Being told that you’re on someone’s mind can be a great feeling. In turn, telling someone that they’re on your mind can feel great, too. However, is it sometimes difficult to figure out the right words to say? We get it.
Being vulnerable can be scary. You want the person to be comforted by your message and not feel obligated to drop everything to visit you or outdo your gesture.
Jump ahead to these sections:
- ‘Thinking of You’ Messages for a Friend
- ‘Thinking of You’ Messages for a Family Member
- ‘Thinking of You’ Messages for a Partner or Spouse
- ‘Thinking of You’ Messages for a Sick Loved One
- Short ‘Thinking of You’ Messages for Flowers or a Card
It’s likely that you have a few different “circles” of individuals that you’d like to connect with, and it’s expected it won’t always be under happy circumstances. Below, we’ve outlined some message ideas for your friends, family members, your partner or spouse, a sick loved one, as well as sympathy messages to include with flowers or a card.
Feel free to customize these messages and personalize them as you see fit.
Post-loss tip: If you are the executor for a deceased loved one, you may be receiving many of these messages yourself. Handling things like this as well as your loved one's unfinished business can be overwhelming without a way to organize your process. We have a post-loss checklist that will help you ensure that your loved one's family, estate, and other affairs are taken care of.
‘Thinking of You’ Messages for a Friend
Friends may come and go. You may still care deeply about a friend from your past, but you hardly ever see him or her. Sending a short, caring message can easily make their day. If you feel compelled, you should always roll with it.
Here are some "thinking of you" messages for a friend:
1. “Hey! Just wanted to let you know I’m thinking of you and hope you’re doing well. I miss you!”
2. “You know that thing about “You won’t know they’re the good ol’ days till they’re gone”? Yeah. We were in the good ol’ days. Miss you tons!”
3. “I came across our yearbook the other day and your message made me laugh (again). I really hope you’re doing well! If you’re ever in town, we should catch up.”
4. “Just wanted to let you know I miss you dearly. I love you, and hope we can catch up soon.”
5. “I thought of our [inside joke] the other day at work and tried to explain it to everyone. No one got it. Oh well, I wanted to let you know I miss you and I’m praying for you!”
6. “Hey, dude. Miss you so much. You better be taking time for yourself, OK? This is your official warning. Anyway, I hope to talk to you soon.”
7. “I thought of you this morning and wanted to let you know. I hope you do something fun and treat yourself today! You deserve it!”
8. “Hey, lovely! Just dropping by to say I miss you and I really hope we can plan a reunion soon. I know we’re both crazy busy, but I’m sure we’ll make it work!”
9. “Hi! I miss you! Just wanted to let you know I’ve been thinking of you lately and hope you’re doing well.”
10. “I’ve been missing you lately. I really hope all is well. I love you, friend! Can’t wait to catch up soon!”
11. “I miss your face. I hope you have a fantastic day and I love you so much! Never forget it!”
‘Thinking of You’ Messages for a Family Member
Every family can have a different dynamic (and one that’s constantly changing, for that matter). You may not see members of your family for months, if not years, at a time, and short messages every now and then can make a world of difference to keep in touch.
Here are some "thinking of you" messages for a family member:
12. “Miss you! I hope you’re all doing well over in [Florida] and that the weather is treating you nicely!”
13. “I can’t wait to see you over the holidays this year! I was thinking of you this morning and I just wanted to let you know. Love you!”
14. “Hey, bum. Just kidding. Love you. I wanted to let you know I was thinking of you and that I hope you’re doing well! Talk soon?”
15. “I miss you and love you tons! I can’t wait to see you soon!”
16. “I’m sitting in crazy traffic right now and wanted to text you. Hope the traffic by you isn’t too bad today. Have a great day at work! Love you!”
17. “Hey, kiddo. I’ve been thinking of you. Hope you’re doing well and we can maybe talk soon. Love you so much!”
18. “Just dropping by to tell you I miss you! Let me know if there’s anything I can be praying about for you. Love you.”
19. “Hi, letting you know I love you and I’m thinking of you. You better be getting enough sleep and not breaking any rules. Just kidding. Hope you’re having fun. Live it up, kid.”
20. “I just wanted to reach out and say I’m thinking of you! I hope you and everyone up there are doing well! Love you all!”
21. “Wanted to let you know you’re on my mind. I’m so proud of you. Really, I am. Love you and can’t wait to see you soon.”
22. “Hey, just checking in. I’m letting you know I’m thinking of you and love you (yada, yada) and I hope things aren’t too crazy right now. But really, I love you.”
‘Thinking of You’ Messages for a Partner or Spouse
When it comes to letting your partner or spouse feel seen and appreciated, it often comes down to the little things. If you both have hectic schedules or are even long-distance on occasion, or, perhaps, you’re inseparable, a “thinking of you” message can still have a huge impact.
Here are some "thinking of you" messages for a partner or spouse:
23. “Hey. You’re amazing. I don’t tell you enough. I’m going to work on that, so here’s my first attempt. I love you.”
24. “You look beautiful today. I don’t have to see you to know. Love you, and see you tonight!”
25. “Hey, best friend! I’m so lucky to wake up to you every day. Have a great day at work!”
26. “You’re cute. Hope you still like me as much as I like you. See you later!”
27. “Don’t forget to kick butt today! I know you can do it, you can do anything you set your mind to. I love you!”
28. “I miss you already. I miss the fact that I couldn’t see you roll your eyes when you read this. See you tonight, love you.”
29. “I’m looking forward to tonight! Thank you for making me feel special after all these years.”
30. “I love you more every day. I hope you have a good one. I’ll see you soon.”
31. “I can’t wait to see you later! I’ll be thinking of you all day. My work can suffer, I don’t care. Love you!”
32. “Drive safe! Try not to road rage too bad. Kidding. Use your horn. See you tonight, love you!”
33. “I don’t tell you I love you enough and how special you are to me. I appreciate all you do so much.”
Get weekly reminders to live life fully.
We'll send inspirational quotes directly to your inbox.
‘Thinking of You’ Messages for a Sick Loved One
Even if you can’t run to the aid of a sick loved one, sending a care package and genuine get-well wishes will likely be appreciated just as much if not even more. Your loved one will understand that you can’t drop everything to be with them, and it’s the thought behind your message that counts. Here are some more encouraging messages to share when someone is sick.
34. “Hey, heard you were under the weather. I’ll be thinking of you and praying for you. I hope you get well soon, I love you!”
35. “You better be taking it easy. I’m serious. You’re lucky I can’t come down there. Kidding. I love you and hope you feel better soon!”
36. “I’m sorry to hear you’re not feeling well. You’ll kick this thing’s butt! Get plenty of rest and fluids (I know you know). Love you!”
37. “Your sickness is the one who should be scared, honestly. Hope you feel better soon. Love you. You’re a tough cookie.”
38. “Just wanted to let you know I love you. When you feel better, we’ll have to have a reunion. In the meantime, I’ll be praying for you!
39. “I know being sick isn’t fun, but you deserve some rest. I hope you’re catching up on some shows and movies. I love you, hope we can talk soon!”
40. “Praying you feel better soon. I love you! Can’t wait to see you over the holidays!”
41. “In case you’ve forgotten, you’re the strongest person I know. I know you’ll be back to your best self soon! Love you!”
42. “I hope you feel better soon so you can get back to doing all your favorite things! Love you so much!”
43. “Rumor has it you’re not feeling well. Not fair. I hope you feel better soon! I know you’ll kick this!”
44. “Hey, I just wanted to let you know I’m thinking of you — hope you feel better soon! I’d hate to not see you over the holidays! Please focus on getting better!”
Short ‘Thinking of You’ Messages for Flowers or a Card
Here are some "thinking of you" messages to include with flowers or a card:
45. “I hope these find you doing well. Just wanted to let you know I’m thinking of you during this difficult time.”
46. “I’m thinking of you. It may not seem like things will get easier, but they will. I promise you. Let me know if you ever need anything.”
47. “Letting you know that I love you and I’m thinking of you. I hope these flowers remind you how special you are!”
48. “Reminding you just how beautiful and loved you are! I miss you, and wanted to let you know I think about you all the time.”
49. “Just wanted to let you know how much I miss you and that I love you. No matter what. I mean it. Hope you have a great day!”
50. “This is just a small way to say how grateful I am to have you in my life. I know I don’t say it enough. Thanks for everything.”
51. “Sending you this to remind you that your hard work WILL pay off. I love you, and you’re doing amazing things, even if it doesn’t feel like it right now. Trust the process.”
52. “You’re amazing, smart, funny, kind, and so much more. Thank you for existing. I just wanted to send a little something to show I was thinking of you.”
53. “My thoughts and prayers are with you during this difficult time. Healing will come, little by little. I pray that you realize this. You have such beautiful strength, and I know you’ll use it wisely.”
54. “There’s no way that you can get through everything that’s being thrown at you right now. I know you’ll emerge that much stronger and braver. I love you.”
55. “Letting you know that you’re on my mind and I love you! Can’t wait to see you soon!”
Life Is Too Precious to Hold Back
So, did you just write out a message (or are staring at it “delivered” in a chat window) and think you came on a little strong? So what. Life is too precious to hold back your thoughts of love and appreciation.
More often than not, the recipient of your message really needed to hear it and will be pleasantly surprised to hear from you.