Humor connects people, so asking hilarious questions helps you get to know the people in your life in a different way. When we laugh together, we grow closer over shared memories. Because thinking of the best questions to ask on the spot isn’t always easy, let’s explore some of the best get to know you questions for every situation.
Jump ahead to these sections:
- Funny Get to Know You Questions for Kids
- Funny Get to Know You Questions for Couples
- Funny Get to Know You Questions for Adults
- Completely Random Funny Get to Know You Questions
Whether you’re looking for questions to ask older people in your life or icebreakers for new friends, you’re sure to share a lot of laughs. You might even discover some funny family stories along the way. It’s time to start asking!
Tip: Record your older loved one's answers on your phone or a recording device, then print off their answers in a scrapbook (like this scrapbook photo album with room for photos and text) and share it with their loved ones.
Post-planning tip: Gathering the answers to these questions can be a valuable thing to have after the death of a loved one, but that is certainly not the only thing you have to think about when that happens. Let us guide you through the process of taking care of a loved one's loose ends with our post-loss checklist.
Funny Get to Know You Questions for Kids
Kids are often like open books. You never know what story you’ll get when you start asking them questions like these below.
1. What do you want to be when you grow up?
From astronauts to superstars, kids really have the most interesting career goals. This is always a fun ice breaker when talking to little ones!
2. What’s your favorite color?
While this might sound simple, you’d be surprised just how much thought goes into these youngster’s answers.
3. If you could live anywhere, where would you live?
Kids don’t always have the most realistic ideas of what makes a “practical” living situation, and that makes this all the more fun.
4. What’s the funniest thing you’ve ever seen?
From cartoons to sibling mess-ups, who doesn’t love a funny story? Kids are full of them, even though they might not be the best storytellers.
5. What’s the funniest name you can think of for a pet?
“Spot” and “fluffy” might only be the tip of the iceberg.
6. What would your superhero power be?
Kids are amazing at playing pretend, so they likely already know the answer to this question.
7. What’s your favorite snack?
There’s a reason kids love Halloween, and it isn’t the scary stories. Kids love sweets, so this is a great question to ask.
8. What’s the worst food you’ve ever tried?
Kids are notoriously picky eaters. Whether they hated broccoli or fish, what’s the worst thing they’ve tasted?
9. What’s your favorite animal?
Like when asking about their favorite color, many kids have a very specific answer when it comes to animals they like.
10. If you could meet anyone, who would you meet?
This answer is likely to surprise you! It could be a famous celebrity or the old lady down the street, but it's sure to be a laugh.
Funny Get to Know You Questions for Couples
As a couple, you might not always get the chance to ask silly questions. There’s a lot of pressure to talk about the “big” things like morals and family values, but what about everything in between? Get the ball rolling with these questions below.
11. Would you trade intelligence for looks or vice versa?
This question comes down to knowledge vs. vanity, and it really helps you get to know a person!
12. If you could have any career on the planet, what would it be and why?
If school, money, and opportunities didn’t matter, what dream job would your significant other want?
13. If you could only eat one food for the rest of your life, what would you choose?
It doesn't count if you mix all of your favorite foods together! What’s it going to be?
14. If you were stranded on an island, what would you choose to take with you?
What music, books, and items would they want with them? This really shows what they value.
15. What were you like in high school?
We all go through some kind of transition phase in high school. From the awkward nerd to the school jock, what was your partner like in high school?
16. What’s your biggest deal-breaker in a relationship?
Maybe they hate when people forget important dates, or they hate tardiness. Either way, it’s a deal-breaker.
17. What’s the worst pickup line you’ve ever heard?
Pickup lines are notoriously awful, so why not share a laugh over some of the worst?
18. What unusual thing do you find attractive in a person?
Let’s face it, we all have unique tastes when it comes to love. Just make sure you’re considerate of those around you before answering! You don’t want anyone feeling hurt.
19. What’s your favorite cheesy love song?
“Don’t go breakin’ my heart,” might just be their favorite hit. You probably won’t want this one playing at the wedding, but that doesn’t mean it’s not funny.
20. What’s your favorite thing you like about yourself?
Maybe he loves his sense of humor, or she loves her positivity. Either way, this is a telling question to ask a partner.
Funny Get to Know You Questions for Adults
Finding good icebreakers for a group of adults is sometimes easier said than done. The childish questions don’t always make the cut, so try these more mature questions on for size.
21. Do you have any weird superstitions?
Different people have their own superstitions about the most random things. From walking under a ladder to keep one’s hair dry, what superstitions make you stop and pause?
22. What’s something most people like but you don’t understand?
Sharing controversial opinions is guaranteed to get the conversation going. What trends do you just not get?
23. What’s your weirdest roommate or house guest story?
Not everyone has the same manners when it comes to sharing a space, and this leads to some hilarious stories.
24. What’s the weirdest text you’ve ever received?
Has your friend ever been texted by the wrong person? How did it go? A lot can go wrong when technology is involved?
25. What’s something you’ve never been able to do well?
Maybe you never learned to ride a bike, or you’re really bad at crafting. This could lead to some hilarious stories.
26. Does your family have any weird traditions?
Families come in all shapes and sizes, and they also create their own traditions you won’t find anywhere else.
27. What would you do if you were invisible for a day?
This question reveals whether they’d use their power for good or evil.
28. If you could sit next to anyone on a plane, who would you choose?
Plane rides can be boring, especially when you’re sitting next to someone uncomfortable. Having your seatmate of choice really spices things up.
29. What’s your favorite TV show?
This show is an oldie but still a classic. The shows we choose to watch in our free time really show a lot about who we are.
30. What happened on your worst date ever?
Dating stories are always full of humorous moments. There’s something awkward about putting yourself out there romantically for the first time, so why not ask about it?
Completely Random Funny Get to Know You Questions
Sometimes it pays to just throw normal out a window and just ask the most off-the-wall random questions. You never know the answers you’ll get, but it’s sure to be an unexpected experience.
31. What will people say at your funeral?
Sure, this question calls for a bit of self-reflection, but it’s also an opportunity to think about life’s funnier moments. If they seem open to talking about death, ask them some follow-up questions.
32. If you could steal any one thing, what would it be?
If there were no consequences, what would they want for themselves?
33. If you could talk to one species of animal, which would you choose?
Who wouldn’t want to talk to animals? More importantly, what would you talk about?
34. If you had a time machine, what time period would you travel to?
A time machine would be a glimpse into years back, but it could also lead to a butterfly effect of consequences.
35. Would you rather move to a new country where you don’t know anyone or run away with a circus?
Would you rather questions are always a classic, but this one poses an interesting predicament.
36. What’s the most ridiculous invention that exists?
Just because you can make something doesn’t mean you should.
37. Would you rather have a pet dinosaur or dragon?
While these are purely fictional pets, they do raise quite the question.
38. What makes you feel old?
The clock is ticking. Before you know it, you’ll be another year older and so on. What makes this seem like you’ve hit fast forward?
39. What’s your favorite time of day?
Are you a morning person or a night person? Do you love to stay up late, or would you rather rise early?
40. What’s something you think everyone should try at least once?
Life is best when filled with new experiences. What experiences do you think are worth having?
Dive Deeper with These Questions
Sometimes keeping the conversation going with those you love is hard. You’re probably already well-versed on the weather and the daily routine, so why not try something new? These questions above take getting to know someone a step further, and they show that there are so many things to be grateful for.
Have you used any of these questions in the past? If not, stow them away for later so there’s never a dull moment. You’re about to become a conversationalist like none other.