If you have lived for any length of time on this great blue marble, you’ve had to say “goodbye” to someone important to you. You’ve had a childhood friend move away, or you’ve lost a grandparent. You had to say goodbye to neighbors when you moved or a boyfriend when you broke up with him.
Jump ahead to these sections:
- Quotes About Saying Goodbye
- Quotes About Saying Goodbye to a Dying Loved One
- Quotes for Saying Goodbye to Coworkers
- Sad Goodbye Quotes
- Funny Goodbye Quotes
- Romantic or Loving Goodbye Quotes
Here are some quotes about saying “goodbye.” Some of them are from goodbye songs, and some are from poems. You may want to post them on social media, or you may want to include them on a farewell card.
Regardless of how you use the quotes, reading them should also be a reminder that you aren’t the only person who has had to say “goodbye” to someone you love. It’s a painful part of the human experience.
Quotes About Saying Goodbye
There are a lot of quotes about saying “goodbye.” While many of them are poignant, full of sorrow and grief, others will remind you that not all goodbyes are sad. We’ve included quotes with various attitudes to help you find the right saying for your situation.
1. “The story of life is quicker than the blink of an eye. The story of love is hello, goodbye.” —Jimi Hendrix
This is a line for Jimi Hendrix’s song called “The Story of Life.” When you attribute the quote, you may want to list Allen Toussaint as the writer. Toussaint wrote for some of the most famous musicians in the world.
2. “You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. But the most important thing is even if we are apart, I’ll always be with you.” —A. A. Milne
Of course, many people attribute this quote to a stuffed bear named Pooh. A. A. Milne wrote “The House at Pooh Corner” as well as screenplays, poetry, and novels.
3. “The two hardest things to say in life are hello for the first time and goodbye for the last.” —Moira Rogers
Moira Rogers is a paranormal romance writer. Rogers is right on both accounts. It is hard to say both “hello” and “goodbye.”
4. “Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened.” —Dr. Seuss
Dr. Seuss has a way of making complicated subjects so perfectly simple.
5. “You’ve changed me forever. And I’ll never forget you.” —Kiera Cass
Kiera Cass is an author of young adult novels. Even though these words aren’t flowery and poetic, the statement is beautiful in its simplicity.
Quotes About Saying Goodbye to a Dying Loved One
Quite possibly one of the hardest things that you will ever have to do is to say goodbye to a loved one who is dying. Nothing can prepare you to visit the deathbed of someone you love.
6. “There are no goodbyes for us. Wherever you are, you will always be in my heart.” —Mahatma Gandhi
You never “get over” losing someone you love, but your grief may change over time. This quote by Mahatma Gandhi reminds us that our loved ones live on in our hearts until the end of our lives.
7. “Man’s feelings are always purest and most glowing in the hour of meeting and of farewell.” —Jean Paul Richter
Jean Paul Richter is a German writer who understood the complexity of the human heart.
8. “We’ll meet again. Don’t know where, don’t know when, but I know we’ll meet again, some sunny day.” —Vera Lynn
If you believe in the afterlife, you can take comfort in knowing that you will once again see your loved one. Vera Lynn was a British singer and actress who was extremely popular during WWII.
9. “So long as the memory of certain beloved friends lives in my heart, I shall say that life is good.” —Helen Keller
Helen Keller’s teacher and lifelong friend Anne Sullivan is interred with Keller at the National Cathedral in Washington, D.C.
10. “Painful though parting be, I bow to you as I see you off to distant clouds.” —Emperor Saga
Emperor Saga was a leader of Japan who died in 842 A.D.
Quotes for Saying Goodbye to Coworkers
We have all had those awkward moments. It’s your coworker’s last day at work, and you make empty promises to each other about how you will meet for lunch or see each other over the holidays.
Here are some quotes to write on the card that gets passed around the office.
11. “Every new beginning comes from some other beginning’s end.” —Semisonic
Even if you are saying goodbye to someone, you may want to put a positive spin on the farewell message. Knowing that an ending comes with a new, hopeful beginning is one way to remain positive.
12. “If you’re brave enough to say goodbye, life will reward you with a new hello.” —Paulo Coelho
Paulo Coelho wrote “The Alchemist.” Coelho understands that walking away from a job (or a relationship) may be scary.
13. “See You Later, Alligator.” —Bill Haley and the Comets
Perhaps you know that you will continue to see your coworker even after he or she leaves the workplace. Consider saying (or playing) the words to this famous song from the 1950s and 60s.
14. “No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other’s worth.” —Robert Southey
If you are looking for a flowery quote to share with a friend who is leaving a job, this is it. Use these words if you have formed a close friendship with the coworker who is leaving.
15. “Thank you for everything that you’ve accomplished so far, and good luck to everything you will in the future.” —Unknown
We don’t know who penned this quote, but it is the perfect thing to say to a friend who is leaving your workplace. Everyone likes to feel appreciated.
Sad Goodbye Quotes
Maybe you aren’t in the mood to read hopeful, positive-minded quotes about saying goodbye. Perhaps you are hurting, and no one can say anything to change that. Here are some sad goodbye quotes that will allow you to wallow in your misery. Some of these are quotes about the death of a friend while others are about the end of a romantic relationship.
16. “I’ve learned that goodbyes will always hurt, pictures will never replace having been there, memories good and bad will bring tears, and words can never replace feelings.” —Unknown
Yes, goodbyes will always hurt, especially if they coincide with a breakup or death.
17. “Goodbyes make you think. They make you realize what you’ve had and what you’ve lost, and what you’ve taken for granted.” —Unknown
If you have lost someone, you probably have regrets. You may feel bad for not giving your all to the relationship or spending enough quality time with the person who is now gone.
18.” To die and part is a less evil; but to part and live, there, there is the torment.” —George Lansdowne
George Lansdowne is a poet who understands the heartbreak and sorrow that follows saying goodbye at the end of a relationship.
19. “We started with a simple hello but ended with a complicated goodbye.” —Unknown
Are you experiencing a complicated “goodbye?” This quote says it all.
20. “Goodbye always makes my throat hurt.” —Charles M. Schulz
Charles M. Schulz was the creator of the Peanuts comic strip. Schulz gave these words to his lovable character, Charlie Brown. Charlie Brown wasn’t always a blockhead. Sometimes he had rather poignant things to say.
Funny Goodbye Quotes
Do you use humor to help you express complicated emotions? Here are a few somewhat funny quotes about saying “farewell.”
21. “So long, farewell, Auf Wiedersehen, goodbye!” —Oscar Hammerstein II
Sorry. We know this song from the Sound of Music will be stuck in your head for the rest of your day, but it is the perfect song for the situation.
22. “It won’t be the same without you here. Work may actually get done!” —Unknown
Your coworker may be uncomfortable if you say goodbye in a heartfelt way. If you are known for your wit and sarcasm, don’t disappoint your audience.
23 “It will not be the same without you. It will actually be better!” —Unknown
We also like this example of a sarcastic statement to share with someone who is leaving. Of course, you need to know your audience before making such statements, or you may risk offending the individual.
24. “Goodbye. You’re dead to me now.” —Unknown
While we are on the subject of knowing your audience . . . Make sure you have the right one before saying something like this.
25. “Well, I’m not usually one for speeches. So, goodbye.” —Ron Swanson
Fans of Parks and Rec will recognize Ron Swanson’s trademark no-nonsense style.
Romantic or Loving Goodbye Quotes
There are times when sarcastic statements are not appropriate. An example of this is if you are saying a sad goodbye to someone with which you had a romantic relationship. Here are some examples of what you might say instead:
26. “A sad thing in life is that sometimes you meet someone who means a lot to you only to find out in the end that it was never bound to be and you just have to let go.” —Dave Matthews Band
We aren’t sure who wrote these lyrics, but they show that the end of a romantic relationship is not always accompanied by anger.
27. “Two words. Three vowels. Four consonants. Seven letters. It can either cut you open to the core and leave you in ungodly pain, or it can free your soul and lift a tremendous weight off your shoulders. The phrase is: It’s over.” —Maggi Richard
We aren’t sure who Maggi Richard is, but she profoundly understands what it means to say goodbye at the end of a romantic relationship.
28. “After a relationship ends, build a bridge, get over it, and burn that bridge so you won’t be tempted to cross it again.” —Unknown
You may need to post this quote on your bathroom mirror as a reminder not to rebuild a bridge after you end a toxic relationship.
29. “Hearts will never be practical until they are made unbreakable.” —The Wizard of Oz
The Tin Man learned the hard way that having a heart is not all it is cracked up to be sometimes.
30. “Love is unconditional. Relationships are not.” —Grant Gudmunson
Even though your relationship has ended, your love may be eternal.