Has life thrown you a curveball that you didn’t expect? Sometimes good comes out of a dramatic situation, but other times, a life event can end up tragic in nature such as with an accident or a terminal illness.
We put together some quotes about getting ready for the unexpected. Learn more about how others cope when faced with an unpredictable life event.
Jump ahead to these sections:
- Inspirational Quotes About the Unexpected
- Funny Quotes About the Unexpected
- Religious Quotes About the Unexpected
- Quotes About Accepted Unexpected Illness, Loss, or Tragedy
Inspirational Quotes About the Unexpected
You may prefer an orderly, planned life and hate surprises, but sometimes good things can come from unexpected events.
Read through some quotes that will help you see the good that may come from a bad situation.
1. “Should you shield the canyons from the windstorms, you would never see the beauty of their carvings.” — Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
An unexpected, challenging situation may result in something beautiful, although it may be hard to see it at the time.
2. “To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable.” — Helen Keller
Helen Keller knew something about facing life’s challenges. Thankfully, she spoke freely about her life so that we could all learn from her.
3. “If matters go badly now, they will not always do so.” — Horace
Unexpected events don’t always turn negative. Even if life gets you down now, the sun will come out tomorrow.
4. “This, too, shall pass.” — Unknown
You thought that your mom originated this quote, didn’t you? It’s unclear who can take credit for this quote, but doesn’t it make sense that it was a mom trying to reassure her child?
5. “If you can’t change your fate, change your attitude.” — Amy Tan
Amy Tan, the acclaimed author of “The Joy Luck Club,” says you have no control over the unexpected events of your life but you can control how you react to them.
6. “I have always grown from my problems and challenges, from things that didn’t work out; that’s when I’ve really learned.” — Carol Burnett
You may find it challenging to view an unexpected event in a positive light, but Carol Burnett reminds us that we can learn a lot from life’s significant challenges. Carol Burnett, an American comedic genius, had her own skit/variety show in the 1960s and 1970s.
7. “The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.” — Martin Luther King, Jr.
Martin Luther King, Jr. died when he was 39.
Funny Quotes About the Unexpected
Do you like questions that make you think? Check out some quotes about the unexpected parts of life.
8. “Perhaps one day, this too will be pleasant to remember.” — Virgil
Virgil was a Roman poet who wrote “The Aeneid.”
9. “The ‘crisis’ of yesterday is the joke of tomorrow.” — H.G. Wells
Is it “too soon” to laugh about your unexpected life event?
10. “We become so overwhelmed by illness, death and grief that we forget that humor, like the moon, can bring light to our darkest times.” — Allen Klein
Allen Klein was a businessman who worked in music and film.
11. “Keep on keepin’ on.” — Unknown
What other option do you have?
12. “It’s always something.” — Gilda Radner
Radner was right. You may feel like you are fighting off one problem after another, whether it is a sick kid or a leaking roof. And the laundry never goes away.
13. “There’s nothing permanent except change.” — Heraclitus
The idea of an “unexpected life event” should be relabeled as “life.”
14. “Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.”— Elbert Hubbard
We all have the same future. Eventually, we will all “join the majority.”
Religious Quotes About the Unexpected
Your faith may be a comfort during unsettling times. Learn some comforting quotes about unexpected events in life.
15. “Even in the deepest sinking, there is a hidden purpose of an ultimate rising. Thus it is for all men; from none is the source of light withheld unless he himself withdraws from it. Therefore the most important thing is not to despair.” — Hasidic saying
We know that saying “do not despair” sounds too simple, but try to view the unexpected event through the filter of a hidden purpose.
16. “Weeping may endure for a night but joy cometh in the morning.” — Psalm 30:5
This often-quoted verse from the Bible may give you comfort as you face your unexpected event.
17. “This is the day which the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it.” — Psalm 118:24
Consider posting this verse on your bathroom mirror as a reminder that each day is a gift from God.
18. “You do not know what tomorrow will bring. What is your life? For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes.” — James 4:14
Our problems seem big as we experience them, but our lives end in a flash. Be present and mindful in each moment.
19. “I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my loving eye on you.” — Psalm 32:8
The book of Psalms offers lots of good quote opportunities.
20. “Be still, and know that I am God.” — Psalm 46:10
When an unexpected event occurs, stay still.
21. “Trust in the Lord with all your heart. Never rely on what you think you know. Remember the Lord in everything you do and he will show you the right way. Never let yourself think that you are wiser than you are; simply obey the Lord and refuse to do wrong.” — Proverbs 3:5-7
Did an unexpected event cause you to make a tough decision? Remember the Lord and he will show you the right way.
Quotes About Accepted Unexpected Illness, Loss, or Tragedy
Sometimes unexpected events may hurt your wallet or simply annoy you. Other times, unexpected events may hurt your heart. Read through these quotes about illness, unexpected death, or tragedy.
22. “All I have, I would have given gladly not to be standing here today.” — Lyndon B. Johnson
President Johnson was speaking about his swearing-in following the assassination of President Kennedy.
23. “The bitterest tears shed over graves are for words left unsaid and deeds left undone.” — Harriet Beecher Stowe
If you unexpectedly lose a loved one, you may grieve over words left unsaid and deeds left undone.
24. “Though nothing can bring back the hour of splendour in the grass, of glory in the flower; we will grieve not, rather find strength in what remains behind.” — William Wordsworth
William Wordsworth was a British romantic poet. One of his most famous works was “I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud.”
25. “You will learn more from 10 days of agony than from 10 years of content.” — Sally Jessy Raphael
This quote may not make you feel better about the pain you feel right now, but you can always find a silver lining in the horrible circumstances you experience.
26. “So often we try to alter circumstances to suit ourselves instead of letting them alter us, which is what they are meant to do.” — Mother Maribel
You may not be able to fix your problems, but you should learn from them.
27. “Grief is like the ocean; it comes in waves, ebbing and flowing. Sometimes the water is calm, and sometimes it is overwhelming. All we can do is learn to swim.” — Vicki Harrison
Perhaps this quote reminds you of a little cartoon fish that said, “Just keep swimming.’” Sometimes that’s all you can do.
28. “You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.” — Unknown
You may not have to overcome a tragic situation all at once. Instead, it may present itself in bite-sized pieces that you can swallow more easily.
Let Cake Help
Cake offers plenty of resources to help you through the unexpected death of a family member. We will guide you in every step of the funeral planning process. You can learn about how to choose between burial or cremation. You can find the best places to buy a casket or a cremation urn. Cake will even help you pick the music for the visitation, readings for the funeral, and can help you out with quotes about death and grief.
Besides using our online resources, seek the help of your friends and family members. They want to help but they may need specific instructions on what they can do.
You can feel untethered when life hands you unexpected challenges, but remember these words of wisdom: “Keep on keepin’ on!”