Do the words “thank you” seem shallow when you’re trying to express an abundance of gratitude to a friend? Although the words “thank you” can be said with meaning and sincerity, the phrase can sometimes seem overused.
Jump ahead to these sections:
- How to Say ‘Thank You for Your Encouragement’ to a Friend
- How to Say ‘Thank You for Your Encouragement’ to a Family Member or Partner
- How to Say ‘Thank You for Your Encouragement’ to a Boss or Coworker
- How to Say ‘Thank You for Your Encouragement’ to a Teacher or Mentor
- How to Say ‘Thank You for the Gift’ to a Company or Business
Here are some phrases to consider as you look for a way to thank the people in your life for being encouraging and supportive.
How to Say ‘Thank You for Your Encouragement’ to a Friend
As you sit to write a thank you note to a friend, you may struggle to come up with appropriate words. How do you say “thank you” to someone who encouraged you to open your business, get a degree, or take a chance on love? After all, the advice that your friend gifted you with could have changed your life for the better.
Here are some phrases you may consider using when writing your thank you note to someone who was encouraging to you.
1. Words can’t express how much I appreciate your support and encouragement.
If you can’t find strong enough words to thank a friend, tell him that. After all, the advice or help that your friend gave you may have changed your life for the better.
2. If it weren’t for you, I would still be...
Finish the phrase appropriately for your specific situation. For example, you may want to say that you would still be “with that boyfriend,” “working a job I hated,” “living with my parents,” or “renting in an unsafe neighborhood.”
3. I’ll forever be grateful for the encouragement you gave me when I needed it.
Was your friend your biggest cheerleader when you were going through cancer treatment? Perhaps he or she offered support when you were caring for a dying family member. Whatever the reason your friends were encouraging, make sure you thank them for their help.
4. I get by with a little help from my friends.
Joe Cocker and The Beatles were right. Everyone needs a little help from their friends. Before you think that this song is a brainless pop song, consider the following stanza:
“What do I do when my love is away?
Does it worry you to be alone?
How do I feel by the end of the day?
Are you sad because you’re on your own?”
Perhaps you received encouragement from a friend after a loved one died or after a divorce or breakup with a significant other.
5. It would be impossible to list all you have done to encourage me within the last year. Please know that I am forever grateful for your support.
Of course, even though it may be impossible to list all the details of how your friend has helped you, you should try to include a few of those specific highlights when writing your thank you note.
How to Say ‘Thank You for Your Encouragement’ to a Family Member or Partner
You may be quick to share thank you quotes for teachers, first responders, and hospital staff on your social media accounts, but when was the last time you thanked a close family member or spouse for helping you or showing support?
Write a note to those closest to you, thanking them for their encouragement, especially if you recently went through a tough time.
6. Even though you pledged your love “for better or for worse,” I know these last six months have been difficult on you. Thank you for your encouragement, love, and support.
When sharing messages of gratitude to your friends and neighbors, don’t forget to thank the love of your life. After all, you were probably able to put on a brave face in front of most of your friends, but you may not have been so stoic when interacting with your spouse.
7. You are truly a gift from God. Thank you for being such an important part of my life.
You may think that it was no accident that you and your significant other found each other. If you believe that your relationship is a gift, express thankfulness, and appreciation for it.
8. Even though I had many doubters, you believed in me. Thank you for encouraging me to work toward my dreams.
Sometimes it just takes a gentle nudge from the right person at the right time to give you the courage to believe in yourself.
9. I am the luckiest girl (guy) in the world to have found such an encouraging partner.
Not all of your close relationships may be encouraging. Give a shout out to your significant other if he or she always believed that you could achieve your dreams.
How to Say ‘Thank You for Your Encouragement’ to a Boss or Coworker
Have your boss or coworkers helped you through a tough time? Or perhaps someone in your office encouraged you to receive additional training, to earn your degree, or to try for a promotion or raise.
Tell your boss or coworker, “thank you for your support,” whether you are leaving your current job or just moving up the corporate ladder.
10. Thank you so much for putting your faith in me over the last several years. I wouldn’t be where I am today without your support and encouragement.
Give credit where credit is due. No one achieves great things in a vacuum.
11. Thank you for being such a good example at work. I’ve learned so much from you, and I appreciate the encouragement that you offered me when I first struggled to meet my quota.
No matter how much training or education you have received, you may have benefited the most from someone taking you under his wing and showing you the ropes. Thank that person for his help and encouragement on the job.
12. I am so thankful for having the most encouraging coworkers on the planet. Your help and support that you showed me while my mother was sick helped beyond all measure. Thank you so much.
Don’t forget to thank your coworkers for helping you with your job if illness causes you to miss a lot of work.
13. Please accept my thanks for all the encouragement you have given me over the years. I will fondly remember my time spent at Jones and McCormick.
Even if you are leaving a position for a better one, don’t burn any bridges. Thank your previous employer for offering you encouragement and training and leave with dignity and class.
Get weekly reminders to live life fully.
We'll send inspirational quotes directly to your inbox.
How to Say ‘Thank You for Your Encouragement’ to a Teacher or Mentor
Don’t wait for Teacher Appreciation Week to say thank you to your favorite teacher or mentor. Here are some phrases you can use when writing a note to someone who taught you everything you know.
14. Thank you for being such a great teacher. Your encouragement and support have been invaluable.
If you are lucky enough to have a great mentor or teacher, let the person know.
15. Although I’ve had many great teachers who have taught me the proper way to speak and write, you have given me the knowledge that I need to speak with confidence. How can I thank you for all that you have taught me?
A good teacher helps you hone your skills. A great teacher gives you the knowledge to help you apply them. Thank those great teachers and mentors that have been an important part of your life.
16. You need to know that you are making a difference in this world. Thank you for being an excellent teacher.
Sometimes teachers feel as if nothing is getting through. Let your teacher know that her words and actions made a difference in your life.
17. Thank you for all the support and encouragement you have given me over the years. I can’t thank you enough.
Receiving this note would make any teacher cry.
How to Say ‘Thank You for the Gift’ to a Company or Business
You may find yourself in a position to have to write a note to a company or business. You may or may not know the individuals who will be receiving this note, so remember to maintain a formal attitude, especially if you are representing your company or nonprofit group.
Whether you’re writing a thank you note for money or another show of support, you may consider sharing it on social media. Give a shout out to a company or business that showed you support.
18. The world would be a better place if there were more business leaders like you. Thank you for your encouragement and support.
Make sure you use the specific name of the person who donated to your cause. Check the spelling of his or her name before you post the thank you.
19. You have made a difference in our community! Thank you for supporting our cause.
You may also encourage your neighbors and friends to support the business if you post your thank you note on social media.
20. Thank you so much for the donation to support Relay for Life. We know this organization is dear to your heart, just as it is to ours.
There’s no need to name the specific amount of money that the business donated, but make sure you thank the people who supported your cause.
21. You have given me so much already in the form of encouragement and support. Thank you also for the lovely gift to commemorate my time with your company. I will miss seeing you all every day, but I look forward to making periodic visits.
There could be many reasons a company gives you a gift. Personalize your message appropriately.
22. Your willingness to support our cause is appreciated. Thank you for your donations and encouragement.
Thank the people in your life who offer support without complaint.
Thank You Notes Are Important
Your mom was right! Thank you notes are important. Even if your thank you note may not be written on formal stationery and sent through the mail, it is still nice to show your appreciation in some manner, even if it’s through a text.
Post-loss tip: If you are the executor for a deceased loved one, the emotional and technical aspects of handling their unfinished business can be overwhelming without a way to organize your process. We have a post-loss checklist that will help you ensure that your loved one's family, estate, and other affairs are taken care of.