Those of us who are lucky enough to have loving grandparents know it can be nearly impossible to truly describe the important role a grandparent can play in a child’s (or adult’s) life. Grandparents offer an unmatched combination of profound wisdom and playful fun.
However, just because it’s very difficult to describe the love of a grandparent, that doesn’t mean no one’s tried! The following quotes about grandparents prove that.
Jump ahead to these sections:
- Quotes About Your Grandparents’ Love for Each Other
- Quotes About Your Grandparents’ Love for Their Grandchildren or Children
- Quotes About Great Grandparents
- Quotes About Grandparents Passing Away
- Religious or Biblical Quotes About Grandparents
Maybe you’re sending a card to a grandparent for their birthday or National Grandparents Day and want to include a quote that expresses how you feel, but you’re struggling to come up with the right words yourself. Or, perhaps you’re seeking comfort after the loss of a grandparent. Either way, these are all quotes worth keeping in mind.
Quotes About Your Grandparents’ Love for Each Other
The love grandparents have for each other can teach us a lot about how to keep a relationship strong over the course of a lifetime. Famous quotes about grandparents’ love for each other include:
1. “She didn't know where she was / It's like her mind just quit / Oh, but bring up Grandpa, it's like someone flipped a switch” - Rascal Flatts
These lines from the Rascal Flatts song “Ellsworth” describe how sometimes the love between two grandparents can be so strong that even when a grandparent starts to lose their memory, they can still clearly remember the joyful days of their courtship and marriage.
2. “The love we have in our youth is superficial compared to the love an old man has for his old wife.” - Will Durant
This quote may not specifically mention grandparents, but it does touch on a lesson that some learn when observing how their grandparents remain in love. Often, a love that has lasted for decades may not seem as dynamic or romantic as youthful love, but that’s only because it’s stronger, not weaker.
3. “The young person isn’t certain that love can be real; the middle-aged man is only discovering that it is; and the older person seems so sure of it.” - Conor McPherson
Although this quote also doesn’t necessarily refer to grandparents, it certainly can. Sometimes, young people who have doubts about the possibility of true love existing take comfort from seeing how their grandparents have remained in love for nearly an entire lifetime. Knowing a marriage can remain strong for so many years offers hope.
Quotes About Your Grandparents’ Love for Their Grandchildren or Children
When a grandparent loves a grandchild, they don’t merely love them—they adore them. These quotes sum up that love beautifully.
4. “To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word ‘boo.’” - Robert Brault
Many of the best grandparents strike a unique balance. They can convey the wisdom and strength of old age to their grandchildren, while also knowing precisely when to let their guard down (even if they’re only pretending to).
5. “No cowboy was ever faster on the draw than a grandparent pulling a baby picture out of a wallet.” - Unknown
We may not know who first spoke these words, but we do know they describe an experience nearly anyone with a loving grandparent can relate to.
6. “A child needs a grandparent, anybody’s grandparent, to grow a little more securely into an unfamiliar world.” - Charles and Ann Morse
As this quote points out, an older person doesn’t necessarily need to be an actual relative of a child to offer the love and guidance of a grandparent. Highlighting such quotes is important, as some young people feel they may be missing out on one of life’s most joyful experiences if they don’t have any living grandparents. They may need someone to remind them that another person can potentially fill this critical role.
7. “Grandparents can be very special resources. Just being close to them reassures a child, without words, about change and continuity, about what went before and what will come after.” - Fred Rogers
Was there ever a time when Mr. Rogers wasn’t full of wisdom? Consider this quote, which points out that grandparents aren’t just loving figures. They can also provide their grandchildren with insights into the nature of life and their current place in the world.
8. “Nobody can do for little children what grandparents do. Grandparents sort of sprinkle stardust over the lives of little children.” - Alex Haley
This quote about grandparents from author Alex Haley expresses how grandparents can offer grandchildren seemingly magical experiences in a way no others can. For example, because grandparents often don’t need to be disciplinarians in the same way that parents might, the memories grandchildren have of them may be exclusively positive and special.
Quotes About Great Grandparents
Grandparents aren’t the only ones who may have an indescribable impact on a family. As these quotes highlight, great-grandparents also have an important role to play.
9. “Because my great-grandparents were enslaved people, the legacy of slavery was something that didn’t seem impersonal or disconnected. That’s what motivated me to get into law.” - Bryan Stevenson
Many find that great-grandparents serve as a bridge between their current life and their roots. This quote offers just one example of how this quality of a great-grandparent can influence how someone chooses to live their life.
10. “The old are the precious gem in the center of the household.” - Chinese Proverb
This proverb may not directly mention great-grandparents, but because many families in traditional Chinese cultures have historically treated great-grandparents with the utmost reverence, it can serve as a tribute to great-grandparents. These words remind us to cherish great-grandparents instead of overlooking them.
Quotes About Grandparents Passing Away
Quotes about grandparents passing away can serve many purposes. They can comfort us when we’re in mourning, serve as ideal messages to include in “Happy Birthday in Heaven” speeches or cards, or simply remind us to cherish our grandparents now. Powerful quotes on this topic include:
11. “Grandmas hold our tiny hands for just a little while, but our hearts forever.” - Unknown
This anonymous tribute to grandma reminds us that, although we may not be able to keep our grandmothers beside us all our lives, our love for them never has to end.
12. “[My grandmother] died last week, and she was the one that sat me down at the piano when I was three and made me play. So, I’m accepting this in her honor.” - Elton John
Elton John spoke these words when accepting an Academy Award for his work on The Lion King. While the quote may be in some ways less universal than some of the others here, as it references John’s unique personal relationship with his grandmother, it earns a spot on this list because it reminds us that grandparents can legitimately shape the entire course of our lives. That’s something we may wish to reflect on with gratitude after a grandparent’s passing.
13. “I lost my grandmother last night after a long week of sleepless hospital nights and many, many tears shed … Death is a ruthless force that threatens to tear your heart apart, but must be dealt with for what it is — only one moment that cannot overshadow a long, fulfilled lifetime of love, laughter, family, and memories.” - Abigail Rose
Losing a beloved grandparent can naturally be a very painful experience. However, these words of wisdom from Abigail Rose point out that the grief we feel after a grandparent’s passing shouldn’t outweigh the joy we experienced because they were in our lives.
14. “I still loved Granny. It flowed out of my chest. With Granny gone, where would my love go?” by Jessica Maria Tuccelli
This is a unique quote for this list. At first, it doesn’t seem to offer the same comfort that other quotes here do. However, it serves an important role: acknowledging the pain and confusion a grandchild might feel after a grandparent’s death.
This is a very challenging experience that many must learn to navigate in life. Knowing that others have overcome it can help someone in the same situation find a sense of hope.
Religious or Biblical Quotes About Grandparents
Many religious faiths emphasize the significant role grandparents may play in a family. These quotes exemplify this truth.
15. “Children’s children are a crown to the aged” from the Bible
This half of Proverbs 17:6 simply but elegantly sums up how grandparents may see their grandchildren as one of life’s ultimate gifts, as well as a reflection of a life well-lived.
16. “Make them known to your children and to your children's children!” from the Talmud
This version of a quote from the Talmud highlights how, in the Jewish faith, grandparents are meant to directly assist in teaching children how to live in accordance with Jewish beliefs. Many grandchildren in religious families thoroughly understand that grandparents sometimes take this responsibility very seriously, providing their grandchildren with wisdom and spiritual guidance.
17. “Grandparents are a treasure in the family. Please, take care of your grandparents: Love them and let them talk to your children!” by Pope Francis
Catholics may hear this quote from Pope Francis as a reminder that allowing grandparents to directly involve themselves in the lives of grandchildren is just one way they can practice their faith.
Quotes About Grandparents: Celebrating a Special Relationship
Finding the right words to express the love of a grandparent isn’t easy. That said, these quotes prove that a grandparent’s love is so deep that people from all walks of life and eras have at least tried to find those words.