Most faith groups promote the importance of gratitude. After all, a thankful heart is a happy heart. With that said, here are some quotes we found from LDS websites about gratitude. Some of the selections are from Mormon leaders or the Book of Mormon.
Jump ahead to these sections:
- Inspirational LDS Quotes About Gratitude
- LDS Quotes About Gratitude to Share During the Holidays
- LDS Quotes About Gratitude to Share in a Card
- LDS Quotes About Gratitude to Share on Social Media
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is headquartered in Salt Lake City, Utah.
Inspirational LDS Quotes About Gratitude
Whether you are Mormon, Muslim, or Christian, we are sure you will appreciate these quotes about thankfulness and gratitude.
» MORE: Need help paying for a funeral? Let Cake help with a free consultation.
1. “To the Lord Jesus, who bought us with a great price, we owe an undying debt of gratitude. All people who understand what Jesus did for us ought to love him and demonstrate that love by rendering to him, in a realistic manner, thanks and gratitude.” – Marion G. Romney
Marion Romney is the first cousin once removed of Mitt Romney, the Republican nominee for President in 2012.
2. “We so easily forget that we came into life with nothing. Whatever we get soon seems our natural right, not a gift. And we forget the giver. Then our gaze shifts from what we have been given to what we don’t have yet.” – Henry B. Eyring
What Eyring describes happens to many of us. Focusing on the gifts we receive from God takes practice.
3. “You could have an experience with the gift of the Holy Ghost today. You could begin a private prayer with thanks. You could start to count your blessings, and then pause for a moment. If you exercise faith, and with the gift of the Holy Ghost, you will find that memories of other blessings will flood into your mind. If you begin to express gratitude for each of them, your prayer may take a little longer than usual. Remembrance will come. And so will gratitude.” – Henry B. Eyring
According to the LDS website, Henry B. Eyring was “sustained and set apart as second counselor in the First Presidency of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on Sunday, January 14, 2018.”
4. “A grateful heart is a beginning of greatness. It is an expression of humility. It is a foundation for the development of such virtues as prayer, faith, courage, contentment, happiness, love, and well-being.” – James E. Faust
Faust was born in 1920 and died in 2007.
5. “In some quiet way, the expression and feelings of gratitude have a wonderful cleansing or healing nature. Gratitude brings warmth to the giver and the receiver alike.” – Robert D. Hales
Have you felt the cleansing and healing nature of gratitude?
6. “We can lift ourselves, and others as well, when we refuse to remain in the realm of negative thought and cultivate within our hearts an attitude of gratitude. If ingratitude be numbered among the serious sins, then gratitude takes its place among the noblest of virtues.” – Thomas S. Monson
Monson was the 16th President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
LDS Quotes About Gratitude to Share During the Holidays
Even though gratitude is popular to discuss during the winter holidays, a thankful heart shouldn’t be limited to one season. Here are some quotes about gratitude found on Mormon websites to share during the holidays or any other time of year.
8. “If we truly want to have the Spirit of the Lord and experience joy and happiness, we should rejoice in our blessings and be grateful.” – Quentin L. Cook
Currently, Cook is the eighth most senior apostle in the church.
9. “Gratitude is a Spirit-filled principle. It opens our minds to a universe permeated with the richness of a living God.” – Bonnie D. Parkin
Parkin served as the fourteenth Relief Society General President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
10. “When we give thanks in all things, we see hardships and adversities in the context of the purpose of life.” – Dallin H. Oaks
Oaks offered these thoughts about hardships and adversities during his talk “Give Thanks in All Things.”
11. “Could I suggest that we see gratitude as a disposition, a way of life that stands independent of our current situation? In other words, I’m suggesting that instead of being thankful for things, we focus on being thankful in our circumstances—whatever they may be.” – Dieter F. Uchtdorf
Uchtdorf was born in Czechia, or The Czech Republic.
12. “God is the same yesterday, today, and forever, but we are not. Each day, ours is the challenge to access the power of the Atonement so that we can truly change, become more Christlike, and qualify for the gift of exaltation and live eternally with God, Jesus Christ, and our families. For these powers, privileges, and gospel gifts, thanks be to God!” – Russell M. Nelson
Nelson is a retired surgeon who is the 17th and current president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
13. “My brothers and sisters, to express gratitude is gracious and honorable, to enact gratitude is generous and noble, but to live with gratitude ever in our hearts is to touch heaven.” – Thomas Monson
LDS Quotes About Gratitude to Share in a Card
Even though some of these quotes about gratitude are lengthy, they are certainly worth sharing in a card. So here are some more quotes from Mormon leaders about the meaning of gratitude.
14. “Counting blessings is better than recounting problems.” – Thomas Monson
Monson spoke about gratitude in a general conference address in 2012.
15. “Blessed be the name of our God; let us sing to his praise, yea, let us give thanks to his holy name, for he doth work righteousness forever.” – Alma 26:8
This reading is from the Book of Mormon.
16. “How much better it would be if all could be more aware of God’s providence and love and express that gratitude to Him.” – Russell M. Nelson
Nelson offered this thought about gratitude in February 2019.
17. “Gratitude is a sign of maturity. It is an indication of sincere humility. It is a hallmark of civility. And most of all, it is a divine principle. I doubt there is anything in which we more offend the Almighty than in our tendency to forget his mercies and to be ungrateful for that which he has given us.” – Gordon B. Hinckley
Hinckley shared this thought in his book, Standing for Something: 10 Neglected Virtues That Will Heal Our Hearts and Homes.
» MORE: Save thousands on funeral costs by knowing your options – schedule a free consultation today.
18. “Gratitude is the beginning of wisdom. Stated differently, true wisdom cannot be obtained unless it is built on a foundation of true humility and gratitude.” – Gordon B. Hinckley
This is another quote from Hinckley’s book.
LDS Quotes About Gratitude to Share on Social Media
Instead of writing another post about your fabulous vacation or talented children, why not spread a message of thanksgiving to those who follow you on social media? Unsure what to write? Borrow these quotes about gratitude by LDS leaders.
19. “Gratitude is the beginning of civility, of decency and goodness, of a recognition that we cannot afford to be arrogant. We should walk with the knowledge that we will need help every step of the way.” – Gordon B. Hinckley
Hinckley passed away in 2018.
20. “Gratitude is the very essence of worship—thanksgiving to the God of Heaven, Who has given us all that we have that is good.” – Gordon B. Hinckley
We love the idea of gratitude being a way to worship God.
21. “Yes, you and I should count our blessings, but we should also make them count!” – Neal A. Maxwell
Maxwell made this statement in a discussion titled “Apply the Atoning Blood of Christ.”
22. “The grateful man sees so much in the world to be thankful for, and with him the good outweighs the evil. Love overpowers jealousy, and light drives darkness out of his life…Pride destroys our gratitude and sets up selfishness in its place. How much happier we are in the presence of a grateful and loving soul, and how careful we should be to cultivate, through the medium of a prayerful life, a thankful attitude toward God and man!” – Joseph F. Smith
Smith was the nephew of Joseph Smith.
23. “So be kind, and be grateful that God is kind. It is a happy way to live.” – Jeffrey R. Holland
Holland served as the ninth president of Brigham Young University.
Celebrate Positive Attitudes!
We love these quotes about having an attitude of gratitude. Did your recently deceased friend or family member worship God with thankfulness? Perhaps you could use one of these quotes or LDS funeral poems at their end-of-life service.
- “Gratitude and Thanksgiving.” LDS Quotations. Ldsquotations.com. Accessed 28 February 2022.
- Ingram, Aleah. “10 LDS Quotes on Gratitude to Help You Count Your Blessings.” LDS Daily. Ldsdaily.com. Accessed 28 February 2022.
- Toone, Trent. “5 Thoughts from Latter-Day Saint Leaders on the Meaning of Gratitude.” Church News. Thechurchnews.com. Accessed 28 February 2022.