Losing a loved one can be devastating, but it loses some of its sting if you know that you will meet your loved one again in the afterlife. That’s one reason we compiled a list of quotes about reuniting or quotes that say “until we meet again.”
Jump ahead to these sections:
- ‘Until We Meet Again’ Quotes for a Funeral or Memorial Service
- ‘Until We Meet Again’ Quotes That Say Goodbye
- Short ‘Until We Meet Again’ Quotes for a Tattoo or Memorial Card
- ‘Until We Meet Again’ Quotes About Heaven
Consider using some of these quotes to print in a funeral program or write in a sympathy card. Many of them are religious in nature and refer to meeting loved ones in heaven. You could also consider using some of them as a memorial tattoo.
Regardless of how you use these quotes, we hope that they offer you comfort as you grieve the loss of a loved one.
‘Until We Meet Again’ Quotes for a Funeral or Memorial Service
Are you looking for a unique way to say goodbye? Here are some quotes that may articulate the exact message you wish to convey. You could use these in the text of your loved one’s eulogy or on the headstone.
1. “Perhaps death doesn’t mean goodbye, but rather, till we meet again.” — Paul Stefaniak
It’s much more comforting to think about how the separation from your loved one is temporary rather than permanent. Paul Stefaniak is an author who has written a great deal about spirituality and the afterlife.
2. “Death is kinder than life. There is no more suffering beyond the grave. We will meet again soon, I hope.” — Jennifer Worth
If you recently lost someone who suffered from a long illness, you may have two thoughts that give you solace. The first is that your loved one is no longer hurting. The second thought that may provide you with comfort is that you will meet again in the afterlife.
3. “The grave is but the threshold of eternity. What a world were this, how unendurable its weight, If they whom death hath sundered, did not meet again!” — Robert Southey
Robert Southey was an English romantic poet. His most famous story was the original version of “Goldilocks and the Three Bears.”
4. “And like that, I said goodbye to my grandmother like we were two people who met in a coffee shop, shared a lifetime of stories and left wanting more, but knowing we’d meet there again.” — Darnell Lamont Walker
This quote may help those of you who aren’t able to wrap your head around the idea of an afterlife. If you cannot envision heaven and all its glories, you may instead think of it as a comforting place, such as a favorite coffee shop.
5. “Goodbyes are not forever, are not the end; it simply means ‘I’ll miss you,’ until we meet again.” —- Unknown
This poem/quote would be perfect to use in the text of your eulogy or the funeral program. It could also be used on the headstone of your loved one.
‘Until We Meet Again’ Quotes That Say Goodbye
Many famous quotes say goodbye, but many don’t imply that the parties will someday reunite. Here are some that do both.
6. “I go now to my long rest in the timeless halls beyond the seas and the Mountains of Aman. It will be long ere I am seen among the Noldor again; and it may be that we shall not meet a second time in death or life, for the fates of our kindreds are apart. Farewell!” — J.R.R. Tolkien
J.R.R. Tolkien’s son published some of his father’s stories posthumously in a book called “The Silmarillion.” This quote takes on a deeper meaning when we know that it was published after the famous author died.
7. “Gone some few, trifling steps ahead, And nearer to the end; So that you, too, once past the bend, Shall meet again, as face to face, this friend.” — Robert Louis Stevenson
Robert Louis Stevenson’s most famous work was “Treasure Island.”
8. “No amount of time and space can separate you from the people you are meant to be with in your life.” — Unknown
You may feel that the connection you had with your loved one will live on after their death. You may feel that the relationship is eternal.
9. “How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.” — A.A. Milne
Even if you know that you will meet your loved one again in the afterlife, you will still grieve not being with them on earth. A.A. Milne gives a positive spin on saying goodbye with this quote.
10. “You and I will meet again, When we’re least expecting it, One day in some far off place, I will recognize your face, I won’t say goodbye my friend, for you and I will meet again.” — Tom Petty
These are lyrics from the song “You and I Will Meet Again,” which was released in 1991.
Get weekly reminders to live life fully.
We'll send inspirational quotes directly to your inbox.
Short ‘Until We Meet Again’ Quotes for a Tattoo or Memorial Card
Finding the right words for a tattoo may be difficult. After all, live with them forever. Perhaps consider these messages if you are thinking about getting a memorial tattoo.
11. “I’ll see you on the other side of the stars.” — Unknown
Instead of tattooing the full name of the person you lost, you may think about using just their initials. This is a quote that can be used to help you (and others) get through the death of a friend.
12. “Happy trails to you, until we meet again.” — Roy Rogers and Dale Evans
Roy Rogers and Dale Evans signed off each of their programs by singing their signature song that included this line. Western graphics could accompany this tattoo.
13. “Your lost friends are not dead, but gone before / Advanced a stage or two upon that road / Which you must travel in the steps they trod.” — Aristophanes
There are many quotes about loved ones being just “around the bend” from the living. Consider this one by the Greek playwright Aristophanes.
14. “In the garden of memory, in the palace of dreams... that is where you and I shall meet.” — Lewis Carroll
Some prefer to think of reuniting with their loved ones in their memories and dreams, as described here by the author of “Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland.”
15. “If there ever comes a day when we can’t be together, keep me in your heart. I’ll stay there forever.” — A.A. Milne
A.A. Milne, the creator of Winnie the Pooh (and friends), has a lot to say about life and death and everything in between. While this quote does not imply the existence of an afterlife, it reminds us that our loved ones are forever in our hearts.
‘Until We Meet Again’ Quotes About Heaven
While some of these quotes come directly from the Bible, others come from those who have written about spirituality and the afterlife.
16. “Through Christ, the sting of death is but a gentle pinch to the soul; and the mourn is light. Perhaps, someday, in that glorious place, free of sin, we shall meet again.” — Criss Jami
We’ve never heard death described as a “gentle pinch to the soul,” but it is a comforting way to describe it. This description is especially true for those who believe in the Christian afterlife.
17. “O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?” 1 Corinthians 15:55
The promise of a heavenly afterlife can be found throughout the Bible. Read more about it in this section of 1 Corinthians.
18. “I am waiting for you, for an interval, somewhere very near just around the corner. All is well.” — Henry Scott Holland
When you think about your loved one who has died, it may be comforting to think about your loved one waiting around the corner for you.
19. “Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in me. In my Father’s house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also.” John 14:1-4
When Thomas asks how to get to his father’s house, Jesus says, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the father except through me.”
20. “I’ll hold you in my heart until I hold you in heaven.” — Unknown
Those who face the end of their lives often look forward to being reunited with those who have gone before.
It’s Hard to Say Goodbye
You are not alone. It is hard to say goodbye to those who have died. While some of these quotes about death may provide you a bit of comfort during your difficult time, you may be on the lookout for signs that you may need some outside help with managing your grief.
Start by reading books about grief and read until we meet again quotes so death doesn’t seem so jarring. You may also consider seeking the help of a professional, a minister, or at least a friend.