Are you wondering how to keep your thankfulness fresh? Your gratitude sounding genuine? When you have a life full — in either quantity or quality — of people worthy of thank you messages, you may fear that you’ll eventually sound like a broken record.
Jump ahead to these sections:
- How to Say ‘Thank You for Thinking of Me’ On Your Birthday
- How to Say ‘Thank You for Thinking of Me’ After a Surgery or Illness
- How to Say ‘Thank You for Thinking of Me’ for a Project or Professional Obligations
- How to Say ‘Thank You for Thinking of Me’ During the Holidays
- How to Say ‘Thank You for Thinking of Me’ After a Death
- How to Say ‘Thank You for Thinking of Me’ After Another Stressful Period
When someone does something as simple (yet powerful) as having you on their mind, it’s important to recognize this. So how do you do so time and time again? We’re here with many different ways to say “thank you for thinking of me.”
Whether you have a loved one or even a new friend who remembers your birthday, had someone stick by you during an illness, have your back at work, or think of you during the holidays, you’ll likely find a suitable suggestion below.
For more strenuous situations, such as losing someone close to you, remembering a death anniversary, or other stressful events, we have suggestions for these occasions as well. Feel free to personalize these messages as you see fit and use them as inspiration.
Post-planning tip: If you are the executor for a deceased loved one, you will be receiving many sympathy and support messages; handling them all plus the details of the loved one's unfinished business can be overwhelming. We have a post-loss checklist that will help you ensure that your loved one's family, estate, and other affairs are taken care of.
How to Say ‘Thank You for Thinking of Me’ On Your Birthday
For some of your birthdays, it may feel as though you’re in a whirlwind — you’re surrounded by people who love you, and that’s a beautiful thing. It’s essential to take the time to thank each and every person who makes you feel special or write them a short thank you note. It’s not only the right thing to do, but it’ll make them feel good that they made you feel good.
On the other hand, you may have birthdays that are far quieter. These can be just as special if you recognize the individuals in your life with the same appreciation.
1. “I’m so lucky you’re in my life and that you make me a priority. Thank you for all you’ve done!”
2. “I love you! You’ve made me feel so special today (and you do so every day).”
3. “I can’t believe I get to spend another birthday with you. I’m so grateful to be loved by you.”
4. “You really outdid yourself! Get ready for your birthday — I’m going to try to top everything you’ve done. This is an official warning.”
5. “Thank you so much for your sweet birthday message! It made me so happy to hear from you.”
6. “I know you’re probably going to yell at me for thanking you and being sappy, but hearing from you year after year always puts me in the best mood. Thank you for sticking around in my life!”
How to Say ‘Thank You for Thinking of Me’ After a Surgery or Illness
Spreading some gratitude while you recover can work wonders for your morale. Having people rally by you after a surgery or illness is an amazing blessing. You don’t have to write novels to each person who showed you they care, but a brief message can say quite a bit.
7. “Thank you for being there when I was so low — literally knocked out. You’re the best, I love you!”
8. “You were by my side when I quite likely could have gotten you sick, too. That means the world. Also, you’re a little crazy (in the best way).”
9. “I’m so thankful you took time away from your family to be with me during my surgery and recovery. I’m back on my feet, and confidently, because of you.”
10. “I know how valuable your time is, so it really meant so much that you were able to give me a call the other day.”
11. “Thank you so much for your get-well wishes — your words re-energized me right before a [physical therapy] appointment I was really dreading. I love you!”
12. “These past few months have been kind of a nightmare, but because of people like you, my health has improved by leaps and bounds. Thank you for taking the time to love me.”
How to Say ‘Thank You for Thinking of Me’ for a Project or Professional Obligations
In the workplace, true team players may be few and far between. If a colleague has gone above your expectations recently, take the time to recognize their contribution with a special message. Thanking people in person is important, too, but sharing a “thank you” in a card or even an email can mean a lot more.
13. “Thanks for having my back in that meeting. You really saved me in there. Expect a coffee and pastry on me sometime next week!”
14. “Your contribution to our last [project] was so valuable to me. It really made the whole thing come together. Thank you so much for being on my team!”
15. “Thank you for looping me into that [discussion] last week — it was really helpful in giving me some clarity. You rock!”
16. “Hey, superstar. No, for real. Thank you for all the little things you do to make my job easier.”
17. “I’m writing to express my gratitude for your attention to detail on my [project], I can tell how much thought and care went into it. You’re incredible!”
18. “I’m really grateful you’re on my team — you bring so much to the table, and your energy and attitude each day make it such a pleasure to work with you.”
How to Say ‘Thank You for Thinking of Me’ During the Holidays
The holidays can be especially busy for everyone. When someone goes out of his or her way to make you feel seen, recognize this. Though you may expect to hear from certain people during the holidays, it doesn’t lessen the significance of their well wishes.
19. “The holidays have been tough without [name(s)] here, but your card made it easy to smile. Can’t wait to see you soon!”
20. “Thank you for including me in your [holiday] meal. Your family’s company was exactly what I needed. You all are so lovely and I’m grateful to be your [neighbor]!”
21. “I received your card in the mail and your words meant the world to me! I’ll try to plan a visit to see you soon. I’m so grateful to have you in my life.”
22. “Thank you for remembering me with everything else going on in our lives right now. You reminded me to take a pause and take better care of myself.”
23. “It’s so hard to slow down during this time of year, but it meant so much to me to have our phone call the other day. Miss you so much! Let’s plan a trip soon!”
24. “Being invited to your holiday party was such a fun surprise! I’m so glad our friendship is growing and I can’t wait to catch up when things settle back down.”
How to Say ‘Thank You for Thinking of Me’ After a Death
When we go through one of the hardest, confusing parts of existence ( i.e., death), it may scare some people away. If you experience a death, even those closest to you may have a harder time reaching out for fear of saying or doing the wrong thing.
For the solid, dependable individuals who do show up for you, though, be sure to recognize them. These individuals may show they’re there for you either in person or through sympathy messages or sympathy gifts. Here’s how to thank them for thinking of you.
25. “Thank you for your thoughtful gift for my father’s passing. It’s been very tough without him, but people like you keep me going.”
26. “I really appreciate you bringing me dinner the other night. I haven’t been very into eating, but your home-cooked meal warmed me in more ways than one.”
27. “Thank you for not wavering with me during this time. You’ve been right there, whenever I’ve needed you, and it means the world and stars.”
28. “My family and I are really going through it, but your kind words and condolences were so beautifully delivered. We send our love.”
29. “I don’t know where I’d be without your support. I appreciate you showing up for me even when you live so far away. I will be eternally grateful.”
30. “The eulogy you wrote was unforgettable. Thank you for your bravery and for speaking for me when I just couldn’t bear it. I love you.”
How to Say ‘Thank You for Thinking of Me’ After Another Stressful Period
Finally, we’ll cover a few more ways to say “thank you for thinking of me” during generally stressful periods. The circumstances may vary in each case, and you can adjust these messages accordingly.
Sometimes when we’re under such stress, we forego not only our ability to think critically but also answer simple responsibilities, like saying thank you. Here’s what to say.
31. “Thank you for not letting my issues get in the way of you caring for me.”
32. “I’d be lost without you. Thank you for never leaving me.”
33. “You’re the greatest person I’ve ever met — I’m so lucky to have you in my corner.”
34. “I’m not sure what I did before I got you on my team. You keep me going, and thank you for loving me.”
35. “Thank you for always choosing kindness with me and for not holding back even when I’m distant. I love you so much!”
36. “I know I can be hard to deal with. You’re honestly a saint, and please know I won’t take you for granted.”
37. “Again, I’m so grateful that you were there during that horrific incident. It’s such a dark cloud for me and it probably will be for a long time, but you remind me that there’s light.”
38. “You’ve shown me yet again why you’re my day one. I love you, friend! Thank you for talking me through everything that’s happened.”
Just Say It
Especially in situations of high stress or high emotions, you may feel as though you’re not thinking clearly. However, when it comes to feeling grateful for your support system or the friends and loved ones that show up for you — don’t hold back.
Let them know how much they mean to you. We provided you with plenty of examples, but you know what’s in your heart. Say it. For more advice as well as end-of-life planning, check out the rest of Cake.