Is your dad celebrating his birthday in Heaven? He may not be present on earth, but you can still celebrate his special day. Get together with a few family members, go to his favorite restaurant solo, or simply share a message to wish him a happy day on social media.
Jump ahead to these sections:
- ‘Happy Birthday in Heaven, Dad’ Poems to Share
- ‘Happy Birthday in Heaven, Dad’ Quotes to Share
- ‘Happy Birthday in Heaven, Dad’ Messages for Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Another Social Media Platform
- ‘Happy Birthday in Heaven, Dad’ Messages for a Letter or Journal Entry
- ‘Happy Birthday in Heaven, Dad’ Messages From a Daughter
- ‘Happy Birthday in Heaven, Dad’ Messages From a Son
No matter how you choose to celebrate your dad’s life and legacy, we hope you’ll find a poem, quote, or message in this article that helps you honor the man you loved.
‘Happy Birthday in Heaven, Dad’ Poems to Share
These poems talk about the role of a father. Read through a few and choose to share one that reminds you of your dad. Reading poetry is a good way to remember loved ones who are no longer with you.
1. “Fathers” by Edgar A. Guest
This is a humorous poem that pays tribute to the father that declares he has all the answers to the world’s problems. If your dad was a problem solver and an armchair politician or football coach, read this in his honor.
2. “Those Winter Sundays” by Robert Hayden
Much of what fathers do for their families goes unnoticed, unseen, and unsung. This poem pays tribute to those little things a father does that no one notices. If you feel like you didn’t get a chance to thank your dad when he was alive, read this poem in his honor and thank him for the ways he loved you and your family.
3. “A Boy and His Dad” by Edgar A. Guest
In this poem, Guest reminisces about a fishing trip between a boy and his father. This is a beautiful tribute to the role fathers play in the lives of their children. Whether your dad taught you to fish or drive a car, this poem is a fitting tribute to read on his birthday.
4. “The Gift” by Li-Young Lee
In Lee’s poem, he describes one instance where his father helped him after he got a splinter in his hand as a young boy. The touching sentiments reflect a deep love between father and son and reveal the combination of firm yet gentle love fathers are often known for. Read this in honor of your father if this makes you think of him.
5. “Father’s Song” by Gregory Orr
This is a short poem about a father teaching his daughter. The daughter doesn’t learn the first time and the father gently continues to guide and teach her. Read this poem if your father was a man who taught you about the lessons of life.
‘Happy Birthday in Heaven, Dad’ Quotes to Share
These quotes talk about the role of a father. Find one that reminds you of your dad and share it on his special day to say happy birthday in Heaven.
6. “I'd love to know how Dad saw me when I was 6. I'd love to know a hundred things. When a parent dies, a filing cabinet full of all the fascinating stuff also ceases to exist. I never imagined how hungry I'd be one day to look inside it.” - David Mitchell
This quote serves as a reminder of all the fantastic, wonderful things a father is to his family. Use this quote to inspire you as you think back to lessons taught and memories made.
7. “I lost my father this past year, and the word feels right because I keep looking for him. As if he were misplaced. As if he could just turn up, like a sock or a set of keys.” - Mark Slouka
Birthdays have a tendency to remind us of loss more keenly than the regular days in the year. Perhaps you feel like you still search for your father among your memories, the places you went together, or even in the face of your children.
8. “When I was small I felt like a superhero as my father threw me up in the air. Now after reaching this successful peak, I unmask. [Dad was the] real superhero that made me a superhero!” - Hasil Paudyal
If you feel like your dad was a superhero, share this quote.
9. “My father didn’t do anything unusual. He only did what dads are supposed to do—be there." - Max Lucado
Did your dad go to your games, practices, and big events? Share this to remember the kind of dad he was.
10. “The most precious things a father can provide are time, attention, and love." - Tim Russert
Does this sound like your dad? Share this quote in his honor.
‘Happy Birthday in Heaven, Dad’ Messages for Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Another Social Media Platform
Sharing a message about your dad’s birthday in Heaven on social media can be a great way to honor a deceased loved one on their birthday and invite your family and friends to celebrate with you.
11. Happy birthday in Heaven to my daddy! He would be 83 years old today.
Share how old your dad would be on his special day. Include a picture to make the post extra special.
12. Help me wish my Daddy a happy birthday in Heaven, everyone! I’m sure he’s living it up today and celebrating in style!
Invite your network to wish your dad a happy birthday and enjoy reading the wishes later.
13. Happy birthday in Heaven, Dad. Hope you know that we’re all celebrating your special day down here.
Are you celebrating with your family? Share a picture and this message to let your dad and your friends know about it.
14. This is my dad on his birthday ten years ago. I think this is how I will always picture him on this day. Happy birthday in Heaven, Dad.
Share a special birthday picture of your dad with your friends on social media and wish him a happy birthday.
15. Just want to wish my dad a happy birthday in Heaven today. I sure do miss him!
This short message lets everyone know about the special day and how you feel, as well.
‘Happy Birthday in Heaven, Dad’ Messages for a Letter or Journal Entry
Journaling or writing a letter to your father can be a therapeutic exercise that helps you feel closer together even though you’re so far apart.
16. Dear Dad, Today is your birthday and I can’t believe how much I miss you. It seems like your absence gets more noticeable every year. I love you so much. I’m celebrating you today, Dad.
Are you missing your dad especially on his birthday? Write a letter and let him know how you feel.
17. Dear Journal, Today is Dad’s birthday. I sure wish he was celebrating it down here. I’m sure he’s throwing a huge party and inviting everyone to celebrate with him. I know Grandma is sure happy to have him there. I just wish I could have celebrated one more birthday with him.
Journaling your thoughts and feelings on important days like your dad’s birthday is a healthy activity. Share what you think he’s doing, who you think he’s with, and other thoughts centered around his special day.
18. To the best dad ever, Today is your birthday! This would have been your big five-o! I am celebrating you today, Dad. I’m going to have a drink in your honor and go to your favorite diner. You may be gone, Dad, but you sure aren’t forgotten and you never will be.
Are you planning to do something special in honor of your dad’s big-number birthday? Write a letter and let him know.
19. Dad, your birthday is today and the whole family is gathering to celebrate. I hope you look down from up there and see us as we celebrate the most amazing man we’ve ever known. You taught us to love our neighbors and how to be good people. Thank you for each lesson you taught. Cheers to you, Dad!
Write a letter to your dad and include special things you remember about him like lessons he taught you.
20. Dear Journal, I thought I’d feel sadder today since it’s Dad’s birthday. But I feel like celebrating him and doing something special to remember him. I still get teary-eyed but I have a smile on my face just remembering how he loved celebrating.
Journal your thoughts about your dad’s birthday. Share your feelings and document how his absence still affects you. This can be a healing activity and help you through the years.
‘Happy Birthday in Heaven, Dad’ Messages From a Daughter
Many dads and daughters share a special bond that not even death can disrupt. If you want to wish your dad a happy birthday in Heaven, use one of these messages to put a smile on his face.
21. Dad, I know you’re in Heaven and celebrating your big day today, but we sure do miss you down on earth. Happy birthday to the best man I know!
Was your dad your hero? Use a message like this to incorporate that love and affection in a letter or a keepsake birthday card.
22. Happy birthday in Heaven, Dad! No matter how long you’re gone or how far away you are, I’ll always wish you a happy birthday.
Let your dad know that you’ll never forget his birthday, no matter how long he’s been celebrating it in Heaven.
23. Dad, your little girl wants to wish you a happy birthday in Heaven. I love you and miss you and hope you have the best day ever.
Include this in a letter or a keepsake birthday card you write for your dad. Let him know how much you miss him and wish him well.
24. Daddy, your family misses you so much and especially today on your birthday. We’re all celebrating you and wishing we could be with you. Love you, Dad!
This message is perfect for a short journal entry, a social media post, or a letter to your dad. Tell him how you feel and let him know you’re celebrating his special day.
25. Today is your birthday in Heaven, Dad. Eat an extra slice of cake for us all down here as we celebrate you up there!
Are you planning to celebrate your dad’s birthday with your family members? Let him know with a message like this.
‘Happy Birthday in Heaven, Dad’ Messages From a Son
Whether you’re planning to journal, write in a keepsake card, place a note on your dad’s headstone, or simply wish him a happy birthday, these messages are perfect when coming from a son.
26. Dad, I’ll always be your number one fan. You’re my best friend, and I hope you have a wonderful birthday in Heaven.
Your relationship with your dad doesn’t end simply because he is no longer present. You can still remember your best friend and think of the times you shared together.
27. Happy birthday, Dad. Today, I celebrate your life and legacy by teaching my son the lessons you taught me. Cheers to turning [age] in Heaven.
Did your dad teach you something special? Celebrate him by choosing his birthday to pass on a specific lesson or skill that he taught you.
28. Happy birthday in Heaven, Dad! I always said I looked up to you. I guess now I always will!
If your father was a fan of dad jokes, this one will probably put a smile on his face. You’ll always look “up” to him now that he’s in Heaven.
29. Dad, I wish you the best birthday up in Heaven today. I hope you’re having a blast with Grandma and Gramps. Cheers to your big day!
Do you have other relatives in Heaven that will be celebrating with your dad? Think about the fun they’ll have celebrating together.
30. Today is your birthday in Heaven, Dad. Can’t believe this is your [4th/5th/etc.] birthday away from us. I miss you as much as ever. Have some fun up there today and know we’re thinking of you.
It can be helpful to keep track of time and mention how many birthdays your dad has celebrated in Heaven. Acknowledging each birthday will keep you close to your dad.
Remembering Your Dad’s Birthday
No matter how many years your dad has been in Heaven, you can remember him in a special way on his birthday. Whether you journal, share a message on social media, or simply speak a message for him to hear, you can celebrate the man you called “Dad.”
- “Poems About Fathers.” Collections, Poetry Foundation, 2021. poetryfoundation.org.
- “Poems About Fathers.” Fathers, Academy of American Poets, 20 February 2014. poets.org.