A memory pillow is a lovely and unique way to remember a family member or friend who has died. These pillows are often made from a favorite shirt or another treasured clothing item that belonged to your loved one.
Jump ahead to these sections:
- Famous Short Quotes for a Memory Pillow
- Funny Sayings for a Memory Pillow
- Inspirational or Heartfelt Sayings for a Memory Pillow
They may also often feature meaningful or encouraging quotes embroidered on the pillow. These memory pillow sayings could be something your loved one used to say or a passage from a favorite book or poem. The ultimate goal for a quote is something that reminds you of your loved one in some way.
Here are some suggestions for quotes you can use to infuse a memory pillow with special meaning.
If you're interested in other unique ways to honor a loved one, you can consider a custom urn from a store like Foreverence or even have a memorial diamond made from ashes with a company like Eterneva.
Famous Short Quotes for a Memory Pillow
Many well-known writers and thinkers have grappled with issues of mortality and grief. Here are some of our favorite quotes we can attribute to famous sources.
1. “Life has to end. Love doesn’t.” by Mitch Albom
The feelings you have for deceased loved ones don’t go anywhere. Part of our pain comes from not having anywhere to direct those feelings.
Hug a simple pillow embroidered with these words and try to take comfort in the fact that your love for them remains strong.
2. “How lucky am I to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.” by A.A. Milne
This quote comes from the iconic children’s book “Winnie the Pooh.” It would be an ideal quote for a pillow intended for a child to help him or her cope with the loss of a parent or grandparent.
3. “Only a moment you stayed, but what an imprint your footprints have left on our hearts.” by Dorothy Ferguson
One of the hardest losses is the death of a child. This excerpt poignantly captures the tragedy of a child dying young.
This would be appropriate as a patch on a pillow for a parent coping with the loss of a child.
4. “The journey doesn’t end here. Death is just another path, one that we all must take.” by J.R.R. Tolkien
This quote comes from Tolkien’s classic book “The Return of the King.” It can be comforting for mourners to hold onto the sentiment that death just takes us to another plane of existence.
It would be appropriate for people of many spiritual beliefs. It would also be great for someone who really appreciates “The Lord of the Rings” books or movie series.
5. “What we once enjoyed and deeply loved we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes part of us.” by Helen Keller
This quote is a great reminder that the people we love stay alive inside of our hearts. Even if they aren’t here with us, they continue to be a part of our lives whenever we think of them.
6. “The best portion of a good man’s life is his little nameless unremembered acts of kindness and love.” by William Wordsworth
This quote would be great to embroider onto a pillow in memory of someone renowned for charitable acts. It’s a lovely tribute for a person known to be kind and positive.
7. “Every life is noted and is cherished, and nothing loved is ever lost or perished.” by Madeleine L’Engle
This sweet rhyme is another great way to remind yourself that loved ones live on in our memories. Living the best life you can is a great way to pay tribute to those who are no longer with you.
Funny Sayings for a Memory Pillow
An important part of making a memory pillow is picking out a quote that pays tribute to the deceased. If your loved one liked to laugh or make other people laugh, you could find a humorous quote. Here are some favorites:
8. “Always go to other people’s funerals, otherwise they won’t come to yours.” by Yogi Berra
Yogi Berra was a famous baseball catcher who later transitioned to being a manager and coach. He never met a quote he couldn’t mangle.
This quote works for a baseball fan or someone who appreciated a silly turn of phrase.
9. “I am prepared to meet my maker. Whether my maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter.” by Winston Churchill
Winston Churchill was well-known for his sharp tongue and tart witticisms. This quote is great for someone who perhaps joked about looking forward to facing death.
10. “I’m always relieved when someone is delivering a eulogy and I realize that I’m listening to it.” by George Carlin
Carlin was the king of tackling taboo subjects. No subject was considered off-topic for the irreverent comedian. By jabbing at grim subjects like death, Carlin was able to make them seem a little less imposing.
11. “I intend to live forever or die trying.” by Groucho Marx
This is an excellent quote for a Marx Brothers fan or anyone who loved humor.
12. “When I die, I’m leaving my body to science fiction.” by Steven Wright
Surrealist comedian Wright is known for his one-liners. This quip works for a sci-fi fan or someone who’s just a fan of unexpected humor.
13. “What I look forward to is continued immaturity followed by death.” by Dave Barry
If your deceased loved one was a child at heart, this quote might be perfect for them. It’s a good fit for someone who prided himself on never growing up.
14. “I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions of years before I was born and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience.” by Mark Twain
This quote from the famous author is wry, but also uplifting. It reminds us that there is so much more to the universe beyond our understanding of life.
Inspirational or Heartfelt Sayings for a Memory Pillow
Funny quotes are great for some people but they don’t work for everyone. More heartfelt expressions of sentiment tend to be more widely appreciated. Here are some great inspirational quote options.
15. “We all die. The goal isn’t to live forever, the goal is to create something that will.” by Chuck Palahniuk
Palahniuk, who is best known for writing the anarchic novel “Fight Club,” captures the sentiment that everyone lives on through legacies left behind.
16. “It is not length of life, but depth of life.” by Emily Dickinson
Grief can be especially difficult to deal with if the person you are mourning died young. You may grieve for the experiences he or she missed out on. This quote can remind us that even a short life can be well-lived and filled with meaning.
17. “For life and death are one, even as the river and the sea are one.” by Kahlil Gibran
The distance between life and death can feel vast. If you believe that everyone is reunited in the afterlife, this can make that gulf seem easier to cross.
18. “No one is actually dead until the ripples they cause in the world die away.” by Terry Pratchett
The science fiction author is normally known for his worlds infused with offbeat humor. This sentiment though is uplifting and heartfelt.
19. "As a well-spent day brings happy sleep, so life well-used brings happy death.” by Leonardo da Vinci
If the deceased lived life to the fullest, this quote could prove comforting to loved ones.
20. “Neither fire nor wind, birth nor death can erase our good deeds.” by Buddha
This comforting quote can be uplifting for someone who is spiritual but not necessarily religious.
21. “Goodbyes are only for those who love with their eyes. Because for those who love with heart and soul there is no such thing as separation.” by Rumi
Rumi was an enlightened poet with many words of wisdom. Many of his quotes would be excellent on a memory pillow, but this one is especially touching.
Bring Warmth and Comfort
When a close friend or family member dies, the absence they leave behind is profound. You can no longer hold or hug them close but you can still have a tangible reminder of your loved one in the form of a memory pillow.
It’s the best kind of family heirloom because it brings a feeling of warmth and comfort. Take the time to pick out a meaningful fabric and quote and put a unique personal spin on a sweet memento.