Reaching your Golden Years comes with a lot of advantages but also many new challenges. The biggest change for most people is retirement, the age at which your career comes to an end. As a senior citizen, your time is finally your own. You no longer have to stick to the structure of a 9-5, and your time is yours to explore.
Jump ahead to these sections:
- Retirement Wishes for a Coworker
- Retirement Wishes for a Friend
- Retirement Wishes for a Boss
- Retirement Wishes for a Partner or Spouse
- Retirement Wishes for Parents
- Retirement Wishes for Another Family Member
- Inspirational Retirement Wishes
- Funny Retirement Wishes
- Travel Retirement Wishes
- Legacy Retirement Messages
Many retirees use retirement to get closer to their family, travel, and expand their hobbies and interests. If someone in your life is approaching their time for retirement, show them that you’re there with them to celebrate this exciting time. These 50+ ‘happy retirement’ wishes and message ideas are perfect for welcoming the retiree to this new time of their life that’s all about them.
Retirement Wishes for a Coworker
If someone you work with is about to retire, let them know you’re thinking about them. As a fellow coworker, you know how different their retired life will be without the grind of a day job!
1. Cheers to your retirement! Thanks for being a great coworker!
2. It’s amazing to see someone retire who is as deserving as you. Try to relax into this new era of your life.
3. Congratulations! The fun is about to begin! I wish you all the happiness and health.
4. While the office won’t be the same without you, we’re so happy that you’re taking this time for yourself and your family.
5. Thank you for being such a helpful coworker, a hard worker, and a kind friend. It’s time to go relax!
Retirement Wishes for a Friend
If one of your close friends is entering this next part of their life, let them know how much you care. It’s normal for retirees to feel a bit anxious, so remind them that you’ll always be there.
6. You finally have the time to yourself that you deserve! May you sleep in late and eat all the good food!
7. Happy retirement! Just make sure you spend some of that extra time with me!
8. While you might think retirement means you’re old, it actually just means you’ve been working hard enough for a vacation. Congrats!
9. You deserve the most stress-free retirement ever! Best wishes, friend!
10. Life starts when you retire. Your time is officially yours to explore anything you’ve ever wanted.
Retirement Wishes for a Boss
Saying goodbye to a beloved boss isn’t always easy, but you know it’s time for them to move on to new things. These well-wishes help with the transition.
11. No more sales targets, no more meetings, and no more KPIs. Congratulations on your retirement!
12. I’m sure you’ll miss having us do everything for you! Cheers to your hard-earned retirement!
13. Wishing you endless success and happiness in this new chapter of your life.
14. Your guidance and leadership have meant so much to me these past years. Thank you for everything! Best of luck!
15. Best wishes on your retirement. I hope you’ll still visit us at the office from time to time! We’ll definitely still miss you!
Retirement Wishes for a Partner or Spouse
If your partner is retiring, this is exciting for the both of you. Together, you’ll have more time to devote to each other and the things that matter to you. Review the top retirement magazines for more inspiration for this new time.
16. Retirement is a blessing for us both! I can’t wait to take on this new chapter of life together. Congratulations, my love.
17. Your work has shined through for years, and I’m so proud of everything you’ve accomplished. You’ve done amazing! Now it’s time to relax.
18. I can’t wait to use this time to connect, explore, and discover. No matter what, we’re a team. Congratulations on your retirement!
19. I’ve always been your biggest supporter throughout your career, and I can’t wait to cheer you on in this new era of your life as well!
20. Your work might be losing a top employee, but now I get my partner full-time! I’m so proud of you, and I can’t wait to celebrate this accomplishment together.
Retirement Wishes for Parents
As children, we help our parents adjust to their senior years and retirement. This is a great time to reconnect and come together. Pair these messages below with the best retirement gifts for mom or dad to help them make the most of this special time.
21. You’ve given so much to me over the years. I’m so happy you’re finally taking some time for yourself. It’s time to relax and enjoy everything life has to offer. Congrats!
22. You’ve been the best role model to me over the years. Thanks to you, I always knew the type of hard worker I wanted to be. Now, I can’t wait to see you retire with such grace.
23. I’m so excited to say my parents are retired and living life on their own terms. You’ve done so much for the family! It’s time for you to treat yourself.
24. Hard work really does reap the greatest results, and you taught me that by example. I’m glad you’re finally retiring. Enjoy this time!
25. I can’t wait to see what you’ll accomplish in your retirement! You deserve this break more than anyone. Now go live it up!
Retirement Wishes for Another Family Member
If another family member is retiring, let them know you’re thinking of them. Family ties are so important during any of life’s changes.
26. Your hard work and determination motivated me for years! It’s time for you to take a break and enjoy your retirement. Congratulations!
27. You’ve earned this break! I’m blessed to watch you enter your new stage of retirement. I can’t wait to see what you do next!
28. Enjoy the sweet fruits of your hard labor! Wishing you all the best for your amazing retirement. You’re your own boss now.
29. Cheers to reaching this big milestone! Retirement is a time for new beginnings. Here’s to this amazing change!
30. They might say retirement is a chance to rest, but it’s actually a chance to live. Enjoy your new independence!
Inspirational Retirement Wishes
With big changes come new challenges. Some people might need an extra push to know they’re making the right decision. Leaving the traditional workplace behind is harder than it looks!
31. Your whole new life is ahead of you. It’s full of nex experiences and happiness. Don’t call it retirement — call it bliss!
32. To find happiness in your retirement, learn to appreciate the smaller things in life. Everything will fall perfectly into place. Congrats!
33. Congrats on entering your personal era of “me time.” The world is yours to explore!
34. It’s time to do everything you’ve been dreaming about. With no job to hold you back, the world is officially yours. What will you do next?
35. You’re one of my biggest inspirations. Never let your retirement put out that fire inside you! Cheers!
Funny Retirement Wishes
Who said retirement had to be serious? This is the perfect chance to laugh a bit about life and enjoy the simpler things — like these funny wishes below!
36. Who said you have to act your age when you retire? It’s time to let out your inner youth!
37 No more Monday blues! Woohoo! Now that’s something to look forward to. Congrats on your retirement!
38. I guess it’s time for that senior discount after all! I hope you enjoy all the best perks of retirement!
39. Retirement is a neverending weekend! I would be lying if I say I’m not jealous. You better live it up! Congrats!
40. Seeing you retire makes me emotional. It’s hard to place the strongest feeling, but it might be envy. Best of luck!
Travel Retirement Wishes
One of the most common things people do once they retire is travel. If someone in your life is about to embark on a new adventure, wish them bon voyage with these words of kindness.
41. Happy retirement! I hope your trip is amazing! You deserve this.
42. Sending all my love and best wishes for your retirement trip! I hope you have a great time!
43. Though I’ll miss you, I understand why this trip is so important. Congrats on your retirement! Go see the world!
44. A farewell is always sad, but I know you’re off to do amazing things. Bon voyage on your trip! I hope you make the most of your retirement.
45. I’m so happy for you in your retirement. Use this chance to see the world and have new experiences. You’ll never know what you’ll discover! Best of luck!
Legacy Retirement Messages
Every one of us leaves a mark on those we meet. Our legacy is something that lives on long after we’re gone, so let the retiree in your life know what their impact means. What legacy is left by their career?
46. Here’s to your 30 years of success! You leave behind a legacy of dedication and enthusiasm, and that isn’t going to be easy to replace. Thanks so much for everything!
47. We’re wishing you nothing but the best! You always gave your all, and now it’s time to turn your focus on yourself during your retirement.
48. I’m so in awe of your career and your legacy. You’ve accomplished so much! Take this chance to stop and remember how you got here, and then smile about everything the future has in store. Congrats!
49. Congratulations on an outstanding career. Your contribution will not be forgotten. Now go live your dreams!
50. Your work was an inspiration to us all. Thanks for everything, and don’t forget just how much you mean to us. Cheers to the future! This is your time to shine!
Starting Retirement Strong
Everyone wants to make the most of their retirement, but sometimes this transition is intimidating. If you have a retiree in your life, let them know you’re thinking of them as they start this new chapter. Remind them that they’re not alone and that you’ve appreciated everything they’ve done up until this point. The Golden Years are always better when they’re spent together!
Have you given any thought to your own retirement? Taking time to start end-of-life planning is the best way to make sure this final chapter is all about you and your wants. This is the time to be selfish and make your wishes heard.