A person doesn’t have to live very long to realize that there are no guarantees in life. Even though it doesn’t seem fair, some people die young.
Jump ahead to these sections:
- Quotes About Friends Dying Too Young
- Quotes About Family Members Dying Too Young
- Religious Quotes About Dying Too Young
- Inspirational Quotes About Dying Too Young
Perhaps you have a friend or family member who died young. Certain quotes about dying too young may give you solace. You may also want to use them for the eulogy of a friend who dies unexpectedly.
Quotes About Friends Dying Too Young
Poets and philosophers probably write about death more than any other subject. Read through quotes about death — specifically about dying at a young age — that may help you with the loss of your friend.
1. “It matters not how a man dies, but how he lives.” — Samuel Johnson
Even if your loved one died a tragic death at a young age, he might have enjoyed a life well-lived. Samuel Johnson was an English scholar and wrote a dictionary in the mid-1700s that was the preeminent source for the time.
2. “The value of life lies not in the length of days, but in the use we make of them; a man may live long yet live very little.” — Michel de Montaigne
We hope that this quote by a well-known philosopher will give you comfort as you think about a life cut short.
3. “If you bemoan your brief stay on earth, consider the mayfly which lives only for one day. If the weather were bad that day your whole life could be rained out.” — Wes “Scoop” Nisker
Most quotes about death don’t take an optimistic view. Your friend may have appreciated this nugget of truth about the mayfly but you might not want to share this with a grieving family member of the deceased.
4. “The good die young.” — Unknown
We could credit this quote to Billy Joel, but the idea of only the good dying young was not original to the piano man. You can also share this sentiment in various ways.
5. “‘Dad, why do all the best people die?’ ‘My son, while you are in a garden, which flowers do you pick? The most beautiful ones.’” — Unknown
This quote may give peace to some readers.
6. “It ain’t fair you died too young. Like a story that had just begun. The death tore the pages all away.” — Kenny Chesney
This quote came from the lyrics of “Who You’d Be Today,” a song by country music singer Kenny Chesney.
Quotes About Family Members Dying Too Young
Everything changes when a member of your family dies too young. Whether you lose a child, a sibling, or a parent still in their prime, ponder these words of wisdom.
You may also be interested in reading famous poems about death and dying.
7. “Grieve not that I die young. Is it not well to pass away ere life hath lost its brightness?” — Lady Flora Hastings
Lady Flora Hastings’ death at a young age caused quite the scandal for young Queen Victoria of England. Hastings’ poetry published posthumously and is where we found this nugget of truth.
8. “I guess that’s one good thing about dying young: you’re remembered for your purity, vigor and spontaneity. Dying young you’re remembered for your youth.” — Ryan Smithson
It’s hard to find the bright side of someone dying young. Ryan Smithson makes that attempt with this quote.
9. “Some are bound to die young, By dying young a person stays young in people’s memory. If he burns brightly before he dies, his brightness shines for all time.” — Unknown
This unattributed quote is similar in thought to the previous one. Take comfort in ideas like this.
10. “Do not weep for those who have found Death’s embrace early, for they weep for us that linger on in this mortal world of pain.” — Stewart Stafford
Stewart Stafford’s quote about dying young gives a rather negative view of life. While you may feel comforted that your loved one missed out on painful parts of life, those who die young miss out on the good as well.
11. “There is no fair in life and death. If it were, no good men would die young.” — Mitch Albom
Mitch Albom wrote “Tuesdays With Morrie,” a nonfiction account of his last discussions with a beloved dying professor.
12. “He (Martin Luther King, Jr.) always used to say you have no choice about being born or dying. The only thing you have a choice about is what you die for.” — Andrew Young
Martin Luther King, Jr. was only 39 when he died. Andrew Young was a friend and confidant of King’s.
Religious Quotes About Dying Too Young
The Bible doesn’t have much to say about people dying young, but it includes many thoughts about death in general. Here are some of the messages of the Bible regarding the comfort those who are grieving will receive and the promise of the afterlife. You may want to visit some of these passages if you recently lost a friend or family member unexpectedly.
13. “If we live, we live for the Lord; and if we die, we die for the Lord. So, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord. For this very reason, Christ died and returned to life so that he might be the Lord of both the dead and the living.” — Romans 14:8-9
Paul wrote the Book of Romans.
14. “Weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning.” — Psalms 30:5
Several spiritual songs refer to this quote from the Book of Psalms.
15. “The righteous man perishes, and no one lays it to heart; devout men are taken away, while no one understands. For the righteous man is taken away from calamity; he enters into peace; they rest in their beds who walk in their uprightness.” — Isaiah 57: 1-2
This verse may give family members a sense of peace regarding their loved one’s death.
16. “Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.” — Psalm 23:4
The 23rd Psalm often gets shared with those who are not long for the world.
17. “Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life.” — John 5:24
These were some of Jesus’ words about eternal life.
18. “He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.” — Revelation 21:4
The book of Revelation includes John’s vision of things to come.
Inspirational Quotes About Dying Too Young
It’s challenging to find positive quotes about dying young because a youthful death always feels unfair.
19. “Wish not so much to live long as to live well.” — Benjamin Franklin
Leave it to Benjamin Franklin to find the exact right words for a difficult situation.
20. “Measure life by its breadth, not length.” — Unknown
Some people seem to grab all there is out of life, while others feel content to watch it go by.
21. “What’s important is not the years in your life but the life in your years.” — Unknown
Instead of focusing on the age of the person who died, why not consider what that person did with the years he or she had?
22. “My only fear is that I may live too long.” — Thomas Jefferson
Although we don’t know the surrounding statements on either side of this quote, we can guess that Thomas Jefferson didn’t want ever to seem irrelevant.
23. “We all die. The goal isn’t to live forever, the goal is to create something that will.” — Chuck Palahniuk
Chuck Palahniuk is the author of “Fight Club.” As you age, you may think about the legacy you will leave behind.
24. “To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.” — J.K. Rowling
J.K. Rowling wrote the “Harry Potter” series. Professor Dumbledore said this to Harry in “The Sorcerer’s Stone.”
Sometimes Words Don’t Say Enough
You may try to find a quote to use in a sympathy card for a friend who lost a loved one who was young. While you could use it for that purpose, you may feel that no words can help this situation.
It’s okay that you don’t know what to say. Show your friend that you care by being present, attending the funeral, offering hugs, and checking in after the death of your friend's loved one.