Prayer may help you get through life’s most difficult times. One of the hardest things for people to experience is aging itself or watching loved ones age.
Jump ahead to these sections:
- Prayers for Aging Parents
- Prayers for the Those in a Nursing Home
- Prayers for an Aging Adult’s Caregiver
Fortunately, you can say a prayer for aging adults that may ease the challenges that come with the natural aging process, no matter your religious affiliation. Here are some you can use.
Prayers for Aging Parents
Watching your parents age can be especially difficult. We’ve gathered up a few prayers that focus on aging.
1. “My Lord! Bestow on them your mercy as they did bring me up when I was small.” [Islam]
This short prayer is an excellent way to express a prayer for healing or mercy for aging parents. After all, you could only wish the same level of care you received from your parents when you were young. It’s a truly touching sentiment.
2. “May all beings find peace.” [Buddhism]
This is the most basic Buddhism prayer, though it can certainly pertain to aging parents who may be facing physical and emotional aging concerns.
3. ”Be to me a rock of refuge, to which I may continually come; you have given the command to save me, for you are my rock and my fortress.” [Christian]
This particular prayer is said for parents who may be entering the last portion of their lives with any uncertainty or unsettled feelings. This prayer focuses on allowing Christ to be your parents’ refuge during a challenging time.
4. ”Merciful one, may you bless my father, my teacher; and my mother, my teacher, who have made a home for me. May we all be blessed as you blessed my grandparents and great-grandparents in every possible way. That is how we wished to be blessed, everyone together, a complete blessing. Amen.” [Jewish]
This prayer is a simple way to express thanks and ask for your loved ones to have a bit more hope, mercy, and protection throughout their days.
5. “A gray head is a crown of glory. It is found in the way of righteousness.” [Christian]
A prayer like this is an expressive way to pay tribute to parents and their vast wisdom that they have extended to their children throughout their lives.
6. “The king of love my shepherd is.” [Christian]
This prayer explains how the love of God has always remained constant throughout our lives. We may age but God remains giving and consistent from one season of life to the next.
7. ”But I will hope continually and will praise you yet more and more. My mouth will tell of your righteous acts, of your deeds of salvation all the day, for their number is past my knowledge.” [Christian]
A prayer that asks that your parents find salvation in Jesus may be one of the most beautiful prayers of all. This prayer asks that parents still continue to follow the teachings of God throughout the duration of their life.
8. ”Blessing and Healing Chant” [Buddhism]
This chant, or prayer, is a way to ask for prosperity, health, peace, and happiness during the aging process. It is a very nature-driven prayer that connects the person to their natural surroundings.
9. ”Universal Love Aspiration” [Buddhism]
No matter our age, one thing that we all want is to be loved and accepted. This is a beautiful way to honor your aging parents by asking that they receive an abundance of love.
10. “O God, from my youth you have taught me, and I still proclaim your wondrous deeds. So even to old age and gray hairs, O God, do not forsake me, until I proclaim your might to another generation, your power to all those to come.” [Christian]
This brief prayer asks God to not forsake your parents as they age. It is a plea that your parents remain holy and present in the teachings of God throughout their lives so that they may also spread the word to others.
Prayers for Those in a Nursing Home
Older people who live in nursing homes or assisted living facilities may experience very specific challenges. Handling this part of life may require a few additional prayers. Here are a few that may help.
11. “In the Hands of God” [Christian]
This prayer expresses how in older age, we may come to terms with how much is truly dependent on God’s will. It’s a spiritual prayer that connects someone to the root of their religious beliefs. It is certainly appropriate for anyone who is aging.
12. “17th Century Nun’s Prayer” [Catholic]
This prayer focuses on asking God to transition into aging with humbleness, humility, and grace. This prayer asks that instead of focusing on solving problems, that we instead learn to love, listen, and accept.
13. ”Do not cast me off in old age, do not forsake me when my strength fails.” [Christian]
This prayer asks that the older adults not be forgotten when they get older and do not have the same physical abilities that they once did.
14. “A Closer Walk with God” [Christian]
No matter what stage of life you are in, this simple prayer can always be said as a way to get closer to God and his teachings.
15.”Prayer for the Grace to Age Well” [Christian]
People who live in a nursing home may feel the impact of aging both physically and mentally, but this prayer may offer some hope that God can give some mercy in this process.
16. ”An Aging Woman Prayer” [Christian]
This prayer is about slowing down and enjoying life more as you age. It’s a prayer to find peace in your life and learn that aging is not the enemy — it’s an opportunity to spread wisdom and religious teachings.
17. ”As Our Souls Move” [Christian]
This thoughtful prayer asks for God’s guidance through the various seasons of life. It’s more about embracing changes rather than trying to avoid them. It’s a prayer about acceptance, but also for wisdom to grow in faith.
18. ”A Prayer About Growing Old” [Christian]
This prayer focuses on avoiding the negativity that may come with aging, such as regret and fear. Instead, focus on how it’s possible to change the world for the better.
19. “A Prayer to Grow Gracefully, Fruitfully, and Strong” [Christian]
Just as the title suggests, this prayer is all about extending the hope that the aging adults remain well. There’s so much about aging that we can’t control, but our attitude and spirit is one thing we can.
Prayers for an Aging Adult's Caregiver
As you pray for the aging people in your life, you may want to pray for those who help your older loved ones each and every day. Caregiving is not an easy task, and it’s important to remember these people in your prayers to help them find peace, comfort, and appreciation.
20. “Healing Presence” [Jewish]
This Jewish prayer is said for dementia patients and their caregivers. It’s a call for patience and wisdom for those who care for people with this debilitating disease.
21. ”A Caregiver’s Prayer” [Christian]
This prayer is perfect for caregivers. These people need a little more support to get through difficult tasks that all caregivers must face.
22. “Caregiver Warrior Prayer” [Christian]
It’s not easy being a caregiver. This prayer is said on behalf of someone who needs peace, a calming nature, and plenty of understanding as they manage the day-to-day needs of an aging person.
23.”A Prayer for the Caregiver” [Christian]
So often, you may not realize how much caregivers do for those that they support. This prayer is a special prayer for those who face the unique challenges of caregiving and asking that they find moments of peace.
Prayers Through the Seasons
Getting older can pose many challenges. However, the power of prayer can certainly help see people through even the darkest days. You’ll likely find a prayer that will help senior citizens through aging.