Are you an upbeat, positive-minded person? If so, let’s cover some encouraging quotes you can share with a recovering friend or family member. Help your friend improve faster by inspiring with one of these nuggets of wisdom.
Jump ahead to these sections:
Inspirational Recovery Quotes
It’s hard to know what to say when someone is sick. Check out some quotes to inspire someone who has a hard row ahead.
1. “Wondrous is the strength of cheerfulness, and its power of endurance — the cheerful man will do more in the same time, will do it better, will preserve it longer, than the sad or sullen.” — Thomas Carlyle
Thomas Carlyle was an essayist and historian working in Victorian England. This quote still rings true to modern readers.
2. “Healing in its fullest sense requires looking into our heart and expanding our awareness of who we are.” — Mitchell Gaynor
Your friend or family member needs to ask, “Am I the type of person to fight and work hard for recovery?” How we react in the face of adversity says a lot about ourselves.
3. “What the mind possesses, your body expresses.” — Anonymous
This quote says a lot about how the mind plays a vital role in the recovery process.
4. “The power to heal is in you, and nonetheless there is a tendency in our culture to project onto other people and to want them to heal us.” — Andrew Weil
Andrew Weil writes a lot about the healing power of nutritious food. You may want to share one of his books with a recovering friend.
5. “This is the day which the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it.” — Psalm 118:24
Share this if the recipient is a person of faith. This quote will remind your recovering friend to rejoice regardless of the situation.
6. “Whether it’s the best of times or the worst of times, it’s the only time we’ve got.” — Art Buchwald
We all need reminders of this sometimes, whether we face a recovery or simply the hassles of daily life.
7. “To face despair and not give in to it, that’s courage.” — Ted Koppel
Your loved one may face a tough recovery. Remind your loved one that facing up to a disparaging situation shows courage.
8. “If winter comes, can spring be far behind?” — Percy Bysshe Sheley
Your friend or family member may be facing a figurative winter. Share this poetic statement so your loved one continues the fight.
9. “There is no medicine like hope, no incentive so great, and no tonic so powerful as expectation of something tomorrow.” — Orison Swett Marden
Keep hope alive for your recovering family member. Make plans for what you’ll do together after he heals.
10. “Fall seven times, stand up eight.” — Japanese Proverb
It’s common to experience setbacks — and sometimes, it’s expected. Remind your friend that healing doesn’t happen overnight.
Funny Quotes About Recovery
Do you need to get your friend’s attention? Try using humor. Your friend may laugh out loud if you post one of these funny quotes on her Facebook wall.
Are you looking for something to say when someone is stressed? Try humor! It’s the best medicine.
11. “If I’d known I was going to live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.” — Jimmy Durante
Encourage your friend or family member to take positive steps in recovery. It’s amazing how much hard work may pay off in the end.
12. “There must be quite a few things a hot bath won’t cure, but I don’t know many of them.” — Sylvia Plath
Bath bombs would make great encouraging gifts. Consider purchasing bath bombs and soothing face masks for that person’s recovery.
13. “Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died.” — Erma Bombeck
You’re going to check out the plants in the waiting room the next time you go to the doctor, aren’t you? You can also rely on Erma Bombeck for a good one-liner.
14. “Cancer, schmancer — as long as you’re healthy.” — Anonymous
This quote may not be funny to everybody, but it may be precisely what your loved one needs to hear today.
15. “If you break your neck, if you have nothing to eat, if your house is on fire, then you got a problem. Everything else is inconvenience.” — Robert Fulghum
Perhaps this list doesn’t include all the possible devastating problems, but it does help put things in perspective. Your friend may feel that recovering from hip replacement surgery isn’t that big of a deal after reading this list.
16. “No matter how big or soft or warm your bed is, you still have to get out of it.” — Grace Slick
It’s difficult to get up and move around when you are in pain or overwhelmed. Light a firecracker under a friend who has a difficult time getting motivated.
17. “Drag your thoughts away from your troubles — by the ears, by the heels, or any other way you can manage it. It’s the healthiest thing a body can do.” — Mark Twain
Don’t bother ruminating over things with which you have no control.
18. “A good belly laugh is like taking your liver on a horseback ride.” — Bonny Clark
Be there for a recovering friend. Watch a funny movie or read from a hilarious book.
19. “Despair of all recovery spoils longevity, and makes men’s miseries of alarming brevity.” — Lord Byron
It may take a few moments to interpret this quote’s language, but it basically says that someone who doesn’t face recovery may die faster. That’s kind of funny, right?
Quotes About Celebrating Recovery
Has your friend fully recovered? It’s time to celebrate! Check out these quotes you might want to hang on the celebratory banner.
20. “Victory is won not in miles but in inches. Win a little now, hold your ground, and later, win a little more.” — Louis L’Amour
Your friend’s recovery may continue for the rest of her life. Celebrate progress, even if there is no finish line.
21. “Out of difficulties grow miracles.” — Jean de La Bruyère
Was your friend’s recovery miraculous? Celebrate it!
22. “Deep within man dwell those slumbering powers: powers that would astonish him, that he never dreamed of possessing; forces that would revolutionize his life is aroused and put into action” — Orison Swett Marden
Your friend may have pulled from those inner slumbering powers to aid them in recovery.
23. “If we did all the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves.” — Thomas Alva Edison
Does your friend deserve a round of applause for fighting so hard to recover? This is a great quote!
24. “Doing little things well is a step toward doing big things better.” — Anonymous
A friend who takes the right steps toward recovery deserves a pat on the back. Be an encouraging friend.
25. “Realistic goals: Beyond your grasp — but within your reach.” — Anonymous
Encourage your friend to set realistic goals for herself. Maybe she’s not ready to run a marathon — a better recovery goal may be to run a 5K.
26. “I shall return.” — Douglas MacArthur
General MacArthur's famous quote may be used to celebrate the return of a coworker after recovering from an illness or injury.
Other Ways to Encourage a Friend
Besides these recovery quotes, it’s easy to offer advice to a friend going through recovery. Instead of offering advice, consider just being there for your friend. Drive her to her therapy sessions and make her healthy meals. Go on walks with someone who needs a bit of extra exercise and purchase new workout clothing for your friend to make it fun.