Can you make a list of all the things your friends do for you? They listen to your complaints about your coworkers and jobs. Your friends are there when you obsess over a new hobby or interest and they listen patiently when we brag about our children.
Gift and Card Ideas to Say Thank You for Being a Friend
- Beyond Grateful Simple Thank You Cards ($14.49)
- Thank You for Helping Me Grow Card ($5.99)
- Thank You for Being My Unpaid Therapist Candle ($16.99)
- Emotional Support Coworker Keepsake ($12.98)
- Thank You Wind Chimes ($29.97)
- Gratitude Morse Code Bracelet ($14.97)
Jump ahead to these sections:
- ‘Thank You for Being a Friend’ Quotes
- Funny ‘Thank You’ Messages for a Friend
- Sweet ‘Thank You’ Messages for a Friend
- Messages to Say ‘Thank You for Being a Friend During Hard Times'
- Messages to Say ‘Thank You For Being a Friend’ Just Because
- ‘Thank You for Being a Friend’ Messages for a Friend’s Birthday
- Emotional or Heartfelt ‘Thank You for Being a Friend’ Messages
- ‘Thank You for Being a Friend’ Messages for a Friend Who’s Moving Away
- ‘Thank You for Being a Friend’ Messages for a Coworker
- Long ‘Thank You for Being a Friend’ Messages to Share in a Letter or Card
Most importantly, your friends are there for you when bad things happen. They’re there for difficult diagnoses and complicated relationships. They let you rant and are there for you when you grieve.
If you have a friend or two that you can count on when the going gets tough, consider yourself lucky. Here are some ways that you can say “thank you for being there” to your special friend.
‘Thank You for Being a Friend’ Quotes
Show your friends how much they are appreciated by sharing a heartfelt quote through text or social media. Here are some quotes from poets, novelists, philosophers, and others who have a knack for words that speak about friendship’s importance.
Include one of these quotes in a thank you letter to your best friend or post one on your Facebook page.
1. “Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, ‘What! You too? I thought I was the only one.'” — C.S. Lewis
C.S. Lewis was the author of the Narnia series as well as books about Christian apologetics. Lewis was friends with J.R.R. Tolkien, who wrote “The Hobbit” and the “Lord of the Rings” series. Of course, these two men probably had plenty of commonalities with which to form a friendship.
2. “Keep away from those who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you believe that you too can become great.” — Mark Twain
Mark Twain may have had doubters in his ranks when he attempted to make a career out of writing. Thankfully, Twain must have also had friends who encouraged him to tell his stories.
3. “Lots of people want to ride with you in the limo, but what you want is someone who will take the bus with you when the limo breaks down.” — Oprah Winfrey
Value the friendships that survive the bad times of your life. Those friendships are particularly worthwhile.
4. “Growing apart doesn’t change the fact that for a long time we grew side by side; our roots will always be tangled. I’m glad for that.” — Ally Condie
As you go through life, your friends may come and go. Even if you didn’t mean to lose touch with one of your friends, it happens. Share this quote with a friend who you don’t often get to see.
5. “There is nothing better than a friend unless it is a friend with chocolate.” — Linda Grayson
We also hold friends with wine in high esteem.
6. “We cannot tell the precise moment when friendship is formed. As in filling a vessel drop by drop, there is, at last, a drop which makes it run over; so in a series of kindnesses there is at last one which makes the heart run over.” — Ray Bradbury
Share this with a friend who has filled you with joy throughout the years.
7. “A friend is someone who knows all about you and still loves you.” Elbert Hubbard
Share this quote with a friend who accepts your idiosyncrasies.
8. “A friend is one that knows you as you are, understands where you have been, accepts what you have become, and still, gently allows you to grow.” — Unknown
This quote has been attributed to William Shakespeare, but scholars say this has been in error. Even though the Bard did not write these beautiful words, they are an apt description of a perfect friendship.
9. “Only your real friends will tell you when your face is dirty.” — Sicilian Proverb
This quote would be personalized easily. Real friends also tell you when you have something between your teeth or when you are making a fool of yourself.
10. “I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was 12.” — Stephen King
Do these words sound familiar? They are from the movie “Stand By Me.” Share this quote with your childhood friends.
Funny ‘Thank You’ Messages for a Friend
A true friend knows when it is time to laugh and when it is time to be serious. Here are some lighthearted thank you messages to share with a friend when life is getting too sober. You may want to share these when sending funny birthday wishes to a special person in your life.
11. Friendship is like a flower in the garden of life. Haha. Just kidding. Thanks for not getting too annoyed with me when I’m acting obnoxious. You’re the best.
Some friends enjoy the sentiments written in Hallmark cards and some don’t. Know your audience as you send a heartfelt message to a friend.
12. You don’t annoy me as much as most people do.
If you are known for having a sarcastic sense of humor, don’t disappoint your friends by sending messages that are too flowery.
13. You are such a wonderful friend. Thank you for being there for me. But would you please learn some new jokes? Yours are getting old.
You may want to pair a sweet message with a slight criticism to get a laugh out of your friend. You could also make fun of your friend’s taste in music or cooking skills.
14. We’ll be friends until we die. You know too many of my secrets, so I have to keep you close by.
Do you share everything with your friend? Then this may be the perfect quote to describe your relationship.
15. You’re like my favorite candy bar: half sweet and half nuts.
Everyone needs a nutty friend in his life. You can’t be serious all the time.
16. Thank you for being the cheese on the pizza of life.
Share this message with your best friend — unless you’re lactose intolerant.
17. Thank God I finally found someone who laughs at my jokes instead of giving me weird looks.
Do you consider yourself “weird?” Weird people need weird friends.
18. Thanks for laughing hysterically when I fall and telling me when I have mustard on my face. These are the signs of a true friend.
Good friends will also tell you when you are overreacting or when someone else is treating you poorly.
19. Thanks for sticking with me, even though your mom warned you to stay away from me.
Between you and your friend, which one is the bad influence?
20. Thank you for offering me free therapy for all these years. I couldn’t afford to stay this sane otherwise.
Share this sentiment with a friend who is a great listener and never judges you for your choices.
Sweet ‘Thank You’ Messages for a Friend
Who is your best friend? Is it the person you would create a best friend bucket list with or someone you complain to after a difficult day? Here are sweet messages to share with your best friend.
21. I am so thankful that you are in my life.
You don’t have to use flowery language to tell someone you care.
22. You are the best friend I’ve ever had.
You may feel as if your best friend is your soulmate.
23. Thank you for making the ordinary moments in life extraordinary.
Even the most mundane trip to the coffee shop can be fantastic if you go with the right person.
24. Life is better with you.
What person in your life puts a smile on your face?
25. There are no words to express how much I appreciate and value our friendship.
Perhaps you can’t find the perfect quote or the right adjective to describe your friendship.
Messages to Say ‘Thank You for Being a Friend During Hard Times'
Was your friend there for you during your cancer treatments, your divorce, or the death of your mom? A good friend shows support even when life throws you a curveball. Here are some phrases to use when thanking a friend.
26. I don’t know how I could have survived the last year without you. Thank you for being there for me.
You don’t have to list everything your friend has done for you. Simply thank your friend for being there.
27. Thank you for literally holding my hand during this challenging period in my life.
Your best friend knows the right way to calm you during a tumultuous time.
28. Even though I don’t always acknowledge you, I know you are right behind me, ready to catch me when I fall.
It’s always helpful knowing there’s someone behind you when you are teetering.
29. Thanks for being a ray of sunshine on cloudy days.
Everyone has bad days, so thank your friend for being there on those not-so-sunny days.
30. Thanks for having my back.
A good friend doesn’t gossip about you with other people.
Post-planning tip: If you are the executor for a deceased loved one, it can be tough to balance receiving sympathies and giving your thank you's with handling your loved one's unfinished business. We have a post-loss checklist that will help you ensure that your loved one's family, estate, and other affairs are taken care of.
Messages to Say ‘Thank You For Being a Friend’ Just Because
You shouldn’t need an occasion to say thank you for being a friend. Here are some ways to express gratitude — just because.
31. You’re the best.
It’s simple but says it all.
32. Thank you for walking through life with me.
Best friends are the people who want to hear about your trip to the grocery store or some other mundane task.
33. I am grateful that you are in my life.
A grateful person is a happy person.
34. I value and treasure our friendship.
If you truly treasure your friend, make sure you tell him or her periodically.
35. Thank you for being a friend.
Instead of just saying, “Thank you for being a friend,” you could sing the “Golden Girls” theme song to your bestie.
‘Thank You for Being a Friend’ Messages for a Friend’s Birthday
Are you struggling to know what to get a friend for a birthday? Gift-giving is sometimes tricky – especially when the person is particular or has everything they need. That’s why many people turn to gift cards, even if a gift card isn’t a particularly personal present.
We have an excellent idea of how to personalize your boring gift. Why not write a heartfelt letter to your friend, thanking them for their love, support, and encouragement through the years?
Sure, your friend may laugh at the gesture and roll their eyes – especially if they are people unused to showing emotion. However, your letter might be something they keep for the rest of their lives.
Here are some messages to write in a “thank you for being a friend” birthday message.
36. I couldn’t decide what to get you for your birthday. I can’t afford the types of gifts you deserve. So, instead, I decided to make a list of why you have been (and always will be) my best friend.
Finish with a long list of characteristics that make your loved one special.
37. Happy birthday, dear friend! I hope you realize that you are a blessing to many in this world! Thank you for being you!
You may not be the only person who is thankful for your friend.
38. I know I am supposed to give you a gift on your birthday. However, your friendship makes me feel that I have received the biggest and best gift! Thanks for being such an important part of my life!
Tell your friend what a gift their friendship has been to you.
39. I can’t wait to celebrate your birthday soon! Thanks for being such a fantastic friend!
Do you only have a minute to text your friend a birthday message? Use that minute to say something heartfelt to your friend.
Emotional or Heartfelt ‘Thank You for Being a Friend’ Messages
Many of the messages we have already crafted for this article could be considered heartfelt or emotional. After all, most people understand the value of a good friend.
Do you have little practice with sharing your emotions? Let us help.
40. My recent experience with cancer has inspired me to share my feelings with others. So, I wanted to let you know how much I have appreciated your friendship all these years. You’re the best friend anyone could ask for, and I love you!
Don’t be afraid to break out the “L” word when telling a friend how you feel.
41. I feel so fortunate that we found each other in fourth grade. I’m not sure how I would have survived my teen years without you. You are the sunshine in my life. Thanks for being there for me.
Celebrate old friendships, even if you aren’t as close as you once were.
42. Friends come and go – except for you. Thanks for being more than a Facebook friend!
You may have hundreds of Facebook friends, but how many of them would be there for you when a relationship falls apart, or a parent dies?
43. I’m sorry I haven’t been present lately. I know I have been horrible about returning texts and calls. I am also sorry I have backed out on plans several times at the last minute. Thank you for being patient with me and pretending that I hadn’t been the biggest jerk in the world when we finally hung out together. Thanks, friend! I have missed you!
Do you need to apologize for being a lousy friend lately? Here’s how to do it.
44. I was so scared when you were in the hospital with Covid. All I could focus on was that I had never told you how important you are to me. Thank you, friend, for being such an amazing, caring, fantastic, funny friend. I am so lucky to have you in my life.
Illnesses and serious accidents sometimes spur people into sharing their emotions with others.
‘Thank You for Being a Friend’ Messages for a Friend Who’s Moving Away
It’s easier now than ever to maintain a friendship with someone far away. However, friendships take work – no matter how far away you live from the other person. Here are some “thanks for being a friend” messages for someone moving to another city, state, or country.
45. I would like to say, “we’ll keep in touch.” However, we both know how these things go. So instead, I would like to thank you for being such a fantastic friend for the last three years. I will miss you, and I hope we can stay close.
A friend who is moving may hear many people offer the platitude, “we’ll stay in touch!” Stand out by being realistic about how difficult this can be and thank them for their friendship.
46. I’m going to miss you so much! I sent you a calendar appointment for a call every other Thursday morning so that we can stay in touch. I appreciate our friendship, and I want to keep it!
As we said earlier, friendship takes work. One way to maintain a friendship from afar is to schedule meetings in advance.
47. Seattle is lucky to get you! You are smart, wickedly funny, and gorgeous. Chicago won’t be the same without your shining presence! Thanks for lighting up our city for the past four years. We will miss you!
While this sentiment is too long to have printed on a cake, you can certainly write this thank you message in a card or letter.
48. You’re moving away, and that stinks. However, you won’t be able to get rid of me that easily. Thanks for being such a wonderful friend. I look forward to years of friendship to come.
Here’s another way to say, “we’ll stay in touch.”
‘Thank You for Being a Friend’ Messages for a Coworker
If your workplace feels intolerable when your favorite coworker is absent for the day, thank them for being a friend. Here are some things to say to turn a coworker into a friend.
49. You make this place bearable! Thank you for being the best coworker and friend a girl could have!
You may feel that it is you and your friend against the world. Here is one way to tell a coworker how much you appreciate their presence.
50. I am lucky to work with so many great people – people I am proud to call “friends.” Thank you, all, for making Smith and Smith a great place to work!
Do you have the opportunity to address all of your friends at work? You can send a general statement in an email or over Slack.
51. Work wasn’t the same when you were on vacation. My productivity went up, but I was a grumpy bear without you. Thanks for being such a good work companion! Promise you’ll never quit!
Send a text to your coworker so they know they are missed.
52. Thanks for picking up the slack when I was going through problems at home. You are more than a coworker – you are a great friend! I’ll be there for you if you need me!
Did your friend cover for you at work while you were going through a difficult time? Thank those people for their help and friendship.
53. Even though I understand why you are taking the job with Smith and Henson, I can’t help but be a little sad and disappointed. I’ll miss seeing you every day! You have become one of my closest friends.
One tricky thing about work friendships is that they sometimes fall apart when one of the friends leaves the workplace.
Long ‘Thank You for Being a Friend’ Messages to Share in a Letter or Card
Are you taking our advice and writing a lengthy card or letter to thank someone for being a friend? However, don’t just copy our words. Instead, write from the heart. Here’s some inspiration to help you get started.
54. I knew the first time I met you that we would be great friends! In fact, I could tell immediately by your reaction to the NKOTB song that came on the radio. Of course, that was just three years ago, but I feel like I have known you all my life.
You came into my life just when I needed you most. All of my college friends were married and were beginning to have kids. I hadn’t yet met Michael. I felt lonely in a new city. Thankfully, you took pity on me and invited me to some of your parties. You didn’t know it at the time, but I looked forward to those gatherings all week.
Thanks for being such a good friend to me when I needed one. I probably would have packed up and moved after the first month here if you hadn’t taken me under your wing.
Your friend may not know how much you appreciate their friendship. Let them know!
55. I know you are going through a difficult time right now, and I wish there were something I could do to take your pain away – but I can’t. I wanted to let you know I am proud of you for being so strong. Being the caretaker for a cancer patient is difficult, but you are a good daughter. Even though your mom can’t tell you that right now, I’m sure that’s how she feels.
I also wanted to tell you how much I appreciate your friendship. I know you feel bad that you couldn’t celebrate my birthday with me last week, but I completely understand. You’ll be my best friend forever – nothing can change that.
Busy schedules and important commitments complicate friendships. If you and your friend have been apart because of complex life events, reach out to them. Tell them you miss them and appreciate them.
Tell People They're Important to You
Tell the special people in your life that they are important to you. You never know when you will have another opportunity.