An Open When letter is a great way to support someone who’s far away. But you can also give an Open When letter to anyone in your life, near are far. Whether you want to wish your loved one a happy birthday, cheer them up when they're feeling down, or congratulate them on an achievement, an Open When letter could be the perfect choice.
Jump ahead to these sections:
- What to Put Inside an Open When Letter to Your Partner or Spouse
- What to Put Inside an Open When Letter to a Friend or Best Friend
- What to Put Inside an Open When Letter to a Sibling
- What to Put Inside an Open When Letter to Your Kids or Grandkids
- When Can You Give An Open When Letter?
If you’ve decided to give your partner, friend, or family member an Open When letter, you might be wondering: what exactly should you put in an Open When letter? What you write in your letter, and whether you add a gift, depends on your letter receiver.
Below, we’ll give you some ideas for what you can put in an Open When letter, depending on who you’re sending your letter to.
What to Put Inside an Open When Letter to Your Partner or Spouse
Giving your partner an Open When letter is a thoughtful and unique way to show your love and support. Whether your spouse or significant other is traveling, or you just want another way to communicate at home, Open When letters are a helpful option.
If you need some inspiration to get you started, here are some ideas for Open When messages for a partner.
- Open When We Can’t Be Together: They can’t keep us apart for long! I miss you and can’t wait to hug you again.
- Open When We Had an Argument: We’ll get through this and be all the stronger for it.
- Open When We’re About to See Each Other Again: I can’t wait to finally see you again and hear about everything you’ve experienced.
- Open When You Miss Me: I miss you more. I know you’re doing amazing things, and I can’t wait to see you again.
- Open When You’re Stressed: Take a deep breath. You’ve got this.
- Open When You Need a Break: Enclosed is one voucher for a day of relaxation, courtesy of your loving spouse.
Adding a gift to your Open When letter to a spouse can make the letter even more meaningful. A small gift is a great way to support a partner who’s far from home or just express your support. Here are some ideas for gifts you could include in your Open When letter to your significant other.
- Massage: Give the gift of a massage, either with a professional gift card or with a luxurious at-home massage.
- Scented t-shirt: For a partner who’s far from home, you can send a t-shirt, pillowcase, or other item spritzed with your perfume or cologne.
- Photo collage: If you want to remind your partner of the good times, you can put together a photo collage, either on paper or online with a virtual scrapbook.
- Meal delivery: Another virtual gift you can include in your Open When letter to a spouse is a certificate for meal delivery. Just write down or print out the web address and include it in your letter.
- Playlist: Put together all of the songs that you love to listen to together and share it with your spouse or partner.
- Wine subscription: You can include a certificate or web address for a wine subscription service in your letter.
What to Put Inside an Open When Letter to a Friend or Best Friend
Open When letters are also great ways to show how much you care for a friend or best friend, too. In an Open When letter to a friend, you can share your support, convey congratulations, or just offer a laugh and an opportunity to reminisce.
Here are some ideas for messages you might include in an Open When letter to a close friend.
- Open When You Get There: I already miss you so much, and I can’t wait to see you again! But you’re awesome, and you’re going to do amazing things.
- Open When You Need a Hug: Close your eyes, wrap your arms around your shoulders, and squeeze as hard as you can. That was from me!
- Open When Something Doesn’t Go Your Way: It’s all uphill from here! I know you can do this.
- Open When You Make a New Friend: Hey, you better not be replacing me! Great job putting yourself out there, and I knew everyone would love you.
- Open When I Make You Mad: I don’t know what I did, but whatever it is, I hope you can forgive me! You know our friendship means the world.
- Open When You Need a Hand: Here’s a little something to help you through it. If there’s anything you need, you can call on me.
For any Open When letter to a friend—whether it’s an Open When It’s Your Birthday letter, an Open When You Miss Me letter, or any other type of Open When letter—you can also include a gift. A gift in your Open When letter to a friend will help them feel like you’re there with them, in person, even if you’re not. Even a small gift can be enough to make someone’s day.
- Friendship bracelet: Buy or craft a friendship bracelet that fits in your Open When letter envelope.
- Scratcher tickets: You can give your friend the chance to win a million dollars...or not.
- Candy: You can give your friend some of their favorite sweet treats to show how much you care.
- Funny fridge magnet: Include a humorous fridge magnet that will make your friend smile every time they see it.
- Dollar origami: Money lets your recipient buy a gift of their own! You should only send a small amount of cash, but you can make it even more special by folding it into origami.
What to Put Inside an Open When Letter to a Sibling
If you want to support your sibling, or even strengthen your bond with a sincere message, you can give an Open When letter and gift. An Open When letter is a great option if your sibling is leaving for college or moving far away, but you can also give them any time you’d like.
Your Open When message to a sibling should be thoughtful and straight-from-the-heart. But you can also use one of the message ideas below to help you get started.
- Open When You Need a Laugh: You’re in luck! Here are some of my favorite jokes to put a smile on your face.
- Open When You’re Sad: You’ve always been there to cheer me up, so I sent you something to help you if you’re feeling down.
- Open When You’re Missing Home: Here’s a photo to remind you of the kind of craziness you escaped!
- Open When You Move Out: I know you hate cooking, so here’s a delivery service subscription to help you out.
- Open When You Need Some Sibling Love: I’m so glad it was you I got stuck with.
- Open When You Did Something Awesome: Wow, congratulations! I always knew you’d make it big someday.
Adding a gift to your Open When letter can help you convey your love and support even more. If you want to give your sibling a gift with your Open When letter, consider the gift ideas below.
- Tickets: If you’re sure your sibling will open the letter before a certain date, you can give tickets to a concert or another event that they’d love.
- Stickers: A sheet of lighthearted stickers can lift your sibling’s spirits.
- Birthday candles: If you give your sibling an Open When It’s Your Birthday letter, you can add in some birthday candles to share in the celebration.
- Beautiful bookmark: For a sibling who loves to read or study, you can give a decorative bookmark that fits in an envelope.
- Trading cards: You can give your sibling trading cards or another toy they loved playing with when you were kids.
What to Put Inside an Open When Letter to Your Kids or Grandkids
Giving an Open When letter to your child or grandchild can be especially meaningful. You can make the “Open When” occasion short-term, such as an Open When You Miss Home letter, or longer-term, like an Open When I’m Gone letter.
Longer-term Open When letters to a child or grandchild have the added benefit of becoming a type of miniature time-capsule.
Below are some message ideas to help inspire you if you’re writing an Open When letter to a child or grandchild.
- Open When You Buy Your First House: Wow, you’re really doing it! Congratulations, kiddo.
- Open When You Turn 40: Just remember, you’ll always be my baby!
- Open When I’m Gone: I wish I could be with you always, but I know you’ll be just fine.
- Open When You’re Ready: Here’s something that will always help you remember me.
- Open When Your Have Your First Child: Amazing, isn’t it? You’re going to be an amazing parent.
- Open When You Need Me: You’re doing great, and I love you.
A gift in your Open When letter to a child or grandchild can be more sentimental and help them remember the past. Here are some ideas for gifts to put in your Open When letter to future generations.
- Hand-written family recipe: Pass on a beloved family recipe to future generations.
- Family photo: You can include a sentimental family photo with your Open When letter to a child or grandchild.
- Seed paper: Seed paper gives your child or grandchild a gift that they can care for and nurture for years to come.
- Locket: Insert a photo into a small locket for someone who likes wearing sentimental jewelry.
- Baby shoes: You can pass on a small family heirloom that your child or grandchild can give to their child.
If you want to write Open When letters for a parent, read our guide on writing Open When letters for Mom for examples.
When Can You Give An Open When Letter?
Open When letters are a great way to stay connected to your friends and loved ones. They differ from normal letters in that you prepare them well ahead of time. And that alone is often enough to show someone just how much they mean to you and how much you truly care.
You can give Open When letters in person for your recipient to open later when you’re not there, or you can send them in the mail. You also have the option to send individual Open When letters or a package of Open When letters for different occasions.
Giving an Open When letter is an act of kindness and support that’s perfect for nearly any time, whenever you want to show someone in your life that you’re there for them.