Pets are more than just animal companions. Many pet owners consider their cats, dogs, birds, and other animals to be as much a part of the family as any other living being residing in their household. So when pets pass, it isn’t easy. And if a loved one’s pet dies, the best thing you can do is be there for them and acknowledge the death via email, text message, or with a card.
Jump ahead to these sections:
- Sympathy Messages for the Loss of a Dog
- Sympathy Messages for the Loss of a Cat
- Sympathy Messages for the Loss of a Bird
- Pet Sympathy Messages for Other Animals
It can be hard to find the right words to say when a pet dies. We’ve taken the guesswork out of it and provided you some sample messages to help you compose the perfect missive to the grieving pet lover in your life.
Everyone knows the saying that dogs are a man’s best friend. When someone’s dog dies, it’s like losing a family member and a best friend all rolled into one. If you know someone whose dog has recently passed away, these messages may help you express your sympathy.
- I was so sorry to hear that Bandit died. I’ll always treasure the times we had letting him and Roscoe play at the dog park. I’m thinking of you.
- I tell the dogs I walk that I don’t have favorites, but I always had a soft spot for Lucy. She was the sweetest, most lovable girl. I’ll really miss her.
- They say that dogs are man’s best friends, but after seeing you and Emma together, I believe they’re woman’s best friends as well. My sincerest sympathy for your loss.
- We were heartbroken to hear the news that Bailey died. The boys were always so happy to see you take him for walks outside the house. The neighborhood will be a sadder place without him.
- It’s always hard to lose a pet, especially when they’ve been in your life for such a long time. Maggie was lucky to have such a long, happy life with a fantastic owner.
- Sadie was always a joy to have here in the clinic, and everyone on the staff loved her. You did everything you could for her. Thank you for trusting us to help her go peacefully.
- We were devastated when your wife let us know that Sammy passed away over the weekend. Our daycare won’t be the same without him. He will be missed.
- I remember the beach trips we used to take with Elvis. I think if there’s a dog heaven, it’s one endless beach, and he’s waiting for you on the shore.
- I know what a special bond you and Scout had. I’m so sorry for your loss.
- Dogs are such pure and wholesome creatures. I have no doubt in my mind that Daisy loved you just as much as you love her.
While dogs have a reputation for being friendly, loyal, and happy-go-lucky, cats have a reputation for being aloof, moody, and cantankerous. \But even so, we can’t help but love these cranky critters and grieve for them in a very real way when they die.
- I saw on Facebook that Imogen had used the last of her nine lives. I’m so sorry for your loss, but I know she was so lucky to spend the end of her life with you.
- They say it’s better to euthanize a cat a few days too early than even a minute too late. You made the right choice for Clementine. She didn’t suffer.
- I remember that in college, Einstein hated every one of your boyfriends except one, and that’s the one you ended up getting married to. He was always a good judge of character.
- When you adopted Shadow, he was so timid he always wanted to be near you. Even as he grew more confident, he stayed by your side, I know his spirit will stay with you, too.
- People say cats aren’t good with kids, but Sully was always so sweet and gentle with my son. I’m really sorry for your loss.
- When you foster kittens, you try to prepare yourself that some may be too weak or sick to save. It never makes it easier to accept. You did everything you could for Misty.
- I’ve seen a lot of strange things in my life, but nothing has topped a cat on a leash at a frat party. Jack was truly a special little guy.
- There’s a saying that we don’t choose cats: cats choose us. I realized that was true when Bella magically turned up inside our locked apartment and never left again. I’ll miss her.
- It takes a special person to take in older, sick cats that would otherwise die in shelters. When you adopted Smokey, you gave her two amazing years even though you knew your time would be short. You were her hero.
- Even though Bongo only had three legs, he lived life faster and braver than any cat I’ve known. What he lacked in limbs, he made up for in heart.
Share your final wishes, just in case.
Create a free Cake end-of-life planning profile and instantly share your health, legal, funeral, and legacy decisions with a loved one.
Join Cake's monthly newsletter.
Learn all you need to know about end-of-life.
When people think about household pets, they usually think of cuddly, fuzzy cats and dogs. But a lot of people gravitate towards fine, feathered friends, too. Because of this, there are still times when you may have to craft a condolences card for a bird-loving friend.
- It was amazing of you to take care of your father’s cockatoo after your dad passed away. I know losing Charlie hurts because he was like a living connection to your dad. I’m so sorry for your loss.
- Sunny was such a great parrot. Her name was perfect for her because she always brightened my day when I came to visit. She will be missed.
- I never knew a bird and a human could have such a strong bond until I saw you and Mango together. I can’t imagine what you’re feeling right now. I’m here for you.
- Rio was such a lovely parrot, and I know you miss him greatly. I have made a donation to a parrot rescue center in his name.
- I was sorry to hear about Pippin passing away. I know he has been your companion for more than thirty years. I want you to know that I’m here for you while you grieve.
- Buddy the Budgie was such a sweet little guy. The kids always loved to come by and visit him. We are so sorry for your loss.
- Our family has always enjoyed coming to your bird sanctuary and seeing the work you do with these amazing creatures. We were very sorry to hear that the parrot Rosita passed away. She was a beautiful bird.
- Hyacinth was such a lovely macaw. I never realized how much work bird ownership could be. You did it wonderfully and provided her with a beautiful life.
- Seeing you walking around town with Paulie on your shoulder chattering away always brought me great joy. He will be missed. I’m keeping you in my heart.
- Shelly was such a funny little bird. I really enjoyed caring for her whenever you had to travel for work. I’m so sorry for your loss
There are plenty of other animals that people keep as pets. Rabbits, ferrets, sugar gliders, hamsters, mice, rats, guinea pigs, snakes, and lizards are just some of the domesticated animals. And while they may not seem as cuddly as cats and dogs, people still form a powerful bond with these animal friends. When one of these less common pets dies, it’s still a kind gesture to send a condolence card.
- I always knew rabbits were cute, but getting to spend time with Ella and Bob and pet them and watch them play made me really fall in love with them. I’m so sorry to hear about Ella’s passing
- I never knew what great pets ferrets were until I got to spend time with Frank. He was so silly and inquisitive and mischievous. I’ll miss his sweet little face.
- I was so sorry to hear that Finn the fish died. You did such a wonderful job setting up an amazing aquarium and taking care of him. I’m sorry for your loss.
- Hamilton the hamster was such a great classroom pet. Being able to bring him home with us for a weekend showed us what special creatures they are. We are sorry to hear of his passing.
- I never met a guinea pig until you introduced me to Priscilla. It took her a while to warm up to me, but earning her affection made me feel so special. I’ll really miss her.
- I was afraid a hedgehog named Sonic would be high-maintenance, but he was so mellow. Whenever I had insomnia, he’d be awake too. I feel like we had a special bond. It won’t be the same without him.
- I did a double-take when I moved into the neighborhood and saw you walking an iguana on a leash. Iggy was such a fun, chill guy. I’m sorry for your loss.
- I’m ashamed to admit I was afraid of snakes until I met Monty, the ball python. He was amazingly sweet and snuggly. I’ll miss him a lot, just like I know you do.
- I had never heard of sugar gliders until I came to your house. Gracie was so sweet and silly and affectionate. I really loved coming to visit her.
- I never knew a pet goat until I met Billy. He had such an amazing personality. He was always getting into trouble, but you couldn’t help but love him.
Finding the Right Words to Say When a Pet Dies
Whether someone has a traditional pet like a cat or dog or a more unconventional pet like a sugar glider or a hedgehog, they will acutely feel the loss of their beloved companion. Taking the time to remember the specific things that you loved about their pet and share it with them, write a card, or send a pet sympathy gift. It’s a great kindness in a difficult time.