Surgery can be a tense event, no matter how minor or major it is. However, humor is a powerful thing. Sharing a laugh with someone you care about can be just what they need to put their mind at ease — and make them feel loved.
Jump ahead to these sections:
- Funny Pre-Surgery Wishes to Share With Family
- Funny Pre-Surgery Wishes to Share With Close Friends
- Funny Pre-Surgery Wishes to Share With Coworkers
- Funny Pre-Surgery Wishes to Share With Kids
- Funny Pre-Surgery Wishes to Share With Acquaintances
If you’ve never sent someone off to surgery before, you may not know what to say. But don’t worry — we’ve provided plenty of ideas below for what to say to a variety of loved ones and acquaintances in this situation. If all else fails, just be honest that you don’t know what to say. This can be funny in itself.
Tip: Unfortunately, surgery and medical intervention can't always save a life. If you've recently lost someone, our post-loss checklist can help you work through the tasks and challenges you might face.
Funny Pre-Surgery Wishes to Share With Family
It can be nerve-wracking to send family members off to surgery, whether it’s a minor procedure or not. However, keeping your spirits high, as well as theirs, can vastly improve the entire experience.
Here are some other ways to tell someone “you’re important to me.”
1. “Enjoy the drug nap — I’ll probably go have some wine myself!”
Many surgeries can really be viewed as a “nap” for the person being operated on, even if it’s a “scary” procedure. This is a good way to make light of the situation.
2. “I hope you won’t dream of any other ladies/men!”
This is a lighthearted thing to say to your husband, wife, or partner. You can even say so to a parent as a joke, too.
3. “Break a leg! You’re going to do great!”
No one in surgery is performing at all — and you should hope that they don’t break their leg. You can keep it positive with a common encouraging phrase.
4. “You behave yourself in there! I don’t want to hear you’re causing any problems!”
This is especially funny to say to an older relative or someone who’s not prone to mischief. Or, perhaps someone who is.
5. “I love you, you crazy kid! Have fun!”
Saying a message such as this isn’t necessarily relative to surgery alone, but it’s very positive in tone. It’s also a good idea to tell people you love them as often as possible.
Funny Pre-Surgery Wishes to Share With Close Friends
Being there for a close friend who’s undergoing surgery is an amazing gift in itself. Here are some actual surgery gifts to take a look at as well. As far as what to say before he or she goes into the operating room, here are a few decent ideas.
6. “Don’t you be gone too long, I’ll need you back soon. I love you!”
It’s not as though anyone going into surgery has any choice about how long they’re gone. Commands can be a funny way to show how much you care about someone, too.
7. “Let me know what the nap is like. I’ll be here when you wake up.”
Again, surgery isn’t much more than a nap. None of the responsibility is on your loved one, so you should put their mind at ease in this way.
8. “You better remember who I am when you wake up! If not, I’ll remind you pretty darn quick!”
This is a funny way of saying you’re not going to give your loved one much slack once they wake up. Though recoveries can be difficult, sometimes tough love is exactly what people need.
9. “Kick some ass in there, OK?”
Obviously, no one is literally kicking ass, especially in surgery. But, nonetheless, it can still be an endearing and funny thing to say.
10. “I’m not done with you yet. Don’t you dare do anything crazy in there. I love you.”
Threats — when based on love — can be one of the best things you can say to someone who’s scared. Let your friend know how much he or she means to you.
Funny Pre-Surgery Wishes to Share With Coworkers
You may or may not be close to your coworkers, so it may be difficult to know what to say. Here are some ideas that are both funny and caring. You may also be interested in these get well wishes.
11. “Just pretend it’s one of our boss’s Monday meetings — it’ll bore you right to sleep.”
Saying something calming and humorous to your coworker may be exactly what he or she needs to hear.
12. “You better give ‘em what for. I’ll see you next week, right?”
Talking positively and mentioning when you’ll see your coworker next can make him or her feel appreciated and at ease.
13. “I might join you to get some time off!”
You have to be careful who you say this to as not everyone would take this the right way. But, of course, that’s the nature of what a joke is.
14. “Enjoy the nap! I’ll pour one out for you at happy hour!”
This another variation of a somewhat indirect sentiment. It’s positive all the same and shows that you care.
15. “I know how you are. Work can wait. You take care and get better!”
We all know a workaholic or two. Do your best to make your coworker realize that health comes first, especially during these times.
Funny Pre-Surgery Wishes to Share With Kids
Kids are sometimes naive, sometimes wise, but can often be tougher than adults are. Finding the right thing to say to a kid before surgery shouldn’t be hard. You should try to be honest with them, but positive.
Tell them what’s happening so they know they can trust you, but try to phrase it in a fun, creative way.
16. “Surgery is super easy. You’re gonna close your eyes and wake up and it’ll be time for ice cream!”
Children are naturally naive, but as naive as they may be, their fear may still be real. It will likely put their mind at ease to simplify it and talk about the treat they’ll receive afterward.
17. “Surgery is like a nap for superheroes. You take a nap while you get fixed up. When you wake up, you’re more powerful than ever.”
There’s likely a child in your life who looks up to superheroes or imagines themselves getting powers someday.
18. “You’re a tough cookie, right? And tough cookies don’t get scared. You’re going to do great — I love you.”
You may also likely have that tough, headstrong kid in your life who doesn’t seem afraid of anything. While it’s more than OK to let them talk about their fears, it may be better to help them focus on their bravery instead.
19. “I know you might be scared, but you’re a billion times braver than I could ever be!”
This isn’t necessarily funny, but it will likely make a kid in your life smile. It’s likely true, too.
20. “Think happy thoughts and it’ll be over before you know it! I love you!”
It’s important to tell children — or anyone, really — to think happy thoughts prior to surgery.
Funny Pre-Surgery Wishes to Share With Acquaintances
Sometimes it can be easier to know what to say in difficult situations when you’re talking to acquaintances versus people you know a bit better. Perhaps you place less pressure on yourself to say the perfect thing. Nonetheless, here are some ideas.
21. “Knock ‘em dead in there!”
This is obviously a joke and is a good thing to say if you have a lighthearted relationship with your acquaintance.
22. “Just remember to breathe, and it’ll be over before you know it.”
Reminding someone to do something obvious, like breathing, is fairly humorous. However, it has some truth to it. It may help your friend relax a bit better.
23. “Let me know if you dream about me!”
Vivid dreams are common during surgeries, though people may not always remember them. And, quite often, we find ourselves dreaming of acquaintances even more than our closest loved ones.
24. “See if you can get your Doc to play some good music, it helped me a lot!”
It’s not uncommon to have your care team play music during surgery. This may actually be a helpful thing to say as music can often put people at ease.
25. “Be careful with all those drugs now, especially if they give you the good stuff!”
This is another lighthearted thing to say to someone you may not know very well prior to surgery.
Keep It Positive
No matter what you choose to say to a family member, friend, coworker, child, or acquaintance prior to surgery, you should try to keep it as positive as possible. Even if you’re not a comedian, you can likely make your loved one smile.
Going into something like surgery with a good attitude can’t be underestimated. You may also be interested in these humorous words of encouragement to share with cancer patients.
If you're looking for more ways to encourage a loved one, read our guides on how to write a letter of encouragement to a friend and encouraging messages for someone with breast cancer.