Are you looking for a unique and thoughtful gift idea that anyone would love? Why not purchase a Spotify Premium account? This is the perfect present to give someone as a birthday or Christmas gift, but you may even consider it for those occasions when the perfect gift eludes you. Who doesn’t like music? For example, the gift of ad-free music would be great for someone who is undergoing chemotherapy, or it could be used as a get well gift for someone recovering at home.
Jump ahead to these sections:
- Steps for Buying a Spotify Gift Card or Premium Subscription
- Spotify Gift Subscriptions: Frequently Asked Questions
Ordering subscription services online is sometimes tricky. You want the recipient to be in control of the account, so you don’t want to open the account in your name. At the same time, privacy protocols, passwords, and two-step authentication sometimes make it difficult to maneuver through technology.
Let us help walk you through the steps of purchasing a Spotify Premium Account for someone else.
Steps for Buying a Spotify Gift Card for a Premium Subscription
The simplest way to give someone the gift of Spotify Premium is to purchase a gift card. Here’s how to buy one. It’s actually more complicated than you might think.
Step 1: Visit Amazon or a local retailer
For some crazy reason, you cannot buy a Spotify gift card from their website. We know this doesn’t make any sense, and there is no explanation for it to be found.
Since you are unable to buy a gift card at Spotify.com, you either need to buy one on Amazon or visit a local retailer that sells gift cards. The Spotify website gives nebulous help, saying that the cards are available “at counters of selected stores, and they’re available in most larger markets.” There is not a link that lists those “selected stores,” nor is there a description to explain what constitutes a “larger market.”
A quick look Amazon.com shows that the gift cards can be purchased in increments of $60 but keep reading before clicking the “Buy Now” button.
Step 2: Understand the gift card’s fine print
There are several rules to be aware of if you’re purchasing a Spotify gift card for someone.
- You can only buy a gift card for someone living in the same country. So if your brother will be redeeming his Spotify gift card in England, and you purchase the gift card in Kentucky, your brother will be out of luck.
- Even though there may be other stores selling Spotify gift cards through the Amazon website, make sure you only purchase them through the official Amazon retailer. You may be able to find a gift card at a local retailer as well.
- The online gift card that you purchase from Amazon cannot be used for family or student subscriptions. This is not clearly stated when purchasing the gift card, and many online reviewers gave the Spotify gift card scathing reviews because of this.
- Make sure you know what you are purchasing. Gift cards for Spotify premium through Amazon cannot be returned.
Get weekly reminders to live life fully.
We'll send inspirational quotes directly to your inbox.
Step 3: Purchase the gift card
A $60 Spotify gift card will pay for a six-month individual account. If you would like to purchase a year’s subscription, you will need to buy two.
Step 4: Make sure the person receiving the gift knows how to redeem it
Before you purchase, you may need to ask the recipient if he or she currently has a Spotify subscription. Buying a gift card may complicate things for the person if he or she is already a customer. It may be especially challenging to manage if the recipient has a family or student subscription. After all, you want a thank you note—not a series of irritated texts about how your present was a pain.
Here are some other things you might want to let your recipient know about the gift.
- Premium subscriptions can only be purchased for up to 18 months at a time.
- Spotify gift cards are only valid for 12 months from the date of purchase.
- You must have an account with Spotify to redeem the gift card. Open an account at accounts.spotify.com.
Spotify Gift Subscriptions: Frequently Asked Questions
Despite the hassle in purchasing a gift card, a Spotify subscription would make an excellent gift. Again, you may reconsider the purchase if the recipient has a family or student subscription as your gift may go unused.
Here are some answers to questions you may have about the purchase.
How do I redeem the Spotify gift card?
- Log in at spotify.com/redeem. You may need to fill out the information for a new account if you have never had a Spotify subscription before. This is an easy process and requires you to share your name, birthday, and email address. Of course, you will have to create a password for your account that you will probably promptly forget. To keep that from happening, you may want to use a password manager.
- As you maneuver through the process of redeeming your gift card, you will be prompted to enter the PIN on the back of the card. You may not have a physical card—the PIN may be found on a receipt.
- Click Redeem and your subscription will immediately begin. If you are already a customer, your gift card is applied to your subscription beginning on your next payment date.
What’s included in Spotify Premium?
According to the Spotify website, there are three perks for purchasing a premium account. The subscription allows you to listen to music ad-free and to download music to play anywhere, even offline. You also gain greater control over how you want to listen to your music, like on-demand playback on a song you particularly enjoy.
Can you use a gift card for Premium Family?
Spotify gift cards can only be redeemed for individual premium accounts, not for family or student accounts. Those subscriptions are at discounted rates, and the gift card does not cover those purchases.
Even though your gift card may say $60, this means it is for a six-month individual membership. This does not mean that you were given $60 to spend on Spotify as you see fit.
What is included in a Family Spotify Membership?
Even though you can’t use a gift card for a Family Spotify Membership, it may be worth knowing that a family subscription comes with the following:
- Six premium accounts for family members living in the same house.
- Spotify will create a family playlist based on all the music that your family has in common.
- A premium family membership allows parents to block explicit content.
- The family membership gives kids age 12 and under access to a specially-designed app for children.
Despite the complications that might arise from purchasing a Spotify gift card, it is a lovely gift idea. It would make a nice best wishes gift for a new couple or a good sympathy gift for someone who’s in grief. Music can provide solace to an ailing heart. And, hopefully, our guide has helped clear up any confusion you’ve had about gifting Spotify Premium.