It's fruitless to ask why this happened to your child. There probably aren't any answers that will give you peace. Instead, spend some time reading and reflecting on the loss of your child. Here are some quotes or poems to help you get started.
Jump ahead to these sections:
- Quotes that Say “Happy Birthday in Heaven, Son”
- Poems that Say “Happy Birthday in Heaven, Son”
- How to Say “Happy Birthday in Heaven, Son” on Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter
Quotes that Say "Happy Birthday in Heaven, Son"
Your son's birthday and the day he died may be particularly painful for you. You may dread when these anniversaries approach each year because you haven't figured out how to commemorate the life of your son.
Here are some quotes about losing someone who’s important to you.
- "Memories saturate my heart and the story of you spills from my eyes." — Grace Andren, Poet
- "Any woman who'd ever lost a child knew of the hollowness that remained within the soul." — Brittainy C. Cherry, Author
- "We do not ‘get over’ a death. We learn to carry the grief and integrate the loss in our lives. In our hearts, we carry those who have died. We grieve and we love. We remember." ― Nathalie Himmelrich, Author
- "Life is the only thing which can never be replaced when lost." — Lailah Gifty Akita, Author
- "Only through the significant loss of my loved ones have I truly begun to live. When their eyes closed, mine were opened." ― Angie Corbett-Kuiper, Author
- "You don't cross my mind. You live in it.” — Anonymous
- "As long as I live, as long as I breathe, with every beat of my heart, you will not be forgotten." — Angela Miller, Author
- "What we once enjoyed and deeply loved we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes part of us." — Helen Keller, Activist
- "The deeper that sorrow carves into your being the more joy you can contain. Is not the cup that holds your wine the very cup that was burned in the potter's oven?" — Kahlil Gibran, Poet
- "No one ever told me that grief felt so like fear." — C.S. Lewis, author
- "There's no tragedy in life like the death of a child. Things never get back to the way they were." — Dwight D. Eisenhower, Former President
- "Grief is the price we pay for love." — Queen Elizabeth II
Head over to our picks for popular "rest in peace" quotes if you're looking for more.
Share your final wishes, just in case.
Create a free Cake end-of-life planning profile and instantly share your health, legal, funeral, and legacy decisions with a loved one.
Poems that Say "Happy Birthday in Heaven, Son"
Poets have the gift of being able to put feelings into words. Literary poets can bring solace to some, while others may receive more comfort from the rhyming verses often published on greeting cards.
Here is a collection of poetry titles for you to search online. Hopefully, you will find one that describes how you feel as you approach your son's birthday.
"Half Of My Heart Is Gone" by Barbara J. Rouse
Barbara J. Rouse wrote this poem after losing her 29-year-old son. She speaks to her son and tells him how much she wishes she could see him again.
"A Picture Of You" by Deborah Robinson
In this poem, the author wishes she could have taken the place of her son when he passed away. This is a widespread thought for parents who lose a child.
"When God Comforted Me" by Colleen McLean
"When God Comforted Me" ends with the line, "I promise he's waiting here, when you get to heaven." This poem speaks to the hope that many parents have about eternal life. We all hope that we will be able to see our loved ones again when we die and go to heaven.
"Reality" by Denise Tiburcio
Denise Tiburcio wrote this poem during a sleepless night after the death of her son. She describes how writing gives her some comfort because she is able to express her sorrow and share it with others.
"A Tribute To Tyrone" by Kily Dunbar
Although this poem was written by an aunt and not a mother or father, the sentiment is the same. The speaker in this poem is broken-hearted over the loss of someone who is gone before his time.
"I Love You, Son" by Ambika Adhikari Tiwari
Each stanza of this poem starts with the line, "My dear son." It is clear to see how much the author misses his loved one who passed away too soon.
"Long, Long Summer Day" by Patricia L. Cisco
This poem was written by a mother who lost her son unexpectedly on a summer day. She writes this poem to help explain a mother's grief, which is much different than other types of loss.
"For The Need Of You" by Deborah Robinson
Deborah Robinson wrote another poem on this list about losing her son. In this poem, she speaks to her son, Liam. She tells Liam how much see mourns for him, and she tells her audience how dark her heart has become at the loss of her son.
"One Year Less" by Cheryl McDonald
In her poem, McDonald speaks to parents who have lost one child while others survive.
"Michael" by Bobbie J. Ripple
In this poem, Ripple talks to the Lord about the death of a child. He asks that God lets the child know how much he was loved and cherished.
Read our guide to the best funeral poems if you're looking for more.
How to Say "Happy Birthday in Heaven, Son" on Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter
When you lose someone, you worry that others may forget about the life of the person you cared about so much. You will do anything possible to keep that person's memory alive. Some turn to social media to ask friends and family to keep their loved ones in their thoughts.
Others may post birthday messages to deceased family members to let their followers know that they are still grieving. You may reach out to your social network if you are feeling particularly lonely or troubled and need a few kind words to help you get through the day.
Here are some sample posts that you may consider sharing on your son's birthday.
“Today would have Tom's 34th birthday. I continue to struggle with the loss of my beloved son, and I ask each of you to hug your children a little more tightly tonight. Life is fleeting, and we must keep our loved ones close.”
“Happy birthday in heaven, son. I can't believe it has been three years since we lost you. Your dad and I want you to know how much we miss your catapults into our bed every Sunday morning. We miss seeing you crash your Tonka truck into your sister's block tower. We miss your golden curls and bright, blue eyes. We miss you, son.”
“Today would have been Mike's 43rd birthday. To commemorate the day, we ask all that knew and loved him to wear a Blackhawk's T-shirt or jersey today. Also, if you are so inclined, drink a Bud Light in Mike's honor while listening to his favorite bands. We miss him so much, and we know others do too.”
“Happy birthday in heaven to my son, Peter. To celebrate Peter's birthday, we ask that each of you complete an act of kindness to a stranger. Pay someone's bill at the Starbucks drive-through. Help carry a neighbor's groceries inside the house. Buy a child a book. Donate your time to a homeless shelter. Peter was such a kind soul. Let's celebrate his life by spreading kindness today.”
“Happy birthday in heaven to my son, Oscar. Please comment below with your favorite memory of my dear boy. I love hearing your stories about his life and the impact he made on the world while he was here.”
“Queen Elizabeth once said, ‘Grief is the price we pay for love.’ Although I miss my son, especially today, on what would have been his 23rd birthday, I am so thankful for the time we had with him. Jude was all smiles. He was kind. He was a friend to everyone. We are grateful for his life, even though it was too short.”
Facing Your Son's Birthday
As you face the birthday of your son who is deceased, consider joining an in-person or online support group. There are many others out there who are hurting like you are, and sometimes it's helpful to share your grief with others.
Perhaps your grief is not as painful as it once was. Even though you have learned to survive without your son, your experiences may be helpful for others who are not coping as well. Give of your time and energy and help others in memory of the child you lost.