Poets, songwriters, and philosophers have had a lot to say about friendship through the years. Here are some quotes that celebrate friendship.
Jump ahead to these sections:
- Short Gratitude Quotes to Share With a Best Friend
- Gratitude Quotes to Share for a Friend’s Birthday
- Gratitude Quotes to Share After a Friend Helps You
- Gratitude Quotes to Share With a Friend on Social Media
Some of you may immediately text one of these quotes to your best friend. Others of you may use the quotes in a formal handwritten letter to a friend. Sadly, some may be looking for a friendship quote to use in a eulogy.
Regardless of the use, we are happy to celebrate friendships by sharing these great words.
Short Gratitude Quotes to Share With a Best Friend
How do you say, “thank you for being a friend?” Of course, you could play the ubiquitous theme song from Golden Girls. Or, you could share one of these gratitude quotes about your special relationship.
1. “Friendship is a strong and habitual inclination in two persons to promote the good and happiness of one another.” – Eustace Budgell
We love this succinct definition of friendship. We hope that your friendships promote happiness.
2. “Two may talk together under the same roof for many years, yet never really meet; and two others at first speech are old friends.” – Mary Catherwood
Did you know that you had met a friend for life the first time you met your best friend? Share this quote with her.
3. “To bear each other’s burdens, never to ask each other for anything inconsistent with virtue and rectitude, and not only to serve and love but also to respect each other.” – Cicero
Cicero lived from 106 to 43 B.C.
4. “There are very few honest friends – the demand is not particularly great.” – Marie Von Ebner-Eschenbach
We like this funny view of friendship. Hopefully, your friend will also.
5. “A brother may not be a Friend, but a Friend will always be a Brother.” – Benjamin Franklin
Franklin was known for these witty aphorisms published in Poor Richard’s Almanac. This one was printed in 1752.
6. “Friendships multiply Joys and divide Griefs.” – Thomas Fuller
There are many famous quotes about friendship with a similar message.
7. “Your friend is the man who knows all about you, and still likes you.” – Elbert Hubbard
Hubbard was known for these witticisms. He also wrote, “Don’t take life too seriously. You’ll never get out of it alive.”
8. “Winter, spring, summer, or fall / All you have to do is call / And I’ll be there, You’ve got a friend” – Carole King
These are the lyrics to one of the greatest songs celebrating friendship – “You’ve Got a Friend.”
9. “The friend who holds your hand and says the wrong thing is made of dearer stuff than the one who stays away.” – Barbara Kingsolver
We hope that these words give you comfort. It’s hard to know what to say when a friend is going through difficult times.
10. “Oh I get by with a little help from my friends.” – John Lennon and Paul McCartney
Lennon and McCartney knew something about friendship.
Gratitude Quotes to Share for a Friend’s Birthday
Make your friend’s birthday special by sharing one of these quotes about gratitude and friendship.
11. “Old friends are best: King James used to call for his old shoes, they were easiest to his feet.” – John Selden
Of course, your friend may not appreciate being called “old.”
12. “Friends will not only live in harmony, but in melody.” – Henry David Thoreau
Share this quote with your friend who shares a passion for music.
13. “They cherish each other’s hopes. They are kind to each other’s dreams.” – Henry David Thoreau
This quote is from a piece titled “Wednesday.”
14. “Be courteous to all, but intimate with few; and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence. True friendship is a plant of slow growth, and must undergo and withstand the shocks of adversity before it is entitled to the appellation.” – George Washington
You may have to read this a few times to understand what the first president was trying to say. Regardless, this is terrific advice about friendship, which Washington shared with his nephew.
15. “Life’s truest happiness is found in friendships we make along the way.” – Unknown
This is an excellent quote to share on a friend’s birthday.
16. “In everyone’s life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.” – Albert Schweitzer
We love this beautiful description of friendship. Friends should rekindle the inner spirit.
17. “The glory of friendship is not the outstretched hand, nor the kindly smile, nor the joy of companionship; it is the spiritual inspiration that comes to one when he discovers that someone else believes in him and is willing to trust him.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
Both Emerson and Thoreau had a lot to say about friendship. Perhaps they were referring to their own relationship when they penned their words.
18. “True friendship comes when silence between two people is comfortable.” – Dave Tyson Gentry
True friends can also immediately pick up where they left off – no matter how long they have been apart.
19. “Friendship is the inexpressible comfort of feeling safe with a person, having neither to weigh thoughts nor measure words.” – George Eliot
George Eliot was the pen name of Victorian writer Mary Ann Evans.
20. “One close friend is worth more than a thousand acquaintances.” – Unknown
Replace the word “acquaintances” with “Facebook friends.”
Gratitude Quotes to Share After a Friend Helps You
Do you have friends who will pick up your kids from school when you are running late? Do you have friends who always listen when you complain about your coworkers? Here’s the real test: Will your friends help you move?
If so, consider yourself lucky. Here are some quotes to celebrate friends who are there for you when you need them.
21. “He that is thy friend indeed. He will help thee in thy need.” – William Shakespeare
These lines are found in The Passionate Pilgrim, an anthology of 20 poems published by William Jaggard attributed to “W. Shakespeare” on the title page.
22. “We are so fond of each other because our ailments are the same.” – Jonathan Swift
Perhaps this is what drew you to your friend.
23. “The best time to make friends is before you need them.” – Ethel Barrymore
Hopefully, your friend won’t regret your friendship after discovering how high maintenance you are.
24. “Trouble is a sieve through which we sift our acquaintances. Those too big to pass through are our friends.” – Arlene Francis
Show gratitude to those friends who stick with you during times of trouble.
25. “In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends.” – John Churton Collins
We also like the following quote about friends of the rich and powerful.
26. “Lots of people want to ride with you in the limo, but what you want is someone who will take the bus with you when the limo breaks down.” – Oprah Winfrey
Winfrey famously came from humble beginnings.
27. “The holy passion of friendship is of so sweet and steady and loyal and enduring a nature that it will last through a whole lifetime, if not asked to lend money.” – Mark Twain
Leave it to Mark Twain to finish a quote with such a good zinger.
28. “Two are better than one, for if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow.” – Ecclesiastes 49:10
Share this with a friend who has stuck with you during life’s struggles.
29. “A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out.” – Walter Winchell
Walter Winchell was a gossip columnist.
30. “A friend is one who overlooks your broken fence and admires the flowers in your garden.” – Unknown
This is an excellent definition of friendship.
Gratitude Quotes to Share With a Friend on Social Media
Consider sharing this post on social media while tagging your besties. Here are some more quotes about friendship and gratitude.
31. “A faithful friend is the medicine of life.” – Ecclesiastes 6:16
We love this quote from the Old Testament.
32. “The ornament of a house is the friends who frequent it.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
We like the idea of decorating a house with friends.
33. “Life is nothing without friendship.” – Cicero
Cicero was a Roman statesman and philosopher.
34. “Many people will walk in and out of your life, but only true friends will leave footprints in your heart.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
Besides being First Lady, Eleanor Roosevelt was a diplomat and activist.
35. “Good friends are like stars. You don’t always see them, but you know they’re always there.” – Unknown
Your mind probably immediately went to a friend you haven’t seen or heard from for a long time.
36. “There’s nothing like a really loyal, dependable, good friend. Nothing.” – Jennifer Aniston
Aniston probably knows a lot about friends.
37. “True friends are never apart, maybe in distance but never in heart.” – Unknown
Share this on social media and tag a friend who lives far away.
38. “There is nothing better than a friend, unless it is a friend with chocolate.” – Linda Grayson
Share this quote (and a sweet treat) with your friend.
39. “Things are never quite as scary when you’ve got a best friend.” — Bill Watterson
Watterson is the creator of Calvin and Hobbes – a comic about a young boy and his stuffed tiger.
40. “Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, ‘What! You too? I thought I was the only one.’” – C.S. Lewis
Lewis is best known for Christian apologetics and the Narnia series.
Send Your Friends a Virtual Hug
We hope that one of these quotes describes your relationship with your best friend. Let your best friend know that you are thinking of them by sharing one of these quotes through text or tagging them on social media.
Cake has a lot of resources for those looking for the perfect quote. Besides offering these quotes about gratitude and friendship, we also will help you find a quote for your loved one’s funeral. Perhaps you are interested to read Buddhist quotes about death or quotes to use for your loved one’s headstone.