Did you share a special bond with your Dad? Do you feel like life has a big hole in it now that he is gone? Whether you feel his absence each day or you notice it more when doing an activity you used to do together, it only makes sense that you’ll miss your father.
Jump ahead to these sections:
- Short ‘I Miss My Dad’ Poems
- ‘I Miss My Dad’ Quotes to Share
- ‘I Miss My Dad’ Songs to Listen To
- ‘I Miss My Dad’ Messages From a Daughter
- ‘I Miss My Dad’ Messages From a Son
Sharing your feelings can be a healthy way to honor his memory and ask people for support. Consider using some of these poems, messages, or quotes to share with your friends and tell them how much you miss your Dad.
Short ‘I Miss My Dad’ Poems
Poetry is a perfect way to express our feelings about the ones we love and miss. Read through these ‘I miss my Dad’ poems when you want to feel especially close to your dad.
1. “Away” by James Whitcomb Riley
Sometimes it’s easier to think of a deceased loved one as simply away for now, rather than dead and gone. That is the theme of this poem by James Riley. He opens the poem by saying, “I cannot say and I will not say that he is dead, he is just away.” He concludes with the lines, “Think of him still the same way, I say; He is not dead, he is just away.”
2. “Moments Before” by Kelly Horn
Kelly Horn describes the moment when she realized she wouldn’t have any more time with her dad. She shares her experience of going on a walk with her father knowing the path would run out before she was ready to say goodbye. She concludes her poem with the lines, “I’ll remember that walk I took with my father and always wish it could have been longer.”
3. “A Great Soul” by Maya Angelou
This poem by Angelou encourages the reader with the lines, “A great soul never dies, it brings us together again and again.” Even though your father may not be present on earth, his memory can still unite your family and bring you together in his honor.
4. “To My Father” by Georgia Harkness
Georgia describes her father’s life by using the metaphor of a pine tree. During life, her dad stood straight and tall and sheltered her family. After he fell, the spot was barren and lonely. Everyone who passed by the spot talked about the pine tree and the lessons it taught them.
5. “Father” by Ella Wheeler Wilcox
This poem is a beautiful tribute to a father’s life. Wilcox describes the father in her poem as a kind, gentle man who teaches his children how to be good people. Though he wasn’t wealthy and had just a regular job, “he made them heirs to riches without price.”
‘I Miss My Dad’ Quotes to Share
Whether you text, message, or post on social media, these quotes are perfect to share when you are missing your Dad.
6. “Dad is and always will be my living, breathing superhero.” - Bindi Irwin
Bindi lost her dad when she was still a little girl. She is now married with a daughter of her own and has never lost her connection with her dad. She continues to uphold his memory and legacy through her work and her family. She even gave her daughter a middle name in honor of her dad.
7. “The loss of my father will always sting. But now, everything that I do is in honor of him and celebrates his life.” - Adrienne C. Moore
The loss of someone you love will never go away but Adrienne decided to channel her grief into continuing the legacy of her father.
8. “There is no expiration date on the love between a father and his child.” - Jennifer Williamson
No matter how long a father has been gone, the love shared between a Dad and child will never end. Love cannot be diminished by time, distance, or death.
9. “It is not flesh and blood but the heart which makes us fathers and sons.” – Johann Friedrich Von Schiller
If you had a stepfather that stepped into your life and took up the role of father, you know how true this quote is. Fatherhood is a choice. The connection of love, dedication, and friendship makes the relationship thrive between father and son. Even death cannot sever that connection.
10. “You will always be in my heart… because in there you’re still alive.” – Jamie Cirello
When we remember those we love, we keep them alive. Their memory lives on in our hearts, thoughts, and memories.
‘I Miss My Dad in Heaven’ Messages to Share
Use one of these messages to share with a friend, family member, or on social media when you’re missing your dad an extra amount.
11. Today Dad has been in Heaven for three years. I miss him like crazy and still think of him all the time. It hurts less but I sure feel his absence more each day.
Documenting the passage of time in a message like this can help you track the changing seasons and honor your father’s memory.
12. Missing Dad today. Wish he could be here to see my kids grow up, go to school, graduate, get married, all the things. Tears...
Share the things you miss the most, the things that make you tear up, and the things you struggle with in light of your Dad’s absence.
13. Why is it that some days it feels like dad went to heaven just yesterday and other days it feels like it’s been an eternity? Missing Dad so much today. Just wish I could hear his laugh one more time.
Grief is a journey and it will feel differently some days than others. Share how you’re feeling with someone who understands.
14. You know what I miss the most about Dad? His jokes. Those hilariously corny jokes that he loved to tell us whenever we got together. What I would give to hear another of his dad jokes.
Was your Dad known for something special? Perhaps it was his corny jokes, his famous stories, or his BBQ skills. Think of these things as you remember him and keep his legacy alive.
15. I went fishing today and felt Dad’s absence so much I could barely hold the pole. It’s so hard having him gone, knowing he’ll never get to teach my children his famous fishing tricks or show them how to dig for bait. I guess I’ll have to teach them in his honor.
Did you and your Dad do special things together? Returning to those activities might feel difficult when it’s just you, or you and your children without your father. Share this if you encounter an activity that makes you especially miss your Dad.
‘I Miss My Dad’ Songs to Listen To
Sometimes you need a song to express the deep feelings of missing someone you love. Each of these songs talks about a father’s relationship with his children and the heartache of missing him when he’s gone.
16. Dance with My Father by Luther Vandross
Vandross wrote this song in memory of his father who passed away when he was seven years old. In the song, Vandross sings about dancing with his father in the kitchen — one of the most cherished memories he had of his dad.
17. The Living Years by Mike + The Mechanics
In this song, the singer explores his relationship with his father. While living, he didn’t feel particularly close to his father. After his dad passed away, he realized they were closer than he thought. As he thinks about his dad, he wishes they would have shared more life and said the things that would forever remain unsaid.
18. I’m Already There by Lonestar
This song is written from the perspective of a father who is away from his family. He tells his family that even though he is away from them, he will always be with them in spirit. This song is a perfect reminder that your father is always with you even if he is gone.
19. Father to Son by Phil Collins
Phil wrote this song for his son and tries to encourage him with the line, “if you look behind you, I will be there." Even when fathers may no longer be physically present, if we remember the lessons they taught and the wisdom they shared, they are still with us.
20. Monsters by James Blunt
James wrote this song for his father who was diagnosed with stage four kidney disease. In the song, he tells his dad it’s time for him to rest while James chases the monsters away just as his father had done for James when he was a child.
‘I Miss My Dad’ Messages From a Daughter
Write these messages in a journal, in a note with flowers at his grave, or in a text to a trusted friend or relative.
21. I miss my Daddy so much today. I’ll always remember the way he made me feel – special like I was the only one in the world. There was so much love in his eyes when he looked at me.
Did you share a special connection with your Dad? Remember those sweet things you shared that made your relationship so special.
22. Today is my little girl’s fifth birthday and I miss Dad so much. I wish he was here to twirl her around just like he did with me when I was her age.
Special occasions can be a reason to miss your Dad even more than usual. Share this if it happens to you.
23. Thinking of my Dad up in heaven. I wonder what he’s doing up there. Knowing him, he’s already befriended everyone! He never did meet a stranger.
Do you ever wonder what it’s like up in Heaven for your Dad? Maybe his larger-than-life personality has already made him friends with everyone. Or maybe he’s fishing in a quiet corner with his childhood best friend. Thinking about what he’s doing can help you feel closer despite his absence.
24. Today was one of those days Dad loved most. Watching the sunset and the fireflies dance makes me feel like he’s here even though he’s been gone for a year already.
Did your Dad love a certain day or season? Remember him when you encounter a special day he would have loved if he were still alive.
25. Daddy, you were my first love, my first dance, my first date. Now, I have a family of my own and I wish you were here to share your jokes, wisdom, and bear hugs.
Share this message in a letter or card you write to your father. Tell him what you miss the most about him and remember what made him so special.
‘I Miss My Dad’ Messages From a Son
No matter how long your Dad has been gone, the bond between a father and son never fades away. Share messages such as these to let friends and family know how much you’re missing your Dad.
26. Tossing a ball around with my son just like my Dad did with me. I sure do miss him.
Are there activities that remind you of your Dad? Share these things in a message.
27. I wish Dad was here to share his wisdom with me. Decisions are a lot harder to make without him here.
Did your father give you counsel and wisdom for life’s big decisions? This message is a reflection of that.
28. Missing Dad today.
This is simple, short, and to the point. Use a message like this when you miss your Dad and don’t feel like elaborating.
29. My Dad was my hero and my best friend. Really miss the jokes, laughter, and conversations we shared.
What do you miss the most about your Dad? Share a few of those things.
30. Now that I’m a Dad, I miss my Dad even more than ever.
Did you recently become a Dad? Share a message like this to honor your father.
Missing Your Dad
Though time may seem to lessen the intensity of grief you feel, you’ll always miss the person who made you feel special, loved, and valued. Share these messages when you notice yourself missing your Dad.
- “Father’s Day Songs.” Features, Smooth Radio, 15 June 2020. smoothradio.com/features/fathers-day-songs-about-dads.