When people get sick, it’s not always possible to find the right get well wishes. You want to be positive, but you don’t want to sound ingenuine. You want them to know you’re there for them, but you still want to respect boundaries at the same time. How do you create the right tone with your sympathy messages?
Jump ahead to these sections:
- ‘Get Well’ Wishes for Someone With Cancer or Another Serious Illness
- ‘Get Well’ Wishes for Surgery
- Inspirational ‘Get Well’ Wishes
- ‘Get Well’ Wishes for a Close Friend
- ‘Get Well’ Wishes for a Family Member
- ‘Get Well’ Wishes for a Child
- ‘Get Well Wishes for a Coworker
- Funny ‘Get Well’ Wishes
- Parent ‘Get Well’ Wishes
- Partner or Spouse ‘Get Well’ Wishes
Before you fill the blank space of your greeting card, consider your relationship, the person’s condition, as well as your intentions. Writing a few thoughtful words shows someone in your life that you’re thinking of them in their time of need. The more personalization and warmth you add to your message, the better.
To get you started, here are some wishes to send in a card, email, or note.
‘Get Well’ Wishes for Someone With Cancer or Another Serious Illness
While you might know how to handle a ‘get well’ card for someone who’s getting over the flu, some situations are more complicated. Writing a card for someone with terminal cancer or trying to think of a positive message for a cancer patient is a real challenge.
There’s often a fine line you need to walk between overstepping and staying positive. Use these words below when writing a note or card to someone with cancer or another serious illness.
1. Thank you for trusting me with the news of your diagnosis. I am here for you.
2. I can’t imagine how you are coping with this news. Personally, I am at a loss for words. Know always that I am thinking of you.
3. You are still the same amazing person you’ve always been. You mean so much to me, and this changes nothing.
4. I’m here for you if you need me. Please don’t hesitate to reach out anytime for anything.
5. Your strength inspires me. I know you are stronger than anything, and your light.
‘Get Well’ Wishes for a Surgery
Surgery is a scary thing for anyone. Wishing someone well before a big medical procedure lets them know that you’re thinking of them and that you’re rooting for their speedy recovery.
Here’s what to say before or after surgery.
6. Best of luck with your upcoming surgery. May you recover quickly and enjoy good health for years and years to come.
7. I hope your recovery is short and sweet. Let me know if you need anything at all.
8. Sending you the warmest of wishes before your surgery. I’m thinking of you.
9. Happy to hear your surgery is over and done with! You have all of my support through your recovery.
10. You’re so brave, and I’m so proud of your positivity during this challenge. You’ve got this!
You can read our guide to "get well" wishes for surgery for more inspiration.
Inspirational ‘Get Well’ Wishes
There’s a common misconception that ‘get well’ wishes are depressing in sad. In reality, the purpose of these wishes is to inspire the reader and let them know how special they are. These inspirational ‘get well’ wishes do just that and more.
11. Here’s to your health—getting stronger each and every day!
12. You’re a light and a joy, and you mean so much to me. Feel better soon!
13. Your strength is an inspiration to us all. I hope to be as brave as you when I face life’s challenges.
14. Remember to take each day one at a time. You’ll be healthy and smiling again sooner than you know it!
15. You’re one tough cookie! You’ll kick your recovery out of the park!
‘Get Well’ Wishes for a Close Friend
When those closest to us get sick, we don’t always know what to say. As a friend, people look to you for cheering up and support. Be that warmth and kindness for your own friend to help them get better quickly.
16. Get well soon! I’ve missed having my buddy around.
17. The hospital might not be the spa, but I still hope you have a pleasant, peaceful stay. Get well soon, friend.
18. You’re in my thoughts and prayers during your recovery. Let me know if there’s anything you need!
19. I’m sending my hugs and all my love! I hope you feel better.
20. Hang in there, friend. Better days are just around the corner.
Gift tip: Give your friend the gift of your company! If they aren't contagious, bring over a nice meal, snack, or just you and talk to them. Can't see them in person? Try scheduling a video chat and do an activity together, like make dinner or play a digital game.
‘Get Well’ Wishes for a Family Member
Family members are with us through everything, so now it’s time to offer your own support. Be there for your family in a time of need by keeping them in your thoughts with a card, note, or email.
21. I hope you’ll be feeling better soon so you can get back to everything you love.
22. Home isn’t the same without you. Hurry home soon!
23. Every progress is good progress. All of our love from home is heading your way.
24. Now’s the time to rest while you can! We’ll be here for anything you need.
25. You’re not alone during this hard time. The whole family is here with you.
‘Get Well’ Wishes for a Child
Children are stronger than they often get credit for. With children more likely to get sick or injured than adults, knowing how to wish a child a speedy recovery is an important way to spread positivity. Deliver a message for a special child in a way they understand.
26. Being sick is no fun. Make sure you take all of your medicine so you feel better soon.
27. I’m sending this card with a special ray of sunshine. I hope you get well soon!
28. Hugs and kisses to you, kiddo. I hope you feel better!
29. Even superheroes need some rest sometimes. Rest well so you get back to your best shape.
30. All the ice cream in the world is waiting for you at home after your recovery. See you soon!
‘Get Well' Wishes for a Coworker
When a coworker gets ill, you want to find a way to wish them well. Letting this person know that the office is thinking of them lifts their spirits and lets them know their presence is valued.
Whether you’re sending a message to a boss or coworker, try these words of encouragement.
31. The office doesn’t feel the same without you. Hope you feel better soon!
32. We’ve missed having you around. We can’t wait for you to return so we can throw you a ‘welcome back’ party!
33. Get well soon—who else will get anything done around here?
34. We want you to know we’re all thinking of you. You’re a part of this team’s family, and we’re here for you.
35. We look forward to seeing your colorful personality back in the office soon. Best wishes for your recovery!
Gift tip: If you can, have your coworkers all chip in and get your friend a gourmet gift basket with comforting snacks, cheese, and crackers.
Funny ‘Get Well’ Wishes
Remember how we said “get well” wishes don’t have to be gloomy? It’s true, and these funny messages prove that laughter really can be the best medicine. Bring your kind words some relief in the form of joy.
36. Please hurry up and get well soon. I can’t keep being nice to you for much longer!
37. Get well soon—I’m starting to feel bad about making fun of you.
38. When you’re sick, it’s just because your body’s too awesome and everyone else needs some time to catch up with you.
39. Milk this illness while you can. That’s what I would do!
40. Your immune system doesn’t seem to be doing a great job. If it was a lawyer, I would fire it!
Gift tip: Get them a funny gift to go with it, like this activity book for adults.
'Get Well' Wishes for Your Parents
While we think of our parents as the ones who take care of us, sometimes the tables turn. Return the favor by caring for your parents and letting them know you’re always there for them no matter what.
41. You’ve been the one getting up early to help us all day. Now it’s your turn to relax while I look after you. Get well soon!
42. You finally have an excuse to take time off work and spend quality time with your beloved children. We’re wishing you the speediest of recoveries.
43. It amazes me how amazing you are even when you’re sick! You’re the best parent in the world.
44. Sickness might come and go, but we’re with you through it all. We love you, and we’re thinking of you.
45. Who knew we’d be switching roles so already? I thought I had at least a few more years. Oh well, anything for you.
Partner or Spouse ‘Get Well’ Wishes
Having a partner or spouse feeling unwell is hard on any couple. Your partner is a source of strength, and you’re there for each other through thick and thin. Keep your partner in high spirits with these messages.
46. I’m the one with the heavy heart while you get better. Get well soon, sweetheart.
47. I want to remind you that I’m always going to be there for you. I can’t wait to pamper you while you get better.
48. The doctor said we can’t cuddle until you’re healed—so speed up your recovery!
49. Love really is the best medicine. Let me treat you while you’re feeling down. You’ll be back on your feet in no time.
50. I hope my love kills away those viruses! I need you by my side again quickly.
Gift tip: Does your partner have a luxe robe to wear around the house? If not, get them this long robe, stat.
Show Your Support with Words
A picture might be worth a thousand words, but words still carry a lot of meaning. When someone’s not feeling well, kind words make the world seem a little less bleak. This is the kindness that motivates people to stay optimistic even in the darkest of times. Whether you’re sending a card, email, or note, these “get well soon” wishes above help you communicate authentic feelings without the stress.
Never find yourself at a loss for words again. Giving these messages with one of the top sympathy gift ideas or even just a warm smile is worth its weight in gold. It truly is the thought that counts, so make yours impactful. All of this talk of sickness is a reminder that life really is short.
We can’t predict what will happen in the future, and it’s never a good idea to take your health for granted. Start end-of-life planning today to prepare for anything.