Do you spend most of your time thinking about your plans for the immediate future? You think about what you’re going to have for dinner. You wonder whether it’s time to take your car in for an oil change. You think about where you might want to go on vacation this year.
Jump ahead to these sections:
- Positive Self-Reflection Quotes
- Funny Self-Reflection Quotes
- Spiritual or Religious Self-Reflection Quotes
- Reflection Quotes About Love
It’s important to have these thoughts and it’s also essential to think about big-picture items by spending time self-reflecting.
Some people spend time in self-reflection by completing writing prompts like doing future self journaling. Read through these quotes about self-reflection to unwind and put yourself at peace.
Positive Self-Reflection Quotes
Is the running dialogue that goes through your head saying positive things? Are you happy with yourself? Are you proud of what you have accomplished?
One writing exercise you may consider if you struggle with self-confidence is to make a reverse bucket list. This exercise will make you feel proud of what you have already accomplished in life, as opposed to creating a bucket list of things you still want to do and your unfulfilled goals.
Here are some quotes about self-reflection that will inspire you to do great things.
1. “As is our confidence, so is our capacity.” — William Hazlitt
Did your mom always tell you that you could do anything that you set your mind to? This quote says the same thing. William Hazlitt was a British essayist who wrote during the 19th century.
2. “How silent the woods would be if only the best birds sang.” — Unknown
You are necessary to those around you. Sing your song and be heard.
3. “Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.” — Theodore Roosevelt
Instead of complaining that you have no power or sphere of influence, do what you can with what you have to better the world. Start by being a positive influence on the members of your immediate family.
4. “Think you can or think you can’t — either way, you will be right.” — Henry Ford
If Henry Ford had been a pessimist, we might be all riding bikes right now.
5. “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” — Eleanor Roosevelt
Do you have an unsupportive family member or spouse? Don’t listen to that source of doom and gloom. Don’t give them power over what goes on in your head.
Funny Self-Reflection Quotes
Besides being depressing, living life too seriously gives you premature wrinkles. It also makes you less fun to be around.
6. “An inferiority complex would be a blessing, if only the right people had it.” — Alan Reed
Why is it that the most annoying people seem to have the most self-confidence? They seem to know the answers to all of life’s mysteries, and they share these answers every day on Facebook.
7. “Never think of yourself as inferior. Leave this to the experts.” — Unknown
Allegedly, this sign was found in a London employment agency. If this is true, it is a reminder that even if you don’t think that you are worthy of a job, the worst thing that someone can tell you is “No.”
8. “Everybody needs to feel like somebody.” — Unknown
This is profoundly true because it gives you a sense of self-worth and pride. Teenagers sometimes struggle to find their place but often don’t know who that “somebody” is.
9. “You grow up the day you have your first real laugh — at yourself.” — Ethel Barrymore
Sometimes all you can do is laugh. When things get too hard, too stressful, or too overwhelming, try to find a nugget of humor.
10. “Of all my relatives, I like me best.” — Unknown
Does this describe your situation too?
Spiritual or Religious Self-Reflection Quotes
You may not be able to ponder life’s big questions without reflecting on your spirituality. In fact, of all the questions to ask yourself, this is the most important. How does your view of God affect your picture of yourself? Here are some quotes that can help.
11. “I can do all things through Christ who strengtheneth me.” Philippians 4:13
If you’re a Christian, you’ll be comforted knowing that God is there to help you with you as long as those goals are done to the glory of God.
12. “I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.” Psalm 139:14
The next time you feel bad about how you look, consider this passage from the book of Psalms. You are wonderfully complex.
13. “We should not live like cringing, fearful slaves, but we should behave like God’s very own children, adopted into the bosom of his family, and calling to him, “Father, father.” Romans 8:15
Paul wrote these words of encouragement in the Book of Romans.
14. “What we are, is what we have thought for years.” — Buddha
Do you view yourself as uncoordinated, not good at math, and someone who will always be stuck in a mediocre job? Instead, have a growth mindset. Tell yourself that you’re not good at math yet. Or you can’t make that complicated dance move yet. That three-letter word has a lot of power.
15. “God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.” — Dr. Reinhold Niebuhr
Your grandma may have needle-pointed this on a pillow — for good reason.
Reflection Quotes About Love
People don’t think about love as much as they should. Love isn’t what you see on a Hallmark movie or what you read in a greeting card.
Love is shown by being patient when your teenage daughter slams the door. Love is waiting up for your husband to get home from a late-night flight, just to make sure he gets back safely. Love is helping your elderly mother bathe.
Here are some quotes about all types of love. But one of the most important types of love is the love of self.
16. “Love is a fruit in season at all times and within reach of every hand.” — Mother Teresa
Of course, Mother Teresa was probably referring to God’s love with this quote. It is ready to be plucked at all times and in the reach of every person on Earth.
17. “Love must be learned, and learned again and again; there is no end to it. Hate needs no instruction, but wants only to be provoked.” — Henry Ward Beecher
Love isn’t easy. People are difficult to be around, and you have to push aside irritation, jealousy, and insecurity to love. In the end, you will find that it is worth it, especially if someone is patient and understanding enough to love you back.
18. “Life’s greatest happiness is to be convinced we are loved.” — Victor Hugo
Victor Hugo is a French poet and novelist famous for writing “Les Misérables” and “The Hunchback of Notre Dame.” Sometimes people need to be convinced that they are worthy of love.
19. “Such ever was love’s way; to rise, it stoops.” — Robert Browning
It’s important to humble yourself to love. Love shows no arrogance.
20. “Love is, above all, the gift of oneself.” — Jean Anouilh
Remind yourself that you are a great gift.
Self-Reflection is a Gift to Yourself
It may be hard to think without distraction. Challenge yourself to find time to think at a higher level every day of your life. Go for a run without your earbuds. Drive without the distraction of the radio. Meditate or pray each morning. If you don’t know how to meditate or pray, add this to your list of essential things to learn.
Don’t become a sheep, allowing only the current memes or headlines to invade your thoughts. Don’t let toxic relationships poison you against your job, your spouse, or your ideals. Instead, go deep within yourself and think about how you can become a better person.