Losing a parent is hard. And no matter the type of relationship you had, it can be challenging to lose your mom. Many people don't feel that life is the same after their mom is gone. You may feel like no one is looking out for you anymore. Or you may feel like you have no one to turn to in times of need.
Jump ahead to these sections:
- ‘Happy Birthday in Heaven, Mom’ Messages for Social Media
- ‘Happy Birthday in Heaven, Mom’ Messages From a Daughter
- ‘Happy Birthday in Heaven, Mom’ Messages From a Son
- Say ‘Happy Birthday in Heaven, Mom’ With a Famous Quote
- Reflect on a Poem That Wishes Your Mom ‘Happy Birthday in Heaven’
- Write a Tribute for Your Mom’s Birthday on Your Facebook Profile
- Compose a Personal Message to Say ‘Happy Birthday in Heaven, Mom’
- Songs to Celebrate Your Mom's Birthday in Heaven
- How to Write 'Happy Birthday in Heaven, Mom' in a Private Letter
Many challenges may arise when your mom passes. It's hard coming up with the words to say when you are writing a eulogy. You may turn to books on grief to help cope with the loss. It’s possible the loss of your mother feels most difficult around her birthday. A day that used to be one of celebration is now one of grief.
Here are some words to help you get say "happy birthday in heaven."
‘Happy Birthday in Heaven, Mom’ Messages for Social Media
One of the reasons people enjoy social media is that it gives them the ability to tell others when they’re going through a hard time. You might be feeling particularly sad on your deceased mom’s birthday. Here are some messages to share so that others know you might need some TLC.
- Happy 84th birthday in Heaven, Mom! I miss you every day!
- Missing my mom today, on what would have been her 84th birthday. Even though she’s gone, I’m thankful for the time we had together.
- It’s my Mom’s Heavenly birthday today! Share a memory in the comments below of this special woman.
- Mom, I feel your absence the most today because I have to celebrate your birthday without you. I miss you, Mom!
- Mom, I can feel you watching over me and guiding me through life. Thank you for always being there for me. Happy heavenly birthday to my wonderful mother!
- Mom, I can’t believe you are celebrating your fourth birthday in Heaven! I think about you every day, and I can’t wait to see you again when I go to my eternal reward someday.
- Give your mom a call today, or if you live close by, give her a hug. Treasure the time you have with your mom –I know I did.
- My life has not been the same since I lost my Mom, but today, I celebrate the attributes that made her special. Happy birthday to my mom, who would have been 80 years old today!
- My Mom always made our birthdays so special. Today my family celebrates this great woman by gathering together and sharing memories.
- Missing my dear mom today on what would have been her 77th birthday.
- Dear Mom, Even though you are no longer a part of this world, you will forever be in my heart! I love you!
- Mom, It gives me comfort knowing that you are celebrating your birthday in the presence of Heavenly Angels! Thinking of you today and every day.
- My beautiful Mom’s birthday is today. Here are some special photographs of her from celebrations of the past.
‘Happy Birthday in Heaven, Mom’ Messages From a Daughter
Do you ever really get over the loss of a mom? Even though you may be getting through your day-to-day life, at the back of your mind, you are probably always thinking about something you wish you could share with your mom.
Here are some ideas for social media posts to share on your mom’s heavenly birthday.
- Mom, I woke up this morning thinking of you. While I wish we were together to celebrate your birthday, I’m thankful you are no longer in pain.
- If I could be half the mom to my kids as my mom was to me, my children would be very lucky. Happy birthday to my special mom in Heaven.
- Today’s a hard day for me. It would have been my mom’s 60th birthday. I wish we could have celebrated together with a champagne toast, but it was not meant to be. Happy birthday, Mom! I love you!
- Not a day goes by when I don’t think about my mom. She was my biggest cheerleader and best friend. More than anything else, I wish she could have had a few more years as a grandmother to my kids.
- Happy birthday in Heaven, Mom! I hope they have champagne where you are celebrating!
- Mom, I feel you watching over me, and it gives me great comfort. I hope you are proud of how I’m living my life. Happy birthday in Heaven, Mom!
- Happy Birthday and Rest in Peace, Mom!
- Today I’m choosing to smile because I feel lucky to have had a wonderful mother raise me. Happy birthday to my mom in Heaven!
- I bought a bouquet of my mom’s favorite flowers to honor her birthday today. Happy birthday in Heaven, Mom!
- I don’t have the right words to describe how much my life has changed since the death of my beloved mother. Even though I have thought of her every day since she died in 2010, today is especially hard. Happy 80th birthday in Heaven, Mom!
‘Happy Birthday in Heaven, Mom’ Messages From a Son
Whether you’re a son or daughter, you’re probably missing your mom on her birthday. Here are some examples of messages to share on your social media accounts to celebrate this special lady.
- “If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane. I would walk right up to Heaven and bring you back again.”
- I can’t believe it has been ten years since we celebrated your birthday with a trip to the beach, Mom. I hope the place you are right now is 1,000 times as beautiful.
- Mom, I always thought of you as having a halo above your head –even when you were alive. Now, I’m sure you do! Enjoy celebrating your birthday with the angels today, Mom!
- No one else ever understood me the way you did. I miss you every day, Mom! Happy heavenly birthday!
- Thankfully I have a daily reminder of my Mom. My little girl’s eyes are exactly the same as hers. Happy heavenly birthday, Mom!
- Mom, I wish I could give this birthday bouquet to you in person instead of leaving it on your grave. Thinking of you today.
- I’m attempting to make my Mom’s famous German chocolate cake today to celebrate her Heavenly birthday. Wish me luck!
- This day is tough. It’s my Mom’s first heavenly birthday, and it’s so hard to believe she’s gone. Hug your moms tight, and be thankful for every moment you have with them!
- Happy birthday in Heaven, Mom! I miss your voice, your unconditional love, and your peaceful presence.
- Happy birthday to my sweet mother in Heaven. I miss her every day!
- I had the best mom in the world, but today is the first time we’re celebrating her birthday without her. I wish you could be here with us, Mom!
Say 'Happy Birthday in Heaven, Mom' With a Famous Quote
Hopefully, these quotes will help you deal with your myriad of emotions. Reflect on these words. Share them with your family. You probably aren't the only person grieving your mom’s birthday. Reach out to others who may be feeling the same and share your emotions. Grieving together can be a helpful thing to do at a time like this.
- "There are two bright stars in the sky today. One is the Star of God, and one is you! I hope you keep shining bright. Happy birthday, mom!" - Anonymous
- "Motherhood: All love ends and begins there." - Robert Browning, poet
- "I cried endlessly when you died, but I promise I won't let the tears mar the smiles that you'd given me when you were alive." - Anonymous
- "If I had a flower for every time I thought of you, I could walk in my own garden forever." - Alfred, Lord Tennyson, poet
- "Death leaves a heartache no one can heal; love leaves a memory no one can steal." - Anonymous
- "Mothers hold their children's hands for a while, but their hearts forever." - Anonymous
- "The hardest thing is not talking to someone you used to talk to every day." - Anonymous
- "I remember my mother's prayers, and they have always followed me. They have clung to me all my life." - Abraham Lincoln, president
- "I hate visiting your grave on your birthday because the words on your epitaph don't do justice to the amazing person that you were." - Anonymous
» MORE: Need help paying for a funeral? Let Cake help with a free consultation.
Reflect on a Poem That Wishes Your Mom 'Happy Birthday in Heaven'
The words of poets and songwriters often make us feel more connected to others. Here are some poems, some by famous writers and others you may have never heard of before. All reflect on the lives of people that were called "mom."
"Loved So Deeply" by J.K. Rowling
This excerpt from a Harry Potter book can also be read as a stand-alone poem. It reminds us that a mother's love acts as a layer of protection around us always.
"Remember Me" by Laura Ingles Wilder
These thoughts were written by the woman behind the Little House books. Wilder gives us the perfect way to remember our mothers — with "smiles and laughter."
"If There Are Any Heavens" by e.e. cummings
This American poet wrote about a wide variety of subjects. In this poem, he reflects upon the heaven of his mother.
"A Heart So Large" by Mark Twain
Mark Twain's classic poem honors the love in a mother’s heart.
"The Watcher" by Margaret Widdemer
Mothers are known for keeping a watchful eye on their children. Even when their children are grown, they’re still watching out for them. In this poem, Widdemer thinks that her mother is still keeping an eye on her. Only now she is watching from Heaven's gate.
"In Memory of My Mother" by Patrick Kavanaugh
In his poem, Kavanaugh doesn't think about his mother as she lies in her grave. Instead, he imagines her going through a typical day. He thinks of her walking down the lane returning from the second mass of the day.
And in his imagination, she reminds him of his chores that still need to be finished. It is a reminder of the day-to-day role mothers play in our lives.
"An Eternal Memory of Your Birthday" by Anonymous
In this rhyming poem, the writer expresses how much people miss the deceased. This poem isn't specifically about the death of a mother. But its sentiments ring true for anyone who is suffering from the death of a family member.
"Roses for my Mum in Heaven on Her Birthday" by Anonymous
In this rhyming poem, the speaker asks God to pick a bunch of roses to give to their mother, who is in Heaven.
"Missing You on Your Birthday Mum" by Anonymous
In this poem, the writer expresses disbelief that another year has passed without their mom. The end of the verse says, "so I'll say 'Goodbye' for now, and blow a kiss to Heaven above. To wish you a Happy Birthday and send you all my love."
"I'm Sending a Dove" by Anonymous
Although many poems about death include references to flowers, this one contains a reference to a bird. In this poem, the dove has a parcel full of a million kisses and hugs. It delivers them to a mom in Heaven.
Write a Tribute for Your Mom's Birthday on Your Facebook Profile
Many people write a tribute to their mothers on their birthdays on social media. People continue to do this once their mothers have passed away. Regardless of what platform you use, writing a heartfelt message can be difficult.
Here are some words to inspire you:
Mom, I miss you every day. Life has not been the same since you have passed away. I know we will see each other in the afterlife. But I miss being able to pick up the phone and call you on my way home from work. I miss our coffee dates. And I miss how special you made us all feel on our birthdays. Happy birthday, Mom!
Today would have been my mom's 73rd birthday. In celebration of this woman who gave so much, I ask you to perform a random act of kindness today. Help me commemorate my mom's birthday. Think about my mom, Roberta Louise Smith, as you do it.
"My mom loved Earl Gray tea in the morning and "a splash" of Chardonnay in the evening. She enjoyed watching golf on TV and played canasta every Thursday with friends. My mom loved romantic comedies. She rang the bells for the Salvation Army every Christmas. And she volunteered to serve every funeral dinner at church. Today would have been her 80th birthday. I just wanted to remind everybody about this special woman that no longer walks this Earth. Happy birthday, mom!"
"Today my mom would have been 78. I want to keep my mom's memory alive. Please take a moment to share a story about my mom in the comments. How did she impact your life? What do you remember most about her? My dad and I look forward to reading your stories."
Compose a Personal Message to Say 'Happy Birthday in Heaven, Mom'
Sometimes the pain of losing a mother is too deep. It can feel too private to put your emotions on social media. And not every emotion can be shared on social media. People grieve in unique ways. You may feel anger or jealousy mixed in with your sadness. Especially if you didn’t get a chance to say goodbye, your emotions could be all over the place. Even if you did say goodbye, there are still a lot of emotions to process.
You don’t have to share your thoughts with anyone, but don’t ignore them. Consider composing a personal message to your mom in a journal. Or take a quiet moment to speak some of these words aloud.
Here are some ideas for a personal message:
"Mom, sometimes I am angry with you for dying. I know it's not fair, but I see mothers and daughters together, and it makes me upset that it isn't us. I want to celebrate your birthday with you today, but I can't. Your birthday was always such a joyous occasion. It makes me sad and angry that we don’t get to celebrate together anymore."
"Mom, I wish you were here to see how awesome my kids are doing. Chloe's eyes remind me of yours. And Ethan has your goofy sense of humor. It pains me to know that my kids won't grow up knowing you. You were such a special person. Happy birthday, mom."
"Mom, do you remember my 8th birthday? You let me invite my whole class over for a party. And we had a bonfire and cooked s’mores. You made birthdays so special for me when I was a kid. I wish I could do the same for you now that you are older. I hate that I never got the chance to spoil you for your birthday the way you always spoiled me. "
"Dad and I had a hard time today on your birthday. We didn't know what to do. We bought a cake, but somehow it didn't feel right. We are hurting, and we miss you, mom."
» MORE: Save thousands on funeral costs by knowing your options – schedule a free consultation today.
Songs to Celebrate Your Mom's Birthday in Heaven
For some people, music plays a vital role in the grieving process. Music about grief may give you comfort because it reminds you that others have gone through a similar experience.
Or you might enjoy listening to songs that remind you of your mom. Maybe some songs transport you back in time to when your mom would sing to the radio while making dinner.
Here are some songs about life, love, and loss that may help you commemorate your mom's birthday in heaven.
“You Raise Me Up” by Josh Groban
Perhaps your mom was your biggest cheerleader. And now that she is gone, you miss her positive energy and inspirational words. This song will help you celebrate that special person in your life.
“Jealous of the Angels” by Dawn Taggart
This tearjerker is about the loss of a loved one. It includes these lines that may make you think of your mom:
"You always made my troubles feel so small.
And you were always there to catch me when I'd fall
In a world where heroes come and go
Well, God just took the only one I know
So I'll hold you as close as I can
Longing for the day, when I see your face again"
“Who Will Sing My Lullabies” by Runa
Here's another tearjerker song about loss. We included it on our list because it doesn't only talk about being sad. The lyrics also describe loss as a frustrating experience:
"In this big world, I'm lonely, for I am but small
Oh, angels in heaven, don't you care for me at all?
You heard my heart breaking for it rang through the skies
So why won't you sing me lullabies?
Oh, why won't you sing me lullabies?"
“This Is Your Song” by Ronan Keating
Ronan Keating released an album called "Songs for My Mother." This song is included on the album.
“Your Story Isn't Over Yet” by Emma Jo
The lyrics of this song explain how some people feel after the death of a loved one.
"Going through the motions and filling up the days
With making plans and pretending it's okay
Got a heart full of shadows and a mind full of memories
Is anything ever gonna be the same, will there ever be room to breathe."
“Candle in the Wind” by Elton John
This song was famously written about the death of Marilyn Monroe. However, if your mom died when you were a child, you might connect with the lyrics to this song.
How to Write 'Happy Birthday in Heaven, Mom' in a Private Letter
Some people turn to pen and paper when faced with a difficult moment in their lives. Even if you don't view yourself as a writer, you might consider this strategy.
It may feel awkward to write a letter to your mom in Heaven. However, many people view letter writing or journal writing as a cathartic experience. What follows are some fictional snippets of what you may want to write about as you approach your mom's birthday.
Mom, I saw an older woman and her daughter at the grocery store today, and I couldn't stop staring at them. The older woman moved slowly up and down the aisle and stopped and examined everything. Her daughter was patient with her mom, and the two shared many laughs. Seeing these women together made me miss you more than ever.
Do you remember my third-grade birthday party? There was a nasty stomach bug going around the school, and all the girls who were supposed to come over for a sleepover had to cancel. So, we had a sleepover instead. We did each other's hair, makeup, and nails and watched scary movies until dawn. I probably had more fun with you than I would have had with my friends.
Today I feel frustrated and angry that you aren't here for me. Life's been hard lately, and there have been so many times that I have picked up my phone to call you – only to remember that you can't answer.
A James Taylor song played on the radio the other day, and it made me cry. I remember you singing to his music when you made dinner. I always complained because I wanted to listen to my favorite groups when I sat at the kitchen table doing homework. Now, I prefer the music you listened to because it reminds me of our moments together each evening.
Mom, you would be so proud of Trudy. She's a great swimmer – just like you. She qualified for sectionals today. I was so proud! But I couldn't even congratulate her because I was crying so hard. I'm so sad that you weren't able to be there celebrating with us. I hope you were able to watch from Heaven.
Dad misses you so much. It's painful to visit him. He doesn't have much interest in anything. He doesn't even watch baseball anymore. We're worried about him, but I'm not sure what to do to help.
Happy birthday in Heaven, Mom! I wish we could celebrate together. But because you had to leave us, I guess I'll have to eat this sour cream raisin pie by myself! You and I were the only ones who loved this pie, and I make it for you every year.
I saw a cardinal outside today and thought of you! Happy birthday in Heaven, Mom! I miss you every day.
We went through your clothes today, and I brought home your favorite red sweater. It still smells like you.
Celebrating Your Mom's Day
As you approach your mom's birthday, it might help to come up with a plan for how you will spend the day. Perhaps you will try to make the day "business as usual." It might be too painful for you to spend it any other way. Or maybe you plan to spend the day with your family.
Regardless of how you spend it, be prepared for a myriad of emotions to hit you on this day. You may feel joy and sadness. You may feel frustration and anger as well. Know that this is part of the grieving process. However, you feel is okay. Honor your mom by embracing these emotions.