The details determine the atmosphere of an event. Nowhere is this more important than at a funeral. Funeral music plays a significant role in the overall tone.
And can influence how people feel. Choosing uplifting funeral songs for a memorial slideshow, in-person funeral, or virtual funeral service can help people feel love and celebration.
Jump ahead to these sections:
- Uplifting Funeral Songs to Remember Dad or Grandpa
- Uplifting Funeral Songs to Remember Mom or Grandma
- Uplifting Funeral Songs to Remember a Sibling
- Uplifting Gospel Funeral Songs
Here we’ve compiled a list of some of the most uplifting songs. There is something for everybody on this list of music. Some songs will help people mourn, while others will lift their spirits. All of them will help as they grieve the passing of someone who mattered to them.
COVID-19 tip: If you're hosting a Zoom funeral using a service like GatheringUs, test your audio before the service to ensure online guests can hear the music. If the music doesn't sound great, make a digital playlist and send it to your guests before the funeral.
There’s no doubt that dads and grandpas leave a lasting impression. Here are a few songs that may be perfect for their service. If you need more songs, check out our list of the best funeral songs for dad.
Tip: Picking the music for the funeral might be just one small part of your post-death tasks and challenges. You can prioritize and work through those challenges with the help of our post-loss checklist.
1. “All Must Be Well” by Matthew Smith
This old hymn set to modern music is the perfect combination of classic and contemporary. It encourages us to hope for a better future.
2. “Hero” by Mariah Carey
“Hero” pays tribute to the strength and determination of the deceased.
3. “Smile” by Nat King Cole
Nat King Cole’s hit is simple in its message. Remember to smile even when your heart is breaking.
4. “Always Look on the Bright Side of Life” by Monty Python
This song’s message will likely remind the bereaved of their loved one. Its message is something many people have heard from their dad or grandpa.
5. “Bring me Sunshine” by Morecambe and Wise
This upbeat song reminds mourners of the joy that the deceased brought to all in their life.
6. “My Way” by Frank Sinatra
Did the patriarch of your life live on his terms? Then this may be the perfect song to play at his funeral.
7. “What a Wonderful World” by Louise Armstrong
An uplifting reminder that life is beautiful. Play it to celebrate the life of the deceased.
8. “Live Forever” by Oasis
The ones we love will always live on through our memories.
9. “I’m Gonna Live Until I Die” by Frank Sinatra
This is the perfect song to play for someone who lived life on their own terms.
10. “Three Little Birds” by Bob Marley
If your dad ever told you not to worry, then this song will resonate with you.
Mothers and grandmothers can be the heartbeat of the family. During the funeral, use music to pay tribute to them. It can help everyone grieve the loss of a precious woman. For our full list of songs for mom, read our list of the best funeral tracks to remember mom.
11. “Happy Days are Here Again” by Ben Selvin and the Crooners
Add a little joy to the funeral procession. Playing this uplifting song. It is full of happiness and hope.
12. “We’ll Meet Again” by Vera Lynn
If you want an uplifting song that has an emotional touch, Vera Lynn’s song is a great choice.
13. “The Best” by Tina Turner
Many of us feel like our mom or grandmother is the best person we know. This song makes a perfect tribute.
14. “Amazing Grace” by Jennifer Hudson
Every rendition of Amazing Grace is uplifting. But there is something powerful about this version by Jennifer Hudson.
15. “The Show Must Go On” by Queen
This song may not immediately seem like a funeral song. It certainly lends itself to the idea that even when someone passes away, life must go on.
16. “I Will Always Love You” by Whitney Houston
Encourage mourners to remember that the love they feel for a person will never disappear.
17. “Over the Rainbow” by Judy Garland
This is one of the most played songs for a funeral. It perfectly depicts the joyful place that our loved ones go when they pass on.
18. “Wind Beneath My Wings” by Bette Midler
For many of us, the special women in our life give us hope and strength. This Bette Midler song is a wonderful tribute.
19. “Don’t Worry. Be Happy.” by Bobby McFerrin
As the song title suggests, this tune is about finding a sliver of joy even when life gets hard.
20. “You are the Sunshine of My Life” by Stevie Wonder
Sweet, sincere, and uplifting. This beautiful song is a terrific way to remember the special woman in your life.
Tip: Be sure to add each of the songs to a digital playlist and share the link with the funeral director. We recommend getting a premium streaming service so you can skip the ads, like Spotify Premium.
The bond between siblings is forever. Remember your brother or sister with one of these lovely songs.
21. “I Will Remember You” by Sarah McLachlan
While this song is emotional, it is also uplifting. Even though someone is gone, their presence will be remembered forever.
22. “In My Life” by The Beatles
In many ways, this song is about reflection. Play it and share your favorite memories of the departed.
23. “For a Dancer” by Jackson Browne
This poetic melody is a perfect tribute to the loss of someone. It would be even more suitable if your sibling was a dancer.
24. “You Were Loved” by Whitney Houston
A simple and uplifting message that is perfect for a funeral.
25. “Across the Great Divide” by Kate Wolfe
This warm and uplifting song can remind us that our loved one is somewhere better.
26. “Time of My Life” by Jennifer Warnes and Bill Medley
Some of the best memories probably include your siblings. This song is a great reminder of those times.
27. “You Can Close Your Eyes” by James Taylor
A song that is beautiful and uplifting. It’s a memorable way to pay tribute to someone who has been a significant part of your life.
28. “Follow the Sun” by Xavier Rudd
This song isn’t about dying, but more about how a person lived.
29. “Everywhere” by Michelle Branch
This song is spiritual and uplifting in every sense. It reminds us that we are never truly alone.
30. “Spirit in the Sky” by Norman Greenbaum
If you want everyone to feel a little more at peace, then this song is an excellent choice.
Friendship is a special bond between two people. Songs such as these can help mourners celebrate the life and friendship of a very special person.
31. “Dropkick Me Jesus” by Bobby Bare
This song has a more humorous flair to it. It may be ideal for a celebration of someone’s life, rather than a funeral.
32. “Goodbye My Friend” by Linda Ronstadt
When you need a simple way to say goodbye. This uplifting song is a great choice.
33. “I'll Remember” by Madonna
A wonderful tribute to a friend. Reminisce over memories while it plays.
34. “Shine Down” by The Riley School of Dance
A song that is a frequent choice for mourners grieving the loss of a friend.
35. “Wish You Were Here” by Pink Floyd
When a friend passes, this sentiment is often felt.
36. “Stand By Me” by Ben E. King
This classic song about friendship makes saying goodbye just a little easier.
37. “Perfect Day” by Lou Reed
Time well spent is a wonderful thing to hold onto. Especially as you grieve the loss of a friend.
38. “You Are Not Alone” by Michael Jackson
The death of a loved one may feel very isolating. But this song reminds you you aren’t alone.
39. “I’ll Sleep When I’m Dead” by Bon Jovi
If your friend had a sense of humor, then this may be a great song to add to the collection.
Tip: Have you thought about how you're going to memorialize your friend? Consider some of the best ways to remember someone, including turning a loved one's ashes into diamonds or creating a custom urn.
Uplifting Gospel Funeral Songs
If you are planning a faith-based funeral consider adding some gospel songs. Gospel moves and inspires people. Here are a few of the most uplifting songs that keep faith as the centerpiece of the message. Check out our picks for the best gospel funeral songs for more.
40. “All We Ask” by Donnie McClurkin
A beautifully written song that uplifts and inspires all who hear it.
41. “God is Here” by Karen Clark Sheard
Simple and eloquent--this song is sure to help people as they grieve.
42. “I’ll See You Again” by Richard Smallwood
Sometimes, all we need is a reminder that we’ll see our loved one again someday.
43. “Jesus Promised Me a Home Over There” by Jennifer Hudson
A reminder that the deceased have a home with God.
44. “Yes God is Real” by Bishop G.E. Patterson
Faith is often what helps people get through the grieving process. This song is a reminder to hold on to your faith even during difficult times.
45. “Sweet Chariot” by Eric Clapton
This classic gospel song is a lovely way to add peace to a funeral.
46. “Make Me a Channel of Your Peace” by Susan Boyle
Susan Boyle’s voice alone is sure to stir an uplifting feeling. But the addition of the melody and lyrics makes this song even more moving.
47. “Beautiful Savior” by Live Church Worship
Sometimes, a reminder of God’s guidance is what mourners need to hear during a funeral.
48. “Here I am Lord” by Dan Schute
This beautiful song is sure to comfort people. And it can help people focus on their faith during the passing of a loved one.
49. “Marvelous” by Walter Hawkins
Mourners will be nothing short of moved after listening to this uplifting song.
50. “I Shall Wear a Crown” by Richard Smallwood
For people of faith, the reminder of what is to come after death can help them with their grief.
Uplifting Funeral Songs Bring Peace
Song choice can transform the atmosphere of a funeral. The songs listed here can bring peace, comfort, and maybe even joy to a difficult time.