If you or someone you love has ever received bad news from a doctor, you know how essential it is to maintain hope and a positive attitude. The mind is a powerful thing, and maintaining an optimistic spirit should be an integral part of the healing process.
Jump ahead to these sections:
- Quotes About Finding Hope About a Loss or Death
- Inspirational Quotes About Hope
- Quotes About Finding Hope and Love
- Quotes About Not Losing Hope
- Funny Quotes About Hope
- Religious, Spiritual, or Biblical Quotes About Hope
So, if you or someone close to you is going through a difficult time, here are some quotes to uplift you during your struggle. You may also be interested in learning some prayers for hope. Reflect on these quotes or say these prayers during your quiet time.
Quotes About Finding Hope After a Loss or Death
Perhaps you or a friend have recently suffered from a tragedy. If so, you may be looking for quotes about strength as well as some about hope.
Maintaining hope and staying positive is incredibly hard after bad things happen. You may want to talk with a mental health professional or a minister who has training in counseling to help you through the grieving process.
1. “Death is the greatest evil, because it cuts off hope.” —William Hazlitt
You may be feeling bereft of hope after your loved one dies. If you are feeling this way, talk with a professional who will help you through your desperate times.
2. “Fear of death is worse than death itself.” —Ancient Proverb
Those whose loved ones suffered a long illness before death will understand the meaning of this quote. Even though you are sad that your loved one is gone, and you feared for the moment of death, you may feel a bit of peace in knowing that he or she is no longer in pain.
3. “To die will be an awfully big adventure.” —J.M. Barrie
J.M. Barrie wrote Peter Pan. If you believe in the afterlife, you may look forward to the adventure that comes after taking your last breath.
4. “I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is ready for the ordeal of meeting me is another matter.” —Winston Churchill
Winston Churchill, the British Prime Minister during World War II, said this quote on his 75th birthday.
Inspirational Quotes About Hope
Do you or someone you know need encouragement? Here are some quotes about hope to help you through your day.
5. “Hope springs eternal in the human breast.” —Alexander Pope
Alexander Pope was a British poet. This line comes from the poem, “An Essay on Man.”
6. “After all, tomorrow is another day.” Margaret Mitchell
If you automatically read this quote in your mind with a feminine, southern drawl, you know that this is the last line of the movie “Gone With the Wind.”
7. “Confidence and hope do more good than physics.” —Galen
Galen was a 2nd-century Greek physician. The importance of maintaining a positive attitude has been known long before modern times.
8. “Where there’s life, there’s hope.” Ancient Proverb
Miracles do happen. Even if the situation looks dire, people recover, change their attitudes, and begin new ways of life every day.
Quotes About Finding Hope and Love
Make someone’s day by sharing one of these quotes about hope and love.
9. “Such ever was love’s way; to rise, it stoops.” —Robert Browning
Poet Robert Browning is trying to remind his readers that we need to put ourselves second when in a loving relationship.
10. “All you need is love.” —John Lennon and Paul McCartney
The Beatles were quite philosophical when writing many of the lyrics to their songs. This song title is deep but simply stated.
11. “Brief is life but love is long.” —Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Love endures forever.
12. “There is a comfort in the strength of love; t’ will make a thing endurable, which else would overset the brain, or break the heart.” —William Wordsworth
Show love and support to those who are suffering. It makes them stronger.
Join Cake's monthly newsletter.
Learn all you need to know about end-of-life.
Quotes About Not Losing Hope
Consider using one of these quotes when sending get well wishes to a friend or acquaintance.
13. “Hope” is the thing with feathers / That perches in the soul / And sings the tune without the words / And never stops - at all -” —Emily Dickinson
We love this description of hope by Emily Dickinson. Most of Dickinson’s poems were published posthumously.
14. “The task ahead of us is never as great as the power behind us.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson
You have more strength than you realize.
15. “Goals are not only absolutely necessary to motivate us. They are essential to really keep us alive.” —Robert Schuller
Encourage someone going through a difficult time to set small goals.
16. “If people just took it a day at a time, they’d be a lot happier.” —Richard Bachman
It is difficult to remember to live in the moment when you have a long haul in front of you.
Funny Quotes About Hope
Laughter is the best medicine. Hopefully, some of these quotes will be a smile on your face and a bounce in your step.
17. “An optimist is someone who goes after Moby Dick in a rowboat and takes the tartar sauce with him.” —Zig Ziglar
Zig Ziglar is known for writing and speaking about the power of positive thinking.
18. “Instead of weeping when a tragedy occurs in a songbird’s life, it sings away its grief. I believe we could well follow the pattern of our feathered friends.” —Robert S. Walker
You can’t change things after they happened, but you do have power over how you react to the tragedy.
19. “A man with a sense of humor doesn’t make jokes out of life. He merely recognizes the ones that are there.” —Unknown
Don’t judge people for trying to find humor in bad situations. Humor can be a healthy coping mechanism.
20. “Don’t worry about the world coming to an end today. It’s already tomorrow in Australia.” —Charles Schultz
Charles Schultz is the American cartoonist known for creating Snoopy, Charlie Brown, and the rest of the Peanuts gang.
21. “Listen to the mustn’ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the should n’ts, the impossibles, the won’ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me ... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.” —Shel Silverstein
Poet Shel Silverstein has a knack for explaining deep topics in a light-hearted way.
Religious, Spiritual, or Biblical Quotes About Hope
Believing in the afterlife often helps people maintain hope and a positive outlook. Here are some quotes from the Bible about hope and optimism.
22. “Say only what is good and helpful to those you are talking to, and what will give them a blessing.” —Ephesians 4:29
Paul reminds us that if we want people to maintain hope, we need only to share what is “good and helpful.”
23. “May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope.” —Romans 15:13
Paul, who wrote the book of Romans, says that hope comes from the Holy Spirit.
24. “Be strong and courageous. Do not fear or be in dread of them, for it is the Lord your God who goes with you. He will not leave you or forsake you.” —Deuteronomy 31:6
Who do you know that needs this reminder today?
25. “Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you in turmoil within me? Hope in God; for I shall again praise him, my salvation and my God.” —Psalm 42:11
We love this verse from the Book of Psalms because it describes a person speaking to his inner self.
26. “But as for me, I will look to the Lord; I will wait for the God of my salvation; my God will hear me.” —Micah 7:7
Christians are hopeful because they know that by believing in God, salvation is theirs.
How Do You Maintain a Positive, Hopeful Attitude?
With all the pains and sorrows in life, it is sometimes challenging to maintain a positive and hopeful attitude. You may know in your mind that the bad times are temporary, but what can you do to believe this in your soul?
Perhaps you can surround yourself with positive messages. You can listen to uplifting music or speakers as you go through your day. Others may set aside time each day to reflect, meditate, complete a daily devotion, or journal.
Limit your interactions with those who leave you feeling depleted and sad. One of the best ways to stay hopeful and positive is to surround yourself with optimistic, happy people.