Gratitude is the workhorse of self-improvement and a tool to keep any relationship you have in your life strong. Yes, you’ll probably have heard about the benefits of creating a daily or weekly gratitude list to keep you humble and the help you’ve had along the way. But the best way to cultivate and show gratitude is to share it with others.
Jump ahead to these sections:
- Thank You for Being a Friend Quotes
- Thank You Quotes for Your Parents
- Thank You Quotes for Veterans
- Thank You Quotes for After Your Wedding
- Thank You Quotes for Teachers
- Thank You Quotes for Birthday Wishes
- Thank You Quotes for Volunteers
- Thank You Quotes for Bosses
- Thank You for Your Sympathy Quotes
It can be a simple thank you note, a text message, a card in the mail, or even a post on social media. If you’re stumped or looking for words that can express what you’re feeling better than you can, here’s a list of suggested sayings and quotes.
Even using quotes about gratitude can show gratitude to the author themselves. It’s a win-win for everyone.
Thank You for Being a Friend Quotes
Friends show up for the birthday parties, hospital visits, and everything in-between. If you want to send them a thank-you card or a give them shout-out on social media, here are some great options.
1. “I get by with a little help from my friends.” — The Beatles, musicians
This famous Beatles song has been covered by so many different artists since the original version came out. Chief among those covers is the one by Joe Crocker that served as the main theme for the show The Wonder Years.
2. “There is nothing on this earth more to be prized than true friendship.” — Thomas Aquinas, priest
As both a Catholic priest and an Italian philosopher, Aquinas knew a lot about the value of true friendship. He is considered to be one of the foremost Western philosophers that aimed to marry Greek philosophy with Christianity.
3. “We must find time to stop and thank the people who make a difference in our lives.” — John F. Kennedy, president
Countless people helped launch Kennedy to his position as president. From his high school teachers to his parents and wife, he didn’t make a difference by flying solo.
4. “A friend is what the heart needs all the time.” — Henry Van Dyke, author
When holding our own emotions can be too much, having friends there to help you hold them can be a real blessing.
5. “But friendship is precious, not only in the shade, but in the sunshine of life, and thanks to a benevolent arrangement the greater part of life is sunshine.” — Thomas Jefferson, president
Jefferson was a writer, a violinist, a lawmaker, and on top of being a president. He was also keen on gardening, which likely influenced this metaphor.
Thank You Quotes for Your Parents
Did your parents provide much-needed guidance in your older years? Or help you through college? Or provide finances or support for your wedding? Maybe you just want to thank them for babysitting your kids, or giving you a solid home while growing up.
6. “It didn’t matter how big our house was; it mattered that there was love in it.” — Peter Buffett, musician
As the son of a famous billionaire Warren Buffett, he knew that the size of a house doesn’t always equal love.
7. “The most important thing in the world is family and love.” — John Wooden, basketball player
Wooden, nicknamed the ‘Wizard of Westwood’ was a basketball all-star. Even with such a lucrative career, he knew what mattered most to him.
8. “The family is one of nature’s masterpieces.” — George Santayana, philosopher
We don’t get to choose our family, but the sheer fact that they exist and love us for who we are can be unique and amazing when you think about it.
9.“All that I am or ever hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.” —Abraham Lincoln, president
Abraham Lincoln considered his mother Nancy to be one of the defining forces in his life, alongside his stepmother Sarah who stepped in after Nancy’s untimely death when Lincoln was only nine.
10. “Family is the most important thing in the world.” — Princess Diana, English royal
Before her tragic death, Princess Diana of Wales was noted in the press for her warmth and dedication toward her two sons, on top of the amazing works of charity she produced as a result of her position in UK royalty.
Thank You Quotes for Veterans
Thanking veterans shouldn’t be saved for just the Fourth of July or Memorial Day. Find a way to say thanks to those who served with these quotes.
11. “The soldier is the army. No army is better than its soldiers. The soldier is also a citizen. In fact, the highest obligation and privilege of citizenship is that of bearing arms for one’s country.” — George Patton, general
As a major commander during World War II, Patton relied upon the strength of his soldiers and took pains to re-energize them with strong and inspirational words.
12. “Who kept the faith and fought the fight; The glory theirs, the duty ours.” — Wallace Bruce, author
One of many things about being a veteran is that their courage and glory are often remembered, but the glory is for citizens to celebrate rather than veterans.
13. “Honor to the soldier and sailor everywhere, who bravely bears his country’s cause. Honor, also, to the citizen who cares for his brother in the field and serves, as he best can, the same cause.” — Abraham Lincoln, president
This is perfect to include in a card for a medic. During the Civil War, when Lincoln was president, medics were just as important as field soldiers.
14. “The brave die never, though they sleep in dust: Their courage nerves a thousand living men.” — Minot J. Savage, author
If you’re trying to combine a thank-you note and a condolence card for a veteran’s family, this quote can hit the right tone with a combination of legacy and respect.
15. “If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.” — John Quincy Adams, president
Adams was the son of a former U.S. president and founding father, John Adams. By witnessing the birth and growing pains of a new nation, Adams was in a unique place to provide long-lasting and enduring leadership.
Thank You Quotes for After Your Wedding
So many people come together to pull off your wedding. After the big event, you’ve got a lot of thank you cards to send!
16. “Finding the love of a lifetime is made possible when one has already experienced a lifetime’s worth of love. Thank you to our friends and family without whom this day would never be possible.” — Christy Murphy, artist
Murphy’s quote highlights the most important thing about a wedding, which is a celebration of love between two people. These words can provide a touch of warmth when you send out your cards.
17. “How beautiful a day can be when kindness touches it!” — George Elliston, author
A wedding can be one of the most special days of your life. Experiencing the effusive kindness and love that you get as a newlywed can give you a sense of cheer even when you’re feeling down.
18. “We can only be said to be alive in those moments when our hearts are conscious of our treasures.” — Thornton Wilder, playwright
Many of Wilder’s plays are tied together by the same theme—what is important to us now? What will be important to us in our future life?
19. “It is such a happiness when good people get together — and they always do.” — Jane Austen, Author
As a social and economic endeavor, lots of Jane Austen’s books revolve around the value of marriage. This quote expresses the unerring fate that the right people will come together.
20. “Family means no one gets left behind or forgotten.” — David Ogden Stiers, actor
Stiers gets the credit for this quote, but it might sound like the line from the famous Disney money Lilo and Stitch to you.
Thank You Quotes for Teachers
Teachers are responsible, just as much as parents are, for impacting young children.
21. “A teacher is a compass that activates the magnets of curiosity, knowledge, and wisdom in the pupils.” — Ever Garrison, Author
Giving this quote to a great teacher in your life or your child’s life can be a really kind way to show how much you appreciate their work and drive for teaching.
22. “It takes a big heart to help shape little minds. Teaching is the greatest act of optimism.” — Colleen Wilcox, educator
Teachers are always seen as the hardest working heroes in a child’s life, as they dedicate not only their time, but their hearts and minds to the task of educating the next generation.
23. “Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.” — Nelson Mandela, Activists
Activists like Nelson Mandela are acutely aware of the mobility that education gives to students. Mandela and other activists like him consider education to be the most persistent tool to fight oppression.
24. A teacher affects eternity: he can never tell where his influence stops.” — Henry Adams, historian
If you had a favorite teacher throughout your school years, you carry their message of hope and lessons with you. Consider it the never-ending gift.
25. “In the face of impossible odds, people who love this country can change it.” —Barack Obama, President
Being an educator can be difficult. In the face of budget cuts and populated classrooms, it can be hard to believe you can make a difference. But all it takes is a smile and a thank you note from your students to keep you pushing forth.
Thank You Quotes for Birthday Wishes
To thank someone for a birthday card, it’s safe to go for a lighthearted approach that might not be appropriate for other cards.
26. “I feel a very unusual sensation—if it is not indigestion, I think it must be gratitude.” — Benjamin Disraeli, British prime minister
Count on that good ol’ British stodginess to make us laugh when it comes to saying thanks.
27. “God gave us our relatives; thank God we can choose our friends.” — Ethel Watts Mumford, author
We are born into families, but we aren’t born with friends. Taking solace in the ability to choose and keep the friends that support us and vice versa is especially nice.
28. “Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless.” — Mother Teresa, activist
You don’t have to make a grand gesture, but by showing consistent kindness and encouragement, you can make a bigger impact.
29. “The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the grandest intention.” — Oscar Wilde, author
The point of this quote lies in the fact that action will always matter more than the best thoughts or intentions. Our friends and loved ones only see what we do, not what we think. So go out there and show your kindness and gratitude.
30. “Let us be thankful for the fools. But for them, the rest of us could not succeed.” — Mark Twain, Author
This is a tongue-in-cheek quote to send back to a friend with a great sense of humor.
Thank You Quotes for Volunteers
Volunteer work helps keep us going. Whether you’re thanking someone for helping you clean up your community, or sending funeral thank you cards, here are some great quotes.
31. “When we give cheerfully and accept gratefully, everyone is blessed.” — Maya Angelou, author
There’s a saying that ‘God loves a cheerful giver.’ Whether you’re religious or not, this quote holds true.
32. “Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see.” — Mark Twain, author
Kindness is a universal language, one that bridges cultural, religious, and social barriers.
33. “When I started counting my blessings, my whole life turned around.” — Willie Nelson, singer
Willie Nelson’s quote gives credence to the power of showing gratitude by infusing our lives with kindness and the ability to understand how lucky we all are in our own way.
34. “Let us be kinder to one another.” — Aldous Huxley, writer
A little kindness makes the world a much softer, gentler place.
35. “Saying thank you is more than good manners, it is good spirituality.” — Alfred Painter, professor
When it comes to showing gratitude, it’s all about connecting with our fellow human beings.
Thank You Quotes for Bosses
A boss can make or break a job, even if it’s in your dream field. When you get a stellar boss, you want to find ways to show them how much they matter and how good they are at leading a team.
36. “The growth and development of people is the highest calling of leadership.” — Harvey S. Firestone, businessman
As an entrepreneur, Firestone knew how to guide people and lead them with strong business values.
37. “A good manager is a man who isn’t worried about his own career but rather the careers of those who work for him.” — H. S. M. Burns, businessman
Being a manager is like juggling a lot of balls in the air, but when you add the importance of guiding other careers, it becomes infinitely more important.
38. “It’s easy to make a buck. It’s a lot tougher to make a difference.” –Tom Brokaw, journalist
Brokaw highlights the calling of many journalists in this simple quote. Those who want to make money could go elsewhere. The conviction of journalists lies firmly in the interest of wanting to change the world and make it a better place.
39. “A leader is a dealer in hope.” — Napoleon Bonaparte, general
Bonaparte rallied his armies against hard odds, which left him with a legacy larger than his own height.
40. “A good boss makes his men realize they have more ability than they think they have so that they consistently do better work than they thought they could.” — Charles Erwin Wilson, U.S. Secretary of Defense
Before his work in the Department of Defense, Wilson was the president and CEO of General Motors. As a boss, he managed men through not only economic growth but existential hardship during the 1950s.
Thank You for Your Sympathy Quotes
You could use these to respond to condolence notes, or as thank-you notes to a doctor.
41. “As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them.” — John F. Kennedy, president
Kennedy was known as an inspirational president, one that accomplished a lot during a turbulent and short period.
42. “Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well.” — Voltaire, philosopher
The philosopher and writer Voltaire’s take on gratitude was simple—appreciation makes other people’s virtues a part of our lives in the end.
43. “Let us be grateful to the people who make us happy; they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom.” — Marcel Proust, author
Proust was an influential writer at the turn of the 20th century who was also known for writing what is considered to be the world’s longest novel, In Search of Lost Time. Given his ability to write such a long but powerful literary work, he definitely sought happiness through his friends and family.
44. “The greatest gift of life is friendship, and I have received it.” – Hubert H. Humphrey, vice president
As the vice president of the historically difficult Lyndon B. Johnson, Humphrey sought ease in friendship when he faced riots due to the unpopular Vietnam War.
45. “Friendship isn’t about who you’ve known the longest; it’s about who came and never left your side.” – Yolanda Hadid, TV personality
Time sounds like the most important indicator of friendship, but you can often pinpoint those who are true to you when life gets tough and you need a shoulder.
If it takes you a while to send thank-you notes, it happens to the best of us. Life throws a lot of curveballs our way, no matter if its grief, exhaustion, or even a case of having writer’s block.
Consider these quotes as a guide to help you make the most of giving thanks.
- USC School of Social Work. “25 Military Appreciation Month Quotes That Will Inspire You.” 19 May 2017. dworakpeck.usc.edu/news/25-military-appreciation-month-quotes-will-inspire-you
- Baruch College. “Quotable Quotes on Friendship.” n.d., blogs.baruch.cuny.edu/overcomingadversity/quotable-quotes/quotable-quotes-on-friendship/
- Saint Leo University. “10 Inspiring Quotes on Expressing Gratitude.” 21 November 2016, www.saintleo.edu/blog/10-inspiring-quotes-about-expressing-gratitude
- Baruch College. “Quotes on Appreciation and Gratitude.” n.d., blogs.baruch.cuny.edu/overcomingadversity/quotable-quotes/quotesonappreciationandgratitude/
- Xavier University. “Gratitude Quotes.” n.d., www.xavier.edu/jesuitresource/online-resources/quote-archive1/gratitude
- Patrick Henry College. “13 Friendship Quotes You’ll Want to Send to Your Best Friend Right Now.” 16 March 2018, www.phc.edu/teencampsblog/03142018-13-friendship-quotes-send-bff-right-now