For both believers and non-believers, thankfulness is a key to a happy life.
Jump ahead to these sections:
- Why Do People Thank the Universe?
- Ways You Can Thank the Universe After Manifesting
- Ways You Can Thank the Universe for Luck, Success, or Money
- Affirmations to Thank the Universe
- Other Ways to Thank the Universe for All of the Good Things
Whether you thank God or the universe for your gifts, here are some ideas on how to practice gratitude in your day-to-day life.
Why Do People Thank the Universe?
Gratitude is a feeling of thankfulness and appreciation. It’s a warm feeling you get when someone does something for you that has pleasing results. Typically there’s no concern about paying the person back for the gifts.
Ways You Can Thank the Universe After Manifesting
You may already know that a thankful heart is a happy heart, but how do you show thankfulness? Here are some ideas.
1. Practice daily gratitude
Changing your mindset to focus on the positive aspects of life isn’t easy. In fact, it takes a lot of practice. But like all difficult things, there are benefits in the end.
2. Record your daily gratitude
Keep a daily gratitude journal. This may be a struggle if you are a hesitant writer, but the benefits outweigh your discomfort.
Whether you record your daily thoughts in a Google doc or a beautiful journal is up to you. Some even record their gratitude journey on social media.
Those who keep a daily gratitude journal report that it changes how they view life. They find themselves looking for things to write about in their journals as they go throughout the day (instead of focusing on the daily annoyances of life).
3. Speak your daily gratitude
Whether you prefer prayer, meditation, or talking to yourself on your daily commute, let your voice declare your daily gratitude.
Saying the words out loud makes it more real. Also, your mind is less likely to slip back into negative thoughts when talking aloud.
4. Dwell on thankful thoughts
Most people can come up with something to be thankful for if hard-pressed. However, instead of letting your gratitude stay present in your mind for as long as it takes to write it down, dwell on the thankful thoughts.
Do a deep dive into your gratitude. Spend time looking at it from all different angles.
5. Use your creativity
Recording your gratitude doesn’t need to take the form of a journal. Instead, consider using your artistic skills to say thank you to the universe. Draw, paint, or photograph images that show your gratitude.
6. Spend time in nature
Some find it easier to connect with God or the universe when spending time in nature. So try to find time each day to breathe in fresh air as you pause to express your gratitude.
7. Be kind to yourself
You can’t change the mistakes you made in the past. You may need to remind yourself daily of this fact while practicing gratitude.
Ways You Can Thank the Universe for Luck, Success, or Money
Are you looking for other ways to express gratitude for the gifts in your life? Here are some additional ways you can show thankfulness for your blessings.
8. Keep a gratitude jar
A gratitude jar (or any container) holds small scraps of paper to record the thing you appreciate. Your gratitude jar can be private or one you share with your family. Some families have an event – perhaps on Thanksgiving – to read the messages recorded throughout the year.
9. Consider the amount of time you spend on social media
A lot has been written on the effects of social media. Most find it difficult not to compare their lives with others when interacting with this online content.
You may find it more difficult to practice daily gratitude when you spend a lot of time on social media. Either you will become envious of other people’s lives or maintain the “it could be worse” mentality. Either possibility may take away your ability to be truly present in your own world.
10. Begin and end your day with gratitude
Set the mood for your day and get a good night’s sleep when you focus on gratitude at these critical points of your day. Perhaps morning would be a good time for prayer and meditation, and evening would be an excellent time to write in your gratitude journal.
11. See the beauty in what you have
Many of us have trained our minds only to see flaws. Your eyes might immediately go toward the stain in your carpet when you enter a room instead of focusing on the comfort and warmth the rug provides.
You may long for an upgraded shower instead of being thankful for the gift of clean, running water.
You may focus on the table’s mismatched cutlery and plastic cups instead of being grateful for the food available to nourish your body.
12. Spread joy
Once you realize that there’s so much to be grateful for, it will be easier to spread that joy to others. Your positivity will radiate to other people.
13. Practice gratitude in advance
You don’t have to wait for good things to happen to be thankful for them. Some say that good things are more likely to manifest if you show gratitude for them in advance.
Focus your energies on the blessings that are around the corner from you.
14. Be thankful for life’s lessons
We’re not saying it’s easy, but gratitude experts advise people to see the positive side of life’s difficult moments. For example, the financial hardship you may have experienced in the past may cause you to be more thankful when there’s money in the bank to pay the bills. Likewise, you might be even more grateful for your current relationships if it took a lot of work to achieve that level of closeness.
15. Ingest positive messages
We want to steal the phrase “garbage in, garbage out” from the tech industry. For example, consider the entertainment you consume. Listening to music and podcasts with upbeat, positive messages may be just what the doctor ordered in improving your mood and attitude.
And what about the books, TV, and movies you consume? How do they affect your ability to be grateful? How does your preferred news outlet affect your ability to stay optimistic about life?
16. Practice being present
Phone addiction is a real thing. Instead of viewing the world through your screen by constantly taking photos and videos, try to put your phone down to be more present. Use all of your senses to appreciate your surroundings.
Like anything difficult, being present in a situation may take practice. However, we are sure that you will see positive results.
Affirmations to Thank the Universe
Here are some affirmations, mantras, and quotes to think about, write about, or reflect on during your journey of becoming a more thankful person.
17. I am thankful for this beautiful life
That’s it—no need to add “except for” statements.
18. I am thankful to be alive and healthy
Say this out loud every morning. Every breath is a blessing.
19. I am grateful for what I have
Be grateful for your basic necessities that have been met and the other items that bring you joy.
20. I am thankful for the people in my life
Whether you have one close friend or are surrounded by a tribe of people, learn how to be thankful for them.
21. I am grateful for second chances
To err is human. To be given a second chance is also an essential part of humanity.
22. “At times, our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us.” – Albert Schweitzer
Whose flame can you light? Who lit yours?
23. “Gratitude turns what we have into enough.” – Anonymous
Being content is an integral part of your gratitude journey.
24. “Gratitude is a powerful catalyst for happiness. It’s the spark that lights a fire of joy in your soul.” – Amy Collette
A thankful heart is a happy heart.
25. “Thankfulness is the beginning of gratitude. Gratitude is the completion of thankfulness. Thankfulness may consist merely of words. Gratitude is shown in acts.” – Henri Frederic Amiel
What did you do today to show that you are grateful for your blessings?
26. “Happiness cannot be traveled to, owned, earned, worn or consumed. Happiness is the spiritual experience of living every minute with love, grace, and gratitude.” – Denis Waitley
Try to find gratitude in line at the grocery store or while waiting to pick your children up from school.
27. “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues but the parent of all others.” – Marcus Tullius Cicero
How has your gratitude journey helped you? Has it made you more compassionate and understanding?
28. “Gratitude will shift you to a higher frequency, and you will attract much better things.” – Rhonda Byrne
Some people say that good things will manifest in your life if you send out positive vibrations in the universe.
29. “When I started counting my blessings, my whole life turned around.” – Willie Nelson
The change may not come overnight.
30. “The highest tribute to the dead is not grief, but gratitude.” – Thornton Wilder
Thornton Wilder is best known for his play Our Town.
31. “There is a calmness to a life lived in gratitude, a quiet joy.” – Ralph H. Blum
Are you seeking inner peace? Practice gratitude.
32. “Being thankful is not always experienced as a natural state of existence, we must work at it, akin to a type of strength training for the heart.” – Larissa Gomez
Many of these aphorisms and quotes are pleasant to hear, but they are hard to practice.
33. “Be thankful for what you have; you’ll end up having more. If you concentrate on what you don’t have, you will never, ever have enough.” – Oprah Winfrey
Hang positive quotes such as these around your home as a reminder to stay positive and thankful.
Other Ways to Thank the Universe for All of the Good Things
As we consider other ways to thank the universe for all of the good things in life, let’s consider one more quote:
“Two kinds of gratitude: The sudden kind we feel for what we take; the larger kind we feel for what we give.” – Edwin Arlington Robinson
We love this quote because it reminds us to be thankful for the opportunity to give to others. Being able to share your life’s gifts, blessings, talents, and knowledge is a beautiful thing.
Here are some facts you can do to show that you are genuinely grateful for your blessings.
34. Compliment others
Hearing a sincere, heartfelt compliment could change someone’s day (or life!).
35. Serve others
Take meals to those in mourning. Give a struggling couple a break from their kids. Send flowers to your mom. Serve breakfast in bed to your partner. These are all simple acts that can make a big difference.
36. Look for ways to be helpful
Instead of looking for official volunteer opportunities, look for ways to serve others in your community. Find a need and fill it.
A Thankful Heart Is a Happy Heart
It’s impossible to be angry or resentful when you have a thankful heart. So keep that in mind when you find yourself being bogged down with negative thoughts.