Are you searching for the perfect song to remind you of your childhood or high school friends and family? We've found a lot of perfect songs for you. You can even put some of your favorites into a playlist and give a Spotify gift card to a loved one as a special way to reminisce on memories together.
Jump ahead to these sections:
- Best Songs About Friendship and Memories
- Best Songs About Having Children and Memories
- Best Songs About Memories with Family
- Best Songs About Happy Childhood Memories
- Best Songs About High School and College Memories
- Best Songs About Memories with a Spouse or Partner
Best Songs About Friendship and Memories
Included in this section, you'll find a range of music from rhythm and blues and folk to pop, from the U.K. to the U.S.
1. "We Are Young ft. Janelle Monáe" by Fun
This song makes you feel like you’re free — like you’re in your 20s — again.
2. "You’ve Got a Friend" by James Taylor
Taylor's easy folk roots are easy to pick out in this song.
3. "Stand By Me" by Ben E. King
This song is the fourth-most played song of the 20th century. More than 400 artists have recorded versions of "Stand by Me" and it's charted multiple times.
4. "Friends in Low Places" by Garth Brooks
Very few people can refrain from singing along to this song, no matter where they are — at a wedding, at a bar, at a funeral…
5. "That’s What Friends Are For" by Dionne & Friends
The song raised over $500,000 to benefit AIDS awareness and research.
6. "Wind Beneath My Wings" by Bette Midler
Bette Midler recorded this song for the movie "Beaches." The song was in memory of a friend she misses and greatly admired.
7. "Lean on Me" by Bill Withers
"Lean on Me" explains the intensity of a great friendship.
8. "Wannabe" by Spice Girls
The Spice Girls were a 90's sensation out of the U.K. This was their debut song.
9. "You’re My Best Friend" by Queen
Freddy Mercury is said to have the most perfect voice ever recorded.
10. "I’ll Be There" by the Jackson 5
Jackie, Tito, Jermaine, Marlon, and Michael are the brothers that made up the Jackson 5.
Best Songs About Having Children and Memories
Here are some great songs about parents and their sons and daughters.
11. "Lions and Tigers" by Sleater-Kinney
Sleater-Kinney's song is about the hopes and dreams young mothers have for their children.
12. "Gabriel and Me" by Joan Baez
Joan Baez wrote this for her son, Gabriel, in 1971.
13. "Blue" by Beyoncé
Beyoncé co-wrote this for her first child, Blue Ivy, in 2013.
14. "Only One" by Kanye West
Kanye West wrote this for his daughter, North, in 2014.
15. "Father and Daughter" by Paul Simon
Paul Simon wrote this song for a movie in 2002, but it expresses his love for his daughter, Lulu.
16. "The Sweetest Gift" by Sade
This is Sade's tribute song to her transgender son, Izaak.
17. "The One Thing" by Shakira
In 2014, Shakira wrote this song for her son, Milan, and her husband, Gerald.
18. "Sweetest Devotion" by Adele
Adele wrote this song in 2015 for her son, Angelo.
19. "Speechless" by Alicia Keys
Alicia Keys’ son, Egypt, was born in 2010.
20. "Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy)" by John Lennon
This is John's song for his son, Sean.
Best Songs About Memories with Family
Included in this section, you’ll find some rock ‘n’ roll, R&B, country, and alternative faves.
21. "We are Family" by Sister Sledge
Debbie, Joni, Kim, and Kathy are the sisters Sledge.
22. "Ode to My Family" by The Cranberries
Lead singer Dolores O'Riordan wrote this in 1994 while on tour in the United States.
23. "These are My People" by Rodney Atkins
Atkins’ chorus, “But these are my people, this is where I come from” fits in nicely with the family theme in this section.
24. "Celebration" by Kool and the Gang
No matter the cause or the occasion, "Celebration" is a welcome addition to any playlist.
25. "Family Reunion" by Jill Scott
Jill Scott is a Philadelphia native, born in 1972. She's won two Grammys for Best Urban/Alternative Performance.
26. "Family Affair" by Sly and the Family Stone
"Family Affair" appears on the 1971 album, “There's a Riot Goin' On.”
27. "Home Sweet Home" by Mötley Cruë.
Mötley Cruë rose to fame in 1981 with Vince Neil, Nikki Sixx, Mick Mars, and Tommy Lee. "Home Sweet Home" is on its 1985 album “Theater of Pain.”
28. "Back Home Again" by John Denver
John Denver was a folk artist who died in a plane crash at only 54 years old.
29. "My Hometown" by Bruce Springsteen
Bruce Springsteen is an American music history icon. Springsteen’s blue-collar rock and roll makes him a favorite in any hometown.
30. "That’s What I Call Home" by Blake Shelton
Shelton is known for his appearances on the reality television show, “The Voice.”
Best Songs About Happy Childhood Memories
The songs and artists included in this selection take you back to great childhood memories.
31. "Kids" by OneRepublic
OneRepublic was a boy band out of the U.K., now on a permanent hiatus. The members of the band now have solo careers.
32. "Girls Just Want to Have Fun" by Cyndi Lauper
"Girls Just Want to Have Fun" appears on the 1985 indie/comedy movie soundtrack by the same name. It stars Sarah Jessica Parker who goes against her parents' wishes to enter a dance contest.
33. "ABC" by Jackson 5
The Jackson 5 were a wildly popular group. Each one of the brothers later pursued solo careers.
34. "Rockin’ Robin" by Bobby Day
This song is your classic, 1958 feel-good tune. It was Bobby Day's only Top 40 song.
35. "Shiny Happy People" by R.E.M.
R.E.M. was a band for 31 years — from 1980 to 2011. "Shiny Happy People" appears on the band’s second album, “Out of Time.”
36. "Walk Like an Egyptian" by The Bangles
The Bangles are an all-female band that’s played together since 1981.
37. "Wake Up" by Arcade Fire
Arcade Fire is a Canadian indie rock band that debuted in 2001. "Wake Up" appears on the soundtrack for the movie, "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty."
38. "Fernando" by ABBA
In 1976, ABBA gave us "Fernando." It reached #1 in 13 countries.
39. "Popsicle" by Jan and Dean
"Popsicle" doesn't have any hidden metaphors. The song is simply about popsicles.
40. "Rollercoaster" by the Jonas Brothers
The Jonas Brothers have been making a comeback in recent years. "Rollercoaster" appears on the band’s recent 2019 album.
Best Songs About High School and College Memories
No matter the style or genre of music, we can all relate to these nostalgic times in our lives.
41. "When We Were Young" by Adele
Adele's song about memories has a haunting truth about it.
42. "I Go Back" by Kenny Chesney
Kenny Chesney’s music is all about small-town country life.
43. "Summer of 69" by Bryan Adams
This Canadian singer has always been popular. His song, "Summer of 69," may be the most well-known of all of them.
44. "I Will Remember You" by Sarah McLachlan
Sarah McLachlan is another Canadian singer with a recognizable voice. She rose to popularity in the 1980s and 1990s.
45. "American Honey" by Lady Antebellum
Lady Antebellum has a knack for capturing the essence of growing up in rural America.
46. "I Wanna Go Back" by Eddie Money
Eddie Money was going to be a police officer just like his dad. But he was far better suited to be a singer.
47. "Good Old Days" by Macklemore
Macklemore's song, "Good Old Days," is about everything we are going to remember when we think about the best days of our lives.
48. "It’s Time" by Imagine Dragons
Imagine Dragons is a pop-rock band that debuted in 2008. "It's Time" appears on the band’s 2012 album “Continued Silence.”
49. "You’re Gonna Miss This" by Trace Adkins
"You're Gonna Miss This" is Adkins' tribute to youth gone by.
50. "Summertime" by DJ Jazzy Jeff and The Fresh Prince
"Summertime" was one of the songs that came on the heels of the television show "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. "
Best Songs About Memories with a Spouse or Partner
Here are some great songs that help you remember great memories with a spouse or partner.
51. "True Colors" by Cyndi Lauper
This song was released in 1986 on an album of the same name.
52. "Sweet Sixteen" by Billy Idol
Billy Idol wrote this about a man who made a mistake losing his partner, then spent years and millions of dollars trying to win her back.
53. "Hold On" by Richard Marx
Richard Marx was a huge artist from the 90s. "Hold On" is one of his most popular love songs.
54. "Photograph" by Ed Sheeran
Ed Sheeran is an incredibly talented artist from the U.K. "Photograph" is about holding on to love.
55. "Wonderful Tonight" by Eric Clapton
"Wonderful Tonight" sounds like a prom theme but the song was a ballad for his wife.
56. "Make You Feel My Love" by Garth Brooks
"Hope Floats," which starred Sandra Bullock and Harry Connick, Jr., claimed this song for its movie soundtrack.
57. "Remember You Young" by Thomas Rhett
Thomas Rhett's song, "Remember You Young," appears on the album “Center Point Road.”
58. "Still the One" by Orleans
The honesty in this song is awesome. "Still the One" doesn't shy away from the ups or downs of a long-term relationship.
59. "Every Mile a Memory" by Dierks Bentley
"Every Mile a Memory" appears on the 2006 album, “Long Trip Alone.”
60. "Amnesia" by 5 Seconds of Summer
Sometimes relationships end so badly that you wish you could forget them rather than miss them.
Remembering You, Remembering Them
It's the human condition to remember both the good and the bad memories. Thankfully, there are a few songs to help trigger the ones that we prefer.
Post-loss tip: If you are the executor for a deceased loved one, the emotional and technical aspects of handling their unfinished business can be overwhelming without a way to organize your process. We have a post-loss checklist that will help you ensure that your loved one's family, estate, and other affairs are taken care of.