy.
Funeral Scriptures for Fathers
Pay tribute to a beloved father through scripture. These Bible verses make perfect religious sympathy quotes for the entire family.
Tip: Choosing funeral scriptures and readings might be just a small part of your post-death responsibilities. If you need helping sorting it all out, check out our post-loss checklist.
6. "Listen to your father who gave you life" from Proverbs 23:22-25
Fathers are a rich source of wisdom and understanding.
7. "I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth." from 3 John 1:4
When a father knows his children walk in God’s footsteps, he feels peace now and forever.
8. "I will guide you in the way of wisdom" from Proverbs 4:11-12
Fathers are guides through this complicated life.
9. "His father saw him and was filled with compassion for him" from Luke 16:20
No matter how far children may go, fathers will always welcome them home.
10. "Let love and faithfulness never leave you" from Proverbs 3:3-4
Bind your faith around your body and write it on your heart. It will always bring comfort.
Funeral Scriptures for Sons, Daughters, and Children
Nothing is more challenging than the loss of a child. Let these verses bring peace and understanding in a time of crisis.
11. "Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord" from Psalm 127:3
Children are a gift from the Lord himself.
12. "The Lord is like a father to his children" from Psalm 103:13
God is compassionate to the childlike and innocent.
13. "For you formed my inward parts" from Psalm 139:13-14
Always give thanks for the gift of children. Their time, no matter how short, is meaningful.
14. "Out of the mouth of babies and infants" from Psalm 8:12
There is much we learn from our own children who spread the Lord’s wisdom.
15. "All your children shall be taught by the Lord" from Isaiah 54:13
Any child that knows God’s word will find eternal peace in Heaven.
Funeral Scriptures from the New Testament
The New Testament is a popular choice for funerals. When paired with religious funeral songs, these scriptures below are a force of Grace.
16. "Strive eagerly or the greatest spiritual gifts." from Corinthians 12: 31-13
The most important spiritual gift is love.
17. "Through one righteous act acquittal and life came to all" from Romans 5:17-21
No matter the actions one takes in life, we all find grace through God.
18. "See what love the Father has bestowed on us" from 1 John 3:1-2
We are all lucky to be the children of God, and only time will show whether we are like him.
19. "Remember Jesus Christ, raised from the dead" from 2 Timothy 2:8-13
If we lived with Christ, we will stay with him eternally.
20. "Our citizenship is in heaven" from Phillippians 3:20-21
After our time on Earth, we will join together in Heaven.
Funeral Scriptures from the Old Testament
The Old Testament is also common in funerals. This is especially true for Catholic funeral services, though it is a popular choice amongst other sects of Christianity as well.
21. "Thus he made atonement for the dead" from 2 Maccabees 12:43-46
The dead will rise again. In the meantime, they rest in godliness.
22. "Oh, would that my words were written down" from Job 19:1, 23-26
Have faith in God and your own beliefs.
23. "On this mountain the Lord of hosts will provide for all peoples." from Isaiah 25:65
God wipes away all tears, and he saves us all.
24. "Many of those who sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake" from Daniel 12:1-3
God’s believers will rise eternally when the day of justice arrives.
25. "The just man, though he die early, shall be at rest." from Wisdom 4:7-15
An honorable death is free of sin.
Scriptures for a Funeral Card
Scripture helps families deal with the passing of a loved one. Including a favorite Bible verse on a funeral card honors the deceased while offering words of courage.
26. "There is a time for everything" from Ecclesiastes 3:1-4
Under God, there is a season for every activity. Death is a natural part of life, and we shouldn’t feel sorrow when one passes.
27. "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ" from 2 Corinthians 1:3-4
Though losing a loved one is hard, we find comfort in God.
28. "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." from Matthew 11:28-30
There is peace in the passing of loved ones if you just believe.
29. "Peace I leave with you" from John 14:27
Don’t trouble yourself with the passing of loved ones. Let this time bring you peace.
30. "God is our refuge and strength" from Psalm 46:1-10
The Lord is always with us, and this brings comfort in times of trouble. God says, “Be still, and know that I am God.”
Comforting Funeral Scriptures
Scripture brings great comfort. These sacred words raise Christians up in a reminder of God’s presence.
31. But the greatest of these is love" from 1 Corinthians 13:13:
The best parts of life are faith, hope, and love. Above all things, we rejoice in love which will last beyond the grave.
32. "God lives in us and his love is made complete in us" from 1 John 4:12
God’s light lives in us all, and this light goes on after death. This brings comfort in times of darkness.
33. "Who will separate us from the love of Christ?" from Romans 8:35
A love of Christ persists even in times of crisis. No hardship, not even death, keeps us from those we love.
34. "The righteous perish, and no one takes it to heart" from Isaiah 57:1-2
Those who do good in their time on Earth find peace when they’re laid to rest.
35. "For since we believe that Jesus died and rose again" from 1 Thessalonians 4:14-17
God will bring his followers who have passed with him to Heaven where they will live in eternal peace.
Unusual Funeral Scriptures
Sometimes scripture says what your words can’t. These unusual scriptures below might not be common, but they still evoke powerful feelings.
36. "Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life" from Psalm 23
With the Lord as my Shepherd, I will always dwell in the house of the Lord.
37. "For if we live, we live to the Lord" from Romans 14:8
Make the most of the time you have, for time is fleeting.
38. "We will not fear though the earth gives way" from Psalm 46:1-2
Followers of God don’t fear change. They simply trust in the Lord.
39. "In the path of righteousness is life" from Proverbs 12:28
Since those we love live in Heaven, there is no death.
40. "Scripture Title" from chapter/verse/book etc.
[1-2 sentences explanation/fact/etc]
Funeral Scriptures About Family
When families face a loss, it is more important than ever to come together. Find strength through these scriptures.
41. "Do not let your hearts be troubled" from John 14:1-3
If you believe in God, believe in your family.
42. "We have a building from God" from Corinthians 5:1
God is the family home for all.
43. "I will fear no evil" from Psalm 23:4
Because you are with family, you fear no evil.
44. "Lead me to the rock that is higher than I" from Psalm 61:2
Your loved ones will lead you to a higher power.
45. "Heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ" from Romans 8:16-17
We are all tied together under God's Love.
Funeral Scriptures About Love
Finally, love is a reminder of the goodness of life. After the passing of a family member, surround yourself with these love-focused scriptures.
46. "We too might walk in newness of life" from Romans 6:4
Those baptized on Earth will raise from the dead.
47. "The Lord is close to the brokenhearted" from Psalm 34:18
The Lord raises us up in times of crisis and pain.
48. "Blessed are those who mourn" from Matthew 5:4
Times of mourning lead to times of comfort.
49. "For God so loved the world" from John 3:16
God loved the world so much that he gave his only Son to this land.
50. "I pour out my tears to God" from Job 16:20
God meets our tears with love and kindness.
Find Comfort in Scripture
Scripture plays a significant role in the mass of Christian burial. These words from God bring families together and tell us to find comfort in times of pain. Despite experiencing a loss and planning a funeral, these Biblical verses remind us of our faith.
These verses above are for every funeral situation. From the loss of a parent to the death of an extended family member, let these words bring you comfort and peace when you need it.