It takes great skill to be funny. It’s harder to make people laugh than cry. That’s why there should be two Best Picture categories for the Academy Awards. One should be “Best Picture - Drama,” and the other should be “Best Picture - Comedy.”
Jump ahead to these sections:
- Funny Birthday Wishes for a Best Friend
- Funny Birthday Wishes for a Parent
- Funny Birthday Wishes for a Child, Son, or Daughter
- Funny Birthday Wishes for a Spouse or Partner
- Funny Birthday Wishes for a Sibling
- Funny Birthday Wishes for a Niece or Nephew
- Funny Birthday Wishes for a Cousin
- Funny Birthday Wishes for a Coworker
- Funny Belated Birthday Wishes
If you’re reading this article, you’re probably in search of funny ways to say “Happy Birthday” to a friend or family member. You probably intend to extend these wishes through text or social media. Here are some things to consider in your search for the perfect one-liner.
First, you have to know your audience. While you may think your mild insults are funny, your audience may see them as offensive or rude.
Second, sending funny birthday messages through text or social media takes great skill because you have to depend upon the receiver’s ability to read with a sense of timing. Not everyone has this ability.
Finally, not everyone has a great sense of humor. You know who those people are in your life. Don’t waste your best lines on someone without a funny bone.
Funny Birthday Wishes for a Best Friend
It should be easier to be funny with a best friend. You probably have a lot of shared experiences to draw from when coming up with a birthday message.
You know each other’s idiosyncrasies, and what they find amusing. And since you get to pick your best friend, why would you have chosen one without a great sense of humor?
1. It is your birthday.
Fans of “The Office” will recognize this banner that Dwight hung to celebrate a birthday of a co-worker. You may want to alter the message a bit so it is written in true Dwight style. Write “Fact: It is your birthday.”
Of course, if your friend is not a fan of The Office, this message will fall flat.
2. Now that you are turning 40, you may want to work on your birthday resolutions. Of course, our resolutions would be the same: 1) Leave the house after dark at least once a month. 2) Socialize more with creatures that are not dogs. 3. Eat more cake.
If you and your friend have similar lifestyles, celebrate it. Who cares if you are less of a party animal and your birthday resolutions reflect your habits?
3. I remembered your birthday without Facebook! Yay me!
Of course, if you post this message on your friend’s Facebook page, he or she will question if you really did remember.
4. I didn’t forget your birthday. You’re just old and confused.
Send this message to your friend if you forgot her birthday. And then apologize.
5. Don’t sweat turning 50! After all, nobody likes a sweaty senior citizen.
Of course, this wish could be customizable for anyone turning older than 40.
Funny Birthday Wishes for a Parent
If you have a great sense of humor, maybe you got it from one of your parents. Here are some sample messages to send to your mom or dad who is celebrating a birthday.
6. Happy birthday from your favorite child.
This message could work whether you are an only child or one of nine. The message would be particularly funny if you caused many of your parent’s gray hairs.
7. Happy birthday from your favorite financial burden.
Are you a college student or a teenager? This would be the appropriate thing to say to your dad on his birthday.
8. Happy birthday, dad! And thanks for the genetics that gave me these fantastic good looks.
Who said you have to be humble when sending a birthday message to your dad?
9. Happy birthday, mom! May we continue to drive each other crazy for years to come!
You might as well laugh about it. Our moms sometimes drive us crazy.
10. Happy birthday, mom (or dad)! Don’t let your old age get you down. You’ll have a hard time getting back up.
Old age jokes never go out of style.
Funny Birthday Wishes for a Child, Son, or Daughter
It’s not only kids who are smart-alecks to their parents. Parents can offer sarcastic, funny birthday wishes as well. Here are a few somewhat-funny things to text to your son or daughter on his or her birthday.
11. Happy birthday to my daughter, who is smart, beautiful, funny, and reminds me a lot of myself.
Can’t you see your daughter rolling her eyes when she receives this message?
12. Happy birthday to the son who has the best mother in the world.
If your son acknowledges the comment, assume that he agrees that you are, indeed, the best mother in the world.
13. Daughter, I hope you have a happy birthday. I’ll just try to ignore the fact that I did all the work on this day 24 years ago so you could go out with your friends for margaritas tonight.
Aren’t birthdays weird? Kids should give their mothers gifts on their birthday.
14. Happy birthday to my son! You were a delightful baby, and you have grown into a wonderful man. Those teen years I could have done without.
Somehow parents survive having teenage sons. They may have more wrinkles at the end of those years, but they survive.
15. Happy birthday to one of the few people whose birthday I can remember without receiving a Facebook reminder.
Let’s hope you can remember your child’s birthday.
Funny Birthday Wishes for a Spouse or Partner
Your spouse has to get your sense of humor. They picked you as a partner! Raz your spouse or partner as you celebrate his or her birthday.
16. I was planning on getting you something amazing and memorable for your birthday, but then I remembered that you already have me in your life.
Sometimes your spouse needs reminding how lucky he is. Use his birthday to remind him.
17. May your day be more beautiful than a unicorn farting rainbows.
Can you think of anything more beautiful than that?
18. Let’s forget about the mistakes of the past. Let’s forget about the future as well, since we can’t predict it. Let’s also forget about the present—because I didn’t get you one.
It’s hard to think of what to give your spouse as a present every darn year.
19. Happy birthday! And sorry you have to scroll so far down on websites to find your birth year.
Of course, this sentiment doesn’t work if you are older than your partner.
20. The Senility Prayer: God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
There are plenty of poems about aging that would make great birthday greetings for your spouse or partner.
Funny Birthday Wishes for a Sibling
Hopefully, you are lucky enough to be able to offer somewhat rude birthday wishes to your brother or sister. This is a sign of a close relationship. Here are some obnoxious wishes to share with your brother or sister.
16. Happy birthday to Mom and Dad’s second-favorite son.
Of course, this message can be personalized to fit the occasion.
17. The older you get, the better you get—unless you’re a cookie.
Sometimes the funniest messages are those that mix a life lesson with an unexpected punchline.
18. Even if you weren’t my only sister, you would still be my favorite. Probably.
Tell your sister you’re “just being honest.”
19. Happy birthday to my little brother, who is hardly ever annoying anymore.
Maybe it took three decades for your brother to get less annoying, but who’s counting?
20. Who needs a birthday present when you have a sister like me?
You probably didn’t buy anything for your sister anyway, did you?
Join Cake's monthly newsletter.
Learn all you need to know about end-of-life.
Funny Birthday Wishes for a Niece or Nephew
Do you have the reputation of being the funny aunt or uncle? Make sure your birthday greetings to your niece or nephew live up to your reputation. Here are some one-liners to use.
21. Happy birthday to my beautiful, intelligent niece! You know, I didn’t think about it before now, but we are just alike!
Of course, you can customize this greeting for your nephew too.
22. Happy birthday to my relative that I am least ashamed to claim!
These are high praises, indeed, for your niece or nephew.
23. Happy birthday to my niece, who I may one day pass my mantle to as being “the crazy aunt.”
Is our niece a crazy aunt in the making? Celebrate her unique personality!
24. I would like to wish a “happy birthday” to my handsome, intelligent nephew. He must have inherited his traits from me because they certainly didn’t come from my brother!
Sometimes it’s fun to use unexpected opportunities to make fun of your siblings.
25. Happy 21st birthday to my nephew! You’re now legal to do all those things you have been watching me do for the last two decades. Yeah . . . maybe you should forget I said that.
You may not want your nephew to follow in your footsteps.
Funny Birthday Wishes for a Cousin
Do you have a great relationship with your cousin? Here are some sort of funny ways to send birthday greetings to those special people in your life.
26. Cousin, I have something important to tell you on your special day. Grandma loved me best.
You have to break it to him sometime, don’t you?
27. Happy birthday, cousin! I love you even though Grandma never used the “special plates” when my family visited!
Familial relationships can sometimes be awkward, right?
28. Happy birthday to my coolest cousin! (Don’t tell your brothers I said that!)
Your cousin probably already knows he’s the “coolest!”
29. Happy birthday to my cousin who has created mayhem since the day he was born. You have no idea how much I look up to you!
Sing praises to your wild cousin!
30. I appreciate you so much, cousin! You were so wild that you made me look like an angel! Happy birthday!
Having a wild cousin takes the pressure off you, doesn’t it?
31. Happy birthday to the “Cousin Eddie” in our family! Go out and get yourself something “real nice!”
Does your cousin remind you of Cousin Eddie from the Vacation movies? Use a favorite Cousin Eddie quote to wish him a Happy Birthday.
Funny Birthday Wishes for a Coworker
Consider yourself lucky if you have a coworker you can kid around with on a daily basis. Here are some birthday wishes that are office-friendly but funny.
32. Happy birthday to a coworker who almost makes going to work bearable!
You might want to hide this message from management, especially if it’s more accurate than funny.
33. I am so excited about your birthday, coworker! That means there will be cake in the break room!
Everyone needs that 3 p.m. sugar rush to get through the day.
34. Happy birthday to my favorite coworker! (By the way, can you work for me on Saturday?)
Maybe they’ll work for you if you promise to have a drink in their honor.
35. Happy birthday to my coworker, who knows when it is appropriate to “reply to all!”
Of course, you can customize this message to include your pet peeve.
36. Happy birthday to my coworker who completes top-notch TPS reports!
Have you seen the movie Office Space? Then you might get this somewhat lame reference.
37. Fact: Today is your birthday.
We know we already referred to this joke from The Office, but this would be a great way to celebrate a work-appropriate birthday.
Funny Belated Birthday Wishes
We can’t always be perfect. Sometimes we forget the birthdays of the people we love. So here are some ways to send well wishes while asking for forgiveness for being a slacker friend.
38. I knew it was your birthday yesterday. I just wanted to wait a day, so my wishes would stand out from the others. Did my strategy work?
Stand out from the crowd by offering birthday wishes late (or early).
39. You would have been so shocked if I had remembered your birthday yesterday that it may have caused you to have a heart attack and die. Happy late birthday from someone who doesn’t want you to die from shock.
Do you have a reputation for forgetting important occasions?
40. You COULD look at my birthday greeting as being late. I prefer to think of it as early - I’m getting a jump on next year. Happy birthday, friend!
That’s one way to spin a late birthday greeting!
41. Sometimes, you need a friend who will remember to wish you a happy birthday. Other times you need a friend who will help you stalk an ex-boyfriend. We all know what type of friend I am.
We all have our strengths. Even if you forget to look at your calendar, you might be great at covert ops.
Wishing Them the Best
Are there times when you struggle to find the perfect words? Maybe you want to find the ideal zinger to insult your brother on his birthday. We hope we helped you come up with a few. After slightly insulting the ones you love, make sure you also take the time to tell them how much you care.
While it is fun to get a laugh by coming up with the perfect line, there are times when the stakes may be higher. Maybe you need to figure out the right thing to say to a person who recently received a cancer diagnosis. Perhaps you’re searching for the right words to honor a deceased loved one on their birthday. Or how to offer condolences to someone who lost a spouse or a child.
Unfortunately, sometimes there are no appropriate words. Admit this. Hug the person if you can’t think of anything to say.
No matter the situation, it is important to speak from the heart. A person would prefer hearing a sentiment that comes directly from you instead of one that you read on the front of a greeting card.