Even in the best of times, we all have days where our emotions are sluggish and we don’t want to move forward.
Jump ahead to these sections:
- Inspirational Prayers for Meetings
- Inspirational Prayers for the Sick
- Inspirational Prayers for Incarcerated People
- Inspirational Prayers to Start the Day
- Inspirational Prayers for Students
With difficult life events, from big class exams to going to jail, it can be tough to summon the willpower to move forward. Praying for motivation can be a powerful way to reverse a stagnant attitude and get back into gear for what’s next.
Below, we’ve collected some short, inspirational prayers you can lean on in a time of weakened wills.
Inspirational Prayers for Meetings
Especially if your meeting has any tension or low morale, these prayers can be helpful for spiritually-based gatherings, non-profits, or other groups where a prayer might help unite everyone to the mission and vision.
Get our free checklist for navigating loss 💙
Enter your email to get your free roadmap for the steps after loss in your inbox.
1. “The Four Immeasurables Prayer” from Buddhism
“May all beings never be separated from joy that is free of misery.
May all beings abide in equanimity, free from bias, attachment, and aversion.”
This prayer for peace and joy showcases the possibility of feeling inspired and connected in unity.
2. “Dua For Success” from Islam
“My success is not but through Allah. Upon Him I have relied, and to Him I return.”
Surah Hud - 11:88
When we recognize that our successes are through a higher power’s grace and kindness, it can be easier to feel grateful and motivated.
3. “A Hindu Peace Prayer” from Hinduism
“May all things be a source of peace to all and to me.”
This simple prayer can be a good reminder before a meeting that peace is very important, and that we can each contribute to the cause of peace.
4. “Prayer for Job Frustration” from Christianity
“Teach us to pray for our work; to pray while we do our work and to pray for those with whom we work.”
This prayer might be a silent one during a meeting, but it could be very helpful if you’re experiencing a frustrating season at work.
5. “Prayer for Motivation” from Christianity
“May God, the source of hope, fill you with all joy and peace by means of your faith in him, so that your hope will continue to grow by the power of the Holy Spirit.” – Romans 15:13
This prayer encourages you to open your eyes to God’s hope and joy as a way to rejuvenate your spirit and motives.
Inspirational Prayers for the Sick
When you’re feeling low, it’s especially powerful to hear inspirational words that help to change your outlook. Here are some to help you pray for healing.
6. “Psalms 34:17” from Christianity
“The righteous cry, and the Lord hears, and delivers them out of all their troubles.”
When you feel full of frustration, it can help to remember that prayer is meant to be a connection between you and a higher power, enabling you to let loose your frustrations.
7. “Prayer For Success” from Islam
“My success is not but through Allah. Upon him I have relied, and to Him I return.” Surah Hud - 11:88
This prayer reminds us that our health, like so much else, is in Allah’s hands, and relying on him for recovery from illness may be our task in this season.
8. “Prayer for Recovery” from Christianity
“Dear Lord, thank You for letting me lean on You. Fill my heart with Your healing love and the power of Your strength so that I may live the life You planned for me.”
When feeling ill, being supported is one of the most inspiring feelings. This prayer can be a great one to share when someone you love is sick.
9. “Give Me Strength” from Catholicism
“Sometimes I feel like I can't go on. The pain and the fear are too much for me, and I know that I don't have the strength on my own to get through this.”
This prayer, focused on admitting where you’re at and asking for help, is a vulnerable prayer that is powerful in its honesty.
Download your free end-of-life plan.
Enter your email below to get your free checklist in your inbox.
10. “Prayer for Healing Conductors” from Sufism
“Beloved Lord, Almighty God, Pour Thy healing power through my breath, my thought, my glance, my words, and my touch.”
For health professionals, this can be a prayer for healing in their work. It can also be a beneficial prayer for friends and loved ones of someone ill who want to help but aren’t sure how.
Inspirational Prayers for Incarcerated People
When in jail or prison, it makes sense to both turn to your spirituality and to call on your religious loved ones for their prayers. It’s a trying time, but spirituality can give meaning to difficult circumstances like incarceration.
11. “Prayer Against Hopelessness” from Christianity
“Lord, comfort me when I feel discouraged.”
This simple prayer can be a repeated mantra on the bad days. It doesn’t have to minimize the complexity and tough feelings, but can instead be a simple reminder of one’s faith.
12. “Universal Prayer of Sri Swami Sivananda” from Hinduism
“Grant us inner spiritual strength to resist temptations and to control the mind.”
In prison and jail, there are certainly temptations to numbness, fear, or giving up on one’s goals. This prayer offers a great way to remind us that, in or out of incarceration, we can work to keep our minds alert to opportunities to do good.
13. “Prayer for Strength” from Christianity
“Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.” - Galatians 6:9
Similar to the point above, remember that doing good now, even in dark circumstances, has its rewards.
14. “Short Prayers” from Sufism
“Open my heart, that Thy spirit I may reflect. My life is changing and taking a better turn.”
This portion of a list of short prayers from the Sufi religious practice is a great way to consciously remind oneself that life can change and people can grow.
15. “Prayer for Joy” from Christianity
“You will show me the path that leads to life; your presence fills me with joy and brings me pleasure forever.” – Psalm 16:11
While this may seem sunny for a tough time, asking for the path that leads to life is applicable even in the hardest circumstances.
Inspirational Prayers to Start the Day
You can launch your day on the right foot by reciting a thoughtful prayer in the morning.
16. “Prayer for This Day” from Christianity
“Give me the strength enough for today that I will overcome.”
This prayer focuses on this day, rather than trying to cover everything you have to accomplish in a week, month, or lifetime.
17. “Philippians 4:19” from Christianity
“But my God shall supply all your needs according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.”
This prayer is a great reminder of the support from one’s higher power that can comfort and affirm your ability to get through the day.
Get weekly reminders to live life fully.
We'll send inspirational quotes directly to your inbox.
18. “Energy Boost Prayer” from Islam
“Shall I not guide you and direct you to something better than what you have asked for?”
This prayer/query from the Islamic tradition can be a good reminder that, with the belief in a good and just God, we can feel confidence and hope in the face of uncertainty.
19. “A Prayer of Love” from Hinduism
“Without the wise, love cannot be born. The dross of the ego cannot be rinsed away. He who recognizes God within understands the secret of the Word and is happy.”
Noticing your inner connection to spirituality can make the whole day better.
20. “Dalai Lama Motivation Check” from Buddhism
“Is it just for me or for others? For the benefit of the few or for the many? For now or for the future?”
This set of questions can help you pray for motivation to do the right thing, not just the easy thing.
Inspirational Prayers for Students
Students often feel like they are in an in-between period in life, and these prayers can help them work through that stressful time.
21. “Contemplating Intention” from Buddhism
“What is it that I value deeply? What, in the depth of my heart, do I wish for myself, for my loved ones, and for the world?”
As you learn, ask yourself this question again and again. Compare your answers and they will help guide your pursuits.
22. “Gayatri Mantra” from Hinduism
“May my intellect be steady without agitation. May it be clear without anger or passion.”
This is a great prayer for right before a test or other major challenge.
23. “The Serenity Prayer” from Christianity and Other Traditions
“God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference.”
This prayer helps us to know the difference between acceptance and complacency, and is incredibly important for students.
24. “Prayer for Energy” from Christianity
“Lord, give me strength when I feel sluggish.”
We all get this way sometimes, especially after long hours of homework and studying.
Praying to Inspire and Motivate
Prayers can boost our moods, and they can be a way to share inspiring best wishes with others who are going through it.
By choosing a prayer that aims to gently inspire and encourage, you are reminding yourself and others of how powerful spirituality is in changing lives.
Even in the difficult times, you can find the inner drive to carry on.
- “A Dua to Literally Boost Energy.” Muslim Matters Magazine. muslimmatters.org/2015/04/30/dua-literally-boost-energy/
- “Praying For Determination, Tenacity and Strength.” Missionaries of Prayer. missionariesofprayer.org/2011/01/blessing-prayer-day-6-praying-determination-stamina-strength/
- “Give Me Strength, Lord.” Catholic.org. catholic.org/prayers/prayer.php?p=2940
- “Two Exercises For Turning Intention Into Motivation.” Tricycle: The Buddhist Review. tricycle.org/trikedaily/thupten-jinpa-motivation/
- “Hindu Prayers.” Center for Mission and Identity. Xavier University. xavier.edu/jesuitresource/online-resources/prayer-index/hindu-prayers
- “Duas for Success.” Islamic Finder. islamicfinder.org/duas/masnoon/for-success/
- “Prayers for Healing.” Sufi Healing. Sufi Healing Order. sufihealingorder.net/prayers-of-healing