A gratitude journal is a way to keep track of what you’re grateful for daily. When you build a gratitude journal habit, you develop greater mindfulness, gratefulness, and positivity in your daily life. Whether you’re hoping to gain a deeper appreciation for all of life’s lessons or cope through challenges, understanding the different ways to show gratitude makes all the difference.
Jump ahead to these sections:
- How Do You Fill Out a Gratitude Journal?
- How to Download and Edit Your Gratitude Journal Template
- Gratitude Journal Template for Adults
- Gratitude Journal Template for Kids
- Gratitude Journal Template for Students
- Gratitude Journal Template for Parents
Living a happy life often doesn’t have to do with what you have. It has to do with how you live and how you think about your days. If you’re always looking on the bright side, it’s much easier to develop a life you’re proud of. While journaling is a great practice, a gratitude journal takes this to the next level. It challenges you to adapt your thinking to what makes you happy, no matter how big or small.
No matter who you are, there are things to look forward to every day. Are you ready to build your own mindfulness and gratitude practice? If so, you’re in the right place. Get started for free with these gratitude journal templates for adults and students of all ages.
How Do You Fill Out a Gratitude Journal?
If you’re first getting started with a gratitude journal, it can be intimidating to know where to begin. While you might know the importance of practicing gratitude, it’s easier said than done. Luckily, there doesn’t have to be a lot of pressure to get things “right” the first time. This is your journal, after all. You have full freedom to make it yours.
The good news is that there is no wrong way to fill out a gratitude journal. Using a template like one of these free ones below guides you through the process. Your only job is to follow the gratitude journal prompts and share your inner feelings.
The practice of physically recording what you’re grateful for is the important part. To begin, you simply write down things you’re thankful for. You don’t have to come up with a big, complicated list. When you’re first starting, just focus on a list of 5–7 things that you can think of off the top of your head.
The point is to train your focus to remember positive events, no matter how big or small. Additionally, you can write the date, daily priorities, affirmations, quotes, or anything else that inspires you.
Gratitude journal tips
With that in mind, what are some tips to help you along your gratitude journal journey? If you’re new to journaling, practicing mindfulness, and thinking reflectively, it could be difficult to begin. Keep these tips in mind to focus on the positive aspects of creating your own gratitude journal:
- Be specific: As you develop your gratitude journal practice, make an effort to be more specific. For example, go from “I’m thankful for my breakfast” to “I’m thankful I have the free time to drink my coffee in the morning before work.”
- Avoid superficial things: While there’s nothing wrong with including superficial items from time to time, keep the focus on what’s really important (relationships, experiences, etc).
- Subtraction: If you’re struggling to think of things to add, look at it a different way. If you subtract something from your life, how would it affect you? For instance, your life might be more challenging without your favorite coworker. This is someone you might not have realized you’re grateful for.
- Surprises: Surprises are a magical addition to our days. These things evoke an even stronger reaction in us, so don’t exclude them from your gratitude journal.
- Regularly: Finally, make it a habit to write regularly. Creating a scheduled time to write in your gratitude journal, like before bed, helps create a meaningful habit. Your gratitude journal only is effective if it’s something you do regularly.
How to Download and Edit Your Gratitude Journal Template
Are you ready to download your very own gratitude journal? These templates below are created with your lifestyle and schedule in mind. You might combine them with an existing planner or agenda or simply use them on their own. Again, there are no “right” or “wrong” rules. It’s all about following your own heart and wishes.
Each journal template is downloadable as a PDF. It’s up to you whether you want to print your template so you can write on it physically, or if you’d rather save it to your device. Apps like Procreate and Pages make it easier than ever to edit documents on your iPad, tablet, or smartphone.
The journal templates below are designed for adults, kids, students, and parents. Since each group has his or her own needs and goals, each gratitude journal template has small differences to fit your specific schedule. Additionally, each journal comes with a few different pages you can use, but don’t be afraid to duplicate pages as needed. With each, you’ll find:
- Cover page
- Weekly goals
- Weekly plans
- Gratitude journal pages
- Emotional wellbeing check-in pages
While there are some varieties depending on the type of journal, these are a good fit for anyone. Your digital download is completely free, and you can adapt it to your specific needs.
Gratitude Journal Template for Adults
Adults can especially benefit from gratitude journaling, so this template is a great fit for anyone. Download your free journal template below to get in the habit of checking in with how you’re feeling, your thoughts, and your goals.
Gratitude Journal Template for Kids
Gratitude journaling isn’t just for adults. Kids can also benefit from learning how to be mindful and grateful. The earlier they learn these life skills, the more positive their outlook is long-term. This gratitude journal template is created for kids at a level they can understand.
Gratitude Journal Template for Students
Students typically have busy schedules, but that doesn’t mean they can’t check in with how they’re feeling. Perfect for students of all ages, this simple gratitude journal helps them stay in touch with their blessings.
Gratitude Journal Template for Parents
Lastly, parents work hard every day. They put their little ones first, but that doesn’t mean they shouldn’t also spend time on themselves. This free gratitude journal template is made with parents’ needs in mind.
Create Your Own Gratitude Journal
Ultimately, there are no limits to what you can accomplish with a gratitude journal. By taking this process seriously, you identify the connection between grief and gratitude, as well as what’s important to you. The sooner you focus on what matters the most in your life, the easier it is to find true happiness.
What are you thankful for? It’s not always easy to start this process on your own. Let these gratitude journals guide your journey, helping you find your true passions each day.