Just because a beloved sister is in heaven doesn’t mean that you can’t celebrate her birthday and other memorable occasions. The bond of love goes far beyond the grave, as these quotes and poems will help you see.
Jump ahead to these sections:
- “Happy Birthday Sister in Heaven” Quotes
- “Happy Birthday Sister in Heaven” Poems
- “Happy Birthday Sister in Heaven” Messages for Social Media
- “Happy Birthday Sister in Heaven” Messages for a Letter
If you’re looking for a poem, quote, or message to give your sister in heaven, use one of these to say “happy birthday in heaven, sister.”
“Happy Birthday Sister in Heaven” Quotes
These quotes can be posted on social media, sent to family members, or simply read in honor of a beloved sister on her birthday in heaven.
1. “Friends grow up and move away. But the one thing that’s never lost is your sister.” – Gail Sheeny
No matter how far away she moves, even if that means heaven, a sister’s love continues.
2. “A sister is a little bit of childhood that can never be lost.” – Marion C. Garretty
A sister is someone you carry with you through all of life, even though they may be gone.
3. “The best thing about having a sister was that I always had a friend.” – Cali Rae Turner
The loss of a sister often means the loss of a friend. Remember your sister and friend with this quote.
4. “A sister is a gift to the heart, a friend to the spirit, a golden thread to the meaning of life.” – Isadora James
The greatest gift in life is often those we are given to love. Wish her a happy birthday with this quote.
5. “You know full well as I do the value of sisters’ affections; there is nothing like it in this world.” – Charlotte Bronte
Carry your sister’s affections with you on her special day in heaven and remember to keep her close even though she is far away.
6. “There’s no better friend than a sister.” – Mary Engelbreit
If you were close to your sister, you know how true this is.
7. “There’s nobody in the world that knows me better than my sister.” – Tia Mowry
Sisters share a special bond that goes beyond life and death.
8. “If you have a sister and she dies, do you stop saying you have one? Or are you always a sister, even when the other half of the equation is gone?” – Jodi Picoult
You always have a sister. No matter what.
9. “Sweet, crazy conversations full of half sentences, daydreams and misunderstandings more thrilling than understanding could ever be.” – Toni Morrison
Did you share this kind of relationship with your sister? Take some time on her heavenly birthday to reminisce over your time together.
10. “A sister is one who reaches for your hand and touches your heart.” – Unknown
Sisters do more than hold the hands of their siblings—they hold their hearts.
“Happy Birthday Sister in Heaven” Poems
Consider reading one of these poetic tributes to the love of a sister on her birthday in heaven. You could also read other funeral poems that you find meaningful.
11. "You went away so suddenly we did not say goodbye, but Sisters can’t be parted; precious memories never die.” – Toni Kane
This short poem by Kane was never named, but it is poignant, all the same. Even though your sister may be in heaven, her memory and presence can stay with you through all time.
12. “She Is Gone” by David Harkins
The first lines of this poem demonstrate the pull between celebrating someone’s life and mourning their absence. Harkins writes,
“You can shed tears that she is gone
or you can smile because she has lived.
You can close your eyes and pray that she’ll come back
or you can open your eyes and see all she’s left.
Your heart can be empty because you can’t see her
or you can be full of the love you shared.”
13. “If Only You Could Have Stayed” by Catherine Lamberton
Lamberton expresses the pain she feels whenever she thinks of her sister. Special days, like birthdays, can be especially difficult to face. Lamerton writes,
“I wish I could hug you
and just see your face.
But now I have memories
to stand in your place.”
14. “Sister” by Toni Kane
Kane is a prolific poet and author who writes about the subject of sisters. Many of her poems revolve around dealing with the loss of a sister, such as this one. The following lines are perfect to help reflect on a dear relationship.
“You played a big part of my life
But now that you are gone
The love that I still have for you
Will just go on and on.”
15. “Broken Chain” by Ron Tranmer
Ron Tranmer is an inspirational poet whose work focuses on bringing hope and encouragement during times of sorrow. The poem, “Broken Chain,” is a beautiful tribute to a sister with these lines:
“We little knew that morning
God was to call your name.
In life, we loved you dearly,
In death, we do the same.
It broke our hearts to lose you,
You did not go alone.
For part of us went with you
The day God called you home.”
16. “Her Journey’s Just Begun” by Ellen Brenneman
If your sister battled with illness before she passed away, this could be a good “birthday in heaven” poem to read in her honor. The first few lines bring comfort for those left behind as Brenneman encourages the reader,
“Don’t think of her as gone away
her journey’s just begun
life holds so many facets
this earth is only one.”
17. “God’s Garden” by Melissa Shreve
This poem is a beautiful tribute to a sister who passed away after a long battle with illness. On her birthday in heaven, you can read these lines in her honor,
“God looked around his garden and found an empty place
He then looked down upon the Earth and saw your tired face
He put his arms around you and lifted you to rest
With the help of his angels, they flew you to your heavenly place.”
18. “To My Sister” by Allison Chambers Coxsey
If you want a poem that brings a smile to your face while you think about the relationship you had with your sister, this is the one. Coxsey starts her poem with the lines,
“I’m blessed to call you sister,
I also call you friend;
You’ve loved me unconditionally,
And stood through thick and thin.”
19. “No Friend Like a Sister” by Christina Rossetti
The lines of this poem will bring you back to all the things you cherished most about your sister.
“For there is no friend like a sister
In calm or stormy weather;
To cheer one on the tedious way,
To fetch one if one goes astray.”
20. “My Sister, My Friend” by Lien Stiegman
If you had a particularly close relationship with your sister, read this poem in her honor. The first few lines start by telling her that,
“To me, you were an angel in disguise.
Full of intuition, you were intelligent and wise.
Always giving and helping through good times and bad.
You were the best friend I’ve ever had.”
“Happy Birthday Sister in Heaven” Messages for Social Media
21. Happy Birthday in heaven, Sis! I miss you like crazy!
Sometimes, a simple message like this is best.
22. My dear sister, today is your birthday up in heaven. I hope you’re celebrating with Grandma and Gramps.
Mention who your sister is celebrating her birthday with in a message you post like this one.
23. Sis, today you’d be 35 years old and I suppose you’re celebrating in heaven. I’m sure remembering you down here, today.
Marking the important milestones is a helpful way of keeping your loved ones close even though they’re far away.
24. Happy birthday as you dance and sing and celebrate in heaven, sweet sister.
Imagining how your sister will celebrate her birthday is sure to put a smile on your face.
25. Sis, it’s your birthday in heaven today. We’re celebrating you here and thinking of you there.
Let her know that you’re thinking of her and celebrating her life with a post like this one.
26. Today, I wish I could eat a slice of cake with my best friend and sister rather than wishing her a happy birthday in heaven.
Is your sister’s birthday especially difficult? You can be real and honest about how you’re feeling with a social media post like this one.
27. The happiest of birthdays to the best of sisters in heaven. I can’t wait until we’re together again.
Are you looking forward to reuniting in heaven someday? Let her know with this message you can post on social media.
28. Sister, I’m celebrating your birthday today as you celebrate in heaven.
A message like this lets her know you’re celebrating and shares why the day is special with those who follow your posts.
29. I hope you’re having a giant celebration today, Sis! Happy birthday in heaven.
Just imagine your sister celebrating with everyone she knows and everyone she’s made friends with.
30. Our hearts are heavy but we know you’re finally free from the pain you experienced. Happy birthday in heaven, Sis.
It’s okay to express sadness over the loss of a sister during her special day. Those who follow your posts will understand and are sure to share messages of sympathy with you.
“Happy Birthday Sister in Heaven” Messages for a Letter
Do you want to write a letter or birthday card to your sister? Use one of these messages to let her know you’re thinking of her on her birthday.
31. Dear Sister, I wish we could be together on this, your special day. All my love, sweet Sis.
Just tell her that you wish you could be together. Sometimes, the simplest message is the best.
32. Sis, even though you’re in heaven, I’m still older than you! I bet you’re smiling at that. Love you!
Did you and your twin sister have a fun rivalry about who is older? Enjoy a smile with your sister in heaven when you bring it up.
33. I love you so much, sweet sister. On your birthday and always.
Share this simple message in a card or letter to let your sister know how much you love and miss her.
34. Can you believe you’d be 75 today? It’s almost as hard as believing that I’m nearly 80. Sis, we’re old as dirt!
Poke some fun at how old you both are if you enjoyed egging each other on about your ages.
35. Sister, I’m going to eat some cake in your honor and then go watch the sunset and think of you. I love you!
Are you going to do something in your sister’s honor on her birthday? Let her know about it in your card or letter.
Celebrating Birthdays in Heaven
Gone but not forgotten is the common refrain many people use when speaking of their loved ones who are no longer on earth. Celebrate your sister’s life and her birthday when she’s in heaven to keep her memory and her love alive in your heart.