Grandparents are often among the most important relationships you ever have in your life. Not only can they play a role in raising their grandchildren, but they offer a level of love and support that you simply can’t get elsewhere.
Jump ahead to these sections:
If you’ve been struggling to find the right words to express what your grandparents mean to you, don’t worry. Here are a few moving quotes that explain the love and care your grandparents have given you.
They can help you express how important your grandparents are to you. Why not take a moment to acknowledge everything they’ve done for you?
Quotes About Grandparents’ Love for One Another
The love that exists between your grandparents is likely something that you don’t see every day. Here are a few quotes that can help you express your respect for their relationship.
1. ”The greatest love story is not Romeo and Juliet who die together, but Grandma and Grandpa who grew old together.” —Unknown
So often we compare our stories to those of iconic love stories from the ages. But perhaps the most beautiful love stories are those that are a little closer to home. The love between grandparents is something to celebrate.
2. ”This morning, with her, having coffee.” —Johnny Cash, Singer/Songwriter
This is the response that Johnny Cash gave when someone asked him his definition of paradise. He is referring to his wife, June Carter Cash, and their morning ritual.
It’s such a simple idea, but for many people, it's the simple things that are the best. Ask your grandparents what their idea of paradise is. You might get a very similar answer.
3. ”The course of true love never did run smooth.” —William Shakespeare, Writer
When you look at the history of the love your grandparents share, it is likely full of ups and downs. This is a testament to their ability to work through difficulty and keep their relationship intact.
4. ”The best thing to hold onto in this life is each other.” —Audry Hepburn, Actress
This quote is simple yet very profound. If you think about it, your grandparent’s marriage is a reminder of this advice. You must hold onto each other no matter what else is going on.
5. ”Love is composed of a single soul inhabiting two bodies.” —Aristotle, Philosopher
This beautiful quote is something that many people see in long-lasting relationships. You might have witnessed it in the moments you’ve seen between your grandmother and grandfather.
6.”If you find someone you love in your life then hang onto that love.” —Princess Diana
This wise statement from Princess Diana is likely something you could hear coming from the mouths of your grandparents. They’ve spent a lifetime hanging on to each other’s love.
7. “Love recognizes no barriers. It jumps hurdles, leaps fences, penetrates walls to arrive at its destination full of hope.” —Maya Angelou, Author
Maya Angelou said it best when she described what love truly is. This statement describes a timeless connection that could perfectly describe the love between your grandparents.
8. “The best and most beautiful things in this world cannot be seen or even heard, but must be felt with the heart.” —Helen Keller, Author
While you may not be able to fully describe your grandparent’s love for one another, you likely feel it all the time.
9. “The love we give away is the only love we keep.” —Elbert Hubbard, Writer
The love between your grandparents exists because they give it freely to each other. This is an excellent sentiment if trying to describe the love between these two important people in your life.
10. “Love is not only something you feel, it is something you do.” —David Wilkerson, Christian Evangelist
If you were to ask why your grandparent’s marriage works so well, you only have to look at all the things they do for one another. Sometimes love is best communicated by doing things, rather than saying things.
Quotes About Grandpa
There’s nobody in the world quite like a grandpa. And nobody quite like your grandpa. It’s hard to express just how much this relationship can mean to someone, but these quotes certainly try to do just that.
11. “Grandpa has ears that truly listen, arms that always hold, love that’s never ending and a heart that’s made of gold.” —Unknown
This is the type of message that you could say during a eulogy or even put into a card for your grandfather. Share it with him to let him know how much he has helped you. It’s such a true representation of what a grandfather should be!
12. “More and more, when I single out the person who inspired me most, I go back to my grandfather.” —James Earl Jones, Actor
Grandfathers are known to be incredibly inspirational to their grandchildren. It’s not surprising that James Earl Jones feels that way about his grandpa. Think of a time that your grandfather inspired you, and tell him about it!
13. ”Grandfathers are for loving, catching fish, and fixing things.” —Unknown
Indeed, grandfathers always seem to have a knack for these things. This simple, and for many people perfect, description is likely to be suitable for many grandfathers out there.
14. “A grandfather makes us laugh, makes us feel safe, and always makes us feel loved.” —Kate Summers, Actress
If you ever needed a simple definition of what a grandpa is-- here you go! This is such a true statement for so many who knew their grandfathers.
15. “Grandfathers are magicians who create wonderful memories for their grandchildren.” —Unknown
Isn’t this a lovely way of thinking about grandfathers? Some of the best memories for children are created with their grandfather. It doesn’t even have to be big gestures or events. Small or simple things done together can create the best memories.
16. “My grandfather was smart and had a whole lot of pride. He didn’t speak a terrible amount, but you could tell there was a ton on his mind - like a quiet acceptance of how life had turned out.” —Frank Ocean, Singer/Songwriter
This beautiful memory of a grandfather certainly pulls on the heartstrings. Think about your memories with your grandfather. You likely learned a lot from him.
17. “My grandfather was a wonderful role model. Through him I got to know the gentle side of men.” —Sarah Long, Actress
Grandfathers can show us how to treat others. Often, it is through this relationship that we learn patience, kindness, and how to care for others. It truly is a precious thing to know and love your grandpa.
18. “Grandpas are the wise old ones that are cuddly as a bear, who always have a neat new trick and story yet to share.” —Katherine E. Harmon, Author
Grandpas always seem to have the best attributes. Sometimes they seem gruff or grumpy, but grandkids know the truth! They are funny and full of stories that teach us valuable lessons.
19. “Love is the greatest gift that one generation can leave another.” —Richard Garnett, Writer
What more could we ask for from our grandparents than to be completely showered in their love? We may not always recognize just how much their love shaped our lives. But most of us realize it when we look back on the memories and times we spent together. Take a moment to think back on those things now. Likely you’ll quickly think of several special times.
20. “Grandpa, your guiding hand will be on my shoulder forever.” —Unknown
Our grandpas don’t get to live forever, but their guidance can influence those who knew them for years.
This is a beautiful quote that may be spoken during a eulogy or even as a “happy birthday in heaven” remembrance speech. It’s important to acknowledge the role your grandpa has in your life.
Quotes About Grandma
Do you have a grandma that means the world to you? Here are a few quotes to explain how you feel about her and that special bond that you share.
21. “Grandmothers always have time to talk and make you feel special.” —Catherine Pulsifer, Author
One of the most precious things about a grandmother is that she always seems to have time for those she loves.
You don’t even have to have plans, she is happy to spend time together doing nothing. The special bond between grandmother and grandchild is undeniable. This quote encompasses that feeling.
22. ”We should all have that person who knows how to bless us despite the evidence. Grandmother was that person to me.” —Phyllis Theroux, Author
It’s true that grandmothers always seem to see the best in us. As Theroux points out, grandmothers are often the people who help us see our strengths. And they can help us turn our weaknesses into strengths. Everybody needs a person like this in their corner.
23. ”A grandmother is a little bit parent, a little bit teacher, and a little bit best friend.” —Unknown
If ever you needed the perfect way to describe a grandmother, then this would be it. A grandmother is the amalgamation of so many important roles. After all, she is often the person you learn the most from. Not just during your childhood, but throughout your life.
24. ”A grandma is warm hugs and sweet memories. She remembers all of your accomplishments and forgets all of your mistakes.” —Barbara Cage, Australian gymnast
A grandmother always cheers on her grandchildren. And she lets go of the times that you weren’t at your best. As Cages so eloquently puts it, grandmas are “warm hugs and sweet memories.”
25. ”There is no place like home--except grandma’s.” —Unknown
If you had the joy of knowing your grandma, then you already know how true this statement is. No place feels quite like home in the way your grandma’s house does. In many ways, her house is a second home. It’s like a home away from home.
26. ”Parent-child relationships are complex. Grandmother-grandchild relationships are simple. Grandmas are short on criticism and long on love.” —Janet Lanese, Writer
One of the simplest bonds you’ll ever have is the one you have with your grandmother. She gives freely and always keeps an open heart.
It’s a truly beautiful relationship that teaches people about love and acceptance.
27. ”Grandmas never run out of hugs or cookies.” —Unknown
Have you ever read a truer statement? Grandmas always seem to be an endless well of love and support. And they almost always have some sweet treats!
This quote is a simple way to sum up what a grandmother’s love looks like.
28. “There are grandmothers out there who would move heaven and earth for their grandchildren.” —Janice Elliot-Howard, Author
A grandmother’s love indeed seems to have no limits when it comes to her grandchildren. Consider the relationship with your grandma. You’ve likely had an experience where she had your back no matter what.
29. “Grandma always made you feel she had been waiting to talk to just you all day, and now the day was complete.” —Marcy DeMaree, Writer
Grandmothers have a way of making you feel like the most important person on earth. This quote is a wonderful reminder of how our grandmother is always there for us.
30. “A grandmother is a remarkable woman. She’s a wonderful combination of warmth and kindness, laughter and love.” —Unknown
What a beautiful tribute to grandma! Nothing summarizes what a grandmother encompasses more than this simple quote.
A grandmother is always bursting with love. And she is someone to turn to when life gets a little hectic.
Grandparents are among the most special people we will ever have the privilege of knowing. If you are searching for the right words to say to them, use these quotes to guide you in the right direction. After all, your time with them is limited. Make sure they know how much they mean to you.
Looking for more ways to honor your grandparents? Read our guide on National Grandparents Day for some ideas.