Everyone has a favorite uncle. He’s the one who supports all of your decisions, regardless of your parents’ opinions. He’s the one who loves to tease and give you a hard time and makes your family reunions much more entertaining.
Jump ahead to these sections:
- Uncle and Nephew Quotes
- Uncle and Niece Quotes
- Quotes for Your Uncle’s Birthday or Celebration
- ‘RIP’ Quotes for Your Uncle’s Funeral
- Funny Quotes About Uncles
- Quotes About Missing Your Uncle
How do you show your uncle that you love him? You could bake him his favorite cookies or spend time together doing his favorite activity. You could also plan a surprise party for him or create a perfect playlist of his favorite songs.
A simple way to show affection is to share poignant quotes about the importance of family. Here are some quotes to consider.
Uncle and Nephew Quotes
Did your uncle show you how to tie a half-Windsor? Teach you how to drive a boat? If your uncle was (or is) an integral part of your childhood, give him a pat on the back. Here are some quotes to share on his social media page or on his birthday card.
1. “The aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, drunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.” — Henry Miller
Does this quote describe how your uncle lives his life? Celebrate the man who lives life to the fullest.
2. “Wanderer, there is no path, the path is made by walking.” — Antonio Machado
Your parents may criticize your uncle’s lack of a plan, but you may celebrate it. Share this quote with an uncle who forges his own path.
3. “People have a way of becoming what you encourage them to be — not what you nag them to be.” — Scudder N. Parker
Give a shoutout to your uncle if he encouraged instead of nagged you. Perhaps you are where you are because of your uncle.
4. “A great man shows his greatness by the way he treats little men.” — Thomas Carlyle
In this quote, you can define “little men” as “nephews.” Some men ignore kids but awesome uncles treat them like kings.
Uncle and Niece Quotes
It’s not just nephews who have favorite uncles. Nieces do as well. Here are some encouraging quotes about this important man.
5. “Do one thing every day that scares you.” — Eleanor Roosevelt
Did your uncle encourage you to live life on the edge? This tends to be an uncle’s duty — not your parents’. If you follow your parents and your uncles’ advice, you might live a balanced life.
6. “It’s easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.” — Grace Hopper
Did your uncle teach you this secret of life? It’s valuable advice.
7. “You can tell your uncle stuff that you could not tell your dad. That is kind of the role of an uncle. I feel very much like a father sometimes but sometimes I feel like a teammate.” — Dusty Baker
Is your uncle more of a teammate than a coach? Do you share things with him that you wouldn’t share with your dad? Let him know how much you appreciate your relationship.
8. “Our chief want is someone who will inspire us to be what we know we could be.” — Ralph Waldo Emerson
You may enjoy reading some of Ralph Waldo Emerson’s poetry, as well as these short poems about uncles.
Quotes for Your Uncle’s Birthday or Celebration
Is it time to celebrate your uncle’s birthday? Bake a cake and buy some balloons! Share some of these quotes with your favorite uncle.
9. “You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm.” — Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
Is he your favorite uncle for this very reason? Foolish people are often the most fun.
10. “When I walk into a room, I know that everyone in it loves me. I just don’t expect them to realize it yet.” — Byron Katie
Does this describe your uncle’s personality? Share this with a gregarious uncle who doesn’t know a stranger.
11. “When we are born we cry that we are come to this great stage of fools.” — William Shakespeare
Does your uncle share this philosophy? We can still celebrate the day that your uncle joined the “great stage.”
12. “No man can become rich without himself enriching others.” — Andrew Carnegie
Does your uncle enrich your life and the life of others? Share this quote with your uncle, who may be rich in giving spirit.
‘RIP’ Quotes for Your Uncle’s Funeral
Do you have the unhappy task of writing a eulogy for your uncle? You may be sad to lose your uncle but writing the eulogy is one final gift that you can give to him. Here are some quotes that may reflect the type of life your uncle lived.
13. “My work is loving the world.” — Mary Oliver
How lucky you are if your uncle was a person who lived by this philosophy.
14. “Grief is the price we pay for love.” — Dr. Colin Murray Parkes
You may see grief as a negative, but since you can’t have sorrow without love, you may be giving grief a bad rap.
15. “Goodbyes are only for those who love with their eyes. Because for those who love with heart and soul, there is no such thing as separation.” — Rumi
Do you feel like your uncle is still a part of your life even though he has passed away? This quote reflects that idea.
16. “How lucky am I to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.” — A.A. Milne
A.A. Milne was famous for bringing Pooh into the hearts of many. These words reflect what you may feel about losing someone you love.
Funny Quotes About Uncles
We bet your favorite uncle is your most entertaining uncle. Here are some quotes about that person who can always make you laugh.
17. “There is a black sheep in every flock.” — Proverb
Is your uncle the black sheep in your family? He might celebrate the title — just like you do.
18. “One would be in less danger from the wiles of a stranger if one’s own kin and kith were more fun to be with.” — Ogden Nash
Your uncle is keeping you safe from stranger danger by being a fun guy. Nash was a prolific, humorous poet.
19. “No family is complete without an embarrassing uncle.” — Peter Morgan
Tell your uncle that your family wouldn’t be complete without him and share this quote.
20. “Everyone had an uncle who tried to steal their nose.” — Peter Kay
As soon as you read this quote, you’re probably laughing. Your uncle may have also shown you how he could remove his finger from his hand.
21. “I certainly have many, many uncles … Their maturity level is still hovering around 15 when they all get together.” — Martha MacIsaac
Doesn’t this accurately describe a gathering of uncles all across the world?
22. “Funcle: Like a dad, only cooler.” — Unknown
You can find a shirt for your favorite uncle that says this.
Quotes About Missing Your Uncle
Unfortunately, you may be missing your uncle right now. You may be separated from him because you live far apart. Maybe your uncle passed away and you miss him on another level. Here are some quotes about missing your uncle.
23. “Fate chooses your relatives, you choose your friends.” — Jacques Delille
This quote deserves some explanation. If you consider your uncle to be a friend, you’re doubly blessed. Fate gifted you with that relationship and you chose to make the most of it.
24. “An uncle is a blessing. It means so many things. Words could never tell the joy an uncle brings. An uncle is a bond of faith that even time can’t sever, a gift to last all of our lives. An uncle is forever.” — Irene Banks
Even if your uncle has passed away, he will forever live in your memories and heart.
25. “Nothing makes a room feel emptier than wanting someone in it.” — Calla Quinn
Are your family reunions less fun without your uncle around? A special uncle fills up a room.
26. “You may be out of my sight but never out of my mind.” — Unknown
Does this describe the relationship you had with your uncle?
Uncles Deserve the Best Quotes
Maybe your uncle wasn’t a wild and crazy guy and instead, a stabilizing force that you craved. Maybe your uncle supported you when no one else in your family would. Or maybe your uncle was special because he taught you a particular skill or hobby that you enjoy.
Finding quotes specifically about uncles may be difficult but consider finding quotes about a particular characteristic that made your uncle special.