When you lose someone, celebratory days suddenly become bittersweet. In fact, you might find yourself suddenly dreading birthdays and anniversaries because they bring up a wide variety of emotions. On the one hand, it’s nice to remember celebrations from the past. Still, it’s hard knowing that life will never be the same.
Jump ahead to these sections:
- ‘Happy Anniversary in Heaven’ Messages for Your Husband
- ‘Happy Anniversary in Heaven’ Messages for Your Wife
- ‘Happy Anniversary in Heaven’ Messages for Your Mom and Dad
- ‘Happy Anniversary in Heaven’ Quotes to Share
- ‘Happy Anniversary in Heaven’ Poems
- ‘Happy Anniversary in Heaven’ Posts to Share on Social Media
- ‘Happy Anniversary in Heaven’ Songs to Listen To
Some people turn to social media on birthdays, death anniversaries, and wedding anniversaries to share how they feel on such bittersweet days. If you would like to post a message but aren’t sure what to say, here are some ideas.
‘Happy Anniversary in Heaven’ Messages for Your Husband
Whether it is your first, eighth, or 23rd wedding anniversary without your husband, this day will undoubtedly bring up a lot of emotions. So share how you feel by writing a message on your social media accounts.
Here are some fictional snippets that will hopefully inspire you to decide what to say on your wedding anniversary.
1. Happy anniversary in Heaven, Bob! Even though I miss you every day, I’m forever grateful we had 14 beautiful years together.
Many times people speak directly to the deceased when making social media posts.
2. To the love of my life on our anniversary! I wish we could celebrate together, but God had other plans. Thinking of you on this special day!
You may consider changing your loved one’s Facebook page to a memorial account.
3. We danced to “You Are the Sunshine of My Life” at our wedding 50 years ago today. I’ll be dancing by myself in the kitchen tonight and thinking of our wonderful life together.
Sharing details of your wedding might be an excellent way to remember your special day from long ago.
4. Happy heavenly anniversary to my first husband, Bobby! Even though our relationship didn’t last, I will forever be thankful to the man who made me the mother of three wonderful kids.
Do you feel okay with wishing your ex a happy anniversary? Here’s an example of how to do it with class. Here’s some more help in learning how to refer to your deceased spouse.
5. I can only imagine the sights that are surrounding you, Michael! Until we meet again . . . my dear husband!
Your post might refer to Heaven or the afterlife.
6. This day is hard for me. Today would have been my 54th wedding anniversary if Todd had lived. I can’t believe that so many years have passed since my dad walked me down the aisle. I miss Todd, my dad, and my mom every day!
People sometimes use social media to share when they are having a difficult time.
‘Happy Anniversary in Heaven’ Messages for Your Wife
Are you staring at a blinking cursor trying to find the right words for your social media post? People who are grieving often report experiencing brain fog. Glance at some of the following messages. Hopefully, they will inspire you on what to say on your wedding anniversary after the death of your spouse.
7. I miss you, Julia! You were the light of my life. Thinking of you on what would have been our 20th anniversary.
Some people tag their deceased loved ones when they write about them on social media.
8. Even though I am happy that I found love once again, I would like to wish my first wife, Diana, a Happy Anniversary in Heaven!
It’s wise to consider the feelings of your current partner when writing or speaking about your deceased love.
9. Thirty-five years ago today, I married Penelope. She made me the happiest man in the universe, and I was blessed to have her for 16 years. I only hope our son will find someone just as wonderful to marry as his mom was for me.
Do you continue to have anniversaries after a person dies? You can handle this issue by writing that your wedding occurred X number of years ago.
10. Cindy, I miss you so much! I wish you were here to see our beautiful new granddaughter. She has your eyes.
You may consider leaving a hand-written note at your loved one’s gravesite.
11. When I woke up this morning, my thoughts immediately went to how you peeled an orange – in one long strip. This was one of the magical things about you, Sarah. Happy anniversary and I miss you.
One of the keys to good writing is to avoid general statements. What specific memories come to mind when writing about your deceased loved one?
12. I hope you all enjoy this photo of Brianne and me on our wedding day. Wasn’t she beautiful?
Everyone loves seeing old pics! Post them!
‘Happy Anniversary in Heaven’ Messages for Your Mom and Dad
The first year after a person dies is especially difficult. You may struggle to figure out how to spend birthdays, anniversaries, and death anniversaries. The problem is sometimes more complicated when one parent still survives. Consider asking the surviving spouse how they would like to spend their anniversary.
13. Today would have been Mom and Dad’s 47th wedding anniversary. If you happen to see my mom out and about today, give her a hug. Of course, this is a rough day for her.
It’s important to acknowledge those special dates after a person dies, even if you can’t spend the day together.
14. Happy heavenly anniversary to my mom and dad! Although we miss them every day, we are glad they can celebrate together!
Here’s an example of a post for those who are missing both of their parents.
15. Please pray for my dad today. Today would have been Mom and Dad’s 50th wedding anniversary, and he misses her so much.
Of course, you know whether your parent would want the attention that your post could bring.
16. My family will be celebrating Mom and Dad’s anniversary today. We are so thankful to them for providing us with a beautiful example of marriage. Happy anniversary to our parents in Heaven!
Sometimes death allows you to gain a more in-depth understanding of relationships and circumstances.
‘Happy Anniversary in Heaven’ Quotes to Share
Instead of offering anniversary wishes to your loved one in Heaven, you might consider sharing a quote about love, marriage, or grief. Here are some examples.
17. “With love, that is almost joy, I remember them.” – John Hall Wheelock
We hope that, at times, you will feel joy when remembering your loved one (instead of only feeling sadness).
18. “Should his heart break and the grief pour out, it would flow over the whole earth, it seems, and yet, no one sees it.” – Anton Chekhov
Anton Chekhov is often thought to be one of the world’s greatest writers.
19. “You will lose someone you can’t live without, and your heart will be badly broken, and the bad news is that you never completely get over the loss of your beloved. But this is also the good news. They live forever in your broken heart that doesn’t seal back up. And you come through. It’s like having a broken leg that never heals perfectly – that still hurts when the weather gets cold, but you learn to dance with the limp.” – Anne Lamott
We love this explanation of grief.
20. “Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality.” – Emily Dickinson
Perhaps this line from one of Emily Dickinson’s poems will give you solace.
21. “Tears are God’s gift to us. Our holy water. They heal us as they flow.” – Rita Schiano
Anniversaries, birthdays, and other special days may be tear-filled. So perhaps it will help if you think of the healing power of tears.
22. “In a world of such beauty as birds in flight, surely I can come to feel at home again, even after my loss.” – Martha Whitmore Hickman
We hope you enjoy this positive message on your wedding anniversary.
‘Happy Anniversary in Heaven’ Poems
Since the beginning of the written language, many poets have tried to describe the emotions one experiences following grief and loss. Here are some poems you may want to read on your deceased loved one’s anniversary.
23. “The Window” by Rumi
This poem states,
“Your body is away from me
but there is a window open
from my heart to yours.
From this window, like the moon
I keep sending news secretly.”
24. “Death Is Nothing at All” by Henry Scott-Holland
While the title of this poem may be a bit jarring, you’ll understand its theme once you have read the text.
In this famous poem, the speaker encourages us to think of our loved ones as being in the next room. It includes this stanza:
“Laugh as we always laughed at the little jokes that we enjoyed together.
Play, smile, think of me, pray for me.
Let my name be ever the household word that it always was.
Let it be spoken without an effort, without the ghost of a shadow upon it.”
25. “Joy” by Rabindranath Tagore
Perhaps you need the reminder that this poem brings. Even though you are missing your loved one, joy is everywhere.
“It is in the Earth’s green covering of grass;
In the blue serenity of the Sky.”
26. “On a Wedding Anniversary” by Dylan Thomas
Dylan Thomas is a poet who is most famous for writing “Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night.” Even though this poem is about an anniversary following death, which is the topic of this article, it may not give you a lot of solace when reading.
27. “Until We Meet Again” by Unknown
Search for this poem online, which begins:
“Those special memories of you
will always bring a smile.
If only I could have you back
for just a little while.”
‘Happy Anniversary in Heaven’ Posts to Share on Social Media
Here are some additional “happy anniversary” wishes to share on your Facebook account.
28. I know I haven’t posted much since Marcos died, but I would like to thank my family and friends for their love and support over the last three months. I wish I could say that things were getting easier, but I still feel overwhelmed with grief. Today’s especially hard, as it would have been our 16th wedding anniversary. Thank you for being patient with me. I promise to return the texts and calls you have been sending soon.
Some use their social media accounts to share news of their emotional status with family and friends.
29. Happy anniversary in Heaven, Cindy! I hope you know how much I miss you!
Some address their deceased loved ones when composing a social media message.
30. I heard “I Will Always Love You” on the radio today, which was the song I danced to with Denise 10 years ago today. Happy anniversary to my sweetheart in Heaven.
What song was special to you and your loved one?
‘Happy Anniversary in Heaven’ Songs to Listen To
There aren’t an abundance of “happy anniversary in Heaven” songs. So instead, consider listening to the music you and your spouse enjoyed throughout your lives together. Here are some songs to inspire you as you create a playlist.
31. “I Will Always Love You” by Whitney Houston or Dolly Parton
Which version of this classic song is your favorite?
32. “My Heart Will Go On” by Celine Dion
This song, made famous by “Titanic,” is about everlasting love.
33. “Your Song” by Elton John
Hearing the opening notes on this piece may instantly transport you back in time.
34. “Unchained Melody” by The Righteous Brothers
This song of longing may be difficult to hear on your wedding anniversary. This famous song includes these lines:
“Lonely rivers flow
To the sea, to the sea
To the open arms of the sea, yeah
Lonely rivers sigh
‘Wait for me, wait for me.’
I’ll be coming home. Wait for me.”
Create a Plan for Your Day
Most grief counselors encourage survivors to plan how they will spend birthdays, wedding anniversaries, death anniversaries, or other significant dates. You may choose to spend some time with family and friends during one part of your day and also spend some time alone.
Regardless, we hope that we have helped you develop the right words to express your thoughts and feelings on what may be a difficult day.